CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Smart-Link transitions (in/out of zoom) have been sped up substantially since beta. Sniper Rifle was a big offender in beta and has had perhaps the most change, but all weapons are much faster to zoom in and out and it makes a big difference in the flow of combat.

What about the actual scope of the Sniper? Is there any way to make that thing smaller? It takes up so much of the screen while the player isn't zoomed/scoped.

I dont get why people want an OP magnum... Use a rifle instead?

The skin of the weapon is irrelevant. People just want a useful utility weapon off spawn that has a high learning curve. Having it be a pistol just plays onto our nostalgia. And there's something really badass about a hyper lethal pistol in a skilled users hand :)

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dont get why people want an OP magnum... Use a rifle instead?

It gives the rifles a purpose. Let the magnum destroy people quickly in close quarters, but have the rifles be easier at long range so the pistol takes more skill to use at range. It's a balance thing. You're given something you can use effectively off spawn, but you can't control the entire map with it.

We are currently focused on AR/Magnum and the Magnum has been buffed considerably. IMO this is the best the Magnum has felt in Halo since at least CE (if not ever).

Let the AR quick camo and we're on to something.

We still went from "chief slayed a bunch of humans for whatever reason" to "chief honorably killed mean terrorists to save the good folks"

I thought 343 might try to blur the line between good humans, bad aliens, sneaky ONI, create some sort of fallen hero who is in some sort of psychic strain or some "moral dilemma" ...he doesn't have to be the evil in the end but I think it is a little boring to make him that untouchable white knight

Don't get me wrong, i still think this might be one of the best Halo stories so far, I just thought this might end up beeing a little more than the typical "true good vs true evil"

If the MC had gone in and shot up a bunch of innocent people that would have been the worst example of writing in the Halo universe. It would've destroyed his entire character that has been expanded upon in multiple books, comics, four video games etc. It might have sounded cool but it would have been trash writing from the ground up. His character has to stay consistent and any changes have to be subtle and done with logic pertaining to the already established character and the situation he finds himself in. Just writing in that suddenly Chief lost all critical thinking skills and that hes now upset so he shot everyone after going for over a decade of talking about how calm and intelligent spartans are that would be fairly bad lol. I think their only real misstep so far was revealing whats actually happening far too quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 6

"If you liked the Halo 1 pistol then you're going to LOVE this!" 

Yea, remember that? 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

HYPE: 

We are currently focused on AR/Magnum and the Magnum has been buffed considerably. IMO this is the best the Magnum has felt in Halo since at least CE (if not ever).

:walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Good to know the Magnum will have a greater presence!

Comment on the lore regarding Chief's alignment, it would be easier for the ONI to slander a legendary hero who vanished for half a decade than it is to spit in their face and call them scum, it is the way of the cowardly beast. I'm not surprised a cunning asshole like Del Rio takes his petty shit against John 117 to the choir. Wasn't he supposed to be court marshaled for conspiring to leave the MC behind on Requiem?

E3 is June 16-18... anyone know which of the days Microsoft is likely to release Halo 5 info?

Have surgery on the 16th...  :wutface:

E3 is June 16-18... anyone know which of the days Microsoft is likely to release Halo 5 info?

Have surgery on the 16th... :wutface:

It's the 15th

While I'm very, very excited for it, this is quite a bold statement.

Either way I pray there'll be a second beta this summer. October is in too long.

Have surgery on the 16th...  :wutface:

Xbox conference is on the 15th, you're good.

Xbox conference is on the 15th, you're good.

Just realized I have a big exam that night.  :wutface:  :wutface:  :wutface:  FML and business finance.  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hmm. I'm guessing you guys decreased the ROF of the magnum with that buff? You made it sound like it is pretty powerful now, with that ROF and that buff, wouldnt it be TOO powerful? I felt like you could spam it with ease in the beta, especially at close range. @@Sal1ent

Good to know the Magnum will have a greater presence!

Comment on the lore regarding Chief's alignment, it would be easier for the ONI to slander a legendary hero who vanished for half a decade than it is to spit in their face and call them scum, it is the way of the cowardly beast. I'm not surprised a cunning asshole like Del Rio takes his petty shit against John 117 to the choir. Wasn't he supposed to be court marshaled for conspiring to leave the MC behind on Requiem?

is it clear in HTT that Del Rio is still in the UNSC or is he a politician now? I listen in my car on the way to work, so I don't always catch all the details.

is it clear in HTT that Del Rio is still in the UNSC or is he a politician now? I listen in my car on the way to work, so I don't always catch all the details.

He's a politician now, but I'd imagine the reason being to keep appearances...

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point the game could have no multiplayer and I'd still be excited.

I don't give a shit about campaign but if it had no multiplayer it would be a better game just because you would not see how bad Halos multiplayer devolved.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Smart-Link transitions (in/out of zoom) have been sped up substantially since beta. Sniper Rifle was a big offender in beta and has had perhaps the most change, but all weapons are much faster to zoom in and out and it makes a big difference in the flow of combat.

WOOOOOOO

:ghost: :weback: :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 7

In all honesty I don't mind if 343 doesn't get the starting weapons right until after we put more time into testing the weapon sandbox as a community. What I do want 343 to get right before the game goes gold is the weapon/power-up placements and the times for them. I'm hoping that 343 makes everything spawn more frequently since weapons(hoping that power-ups are also) are now on static timers. I want to see power-ups spawn every one minute and rockets & other weapons that are of the same tier as them to spawn every two minutes.

My only concern with not having the starting weapons right from day 1 is how that could turn off newer, lesser-skilled, or less loyal players (loyal to halo, not 343 :P).  I want the MP population to be as healthy as possible, which means not turning off players within the first few games by having fucked up spawn weapons.  I think AR/Pistol could accomplish this provided they get it correct right off the bat.

I like static timers too and having powerups and power weapons offset like that so they spawn at the same time every-other cycle could be interesting.  I do remember one issue from the beta though, where there would be 2 or 3 people at once that all had the sword.  Thats not an issue with most other power weapons though since the ammo is used up well within 2 minutes.  Hopefully they will reduce how much "ammo" the swords have to avoid that.

There will be LAN support for Halo 5?

Or at least "LAN" support, meaning game is playing trough local network, but need internet connection to ping xbox live servers.

Is there any news on Breakout? Last I heard OBJ was being tested (1 flag?). Also, is there a response to the 3rd player spectating camera criticism? Thanks.

Is there any news on Breakout? Last I heard OBJ was being tested (1 flag?). Also, is there a response to the 3rd player spectating camera criticism? Thanks.

Last we heard they were testing a neutral objective that spawns in the middle of the map after a certain amount of time, a flag specifically. 

There will be LAN support for Halo 5?

Or at least "LAN" support, meaning game is playing trough local network, but need internet connection to ping xbox live servers.

The second one.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Last we heard they were testing a neutral objective that spawns in the middle of the map after a certain amount of time, a flag specifically.

They should test neutral flag and neutral bomb. That way there are two different options for different playstyles. One is pull the objective into friendly territory and the other is push into enemy territory.

And for those who think bomb will be like S&D or whatever, have an almost instant arm time. Like .25 or .5 seconds and no disarm, or an instant disarm time since the bomb carrier probably won't be able to sprint. That'll keep the game pace fairly fast imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quick responses, as promised:

This idea is interesting but it would take a ton of tuning and balancing to make it work. It's definitely not something that could be implemented for Halo 5 (even if we wanted to). One downside to this approach is that it softens the tradeoff for sprinting and makes the direct impact of that tradeoff (inability to shoot accurately) less clear. We would need to invest a lot of time in refining the player feedback (through the HUD, audio) to ensure that all players understand what is happening when their accuracy drops substantially. If done poorly, this would feel random to players who don't have the benefit of understanding what is happening behind the scenes. In general we have found (through substantial testing and player feedback) that analog relationships between different game states are very challenging to communicate and often lead to player confusion (and therefore frustration).

Thanks for the responses in this post. Everything in that post I'm glad to hear (specifically considering that a few of my biggest concerns about the game have been addressed). But I have a question about the red if you don't mind.

Exactly what feedback are you looking to address in regards to to players sprinting with less auto-aim on their weapons? Common sense dictates that if you're sprinting at Spartan capable speeds, you're not going to be Robert Vogel in regards to your aim. If that's honestly the biggest deterrent for why you feel you shouldn't implement this capability then I feel the need to try and convince you to reconsider. Having the weapon's reticule expand exponentially is a direct visual cue and more than sufficient enough information that your aim shall not be as accurate compared to if you were walking normally.

I'm not sure what audio cues you would implement though to let the player know his aim is going to suffer... Might I recommend the Halo 3 BR sound effects?  :kappa:

In all seriousness, in regards to the blue highlight, could I ask you to expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean by "softens the tradeoff for sprinting." The tradeoff being your shields not being able to regenerate, correct? If that's the case, I definitely disagree. If anything it hardens the impact of this tradeoff... 

Sprint, as it currently serves, is a defensive tool. You cannot argue this. Allowing the player the ability to shoot (possibly control grenades) gives the player an offensive element to this ability, in which at this point does it expand the meta and offer a new level of balance. Because if your shields cannot regenerate while charging an enemy, you make yourself even MORE vulnerable than you would have been if you were to run normally to a position and regain shield simultaneously. 

You would be surprised at the attention to timing that players take advantage of when they know their shields are coming back, prior to pushing a position. For example, popping out the absolute second your shields fully recharge to make the most out of your time alive is something not to be overlooked.

I hope you respond. Thanks for reading.

• Upvote (+1) 6