CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Played some Reach today for kicks. It's crazy how much Bungie compromised to get those extra polygons on screen. The jaggies from the lack of anti-aliasing are unbelievable.

My main takeaway though, is that I'm so fucking glad 343 committed to 60fps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have 3 questions for you @@Sal1ent:

1. Is the goal for H5 to merge casual and competitive by forcing AR/Magnum starts and balancing them according? It seems like that is a goal, but it would be good to hear your thoughts on the matter and to know if this has been a concern/intention since the start?
  2. Is the abuse of Spartan Ability-chaining being limited in any way? We recognize the skill surrounding each ability on it's own which you have highlighted, so I am sure you can recognize the negative effects these abilities have which we have highlighted; ie. the over-ability to escape. Is anything like a universal resource pool being considered to limit chaining? An example of chaining is Sprint-jump, Thrust, Clambering to escape a dangerous situation while maintaining high-ground - this undermines basic combat strategy and the work done to achieve micro field advantages.
  3. Is unlimited sprint being removed? I feel like any balancing the shield delay brought to the table, is removed with the unlimited feature. The important thing here is providing movement abilities and options without oversaturating gameplay with movement - there has to be a balance of maneuverability vs positioning for players to make sense of whats going on. This extremely important for player retention, as well as viewer retention. You thoughts on this concept would be highly valued.

Thanks so much for your efforts so far.

• Upvote (+1) 2

just put as many rifles on the map as possible in areas not deemed power positions and we're good. Free da pistol boys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

just put as many rifles on the map as possible in areas not deemed power positions and we're good. Free da pistol boys.

What would be the point?

The number and influence of rifles as pickup should match the map design, not the team size.

What would be the point?

The number and influence of rifles as pickup should math the map design, not the team size.

huh? I didn't mention anything about team sizes lol. I want AR/Pistol to be the loadout for every playlist to keep everyone playing the same game, then we can have as many rifles each map for ppl to grab another weapon if they wish.  When I say as many rifles as possible i'm talking about the amount that each map can handle....i'm not saying put 2o rifles on EVERY map, that would be stupid.

I didn't think i'd have to spell that one out...

huh? I didn't mention anything about team sizes lol. I want AR/Pistol to be the loadout for every playlist to keep everyone playing the same game, then we can have as many rifles each map for ppl to grab another weapon if they wish. When I say as many rifles as possible i'm talking about the amount that each map can handle....i'm not saying put 2o rifles on EVERY map, that would be stupid.

I didn't think i'd have to spell that one out...

It did sound like it....

Poll is at 18-5 right now, in favor of AR + Buffed Pistol. :holmes:  @@Sal1ent   :holmes:  If this AR/Pistol combo is balanced properly, I'd like to see it used from the get-go in H5 HCS. Give it a chance, before switching to BR starts. Let the pros get used to it first before voicing their opinions - they might be the most knee-jerk BR fanboys ever  :bravo:

Also, for spectators, Pistol would be a nice change of pace from H2A BR slugfests.

Poll is at 18-5 right now, in favor of AR + Buffed Pistol. :holmes:  @@Sal1ent   :holmes:  If this AR/Pistol combo is balanced properly, I'd like to see it used from the get-go in H5 HCS. Give it a chance, before switching to BR starts. Let the pros get used to it first before voicing their opinions - they might be the most knee-jerk BR fanboys ever  :bravo:

Also, for spectators, Pistol would be a nice change of pace from H2A BR slugfests.

I'm still in favor of BR's for HCS playlist.

It's the go-to rifle, it should be equipped from the start. I'm okay with AR/Pistol for anything else though.

I really wouldn't love AR/Pistol shoved on me in every playlist considering my interest in H5 during the beta when BR starts were removed went from 10 to 0.

I'm still in favor of BR's for HCS playlist.

It's the go-to rifle, it should be equipped from the start. I'm okay with AR/Pistol for anything else though.

I really wouldn't love AR/Pistol shoved on me in every playlist considering my interest in H5 during the beta when BR starts were removed went from 10 to 0.

BR starts weren't removed though.

It went AR Pistol -> BR -> BR/AR.

BR starts weren't removed though.

It went AR Pistol -> BR -> BR/AR.

Last half-week it was AR/Pistol

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@VinFTW You shouldn't write off AR + Pistol, since AR is being nerfed, and Pistol is being buffed. 

Also, using the least skillful utility weapon as a starting weapon in the COMPETITIVE playlist is just dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@VinFTW You shouldn't write off AR + Pistol, since AR is being nerfed, and Pistol is being buffed. 

Also, using the least skillful utility weapon as a starting weapon in the COMPETITIVE playlist is just dumb.

We don't know that JUST yet. I'm going to wait for tweaks. Typically the BR is designed to be the #1/go-to weapon. If they change that, then let's have different starting weapons. If it's the best weapon and it's not starting in competitive playlists? That's dumb.

We don't know that JUST yet. I'm going to wait for tweaks. Typically the BR is designed to be the #1/go-to weapon. If they change that, then let's have different starting weapons. If it's the best weapon and it's not starting in competitive playlists? That's dumb.

Pistol already had the fastest kill time. Holmes has said that they're buffing the Pistol. Only buffs possible are range/accuracy, which would fix most beta complaints. 

Pistol already had the fastest kill time. Holmes has said that they're buffing the Pistol. Only buffs possible are range/accuracy, which would fix most beta complaints. 

Why would I want to use a pistol with an awful scope design when there's perfectly bad-ass looking rifles in the game? If I'm stuck using the pistol, when rifles are in the game, it will drop my interest pretty hard. 

This isn't Halo CE. Make the DMR act like the pistol then. It's aesthetically... weird. Idk how to describe it. 

I don't think it's asking too much to have some things for each person's tastes. Having just AR/Pistol would do a lot of damage to people who want BR starts, which a lot of people do. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Why would I want to use a pistol with an awful scope design when there's perfectly bad-ass looking rifles in the game? If I'm stuck using the pistol, when rifles are in the game, it will drop my interest pretty hard. 

This isn't Halo CE. Make the DMR act like the pistol then. It's aesthetically... weird. Idk how to describe it. 

I don't think it's asking too much to have some things for each person's tastes. Having just AR/Pistol would do a lot of damage to people who want BR starts, which a lot of people do. 

What about all the people who like Covvie Carbines? They find them on the map. 

Also, your argument is completely casual/subjective in nature, and therefore irrelevant for HCS settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What about all the people who like Covvie Carbines? They find them on the map. 

Also, your argument is completely casual/subjective in nature, and therefore irrelevant for HCS settings.

What's casual about wanting the rifle as the starting weapon? It's aesthetics. I don't think using the pistol for the HCS is going to help viewership at all. 

Last half-week it was AR/Pistol

Correct. I only got to play the last day and it was not BR start 

What's casual about wanting the rifle as the starting weapon? It's aesthetics. I don't think using the pistol for the HCS is going to help viewership at all. 

We picked the 1.85 second BR for competitive settings, over the DMR/LR/CC, mainly because of aesthetics. Seem sort of casual  :lxthul:

Also, Pistol is the least divisive utility weapon in the game, and its higher skill gap promotes using the whole sandbox more. People always complain about BR slugfests, with some Sniper & Rockets thrown in. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1