CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Let's be real honest right now. Do any of you honestly think sacrificing competitive merit for shitty gimmicky mechanics is ever going to make Halo successful? ....

The more I think about the various posts the more I am inclined to see h3 as the golden age PARTLY BECAUSE the BR was not able to ping across large maps.

I am inclined to think AR SRKP may be very good for halo.

Let's be real honest right now. Do any of you honestly think sacrificing competitive merit for shitty gimmicky mechanics is ever going to make Halo successful? 

No, but with 343 making the settings, we sure as hell know the answer is yes. With that being said, though, most obviously we should still try to agree on something to push for it.

All of my arguments are based off three fundamental assumptions to Halo design:

1) The individual must be powerful enough to make a difference consistently

-The player needs a weapon off spawn that can compete directly at all ranges while being the best at none. (this is where the DMR oversteps)

This I completely agree with. But just how close to the DMR at range is the question? At some point you may as well just use the DMR instead.

The more I think about the various posts the more I am inclined to see h3 as the golden age PARTLY BECAUSE the BR was not able to ping across large maps.

I am inclined to think AR SRKP may be very good for halo.

BR's first bullet was 100% accurate...so yes, it could ping across maps.  Just... not actually try to kill people.

• Upvote (+1) 2

BR's first bullet was 100% accurate...so yes, it could ping across maps. Just... not actually try to kill people.

Just don't recall it as a problem.

Just don't recall it as a problem.

Projectile.  Bullet travel time.  Netcode.

The BR was a mess online, especially in BTB.

I think for me movement should only be locked down by a power weapon and harassed only at long range by rifle. Anything close range apart from sword/sprint combo should be killer pistol manageable.

I repeat "for me"

This is less the case with buffed pistol, which is a big thing that's being stressed throughout the thread.  A lot of the reason the pistol felt shitty at medium range was the flinch/recoil, which we're asking to be removed in order to make the pistol remain competitive at medium range.  And regarding Long Range, already addressed.

Again, we don't know how buffed the pistol actually is. It can be something really minor with a BR nerf which is why it is winning for all we know, or it could be buffed because they made the bullet magnetism stupidly high. I have never seen something come out how we ask or hope for since NB mod (even that had issues such as spread pistol and some wierd minor bugs). Even when they decided to re-release already created games that they only had to port, they fucked it up and didn't deliver on promises. 

How you can be so optimistic that 343i will deliver the pistol you hope and dream of is actually asinine to me. So far their track record is 10 bad decisions for every good decision at least (I would argue more). 

Also, the BR first bullet was not 100% accurate, but it was accurate enough that it only mattered on maps like vahalla. I think it was like 0.05 degrees or something from when someone pulled apart the code, but I can't quite remember.

@MRGreen. The DMR oversteps the good at all, best at none because there is a range where it is better than the sniper on average, assuming the sniper is actually hard to use, and better than the other rifles on average. 

Projectile. Bullet travel time. Netcode.

The BR was a mess online, especially in BTB.

BTB was my favorite in h3. Invasion reach. Slayer h4 and now in reach (invasion seems so slow in comparison).

And even if the system could detect a disconnect (assuming you're suggesting there should be less of a penalty?) people would abuse it manually easily.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BTB was my favorite in h3. Invasion reach. Slayer h4 and now in reach (invasion seems so slow in comparison).

I've spent way more time in BTB in every title since Halo 2 than I have in 4v4 playlists.  I think it's a more true sense of what Halo actually is, and better displays the sandbox than the more limited scope of 4v4s.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm Sorry but I've got to speak my mind here.

No Invasion but more to come on larger scale MP. Stay tuned!

This disappoints me I really wish Halo Reach wasn't treated like a plague when it came to its game types, I miss Headhunters, Generator Defense and Invasion they were fun and yet its being shunned for gametypes like Dominion and Regicide which after a month went dead in terms of player count and overall fun (at least to me they were seriously too complicated to get into).

Damn it, that confirms Elites are a no-go too. $10 says Firefight is going to be confirmed to be omitted in Halo 5 next. This sucks...

Okay fine, so online multiplayer itself is out but what about Custom Games? would it be possible to add gametypes that wouldn't be in online multiplayer rotation but in a custom game? or does custom games have to match online multiplayer in terms of game types? because I wouldn't mind older gametypes like headhunters or invasion or generator defense being custom game only game types so long as I would get to play them in a newer Halo game outside of Halo Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Getting extremely OT here but Tiberius got me thinking about wind in sports--surely it would be more competitive to play indoors for a lot of ball sports? Obv this won't happen, but in theory?

I think you brought home the issue that holds the competitive crowd in chains. You think that if you find raw competition to be entertaining then everyone else must also (that demonstrates narcissistic tendencies but I digress).

People want to have FUN playing halo. If getting pinged across the map occurs so often that they cease being entertained then what would you expect them to do next?

Oh I just love being frustrated, I think halo is the goat for frustrating me.

You got to realize people enjoy playing and getting better. Learning to play better comes natural, unconscious, and even an inate drive from within IF they game offers something in the mean time.

I can't imagine anyone saying, I don't enjoy this game because I have too much trouble freely moving about, but I want to be like cT so I will put up with it.

No... They say, dude I got pooned but it is so much fun to play I won't stop because I know I will get better.

The true underlining problem is the game needs to make the challenge of learning enjoyable. Being pinged across the map by everyone on the other team can actually hinder that need.

and if the ranking system functions as intended then new players wont ever have to face people that are leagues above them, they would also be facing newer or less experienced players.

the game shouldn't be balanced around players that shouldn't be going up against each other in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Getting extremely OT here but Tiberius got me thinking about wind in sports--surely it would be more competitive to play indoors for a lot of ball sports? Obv this won't happen, but in theory?

I mean you could argue that adapting to wind is a skill and you can tell where it is coming from and how powerful. It could be a disadvantage, but I digress. It is small if anything. 

I mean you could argue that adapting to wind is a skill and you can tell where it is coming from and how powerful. It could be a disadvantage, but I digress. It is small if anything. 

What about air pressure in footballs?

and if the ranking system functions as intended then new players wont ever have to face people that are leagues above them, they would also be facing newer or less experienced players.

the game shouldn't be balanced around players that shouldn't be going up against each other in the first place.

I play against people of my own skill set, and I still like AR starts for the reasons i articulated previously. Again, you should not assume that people will enjoy BR starts just because you do. That type of assumption is foolish. And to declare they should like BR starts is approaching narcissism.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I suppose but what if one team doesn't have to adapt for it dies down?

I want to start a competitiveness in sports thread. I'm mainly interested in soccer. I mean, calls aren't even reviewed--there is so much power to the refs. Stopping the game to review hurts the game, but so does getting calls wrong--especially calls that lead to a goal (PK) for it's so low scoring. At least there's goal line technology now...but I still can't help but think despite having a game time of 90 minutes + change, there's high variance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Regicide...(at least to me they were seriously too complicated to get into).

Wow...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Regicide: Person with highest score becomes King, killing King rewards you with more points

How on earth is that a hard concept?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I play against people of my own skill set, and I still like AR starts for the reasons i articulated previously. Again, you should not assume that people will enjoy BR starts just because you do. That type of assumption is foolish. And to declare they should like BR starts is approaching narcissism.

at no point in my post did I say, "they should like BR starts because I do", dont put words in my mouth, if new players want to play AR starts than they can play it all they want. the point of my post is that entire game shouldn't be balanced around the logic of removing things that newer players are getting stomped by.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent

About breakout could we maybe do something about the skybox? Aka lower it or create some kind of barrier to prevent plays like xboxdvr.com/Snipe+Three/438a1b84-7b37-47b2-b2fb-23d652c28104 It was funny at first but realistically you could nade just about every important position with some team coordination from the spawn, good nades in general aren't an issue, and it just seems a little... cheesy I guess since its a 1 life round based gametype.

I really wish I'd manually saved all of my beta clips as they're almost all gone now just due to recording newer stuff

Regicide: Person with highest score becomes King, killing King rewards you with more points

How on earth is that a hard concept?

the game type was broken...

at no point in my post did I say, "they should like BR starts because I do", dont put words in my mouth, if new players want to play AR starts than they can play it all they want. the point of my post is that entire game shouldn't be balanced around the logic of removing things that newer players are getting stomped by.

And again you should not assume that BR starts should be the case because you find them more entertaining. How isn't that clear from my post?

I love how the guys on Halo Waypoint made a thread about this thread calling us the ridiculous ones.  :bman:

• Upvote (+1) 3