CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I hope there'll be Elites playable ...

They are called "SPARTAN ABILITIES" for a reason

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I know you've heard this many times before but I want to ask you about Halo 5's ranking system and give you people on Waypoint's, mine and all my friend's honest opinions on them.

SR - I hate to sound totally negative about SR but I can't help but feel (my friends included) that SR are well... boring. Nobody has ever said ''I can't wait to be SR 36'' but I've heard loads say ''I can't wait to be a General Grade 4''. SR just doesn't have the same feel to it as the older levelling systems do (H3 and Reach).

CSR - All I have to say on this is please don't think that we all have big badass teams to roll into Slayer and totally kick ass every single game. I speak for the people who believe that individual performance matter. I know some will say ''Well why don't you just focus on SR?'' or ''Play Rumble Pit'' but truth is CSR, in Halo 5 has more of an importance and again I refer back to the fact that SR is boring.

Summary.

• Go back to the old levelling system. H3 ranks with the cR system from Reach is my dream.
  • Don't forget about people who don't have teams and make individual performance matter.

I gotta say though, I played the beta and racked up 2 days 4 hours of gameplay - I loved it. In my opinion Halo 5  is shaping up to be a legendary addition to the series. :) 

I really enjoy this myth that compromising competitive settings is going to make us successful. Anybody remember "We have decided to reinstate sprint for version 2 of the MLG settings to allow the settings to better appeal to casual players and spectators"? When something is not an objectively good element for play and you keep it in, it does not grow the scene. It never has. There isn't a single time in any competitive game that I can think of someone adding bullshit mechanics to the game and it becoming a more successful game. Under this logic, Brawl would have been more successful than Melee because it appealed to casuals more, or having items on during play would grow the scene. Hell this logic means that Mario Kart is the most successful competitive game of all time. Oh wait, no. That is mario party. Casual games inherently don't become competitive games because of the fact that they are not designed to do that. When you add mechanics that do not appeal to the people who want to compete, you HURT your scene even if it is slightly more appealing to casuals because player retention is more important. A casual can eventually find a hardcore experience fun because of it's merits (or they aren't the type to ever find it good), but a lost competitive player will never come back.

Obviously the AR isn't quite the same, but it isn't making the game more competitive either. Halo Reach was more casual friendly and it killed Halo. Halo 4 was also more casual friendly and it nailed the coffin for Halo. There are other issues at play but it certainly doesn't serve as evidence to support this case. Also you seem to be missing one huge argument that I have been fighting for since reach that for whatever reason nobody else seems to think is viable:

Use the loadout system. Give casuals the option to play with AR off the start, but without forcing everybody else to as well. This one option single handedly strikes down the whole arugment. Sure they might not like to play against people playing with a BR off the start, but people like that would also complain about the Pistol being OP so it doesn't really matter.

Umm... Halo and MLG were way more popular when halo 2 came out despite halo 1s higher skill gap lol.

Hello, I would like to bring up a concern of mine on the Halo Waypoint forums. First off, groups: Groups were a feture on the old Halo Bungie forums that were incredibly effective way at organizing, building, and retaining the community. Instead of going though the tedious work of concistantly getting randoms together on forums and such and then keep in contact with them, a group leader could say "Halo 3 Gamenight at 7:00PM EST tonight!" and there would always be a full lobby guarenteed. With the option to customize and grow, it was almost like a website builder. This could really be a huge benifactor for me and plenty of other people in the Halo Community and would give Halo 5: Guardians a tremendious boost. Secondly, more moderators: Waypoint at times just needs to be mopped up, seriously at times it can be a big mess, I know there are already many mods moderating the forums but there seriously need more moderation. Lastly, a more organized bug reporting section. In the other thread this has been a big issue, it's self explaitory.

Thanks for reading

-Forge

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"I've heard loads say ''I can't wait to be a General Grade 4''. "

I've literally never heard this.

Also, skill points for individual performance means people will care more about their own stats than winning. I think individual performance should be weighted very low if they do account for it, so that the clear goal is winning rather than betraying for sniper to increase your kd.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe balance the 2 then.

It's so frustrating when nobody's online to play H2A for instance, if you don't have a team chances are you're going to lose.

Also, if you think that what I'm suggesting will increase the number of betrayals for power weapons, you clearly haven't played H2A. Happens constantly.

As much as I'd want the Halo 3 EXP x skill model back, I think Halo 5 can pull it off as long as the system motivates win (E.G. a win should provide about double the base score for finishing a game) and if we have doubleXP weekends. 

Also, there should be no hard XP cap, so your XP just keeps growing forever and remains visible to all on the service record. Would be even better if the SR ranks scale with the XP as well (though it'd require a linear formula; not sure if Halo 5 uses one). Halo 4's Doritos and Mountain Dew progression system wasn't that bad, but once you reached 130, you were 100% done and that was the main gripe I had with it. Reach, at least, kept progressing past max rank -- however, people were not able to see others' progress past Inheritor, something I considered a problem.

So, to make it work, just keep making it scale at the same rate forever with no hard cap on XP. I'm sure it'll be impressive once someone hits like... 100M XP or something ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've never heard of poutine unil now. Is it because I'm British, or is it that Halo rock I've been living under? It looks like chips and gravy with chunks of cheese on top?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Untitled.png

:beyond:  :beyond:  :beyond:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:

:flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hello, I would like to bring up a concern of mine on the Halo Waypoint forums. First off, groups: Groups were a feture on the old Halo Bungie forums that were incredibly effective way at organizing, building, and retaining the community. Instead of going though the tedious work of concistantly getting randoms together on forums and such and then keep in contact with them, a group leader could say "Halo 3 Gamenight at 7:00PM EST tonight!" and there would always be a full lobby guarenteed. With the option to customize and grow, it was almost like a website builder. This could really be a huge benifactor for me and plenty of other people in the Halo Community and would give Halo 5: Guardians a tremendious boost. Secondly, more moderators: Waypoint at times just needs to be mopped up, seriously at times it can be a big mess, I know there are already many mods moderating the forums but there seriously need more moderation. Lastly, a more organized bug reporting section. In the other thread this has been a big issue, it's self explaitory.

Thanks for reading

-Forge

I must say it's interesting to read that with all the issues halo is facing, here is a complaint on this site that has nothing to do with the game or this site, but is instead asking to spruce up the waypoint forums..

good luck with that one man.

I've never heard of poutine unil now. Is it because I'm British, or is it that Halo rock I've been living under? It looks like chips and gravy with chunks of cheese on top?

I googled it, seems like that's exactly what it is.

I have no idea why people seem so excited by it. Everyone knows chips and curry sauce dongs on chips and gravy.

:flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:

IGN is so big, do these mentions ever translate into noticeable growth? Say, for example, in 1-3 days range? Just curious. 

I googled it, seems like that's exactly what it is.

I have no idea why people seem so excited by it. Everyone knows chips and curry sauce dongs on chips and gravy.

Lmao! I don't know why that made me laugh so much. I haven't had chips and curry sauce in far too long.

I'm not saying the BR was perfect in the beta. I 100% agree it was too easy to use. This isn't the case for every player though. Some lesser skilled players prefer the AR because they aren't good with utility or precision weaponry. Not every player who prefers the AR is bad with the BR but this is the case for a large number of players. I understand every point you made in your post I just disagree with the notion that AR/pistol starts is the answer. I propose we try BR/AR starts from the beginning in every playlist including HCS. It may not be perfect but it will give each part of the community a chance to succeed and enjoy the game. However, before doing this the BR needs a mega bullet magnetism nerf. If this solution proves to be unsuccessful then I'm all for trying other combinations. I just didn't enjoy week one anywhere near as much as I did week two and this is predominantly because I hated AR starts. I want to enjoy the game just like any other player would desire. Also, I wasn't saying people would betray for BR in every playlist. I was referring to HCS only. The larger part of the community doesn't care about HCS game modes and the people who do are accustomed to having a BR off spawn. 

The BR will never be more skillful than the Pistol, simply because of burst-fire. 

I know AR + Pistol starts were definitely not optimal in the beta, but they are buffing it's accuracy (presumably through removal of recoil and smart scope optimization) which will help a lot. 

The purpose of the Beta was to tune everything up, and the Pistol has a lot more potential than BR, given its faster kill time and single-fire mode. 

Also, if you don't have AR + Pistol as starting weapons, they fill no spot in the sandbox. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

See, this is the problem not only with console gaming today, but just life in general. Everyone's hand needs to be held so they feel like they're not failing.

I'm sure you've heard of this Michael Jordan guy. He has a lot of intriguing quotes, but the following applies: "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

I'm interested in H5, but if this game is AR starts across the board I will not be purchasing this game unless the pistol is buffed to be a viable starting weapon. I'm sorry, but if newer players are struggling to use the BR and the DMR, maybe they should practice with it. No one here started off playing Halo at a high level. My K/D was a lowly .70 on my first ever account and use to bumrush with the AR. Eventually I wanted to get better and go positive more often. What did I do? I picked up a BR and practiced and practiced and practiced. Surely enough, I got really good at the game. While most people play games casually, most people like to be challenged when they play. This applies even to the most basic games on smart phones. Please do not dumb the game down to AR starts.

I think you brought home the issue that holds the competitive crowd in chains. You think that if you find raw competition to be entertaining then everyone else must also (that demonstrates narcissistic tendencies but I digress).

People want to have FUN playing halo. If getting pinged across the map occurs so often that they cease being entertained then what would you expect them to do next?

Oh I just love being frustrated, I think halo is the goat for frustrating me.

You got to realize people enjoy playing and getting better. Learning to play better comes natural, unconscious, and even an inate drive from within IF they game offers something in the mean time.

I can't imagine anyone saying, I don't enjoy this game because I have too much trouble freely moving about, but I want to be like cT so I will put up with it.

No... They say, dude I got pooned but it is so much fun to play I won't stop because I know I will get better.

The true underlining problem is the game needs to make the challenge of learning enjoyable. Being pinged across the map by everyone on the other team can actually hinder that need.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You never answered my last question. What would you do with the AR if you don't start with it? Or the pistol if you don't start with it? Does it make sense to pick those up? According to you (and I agree) no. So should they just be removed?

I think the answer to what is wrong with starting with a long range accurate weapon has been articulated.

I did in a later post: Have the AR pistol spawn in loadouts as an alternative to BR pistol. Give people the option to pick that weapon if they want. Also, the AR is a legitimate decent weapon in this game so it is not unreasonable to think that when someone runs out of rockets or pistol ammo that they would pick up an AR on the map, or possibly pick up the AR to begin with. It can be placed on maps in front of small sectioned off areas so that someone can pick it up to challenge players in that area. An example would be Empire's closed off sniper area. If you spawn an AR on both sides of the map leading up to that area, someone might pick it up to be able to deal with that area better. 

Also, I said that it doesn't make sense to pick up utility weapons. AR is not a utility weapon by a long shot. 

As for the answer to what is wrong with long range accurate weapons: I have also articulated why there isn't much wrong with it. I have provided examples of games with effective long range starting weapons (Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo Reach NBNS, Halo 2 A) compared to games with less effective long range starting weapons (Halo 3, Halo 4 pre patch BR). I have not seen any real world examples of a game with a long range effective weapon have the "slow potshotty gameplay" people keep talking about. The only examples I can think off are because of the map rather than the weapon (lockout, penance). 

Also, I am not advocating DMR starts anyway. Only BR or Carbine. 

The BR will never be more skillful than the Pistol, simply because of burst-fire. 

I know AR + Pistol starts were definitely not optimal in the beta, but they are buffing it's accuracy (presumably through removal of recoil and smart scope optimization) which will help a lot. 

The purpose of the Beta was to tune everything up, and the Pistol has a lot more potential than BR, given its faster kill time and single-fire mode. 

Also, if you don't have AR + Pistol as starting weapons, they fill no spot in the sandbox. 

In the end, it's all preference. Saying one is more skilled than the other is fine but that doesn't always translate to being more enjoyable. I just didn't have fun week 1 but I loved week 2. I want to enjoy the game just like anyone else so getting rid of BR starts will lead to me playing much much less.

While we're on the topic..go to your nearest Costco and order at Chicken Bake at the food court. Thank me later :) much better than all this poutine nonsense.

So to clarify: 

Loadouts system

-AR/Pistol

-BR/Pistol

-BR/AR(?)

-Carbine(?)/Pistol

-LightRifle(?)/Pistol

Dude, 1/2 of their marketing has focused on equal starts. IF they ever mention the word loadouts again, people will riot, justifiably or not. 

• Upvote (+1) 2