CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You know, I thought BR/AR was the only viable option until this thread reminded me of the pistol. I am completely in favor of AR/Pistol. I mean.. the main reason people want BR start is to be able to fight back at spawn, which reduces spawn killing. BUT, with all the mobility players have in H5, I can't see that being a huge problem for BR-less spawns. Plus, being able to ping players cross-map on spawn is never good.

It's hilarious reading that people want to cross-map players at spawn. That leads to the most boring and stagnant gameplay. That's the main reason I can't stand H2A. Team shooting from across the map, all the time. No interesting engagements. No individual plays except from sniping. Discourages map movement. Boring game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent - How much faster is the new base movement speed? I guess you could give percentages or a ballpark range.

Same question for the new strafe - how much faster is the strafe would you say?

These are the two biggest/best changes to H5 imo and I would love to hear more about them!

• Upvote (+1) 6

ar/br starts. buff the pistol to be a viable pickup.

I think it is an honest statement that a pistol with better effectiveness at range than a BR is a break in immersion (not trolling here at all).

god how can you guys stomach competitive AR starts? just ew

Remember CE? 

AR + Pistol is the classic Halo weapon combination.

Sorry for this being asked for the 10000th time, but who is Agent Locke and what's his deal about?

http://www.halopedia.org/Jameson_Locke

tldr; he's a new Spartan IV "hunting" Master Chief on behalf of ONI.

If you want to learn more about his history and potential history of one of his new teammates I suggest watching all 5 episodes of Nightfall. Even though it's got shitty writing and shitty acting it's still not too bad to watch if you're interested.

One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed).

I just don't understand why everything has to be so wide and flat with the H5 maps. Obviously it's a reaction to Sprint but it just seems like the worst approach in that instead of creating areas of punishment, you're creating a reliance on the mechanic and at the same time ironing out the balance of the maps.

Removing the ditch in bottom middle for instance on Truth essentially narrows down your considerations (the ditch as both cover and a potential obstacle) and becomes Sprint towards the closest side of the map. In contrast increasing the depth of the pit would reinforce the levels previous dynamic whilst utilizing the new movement mechanics and mitigating the negatives of Sprint.

An emphasis on verticality to create map balance at least on paper seems like it would be the best job in tackling Sprint. The scaling of maps like Construct, Damnation, Countdown fits for both Sprint and NS gametypes because it's clear that you're conceding control by dropping down a level.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The AR in H1 was functionally opposite of the H5 AR. It wasn't so much used for killing as it was used in quick camo and BLB. The H5 one actually kills stuff, and doesn't have the added utility to warrant it being included as a starting weapon.

Oops didn't read your post fully. Are you saying AR should not be start?

If 343 buffs the pistol enough, they should just force AR + Pistol starts in EVERY gamemode, including first season of HCS. Give people the time to adjust to a higher skill gap, so it will be seriously considered and not just knocked down because of *Hurr hurr I like the BR* and *AR starts? Is this H3?*

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

dude you can argue about whether it works a million times over but if you just think about how it feels, AR starts would be painful as fuck. its just like #teamorange when people were arguing for lightrifle starts in halo 4. like ok it is logically possible, but honestly, who the fuck wants to play lightrifle starts.

Speaking reach, AR starts forces movement if any engagement is to occur. That offers me time to move where I want (making the best of my team assignment) to engage on my terms more.

I find getting pinged from campers painfully boring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If 343 buffs the pistol enough, they should just force AR + Pistol starts in EVERY gamemode, including first season of HCS. Give people the time to adjust to a higher skill gap, so it will be seriously considered and not just knocked down because of *Hurr hurr I like the BR* and *AR starts? Is this H3?*

I also see AR/pistol(short range) as a means of regulating cross map ping. If the BR or DMR were the pickups (besides the snipes) then the number of pickups would be adjustable to the needs of the map. A map that is overly exposed could have very limited BR or DMR pickups to prevent everyone on a team from having one and shutting down the map.

I think this goes without saying but I have seen maps where there were plenty of DMRs and it always made me wonder why have AR starts on those maps?

I never considered this was about making it easier on casuals or limiting the options players have. In fact, the reason I'm pushing for pistol starts is for the very opposite reason. I want it to be possible for players to have options, to be able to move around the map, to want to be able to move around the map, and to provide an incentive to push on people and take teamwork to a higher level than just babies' 24/7 teamshot with stupid angles. Pistol starts do not limit the players, it just requires a greater amount of skill to achieve the same result. You know, the thing that everyone has been begging for... a skill gap. Now that it's time for one, a lot of people seem to be getting worried and want their comfort zone back.

Trust me when I say I have a lot of experience with a game that doesn't allow people to push because the mechanics are too crippling. I've played thousands upon thousands of Reach Arena games at the highest level and was, for a long time, ranked #1 in the world at it. If it's too easy to ping people across the map vs. moving around and flanking, then everyone will camp back in a way that allows each teammate to cover one another to focus on nothing but teamshot. It's EXTREMELY boring, but is effective. 

Watch this game and tell me it's not boring.

People are begging for BR starts without even understanding how the game works. BRs are FAR too easy to be considered for competitive modes. If HCS ever goes with that, I will go right ahead and consider it a bad joke that caters to pro players to get them to promote the game. Just about anyone can pick up the game and melt people with a BR across the map, RRR or not. It'll turn into H2A where there's so little shooting skill gap that once again, everyone relies on linear aggression to get shit done.

So. Fucking. Boring.

Halo 5 has an insane amount of movement options and paths you can take to sneak up on someone. For once, we have a Halo game that's all about smart movement and pushes, and YET, people insist that we dumb it down to team shooting from across the map. I have yet to see one person make a decent point for BR starts, everyone is just using emotions and past experiences to justify it, when it goes against everything rational to do. At this point, I'm starting to think "competitive" players are the ones too lazy to learn here...

I'm sorry but you contradicted yourself so much in this post it's actually pretty funny reading it

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Is it just me, or do BR fuckbois never back up their statements?  :milk:  :milk:  :milk:  :milk:

It's hilarious reading that people want to cross-map players at spawn. That leads to the most boring and stagnant gameplay.

I want the ability to crossmap off spawn because I want to kill players in bad positions. The issue with H2A is that the BR kills too slow and is too easy too use just making the game campy because of this. I'd only be for pistol starts if 343 made it feel less shitty. The smart scope, the sound, the recoil all of it made the weapon feel unsatisfying to use and I hated it.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Oops didn't read your post fully. Are you saying AR should not be start?

I've been saying it this whole thread. It's power:difficulty ratio is too skewed for it to be a spawn weapon. It would work great as a pickup.

I'm sorry but you contradicted yourself so much in this post it's actually pretty funny reading it

You know, when you say shit like this, the very least you can do is explain how.

If you're not going to, just don't post at all.

I made a mockup of the Halo 5: Guardians boxart

udNEq97.png

So... Master Chief is on the right... does that mean he is right in the whole #HuntTheTruth thing?

@@Sal1ent Would it be possible for us to get any info on how the MP map selection is going to work? Is it going to be a voting system again, or will it be more of a veto/no choice system. I know the beta was a no choice system, but, then again, that was a beta. Personally, I feel that a veto/no choice system would work better than voting, becuase you'll have people going into a playlist only wanting to play one map, then quitting when that map is not voted for. I feel a veto/no choice system eliminates this. At the very least, please don't make it so the map on the left wins by default. Maybe randomize which maps win in a tied vote.

Also, info on base movement speed/strafe acelleration changes would be nice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On close range it should. Longer ranges it would be unintuitive.

so if you spawb with pistol.. how do you defend yourself off spawn from range?

so if you spawb with pistol.. how do you defend yourself off spawn from range?

The idea is you can defend yourself with the pistol dealing damage over all ranges, it's just harder with the reduced RRR and it doesn't provide the sustained pressure of the BR/DMR/LR.

• Upvote (+1) 3