CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

My favourite weapon to use in the beta was the pistol, so I had way more fun with AR/pistol starts than I did with brs.

A more powerful pistol would be amazing, just wish they change the scope on it cos it's the worst in the game, so bad.

AR/buffed pistol for me. Unlike past halos this combo can work. The BR/Carbine/Light rifle placements needs to be in a good location for pickup. I thought halo 5 played better with AR and Pistol.

I think the overrulling concept is that of merging casual and competitive. No other top games have a gametype divide like this, nor so much bitterness towards each other's playstyle favour. I for one HATE, with a passion casual gametypes. And I know there is plenty of pure hatred out there for BR starts and competitive halo in general. What other game or sport has this? There are always disagreements between both sides but not to the extent Halo has.

In saying this though, I do fear that with all of the escape abilities in H5 anything but a rifle/very powerful starting weapon to balance defensive nature of the game, will badly hurt the competitive value... However does that matter if we have more numbers due to no more divide? (i'm not saying it wont, just putting a question out there)

#BiggerPicture

Smash bros?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Flood need a rest in my opinion.

But they will be back.

We haven't had the Flood in a Halo FPS in years. If anything, I'll start to get sick of them not being there if they aren't in Halo 5. The Flood is one of my fav things about Halo campaigns.

Since the beta we've been retuning and buffing the magnum. We want to make it a viable precision counterpart to the AR, yet don't want it to be so powerful that players simply rely on it in the majority of situations and never trade it out. When I talked to Chris King yesterday (Chris is the lead designer over sandbox) he pointed out that it has been beating the BR in recent pro team tests, which feels a little too strong. We're still honing the balance. 

Holding-Hands-GIF.gif

btw. i'm really loving how much you've been interacting with us recently, especially about what's been going on with the work being done on the game....insider stuff, no fluff. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can you confirm that headshots will only do more damage against health, and that 4 body shots + 1 to the head will kill? 

The main complaint about the pistol was not really its power, but how it felt. Obviously some of this is the low aim assist, OTOH recoil/flinch played a big part.

Hopefully you're tuning down recoil a lot, as it doesn't feel good on a single-shot weapon.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the aim assist on the pistol, that is exactly how all the guns should feel in the game, it was great using it against other pistol players and beating them with superior aiming because it was a lot more difficult to wield when compared to the rifles in the beta. The only issue with the pistol aiming wise is the recoil, it needs to go and never return to any gun in any halo game again.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the aim assist on the pistol, that is exactly how all the guns should feel in the game, it was great using it against other pistol players and beating them with superior aiming because it was a lot more difficult to wield when compared to the rifles in the beta. The only issue with the pistol aiming wise is the recoil, it needs to go and never return to any gun in any halo game again.

For out of scope yes. In scope felt horribly awkward, and others felt the same. 

One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed).

Mercy would be a great name for a flood-infested midship... you can't have only 2/3 of the prophets.  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mercy would be a great name for a flood-infested midship... you can't have only 2/3 of the prophets.  :holmes:

This + flood firefight = omgomgomgomgomgomg

• Upvote (+1) 5

This is how I feel about people who want AR starts. Don't force people to play a game type that they have no interest in playing. Wouldn't the most logical thing be to just have two different playlists? A team slayer and a team hardcore?

This is how I feel about people who want AR starts. Don't force people to play a game type that they have no interest in playing. Wouldn't the most logical thing be to just have two different playlists? A team slayer and a team hardcore?

But Pistol has a higher skillgap than BR, so it should be in Team Hardcore as well. Remember CE? We had AR starts there as well.

Read all the comments about how this will work in H5, then object. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it.

That should make you think.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That should make you think.

Perhaps, but it also could simply be that people load up Truth expecting to play it like they did Midship and find that it doesn't play that way.  In the mind of someone who played the original Midship, that automatically translates to "it doesn't play like it's supposed to play" . . . when it wasn't ever meant to play exactly like Midship to begin with.

In other cases, you have a point.  I'm a H4 guy, but I did not like H4 Shutout.  I thought it was slow and campy.  The DMR kind of wrecked that map.  With any amount of coordination on your team, once you held snipe tower, there was no reason whatsoever to leave.  Just ping with DMRs and snipe.  When I played H2C on MCC, though, I enjoyed the original Lockout quite a bit . . . but did not enjoy Blackout in the least (I don't have a definitive reason for that, though).  Regardless, in the case of Lockout, something really was lost with each iteration.

I only played Truth twice on a friend's console.  I enjoyed the map.  It definitely doesn't play like Midship, but I didn't find that to be a bad thing (even though I really like the H2C Midship).  For me, they were just superficially similar maps that play very differently.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed).

What about Regret though, it does have similar playstyle( and it makes it kinda redundant IMO), any thoughts on how it plays with the higher base speed ? 

But Pistol has a higher skillgap than BR, so it should be in Team Hardcore as well. Remember CE? We had AR starts there as well.

The AR in H1 was functionally opposite of the H5 AR. It wasn't so much used for killing as it was used in quick camo and BLB. The H5 one actually kills stuff, and doesn't have the added utility to warrant it being included as a starting weapon.

The AR in H1 was functionally opposite of the H5 AR. It wasn't so much used for killing as it was used in quick camo and BLB. The H5 one actually kills stuff, and doesn't have the added utility to warrant it being included as a starting weapon.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to make the point that AR starts (with good Pistol) aren't on the H2/3 level of spawning with shit-tier weapons. 

I have nothing against the pistol. What I am concerned about, as well as many other people, is that there will be bigger maps released and people will veto/vote for them even if they have AR starts. I grew up playing halo 3 and one of the worst things was getting standoff, valhalla, or even snowbound with AR starts.I did play the H5 beta and will agree that the AR starts did work well with the maps that they provided but only because they were close range maps.

I have nothing against the pistol. What I am concerned about, as well as many other people, is that there will be bigger maps released and people will veto/vote for them even if they have AR starts. I grew up playing halo 3 and one of the worst things was getting standoff, valhalla, or even snowbound with AR starts.I did play the H5 beta and will agree that the AR starts did work well with the maps that they provided but only because they were close range maps.

A buffed pistol would give much more range than the H3 variant. H3 Magnum didn't even have a scope... 

They better not choke on the AI and the moments surrounding blue team. If I were 343 I'd be real worried about their in game representation matching up to everything we've been told/learned about them from other media. They cannot be anything like the AI in Reach that was just terrible lol. Its too bad we won't ever get to see the other people that were on Blue/Green team unless they make a prequelish game like Reach

If they can make the Blue Team AI on par with the Star Wars: Republic Commando AI, and then make sure they are a bit more useful, they would be perfect. If I'm going to have AI team mates like that I want them to be helpful/useful but not detract from the difficulty of the game. Republic Commando did this by way of a knockdown system, and Brothers in Arms made it to where if they died, they stayed dead (I prefer Republic Commando's in this situation).

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent Can you get the art team to chill on the visual clutter? I know they want the map to look good but it starts effect game play when it is visually busy to look at. The forge maps did a great job at showing how a simple look works  great in Halo. On another visual note. The game looked really bad on live streams or recorded video. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since the beta we've been retuning and buffing the magnum. We want to make it a viable precision counterpart to the AR, yet don't want it to be so powerful that players simply rely on it in the majority of situations and never trade it out. When I talked to Chris King yesterday (Chris is the lead designer over sandbox) he pointed out that it has been beating the BR in recent pro team tests, which feels a little too strong. We're still honing the balance. 

In the beta I didnt feel the need for the magnum as the AR was abit OP for me. (Probably due to small maps+sprint)

I know in H3 the AR/Magnum balance was pretty decent. Close distance the AR won and at distance the magnum won. Logical sense. But like you said it has to have to keep tuning until you get the balance. You could probably look at the tuning of them from h3 right?

It would be cool if the magnum did beat the BR at a close distance as it should empty the mag quicker but the BR should be better at mid/long range.

I can see you read all the pro AR+BuffedPistol arguments, and formulated a detailed, logical reply.  :kappa:

It's amazing how *competitive* minded people can be so irrationally attached to the least skillful utility weapon ever used in Halo. 

dude you can argue about whether it works a million times over but if you just think about how it feels, AR starts would be painful as fuck. its just like #teamorange when people were arguing for lightrifle starts in halo 4. like ok it is logically possible, but honestly, who the fuck wants to play lightrifle starts. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1