CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm hoping double-jumping is more of jump-then-short-and-mild-extra-push kind of thing rather than an actual double-jump thing per Titanfall. It would be annoying as hell to see that spammed everywhere, especially setting up a nice mid-air snipe only to have the dude get a quick & significant second boost upward. But if it were more of an extension of the first jump (e.g. gradual extra vertical push) that you could adjust to/account for, then I wouldn't be that upset; in fact, it may be kind of interesting.

The thrusting thing, as I said before, could be amazing if done properly.

Ground-pound and sprint are atrocious, though, and should not be included in any form.

Ground-pound could definitely work - you have to give up your height advantage for an easier kill, which is a good trade-off in my books. 

I'm kind of torn because I love the sound of Breakout and I want it to be true, but I hate the sound of most of the other stuff.

Anyone else glad that H4 sprint is seemingly gone?  :weback:

Hmm I wish I could see it that way but I'm not convinced. Let's hope it's gone.

Welcome to Teambeyond!

If the reviewer said that it felt quite like Halo 2 and older arena shooters, then that is some good news. The thing is, I think most people are just unhappy with a lot of what they've heard in the article, and so they've voiced their concerns about that. I honestly haven't seen anyone say anything inappropriate in response to the article. I've simply seen people expressing hope that the things in the article aren't true, due to disappointment with some of the features that were mentioned.

I often see people say that we need to stop complaining and that we need to all unite as Halo fans, but I still don't really know what that means. Does that mean we should all force ourselves to have the same opinions? Does it mean we should stop complaining about things we dislike in Halo, and only comment on things we do like?

I would totally love for more people to politely go into detail as to why they dislike certain things as that would give the developers more of an idea of what they're doing wrong. But I disagree with this idea that the fanbase should somehow force themselves to be "united". People should be respectful of each other and everything, but that's a very different thing than trying their best to share the same opinions on Halo. 

It seems to me, based on your post, that you feel Halo's death will be as a result of the community refusing to be happy. The way I see it, the community wont be happy until they feel Halo is really alive again. I believe it's what 343 does with the franchise that will change the way the fans feel about Halo. Of course not everyone is going to be happy, but I don't believe as many have to be unhappy as there have been with Halo 4.

Also, your English is good enough that you were able to get your point across, so there shouldn't be any problems there. I understood everything completely.

/cut

It feels strange to write in english to another italian, but I want everybody to "listen", if you wish you can contact me via Private message.

The only reason why I omitted most of his considerations about how the beta felt and played is because I simply CANNOT stand someone who states that "It felt like Halo 2" and than goes on to not be able to recognize that one of the maps he played on was a remake of Midship, one of the most iconic Halo 2 maps.

Also, I'd like to point out that I agree with you about how bad this community can get in "reporting feedback", it's usually more of a rant than actual feedback (even though I understand that some things should have been clear to 343i at this point), but you can't be serious saying that nobody threw shit at bungie for Halo Reach...

You see guys people reads internet more than we think And that kid on twich that have linked this thread on twich with 400 viewers has depressed me.

I dontsay , hey people embrace halo with all the perks blabla, what i want is for exemple...monday We see the beta and instead of shoot 343 and say halo is dead(i fukin hateto say this) everybody We see whats good what not,obvious We cant everybody have. The same opinion but wecan make things better with good feedback not halo is dead stuff likethat.

And forward i dont know if the stuff you have take and translated was on ogniocchio but i can assure 100% that the things of the reviewer on the feels of h2 a bit faster and the ut quake feeling was IN The Article, then i have talked with sergio on the comment section if you want i think the thread is stiill alive but renamed come sarà halo5 o qualcosa del genere

• Upvote (+1) 1

You see guys people reads internet more than we think And that kid on twich that have linked this thread on twich with 400 viewers has depressed me.

I dontsay , hey people embrace halo with all the perks blabla, what i want is for exemple...monday We see the beta and instead of shoot 343 and say halo is dead(i fukin hateto say this) everybody We see whats good what not,obvious We cant everybody have. The same opinion but wecan make things better with good feedback not halo is dead stuff likethat.

And forward i dont know if the stuff you have take and translated was on ogniocchio but i can assure 100% that the things of the reviewer on the feels of h2 a bit faster and the ut quake feeling was IN The Article, then i have talked with sergio on the comment section if you want i think the thread is stiill alive but renamed come sarà halo5 o qualcosa del genere

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes I agree completely. The best thing people can do is keep their calm and make sure their feedback is recieved in a manner that 343 are likely to listen to.

I'll withhold judgment until I actually see the game being played, but none of these new features sound 100% definitely conclusively objectively bad. They might be, but they might not be.

For example, it's easy to defend double-jumping by referring to classic FPS, but obviously Halo is not a classically-defined arena shooter, and you would at the very least have to tweak a feature before you transplant it from one genre to another. You'd probably have to lower the single-jump height to about Reach level (I hate myself) to make sure the jumping aspect of strafing doesn't become mind-bogglingly easy. If that actually worked (and didn't just simplify shot-dodging to a child's level), it might even add something to the strafing meta, like a sort of deliberately-implemented version of short-hopping or whatever it's called. If there's anything Halo has been lacking, it's a good system for strafing.

Ledge-climbing is cheese. It'll hardly break the game single-handedly, but I don't really see any value in it. This plus double-jump probably means maps will be taller.

If maps are indeed taller, then ground-pound will probably be a more viable strategy. Interesting, though, how all of these features work with regards to each other. It's at least an indication that they're putting some degree of thought into it.

Charging sounds like a godsend when compared to sprint, but I'm having trouble visualizing how it would work. Can you only charge at an enemy within, say, the energy sword's red reticle range? Can you just charge whenever and wherever? I have absolutely no idea how that would play or whether it would be good or bad. It certainly sounds risky. I hope it adds something new to the otherwise-nonexistent melee meta.

It's best to remember that button glitches would sound like cheese if Halo 2 never happened. Like with Advanced Warfare, these features are obviously 343 trying to tap into the pre-release Titanfall hype, while hoping to avoid the resulting population drop.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many years has this been? How long have we been saying the things that we want, like, dont want and hate?

All of this "adapt" or die mentality is what pisses me off. I will always support Halo, but for someone like me (and there are many others) who has been around since the beginning, it truly is depressing to see the direction that Halo has gone in.   

343 "took a risk" on H4 - it didnt pay off and they created prob the worst Halo title of all time.   You would think they would learn from their mistakes.

I am not saying H5 is already going to be terrible - but this is just possible evidence that they are continueing to "inovate" instead of provide fans the game that they want.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My opinioni is this...its obvious that halo in some things eveen small must evolve, and its obvious if the developer at the first time to evolve stuck in the game unbalanced things Like AA even Moore armorlock downgrade speedmovement and other things something is really wrong (look the path bungie have taked with destiny strage no?)

Now spartan abilities are equal to everybody and can bee a good thing, its obvious We must se how they work in the sandbox, i 1 thing im sure is no sprint with a thusterpack can be good

instead of provide fans the game that they want.

The fans will buy it anyway. Unless the purist fans organise a mass boycott of Guardians (maybe worth considering?), the devs' goal will always be to expand the audience beyond the current fanbase. That invariably means new gameplay mechanics and/or flashiness.

Not disagreeing, btw.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me a good halo can have small abilities equal too everybody...and faster strafing that is priority

• Upvote (+1) 1

Take the emergent gameplay (the "meta" gameplay) of Halo 1's mechanics and place it into new environments that create different demands, add sensibly balanced weapons/power-ups/etc that create new dynamics, and do everything in your power to maintain that core meta-play. This is difficult considering that Halo is first and foremost a story-driven game, so the multiplayer is something of a campaign sandbox. What's also very difficult is the fact that only the best of the best Halo 1 players even know the meta-play to begin with at this point in time (not accounting for new things learned after the fact or potential meta-play that nobody is aware of yet). The people designing the game don't know it so they can't understand the implications of their designs on it. The challenge becomes making the developers fully aware of that gameplay and seeing the value in maintaining it. Think of a master clay sculptor making something beautiful and then asking another sculptor to replicate it. If that person doesn't have the same mastery, the duplicate simply won't be the same quality. Do we need to build a gamer army of people who can master or have mastered Halo 1, then have them master game design? What is the solution?

+100.

Using a new animation system, our Spartans are able to climb on platforms with their arms with a very fluid and fast motion.

This is 99% positive CoD-style climbing/vaulting. And without CoD I doubt this would be in the game. What else do you really need to know?

The other stuff might be workable, but this needs to go.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I hate beating a dead horse but Halo 5 simply wont last as a carbon copy of the old classic Halos. Trust me, I am all for the classic halo feel and its what I prefer, but with Console FPS evolving and the gaming industry in general evolving, there will be crap in this game nobody likes. There will be things like sprint, double jumps, climbing over walls, ground pound that all sound horrible and are not true to original halo. People are going to freak out. All I ask, is we wait till we play the Beta, see how these things were implemented, make constructive criticism and try to make an end product that is a viable, fun, and good game. We can only hope that 343 has learned from their mistakes (H4). They have hired a lot of former halo pros we trust and love and while I know the game has to evolve, everything 343 has been pushing lately between MCC and E-sports suggests they at least get the message. Lets just play the beta and hope we can make H5 a game that can keep the community together and hopefully rejuvenate the franchise and that will allow us to support the halo brand for the future. One thing COD does right is no matter how shitty the game, they support it and make it stay at the top. This is what we need to do with Halo. Give our feedback, help make the game good, and support the community.

I agree with everything.. Even if cod has its shitty moments their core is still the same. To the more social players ghost is around the same as black Ops 2 Cuz they just don't get that deep into it.. But that's from personal experience

Problem with h4 is that it was way too different and completely changed its core.. That's one of the main reasons why no one wants to support it. Even with reach we had a few events.

But since 343 learned from their mistakes... Hopefully.. The core will always stay from now on.

Spartan Slam

Spartan Slide

Spartan Smash

You see the above? I don't mind the above. The below?

Spartan Spider

Spartan Spring

Spartan Sprint

These ones should go.

After so much feedback on sprint I have absolutely no idea how they can fuck this up again.

The backlash is gonna be very real

• Upvote (+1) 9