CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Not sure.

I haven't gotten a single survey even though I signed up for the program. Not sure what's on them. Is there something else we need to do to get them?

That sucks man. All I did was sign up and started getting them so I don't know if there's anything else you can do. I think there are others who have had the same problem.

The surveys aren't even run by 343. It's a Microsoft thing, so they just report the findings back to 343. At least that's why I read from their FAQ they included in the survey.

My opinion is since 343 isn't hte one conducting the survey, they aren't really going to do anything too drastic. Look at all the changes they didn't make from the first survey. They just find ways to justify what they are doing. That's really all that is going to come of the surveys unless there is a 80%+ of people who don't like something they are doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The surveys aren't even run by 343. It's a Microsoft thing, so they just report the findings back to 343. At least that's why I read from their FAQ they included in the survey.

My opinion is since 343 isn't hte one conducting the survey, they aren't really going to do anything too drastic. Look at all the changes they didn't make from the first survey. They just find ways to justify what they are doing. That's really all that is going to come of the surveys unless there is a 80%+ of people who don't like something they are doing.

Uhh... most of the H5 changes they announced in their post-beta writeup were based on the survey results, as well as discussion on forums...

Just because 343 isn't administering the surveys doesn't mean they aren't using the data.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Uhh... most of the H5 changes they announced in their post-beta writeup were based on the survey results, as well as discussion on forums...

Just because 343 isn't administering the surveys doesn't mean they aren't using the data.

They used the data to change very small things. They aren't going to change the direction Halo is headed. They are firm in where they are going with the franchise, so even if the surveys point somewhere else, as long as the %s aren't too high of people who don't like something, they aren't going to change it. I thought this would be clear to most people by now.

Even if we had 50% against sprint, they still would have only done what they are doing now. It would have to be 80% or higher for them to consider changing anything substantial. Even then it would have to not effect their direction. So if people actually hated Sprint and loved Spartan Charge (completely hypothetical) since the way 343 implemented SpC, they wouldn't remove Sprint because of the way SpC is implemented. (They could change it, but for the sake of the argument, let say they couldn't) Halo isn't going to change very much because of these surveys and since there are so many 343 fanboys out there, the surveys aren't going to hit the right people who actually know what makes Halo a good game and the surveys are going to mostly praise 343 for being "innovative" and "evolving" the franchise so it can stay relevant with the market trends.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The surveys are done by Microsoft User Research who's job is to find out what people like and don't like about X, in this case X is Halo. 343 works closely with MUR and lets them know what kind of questions they want asked, MUR goes away, choose how to word each question and what answers people should be able to give and then the survey is sent out. 

Once the results are in, they are shared with the correct people at 343 and they use that to make changes like we saw post-Halo 5 beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The surveys are done by Microsoft User Research who's job is to find out what people like and don't like about X, in this case X is Halo. 343 works closely with MUR and lets them know what kind of questions they want asked, MUR goes away, choose how to word each question and what answers people should be able to give and then the survey is sent out. 

Once the results are in, they are shared with the correct people at 343 and they use that to make changes like we saw post-Halo 5 beta.

Do we know who these "correct people" are? I'm genuinely curious as to who they are. I could speculate that is the main names we hear about, but that's just me speculating.

Do we know who these "correct people" are? I'm genuinely curious as to who they are. I could speculate that is the main names we hear about, but that's just me speculating.

Well I assume a lot of it goes to Josh Holmes who then shares it with the various teams and then asks them to take it into account but I couldn't really say.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Of course the Halo 5 Beta specific surveys are going to be more for fine-tuning. 

I was pretty clear in my initial one that I disliked Sprint in Halo, but at the same time I noted that I found the H5B implementation to be a big improvement over Reach and H4. 

since there are so many 343 fanboys out there, the surveys aren't going to hit the right people who actually know what makes Halo a good game

lol. I haven't seen a single Halo based community where 343 "fanboys" outweighed critics (both warranted and unwarranted). Even HBO's forums are critical more often than not, although usually about different issues than what is discussed here.  If these "people who actually know what makes Halo a good game" you speak of couldn't be bothered to sign up for the survey program, that's not 343's fault...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All I know is that H5 better not have loud footsteps like in H4/H2:A. Seriously WTF is that shit? It makes zero sense for gameplay and ruins 1v1/2v2 on many maps. Lockdown 1v1 is a joke because all you do is camp s3 with sword snipe and the opponent literally has no way of sneaking up the tower without being heard. You can even hear where the opponent spawns most of the time. WHY? Why would you add in a sound that literally serves no purpose other than to tell other players that a player has spawned? Just stupid.

In H2 and H3, you could only hear footsteps of people directly behind you or that stepped on something in particular that made a loud noise. It gave maps like a Guardian and Lockout a sense of sneakiness and gave the oncoming opponent a chance to surprise their prey. Now you literally can't do that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

All I know is that H5 better not have loud footsteps like in H4/H2:A. Seriously WTF is that shit? It makes zero sense for gameplay and ruins 1v1/2v2 on many maps. Lockdown 1v1 is a joke because all you do is camp s3 with sword snipe and the opponent literally has no way of sneaking up the tower without being heard. You can even hear where the opponent spawns most of the time. WHY? Why would you add in a sound that literally serves no purpose other than to tell other players that a player has spawned? Just stupid.

In H2 and H3, you could only hear footsteps of people directly behind you or that stepped on something in particular that made a loud noise. It gave maps like a Guardian and Lockout a sense of sneakiness and gave the oncoming opponent a chance to surprise their prey. Now you literally can't do that.

Agree with this.  Footsteps / spawn noises in H2A/H4 are ridiculously loud.  It doesn't have to be just 1v1 or 2v2, either.  I bought a brand-new headset after playing H4 for a while just to exploit the sounds.

It's very interesting seeing what 343 wants to know from their fanbase with these surveys. What do you guys think this means for Halo 5 realistically? Do you think 343 might actually make big gameplay decisions based on what the results of these surveys are?

By "big changes" you mean sprint, ADS, clamber, etc etc.....

No - not a chance any of those will be removed.

At best I see us getting a "Classic Halo Playlist Coming Soon" message at the bottom of the multiplayer playlist screen.

That will be about the extent of it on the "big changes" front.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You would be surprised how much consideration is put into surveys, I know a friend that works at a store and she told me that she valued them greatly and that at times it would make her feel good about herself, so yeah don't say they mean nothing at all because trust me if they didn't care at all they wouldn't even bother to begin with.

One thing I wish they would do though is make surveys available in-game, sort of like what Valve did with L4D2, I think the larger the sample size the better.

This. @@Sal1ent @@Deez

Not the most important of additions, but I bet Breakout will be pushed as a competitive gametype for the HCS and I'd really like to see 3rd person spectating disabled so you can't call out for your dead teammate and see things they can't. Other FPS games with 1 life-gametypes do this.

Not the most important of additions, but I bet Breakout will be pushed as a competitive gametype for the HCS and I'd really like to see 3rd person spectating disabled so you can't call out for your teammate and see things they can't. Other FPS games with 1 life-gametypes do this.

There will probably be a delay on the spectator mode over the Internet. So hopefully people can't cheat then. That's how csgo has their mode

There will probably be a delay on the spectator mode over the Internet. So hopefully people can't cheat then. That's how csgo has their mode

I don't mean to sound like a typical Beyond pessimist, but I really do wonder if they've actually thought of that. 

I don't mean to sound like a typical Beyond pessimist, but I really do wonder if they've actually thought of that.

There was a delay on spectator mode during the beta. I don't think they could feasibly provide it instantly anyway.

I think he means when a teammate is dead, they go into spectator mode. In the beta you got a third person view if I recall correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think he means when a teammate is dead, they go into spectator mode. In the beta you got a third person view if I recall correctly.

Yup, you get the typical third-person perspective when you die and you can switch between all your team mates who are currently alive. Most times I became a lot more useful when I died in Breakout because I had a better view of the battlefield than my friend who was alive did. It really needs to be fixed.

Yeah it's just concerning that Quinn has said this 

My response would be there is more skill to clutching a situation by yourself than responding to a teammates' callout.

He did say it was good feedback to everyone who suggested 1st though. 

Yeah it's just concerning that Quinn has said this 

My response would be there is more skill to clutching a situation by yourself than responding to a teammates' callout.

He did say it was good feedback to everyone who suggested 1st though. 

You guys still Beli343??????? 

Yup, you get the typical third-person perspective when you die and you can switch between all your team mates who are currently alive. Most times I became a lot more useful when I died in Breakout because I had a better view of the battlefield than my friend who was alive did. It really needs to be fixed.

Man I remember how OP as shit being dead was in Gears 2. Especially if you were in party chat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We're playing a game were being dead is op. Think about that for a second

• Upvote (+1) 1