CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'd rather they experimented with the beta than had the full game either saturated with bullshit or devoid of anything new. Let this be their way of figuring out what works and what doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think Arena is the Standard 4-8 player gametypes like Slayer, CTF, Oddball, FFA, Doubles etc. Standard Halo multiplayer with pick ups, respawn times and all.

They keep saying Arena because it's trying to cater to the Fans/HardCore players and I think there going to do the complete opposite with Big team battles whe

This is what I'm leaning towards as well. There has been too much built up with MCC and HCS and talk about classic Halo to pull such a complete 180. Not to mention they are willing to show the beta on stream to a predominantly competitive focused group of people. I just doubt they would open themselves to that kind of backlash if they weren't planning on having almost 2 separate MP experiences. Almost like Invasion was separate from normal MP in Reach.

I could be way off but something as it stands right now just doesn't add up. I don't doubt that might be what that guy played but I'm just less inclined to believe MP is one single experience. I also don't think they would just give us one playlist because they KNOW that doesn't work.

Then again....maybe the optimist in me is getting the better of me again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is exactly what I said a couple pages back. People need to give 343i their input other than "these new things are bad and they need to completely disappear and then the game will be good". Adjust what the developers have implemented. They're the developers, it's their job to come up with ideas. We just grade them and help them make it better. 

We've been doing this since the first sneak peek of halo 4. We said "sprint is terrible because of XYZ" before the game was released. We had concerns about no-descope, the size of the sniper rifle, recoil and the perks/abilities...how much did 343 change before and after the game was released? all we really got were red X's, a 4sk BR with the weapon tuning update and a rank system that took them 6 months to implement...the game was still utterly terrible because we still had sprint, no de-scope, a hideous sniper, recoil and flinch, loud ass footsteps among other things. We even had a thread dedicated to issues with halo 4 where cyren or saucey compiled a LONG list of stuff we didn't like, stuff we liked and stuff that could be tweaked...the OP had a lot of stuff in it...I think sprint was mentioned more than once and low and behold sprint appears to be in H5 in some shape or form.

We are giving feedback, but it seems as if it's falling on deaf ears. I don't know how many times this community or any other halo community can regurgitate the same thing before 343 gets it.

When we get another sneak peek at a new title this weekend and midship loads up and its almost twice the size of the original with spartans climbing, sprint charging and thrusting about in a chaotic environment just remember to grade them and help them make it better.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Is it possible to measure the FOV in H5's "First look" trailer? It can give us a good Idea of what the fov will be like.

I approve in separating the communities and Halo players in H5.  I actually hope they would do this for Destiny and CoD AW and it would benefit those two communities greatly.  Both Destiny and CoD AW can follow classic FPS guidelines if they had a separate "Arena" which disables all the extra bullshit that they want to implement for the casuals.

343 should be the first to do this.  Progress H5 to the casuals if you/them want to have a double jump, sprint, jetpacks and all that extra stuff.  But just give the competitive community the classic FPS shooter "Arena" with all of that disabled.  It's not that difficult.  

Well I'll tell you this, I'll do everything I can to contribute in giving viable feedback of what I don't like in the beta in hopes that 343i will listen to the community. But when Halo 5 comes out next year and it still plays like crap, at least I know that I'll always have MCC to fall back to and play Halo 2 and 3.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I approve in separating the communities and Halo players in H5.  I actually hope they would do this for Destiny and CoD AW and it would benefit those two communities greatly.  Both Destiny and CoD AW can follow classic FPS guidelines if they had a separate "Arena" which disables all the extra bullshit that they want to implement for the casuals.

343 should be the first to do this.  Progress H5 to the casuals if you/them want to have a double jump, sprint, jetpacks and all that extra stuff.  But just give the competitive community the classic FPS shooter "Arena" with all of that disabled.  It's not that difficult.  

1) There has been no mention/sighting of jetpacks anywhere in H5.

2) This "Sprint" that everyone's freaking out about is more of a exaggerated melee lunge, with no shield re-charging.

3) The ground pound, thrusters, etc. were all featured in the H5 Beta for ARENA!! Not BTB. Expect Arena to have these things, with BTB adding in Ordnance, Loadouts, H4 Battlefield shit.

4) Everyone needs to read the article and think before commenting stupid shit like "OMG, this is so COD!" Out of all the COD games there is only one with these extra movement options. And it is certainly not a new thing! Think Quake & UT before blathering on about how much this is going to suck because they're trying to cater to COD fans. Is it what we're used to? No. Can it be good? Definitely. All the things added are universal traits, and offensive abilities - the opposite of everything in H4. With the beta, and the chance to perfect the balancing, I think it will work out: Worst-case scenario: Not as good as CE, H2, or H2A, but better than 3, 4 or Reach. Best case: Best behind CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are two things that come to mind when I read this.  The first is with the obsession over "faster gameplay", which I think some of these rumored changes are associated with and which is almost a mantra w/in the FPS community now.  I actually don't want faster gameplay in the sense that it turns team games into games of chaos.  The movement speed of vanilla Halo actually allowed you to work as a team - you had time to see where your team mates were and to act accordingly.  When we went to sprintified Halo, the team structure disintegrated and it was a jerky random mess of lone wolfing in most pub games.  You had to have a really disciplined team to get any kind of team work and that rarely happened in matchmaking if you had to go on your own.  I worry that the obsession w/ "faster gameplay" = less structure = less team work = less strategy = less of a reason to communicate = less social interaction = less fun = less replay value.  "Faster gameplay" sounds good but could have serious unintended consequences.

The other thing it makes me think about is the gaming worlds obsession with change, in the sense that the different franchises all seem to have to copy each other and turn into something they never were.  Yeah, people are saying Cod Aw is fun now, but once the gimmicks wear off we'll see.  I could show you film from certain people on this board that thought H4 was "sick as hell" when it dropped but three months later everyone's hope was in ashes.  It's like the NBA takes a look at how high the gymnasts get on their floor routine and decide to embed a 4'x4' trampoline left of the free throw line so players can flip dunk or something.  It's fun for a half time show but the brains of the game are gone and it's really just a circus.  Vanilla Halo wasn't a circus and I don't want a circus.  I hope this article is bs but I have to say I'm worried.

• Upvote (+1) 4

1) There has been no mention/sighting of jetpacks anywhere in H5.

2) This "Sprint" that everyone's freaking out about is more of a exaggerated melee lunge, with no shield re-charging.

3) The ground pound, thrusters, etc. were all featured in the H5 Beta for ARENA!! Not BTB. Expect Arena to have these things, with BTB adding in Ordnance, Loadouts, H4 Battlefield shit.

4) Everyone needs to read the article and think before commenting stupid shit like "OMG, this is so COD!" Out of all the COD games there is only one with these extra movement options. And it is certainly not a new thing! Think Quake & UT before blathering on about how much this is going to suck because they're trying to cater to COD fans. Is it what we're used to? No. Can it be good? Definitely. All the things added are universal traits, and offensive abilities - the opposite of everything in H4. With the beta, and the chance to perfect the balancing, I think it will work out: Worst-case scenario: Not as good as CE, H2, or H2A, but better than 3, 4 or Reach. Best case: Best behind CE.

Pancakes.  I just want to walk and shoot.  Destiny and CoD AW can benefit from this too.  Separate the communities and disable majority of the stuff in the competitive one.  I would love a Destiny PvP with no double jumps, supers, extra strength melees.  I would love a CoD AW playlist with no exo skeleton.  I would love a Halo with just walking and shooting.

Pancakes.  I just want to walk and shoot.  Destiny and CoD AW can benefit from this too.  Separate the communities and disable majority of the stuff in the competitive one.  I would love a Destiny PvP with no double jumps, supers, extra strength melees.  I would love a CoD AW playlist with no exo skeleton.  I would love a Halo with just walking and shooting.

Congrats, cause you have it with MCC!!

We don't need a split in settings among the community... 

Remember guys if Halo 5 turns out to be the absolute worst Halo game in the franchise you will be forced to play it at events.

#devsupport 343!

• Upvote (+1) 2

People really need to stop the "CoD Clone".

It discredits your whole post.

I agree, halo 5 will be halo, it won't be call of duty. Advanced warfare and titanfall have a lot of the same ideas in the game but has anyone actually played both games?? They're not the same at all, and halo won't be a call of duty clone

Remember guys if Halo 5 turns out to be the absolute worst Halo game in the franchise you will be forced to play it at events.

#devsupport 343!

What are you talking about?

If it turns out to be that bad there won't be any events.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How would anyone know, considering we've never TRIED IT

Really wish Reach didn't have Sprint, why would it be an armor ability anyway? It's a human trait if your'e gonna have sprint in the game then have it at all times if not then remove it didn't really fit the rest of the AA's... Thinking about it Armor Abilities ruined the game for me cause of how they were implemented 

• Upvote (+1) 1

People who say they have to do different things to keep people interested in Halo have obviously forgotten about Halo 4 already. What if they created a solid Halo game closer to Halo CE or Halo 2 even? I bet you more people would stick around for longer that's for sure. They seem to always try new things and they always seem to fail; those dumb pickups in Halo 3, Armor Abilities in Reach, and everything in Halo 4. Go back to basics and create a good Halo game and then add a few things here and there if you have to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People who say they have to do different things to keep people interested in Halo have obviously forgotten about Halo 4 already. What if they created a solid Halo game closer to Halo CE or Halo 2 even? I bet you more people would stick around for longer that's for sure. They seem to always try new things and they always seem to fail; those dumb pickups in Halo 3, Armor Abilities in Reach, and everything in Halo 4. Go back to basics and create a good Halo game and then add a few things here and there if you have to.

The mechanics added in Halo 4 was broken and unbalanced.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Take the emergent gameplay (the "meta" gameplay) of Halo 1's mechanics and place it into new environments that create different demands, add sensibly balanced weapons/power-ups/etc that create new dynamics, and do everything in your power to maintain that core meta-play. This is difficult considering that Halo is first and foremost a story-driven game, so the multiplayer is something of a campaign sandbox. What's also very difficult is the fact that only the best of the best Halo 1 players even know the meta-play to begin with at this point in time (not accounting for new things learned after the fact or potential meta-play that nobody is aware of yet). The people designing the game don't know it so they can't understand the implications of their designs on it. The challenge becomes making the developers fully aware of that gameplay and seeing the value in maintaining it. Think of a master clay sculptor making something beautiful and then asking another sculptor to replicate it. If that person doesn't have the same mastery, the duplicate simply won't be the same quality. Do we need to build a gamer army of people who can master or have mastered Halo 1, then have them master game design? What is the solution?

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know for a communications major you're not very eloquent.

Yeah I'm well aware that my posts in this entire thread have been nowhere near eloquent. I've had 2 important exams and 2 pretty big quizzes in 4 different classes in that time, and at the time I was writing the specific post you're talking about I had not slept for over 36 hours. Going on the forums was what I found myself doing in my breaks between studying. I also was feeling silly, hence all the acronyms. Even as I write this I've only gotten a few hours of sleep... Let's not take pointless shots at each other just because you had to realize you weren't going to get what you wanted. 

(It doesn't matter how much interference there is, whether it's lack of eloquence, or just a bad reception, as long as the other person gets what you're trying to say, you're successfully communicating.)

We've been doing this since the first sneak peek of halo 4. We said "sprint is terrible because of XYZ" before the game was released. We had concerns about no-descope, the size of the sniper rifle, recoil and the perks/abilities...how much did 343 change before and after the game was released? all we really got were red X's, a 4sk BR with the weapon tuning update and a rank system that took them 6 months to implement...the game was still utterly terrible because we still had sprint, no de-scope, a hideous sniper, recoil and flinch, loud ass footsteps among other things. We even had a thread dedicated to issues with halo 4 where cyren or saucey compiled a LONG list of stuff we didn't like, stuff we liked and stuff that could be tweaked...the OP had a lot of stuff in it...I think sprint was mentioned more than once and low and behold sprint appears to be in H5 in some shape or form.

We are giving feedback, but it seems as if it's falling on deaf ears. I don't know how many times this community or any other halo community can regurgitate the same thing before 343 gets it.

When we get another sneak peek at a new title this weekend and midship loads up and its almost twice the size of the original with spartans climbing, sprint charging and thrusting about in a chaotic environment just remember to grade them and help them make it better.

All you managed to really point out was that we actually have no control over whether or not they take our advice. Which we all knew deep down. 

my thing is this, asking for the whole game to be barebones isn't ideal. first off, halo ce and 2 are the most skillful games of the series for 2v2 and 4v4 respectively. but they are not perfect games, they work perfectly fine even today but that doesnt mean they can't be made even better.

to say i just want to play hce or h2 with a new coat paint is to be content with whats been done already. what we should be thinking is i wanna play a new halo thats the best halo game yet.

But if you look at the one thing they changed across the board you notice it was huge and it was low hanging fruit all done in forge: the ROD was heavily reduced in scope and in influence. That made map control begin to take relevance once again. This was huge because random ordnance was their most significant "improvement" - their prized crown of achievement - and they literally abandoned it. I think the other thingsyou mentioned would have been given the attention you would have liked but the ROI for 343 was minimal given the population. They literally were not tweeks in forge and most people moved on.

But if you look at the one thing they changed across the board you notice it was huge and it was low hanging fruit all done in forge: the ROD was heavily reduced in scope and in influence. That made map control begin to take relevance once again. 

I agree

There was map control in halo 4  from day 1. I'll never buy into the nonsense that the guns before the weapon tuning didn't allow map control. Just because you can die from a more consistent weapon (dmr) at longer ranges than the BR did not mean map control meant nothing. Every single game I played pre and post update I controlled key positions on whatever map I was playing or I had to retake them from the opposing team. If you couldnt control key points on a map before teh weapon tuning you were simply playing the map/game wrong. That update simply appeased to the 4sk BR crowd in an attempt to keep them playing a terrible game, it didn't work out like 343 planned in the long run after almost all competitive players abandoned it.

I assume you mean power positions, because Random Ordnance took a LOT away from map control in my opinion. 

Keeping players trapped on Blue/Red Ramp or Open Ramp on Haven could just be shattered by a random Binary drop.

The loadout weapons obviously didn't damage that but Ordnances certainly did.

• Upvote (+1) 3