CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If the Beta is as shit as it is looking, all we can hope to do is light a fire so big underneath 343's asses that they reverse a few.

Inb4 "Sorry but sprint, thruster packing and groundpounding are all in the engine, we can't remove them now".

• Upvote (+1) 3

How about we give them one more chance, I mean they do listen they've updated Halo 4 didn't they? And they've said multiple times that the beta would serve as areal beta where MCC buyers get to be testers in which 343 hopes to gain alot of feedback.

You can be neggy all you want but that would just mess with your head. 

Negativity wasn't the reason why some competitive scenes are so solid right now.

Counter Strike crowd was all like "da fuq is this, da fuq is that" when Global offensive was released but that didn't stop them from being all like "well it's still counter strike anyway so we'll stick with this and see what's gonna happen" Valve sees population, its good then turned their heads sees all this feedback and suggestions for skins, balance changes, maps requests etc. Valve responded with patches people were happy but it's still not all perfect so the people kept giving constructive criticism Valve kept responding cause the game is doing great in population and sales and they dont wanna mess with itand so on. Look at where GO is right now...

Same happened with Dota 2. Also with Street Fighter to some degree.

Or There is the Smash route (this is where we should've gone) where the community thought "What the fuck were they thinking with this game, fuck it we're going back"  and they did then the rest was history.

The Changes didn't stopped them from competing, they were open minded they thought of things for the community. While we did was the exact opposite. The Halo Competitive community were just spreading hate screaming and cursing all over in streams, comment sections, forums. We didn't play anything we sat around doing flame wars to each other. It was suicide we didn't wanna play any halo even though we could have, I mean the smash people are playing on their damn Gamecubes. We have the 360 on our side with Halo 3. We hated Bungie, now we are hating 343.

Heck look at COD:AW majority of them right now are trying their best to learn/adapt to the game that's completely different from the traditional gameplay. And alot seems to love the challenge . I know it's too early to tell but what ever.

TLDR : We used our passion through hating hoping to god for a miracle to come that the developers would listen to our anger so we just waited and do nothing. While other communities were open minded enough to do what's best for the community. 

Or we can provide constructive feedback from the beta since we're getting it a year before it releases (which one can gather is the reason why they're doing it to begin with).

That kind of stuff goes a long way.

That post was a joke, just bouncing off Andy's post...however

There will be plenty of feedback given from everyone. How much of that actually making a difference on the game is what worries me. If they (343) want to implement new features (ground pound, sprint/charge, thruster, etc.) then the entire game will be built around these new gameplay features, maps and gametypes will be built around these features and how much of their own game will they want to change to accommodate the "sprint is terrible for halo because of XYZ" argument for the 1000 time will be left unknown till next year. We told them a year and change ago why sprint was terrible for halo, the guys on waypoint told them why it was terrible, the halo fans on neogaf told them why it was terrible, the ppl that left to go play other games showed them why it was terrible....after a while it's like..cmon man...when will you guys learn to not alter the core gameplay so much? I want a fresh experience with every halo game, but not one where I don't even recognize the game that I am playing.

I'm looking forward to this weekend, I hope...I hope the leaked info is completely off, even though the guy is a credible journalist...I hope he's just not relaying information to us accurately...we just can't suffer through another halo title with gameplay changes made to "modernize" halo in the worst ways possible. Halo Reach and Halo 4 almost destroyed this community, another title in the vein of those two will put us 6 feet under...grabbing at copies of TMCC to keep us afloat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Or we can provide constructive feedback from the beta since we're getting it a year before it releases (which one can gather is the reason why they're doing it to begin with).

The only "constructive" feedback I'd have for them if this is all true is a request that they "construct" a new game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm looking forward to this weekend, I hope...I hope the leaked info is completely off, even though the guy is a credible journalist...

Your'e gonna be so fucking disappointed it hurts. 

And yeah the ground pound shit is shady as all hell. But I'm not getting my hopes down not yet atleast

This thread has been an interesting read. But it is amazing how parochial a lot of peoples perspectives are.

I appreciate the wheel can't be reinvented. Also CS is a great case in point of something that has had it's mechanics essentially last the ages.

But CS had a much larger competitive following than Halo ever had, and in CS:GO valve have the luxury of an innovative way to make money off the game, which is the only reason they continue to support it. Valve did fuck all for 1.6 and that still lasted 10 years by the community.

Halo is a AAA console series. They rely mostly on day one sales, not a slow increase in userbase like CS has seen recently. It's an archaic method of game development, but big companies like Microsoft can't simply change how they monetize their biggest first party series. So if you look at revenue generated from Halo, ask yourself what percentage of people were in it for the brilliant, hardcore competitive mechanics. Now ask yourself why they wouldn't add anything new to halo 5 when they just released all the classic Halo's with dedi servers and 60fps just the year before. Do you really think that would sell to the masses?

CS 1.6 still had events running tournaments for it 10 years after it's release...now why was nobody running halo 2 or 1 events 10 years later? There simply isn't the playerbase/fanbase, so people need to be realistic.

From what I have read/seen of Halo 5, it sounds like 343 are doing a fucking stellar job in trying to appease the mainstream and the hardcore players. These new abilities described really don't sound that bad, aside from the "wall climb" which is more than likely a vault/ledge grab thing, not people literally scrambling up walls. I see no reason to believe that these abilities can't add to the skill gap. Obviously, it could very easily decrease the skill gap, I'm sure everyone is aware of that. But at the same time, objectively, I can see how they would work competitively. Ideas in this thread have already displayed quite clearly how they COULD work. So even if in the beta they abilities are slightly fucked, I see no reason why 343 wouldn't gladly tweak them to the hardcore scenes suggestions, as the mainstream audience couldn't give a fuck how the abilities are tuned, just that they are new and shiny. 

So please, going forward, just give constructive criticism to the abilities to work out how they DO work. Because people can harp on about how we can just "switch off" the features, but that's not what we want. What we want is vanilla abilities that are balanced and fair. Instead of a fucking crazy vanilla game with a dead competitive playlist. This sounds highly achievable from getting a rough idea of the abilities (assuming there is no sprint but a charge ability which is used aggressively and not jsut to bomb around the map).

I'm amazed at how naive a lot of people are here, you actually think 343 are stupid for adding new mechanics? Instead of not changing a thing for the tiny percent of competitive Halo fans? 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah, that could be what it means. Seems odd that he would call it Arena and not MP unless that's what they have been calling it and I'm just out of the loop.

How in the actual fuck does this even get negs?  

This forum sometimes I can't..... 

• Upvote (+1) 4

How in the actual fuck does this even get negs?  

This forum sometimes I can't..... 

Well these forums are about to get a whole lot worse if we see this stuff come to fruition on stream sunday.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To me I think Arena is just how they are referring to multiplayer.

I'd love for that to be true and I hope it is, but I don't get the same impression. I think "Arena" is just going to be a single 4v4 playlist, with everything else being more like Infinity Slayer. I hope I'm wrong because I still want to be able to play Doubles and Big Team without the nonsense. A single playlist that resembles Halo gameplay just wont cut it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well these forums are about to get a whole lot worse if we see this stuff come to fruition on stream sunday.

Yeah thinking about taking another break in this forum. It's still the same whiny community i left about 2-3 months a go.

I love the community leaders in here and they're really promising, the forum layout is rad as hell but I can't stand most of the purists in here some even though some provide thoughtful reads but the majority just does drive by posts and negging anything they don't agree with. 

I'd love for that to be true and I hope it is, but I don't get the same impression. I think "Arena" is just going to be a single 4v4 playlist, with everything else being more like Infinity Slayer. I hope I'm wrong because I still want to be able to play Doubles and Big Team without the nonsense. A single playlist that resembles Halo gameplay just wont cut it.

I think Arena is the Standard 4-8 player gametypes like Slayer, CTF, Oddball, FFA, Doubles etc. Standard Halo multiplayer with pick ups, respawn times and all.

They keep saying Arena because it's trying to cater to the Fans/HardCore players and I think there going to do the complete opposite with Big team battles where they'd put Load outs, Ordinance drops, possibly perks but no AAs. This is the game mode where Casuals/Scrubs/Nubs/Cores are gonna love this is where 343 would wow the gaming industry. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, that could be what it means. Seems odd that he would call it Arena and not MP unless that's what they have been calling it and I'm just out of the loop.

Yeah, maybe it's like how they called MP War Games in Halo 4.

To me I think Arena is just how they are referring to multiplayer.

yea I think so too, you can tell from the first sneak peek at h5 with the spartans flying into the Arena with the big screen...it's a cool name and I like it 

I think Arena is the Standard 4-8 player gametypes like Slayer, CTF, Oddball, FFA, Doubles etc. Standard Halo multiplayer with pick ups, respawn times and all.

They keep saying Arena because it's trying to cater to the Fans/HardCore players and I think there going to do the complete opposite with Big team battles where they'd put Load outs, Ordinance drops, possibly perks but no AAs. This is the game mode where Casuals/Scrubs/Nubs/Cores are gonna love this is where 343 would wow the gaming industry. 

this would just confirm that leak from some months ago about how H5's multiplayer would be split into two sections, one with smaller scaled gametypes and the other with large scale gametypes...

Arena...

hmmm...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll take this over one little competitive 4v4 playlist!

• Upvote (+1) 1

yea I think so too, you can tell from the first sneak peek at h5 with the spartans flying into the Arena with the big screen...it's a cool name and I like it 

this would just confirm that leak from some months ago about how H5's multiplayer would be split into two sections, one with smaller scaled gametypes and the other with large scale gametypes...

Arena...

hmmm...

Yeah, funny before all this were announced neogaf thought he was out of his damn mind, saying stuff like 4 games 1080p 60fps over a hundred maps and a beta for H5 in 60$. I guess he just wanted the halo people to be ready lol.

Speaking of Maps he had this to say.....

6 maps in a beta damn, it's also interesting what he had to say to the BTB maps

Why doesn't this have more +rep..?

This is exactly what I said a couple pages back. People need to give 343i their input other than "these new things are bad and they need to completely disappear and then the game will be good". Adjust what the developers have implemented. They're the developers, it's their job to come up with ideas. We just grade them and help them make it better. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

The only "constructive" feedback I'd have for them if this is all true is a request that they "construct" a new game.

see gtfo no help whatsoever

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

see gtfo

No thank you, nothing from this supposed leak can be tweaked in my opinion to make a good halo game. IMO it all needs to go.

• Downvote (-1) 7

No thank you, nothing from this supposed leak can be tweaked in my opinion to make a good halo game. IMO it all needs to go.

I'm having trouble what to feel about this... part of me thinks with the right features to be added Halo could kick COD's ass and be the top dog on XBL again (yes I still dream about this) and the other part of me can't believe 343 for having the audacity to even think about putting a ground pound mechanic in my golden triangle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's fine. Try not to be disappointed when it's there. 

That's fine. Try not to be disappointed when it's there. 

You know for a communications major you're not very eloquent.

• Downvote (-1) 1