CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

okay, but that only rules out some of what he said as bad descriptions. these abilities themselves could all still be in

You are right, though I think the whole point of him tweeting it was to say this article is wrong, though he obviously didn't exactly say that.

I understand they keep saying equal starts. And the article says there are "loadouts". But what if that just means, you can pick from a BR, AR, Carbine, and DMR or something. Maybe you will be able to pick out a weapon from the same 4 or 5 weapon options as everyone else. No choosing perks, weapon combos, grenades, or AAs like in Halo 4 and Reach. 

This is what Bing or Microsoft translates that sentence into-- Halo 5 Guardians, multiplayer is an evolution of the genre of online shooter, where the rate of fire is more relaxed, but where it is best to always run and jump, where it matters most to aim that children know each map. It's rather weird that there were two variations on the same article. Maybe the author is still confused on which flow the game has since he only had such a small sample. Regardless, thanks for the original translation. I think bringing attention to this was a great idea and it may have slipped through the cracks without you being on top of your game. Better to deflate our expectations now with Halo Fest and Halo 5 footage right around the corner. I'd rather go in with lower expectations and potentially be blown away than to go in expecting greatness only to be left feeling let down.

I laughed at the children bit :D , it was a gergal expression for "very well".

• Upvote (+1) 1

It wasn't. It had one of the longest development time of all Halos.

Noh8r

I understand they keep saying equal starts. And the article says there are "loadouts". But what if that just means, you can pick from a BR, AR, Carbine, and DMR or something. Maybe you will be able to pick out a weapon from the same 4 or 5 weapon options as everyone else. No choosing perks, weapon combos, grenades, or AAs like in Halo 4 and Reach. 

then thats not equal starts. clearly the reporter is confused or this whole article is bs. because no one can verify anything. so let's see what 343 shows us this weekend

also what day does the invitational start, friday or saturday?

The actual words were: "You will be able to choose the starting equipment even though Halo is not like Call of Duty [...] . Anyway it will be possible to choose starting weapons, your Armor (which is purely aesthetic) and choose your color and emblem."

• Upvote (+1) 1

If everyone has the innate "spartan abilities" which are not AA's, then it's still equal starts. 

Will still be fucking bullshit if there's all this other shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The actual words were: "You will be able to choose the starting equipment even though Halo is not like Call of Duty [...] . Anyway it will be possible to choose starting weapons, your Armor (which is purely aesthetic) and choose your color and emblem."

so then we have confirmation this is bs then? @kos you are right bro

so then we have confirmation this is bs then? @kos you are right bro

We have confirmation that the reviewer is an idiot, but we knew it from the start.

It doesn't confirm that the article is fake, it just confirms that the article is bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We have confirmation that the reviewer is an idiot, but we knew it from the start.

It doesn't confirm that the article is fake, it just confirms that the article is bad.

so best case scenario, these abilities are much more balanced then described and the ones not in the beta trailer(climbing/double jumping) don't exist?

so best case scenario, these abilities are much more balanced then described and the ones not in the beta trailer(climbing/double jumping) don't exist?

Most probable scenario is that everything in the game isn't as bad as it was described, but I don't think he got anything else wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I am dead sure the starting weapon will be a choice of one or maybe two or three range equivalent (equal) weapons, after what Josh Holmes said I cant see a choice of five weapon sets that would feel like personal loadouts, which I am sure are gone.

Most probable scenario is that everything in the game isn't as bad as it was described, but I don't think he got anything else wrong.

based on CT's post earlier, if done right i wouldn't mind. at the very least it wont be reach or 4. thats a step in the right direction albeit it could be a baby step.

While it DOES sound plausible, especially after Halo 4, the problem with all this is that 343i not only acknowledges that Halo 4 was shit, but also acknowledges WHY it was shit. So it doesn't make sense to me that they'd go and do essentially the same thing again (turn Halo into something it's not: Titanfall / Advanced Warfare) but this time with different yet equally horrible non-Halo mechanics.

It just doesn't add up. Especially after all the talk of fair starts and such. Also, as I said before, they said "everyone starts with the same weapons", not "everyone starts with the same CHOICE of weapons", which means loadouts and even H2A-style preset "loadouts" are both out, at least as far as the beta is concerned. Also, "press right stick to ground pound"? Right-stick is scope. So unless they removed scoping in, or (worse yet) turned Halo into ADS (which I seriously don't think 343i is stupid enough to do), then that is obvious bullshit as well.

All of this just sounds made up for the sake of sales/click-bait.

I was going to bring this up but I saw you beat me to it. 

That's kind of what I was getting at with my breakdown a few pages back: it's about execution. The dash/thruster thing, if it were a "use once every 30 or 60 seconds" or an on-map pick-up that can be used twice and then exhausted, is not the worst idea in the world and would actually be super useful in clutch situations while not being able to be spammed like Armour Lock in Reach, for example.

Double-jumping is nonsense though. No reason for it. It adds absolutely nothing. I'd rather see short wall-running type things like in Titanfall (only toned down and with way better maps, and thus, execution than Titanfall did) than see double-jumping being spammed everywhere.

I don't think it will be spammed everywhere. I don't see it being overpowering. 

What 343 needs to realize:

You don't need to change the mechanics of the game in order to "keep it fresh" and have it be relevant. Halo was working great the way it was, and even though they (Bungie) changed SOME things throughout, the core mechanics never really deviated so much that the game became broken or "not Halo"...Just give me more ways to enjoy the game I already love and I'll be happy!

But would that make 343i good video game developers? Would you say they're the best in the business? They want to be known as a good company because their employees are filled with ideas. Keeping the old game that we all love with some buffed up graphics won't get people switching from COD to Halo. Because Halo has been there the whole time COD has been big. And I mean like H2-H3. If COD kids wouldn't come then why would they now.

I just don't understand the thought that Halo needs to change, evolve, adapt, add all these new things - whatever it is - to be a successful game, especially competitively. 

I've brought it up before but the best example of how to properly make a game - and make adjustments to it to make sure it only gets better and better while still keeping the core gameplay the same is CS GO. 

When CS GO first came out, it was pretty horrible. It didn't feel like a traditional Counter Strike game, and it needed A LOT of changes to bring it back to what CS fans had come to love over the past 10+ years. 

Over time, Valve continually made updates to the game to fix things that were broken or needed adjustment, and as a result CS GO exploded as a result - both in terms of player numbers and tournament viewer numbers. 

Now, things such as betting on matches with skins and the CS GO marketplace absolutely helped in the explosion of popularity CS GO has seen over the past year plus, there is no denying that. But, just to keep on saying it because it is the absolute truth - the gameplay itself improved and added new things while still keeping the game at it's core a traditional Counter Strike game. You can ask any Counter Strike player out there - the game has improved so much over time because of Valve knowing what needed to be done to make the game great and return it to it's original roots that made is such a phenomenon in the past. 

Games now a days do not need to have double jumps - active camos - ground punch - and all this supposed stuff that might be in Halo 5. Bring back an actual Halo game. Because, as shocking as this may sound, fans will play a game that has new things added that DO NOT change the core gameplay that fans had come to know and love for years and years before. 

But how many homes have a computer that has CS GO on it? The problem is that while the numbers are big, but they're not Call of Duty Franchise big. I haven't done any research so feel free to try and correct me but I think it's pretty clear. 

Yeah I am dead sure the starting weapon will be a choice of one or maybe two or three range equivalent (equal) weapons, after what Josh Holmes said I cant see a choice of five weapon sets that would feel like personal loadouts, which I am sure are gone.

and im dead sure someone just posted a link where they said everyone will start with the same weapon

and im dead sure someone just posted a link where they said everyone will start with the same weapon

we will see, post beta I cant see them leaving the weapon sets option out of the customs Ui.  Italian really is a beautiful lyrical language  

Can we talk about how double jumping fucks up the lore?

:saucey:

Crash Bandicoot helped train the Spartan IV's, following the Operation: NSANITY disaster.

we will see, post beta I cant see them leaving the weapon sets option out of the customs Ui.  Italian really is a beautiful lyrical language  

for customs, yeah. mm? nope, until it's confirmed 343 are lying about equal starts i'm going to take their word for it

If it were up to me, Halo 5 would be CE or H2 with spectator mode; however, that is not the case. Halo 5 will not be classic halo. There will be changes. Most of them will be foreign to us and we will detest them. Sprint most likely will be in. Its a new generation and console FPS are changing (cod ruined them). Overall, we are going to have to hope that Halo 5 is still a viable good game and that we can adapt to change to support the franchise. Its the sad truth. We also will always have MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But would that make 343i good video game developers? Would you say they're the best in the business? They want to be known as a good company because their employees are filled with ideas. Keeping the old game that we all love with some buffed up graphics won't get people switching from COD to Halo. Because Halo has been there the whole time COD has been big. And I mean like H2-H3. If COD kids wouldn't come then why would they now.

It's like the "reinventing the wheel" addage: a new wheel hasn't really been invented. Why? Don't need one. They just improved what was already there instead of trying to change it into a square or something.

The reason CoD became huge despite Halo 2 and 3 still being available, is because until Halo, CoD kept things fairly copacetic from title to title (with the odd exceptions here or there), all the while Halo drastically changed into something else completely. Had the next Halo game after 3 been, basically, like Halo 3 but with sandbox updates, new maps, some new weapons, gameplay tweaks, better Forge, better netcode/servers, etc., Halo would almost certainly not be in the dire situation it has been in for the last 4 or 5 years.

CoD inadvertently capitalized on the dying Halo community, which was a byproduct of Reach starting a downward trend of changes and features that Halo just doesn't mesh with. 

EDIT: And both the competitive scene, as well as the general market, will by and large always follow the "new and shiny" thing. And when Halo's "new and shiny thing" was a dull turd, it's not surprising that CoD was able to capitalize.

for customs, yeah. mm? nope, until it's confirmed 343 are lying about equal starts i'm going to take their word for it

yeah I hope they do not put loadouts in swat

• Upvote (+1) 1

This whole thing will be so funny if these rumors are wrong and halo 5 ends up being the best game is the franchise

I will eat legos if that happens.

On stream.

Quote me.

• Upvote (+1) 4

But how many homes have a computer that has CS GO on it? The problem is that while the numbers are big, but they're not Call of Duty Franchise big. I haven't done any research so feel free to try and correct me but I think it's pretty clear. 

I could't find any of the numbers for CoD in terms of average players and viewer numbers. I did find the numbers for the last major CS GO event held in August at Gamescom. 

http://www.eslgaming.com/news/esl-one-cologne-shatters-industry-viewership-records-gamescom-2014

Some of the main points in the article:

- Online concurrent viewership peak of 409,368 viewers during the grand final; This broke the record of the previous CS GO major back in March by over 160%

- Pure concurrent spectator viewership on Twitch reached 343,368 viewer peak; This was a 153% increase from the previous CS GO major held back in March

CS GO has also been the #2 most played game on Steam for a good time now, behind Dota 2. 

• Upvote (+1) 2