CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The fact that MC and Locke have different HUDs and the insane amount of MC/Locke rivarly (or whatever you want to call it) tells me that both will be pivotal and playable within the SP, most likely they'll let you decide which you want to play as from the beginning of the game, that way you'll be able to see 2 sides of the same coin.

gfs_27938_1_24_mid.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

There was one spartan ops mission where jackal snipers spawned on top of a small mountain and started taking shots at you. Palmer's reaction to this, I shit you not, was "freakin campers!"

That is all.

People actually played Spartan Ops?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The vibe I get, from both ads, is that they both portray the chief through the statue. I also feel the chief talks about himself in his trailer and then addresses Locke at the end. It makes sense in my head that way. Does anyone else get that feeling in the Chief trailer?

The vibe I get, from both ads, is that they both portray the chief through the statue. I also feel the chief talks about himself in his trailer and then addresses Locke at the end. It makes sense in my head that way. Does anyone else get that feeling in the Chief trailer?

Chief maintains his own identity through his different looking armor. The statue, by contrast, is the armor of old, which seems like it is the general identity of the legendary Spartan rather than Chief himself.

My analysis.

The whole #huntthetruth thing makes me believe one of these trailers is a lie. Most likely Locke's.  I'm thinking Master Chief defeats Locke, and tells him something along the lines of "Tell ONI you killed me, there's none of me left to bring back, stay out of my way" and leaves.  The Locke trailer is Locke's interpretation of what he's telling to ONI in regards to what happened.  The DMR with the BR in the HUD could be an oversight, but it's possible that it's an intentional discrepancy to show some sort of fallacy within Locke's story.  Perhaps he misquotes a detail to ONI and they realize he's lying, or more likely it's just to show the viewers that Locke's view is fabricated.

The damaged head of the Master Chief statue is only apparent during the MC depiction of the event, in the Locke trailer MC's statue is fully in tact. Some people on reddit mention that it has to do with Chief not having Cortana. I think that's a bit silly, more likely resembles some sort of mental breakdown on John's behalf as the statue is missing a chunk in the back of his head.  This would play along with the whole 'sociopath' thing 343 has been trying to paint on Spartan II's starting with Halo 4.  Some sort of emotional or psychological breakdown in some way.  It could be an oversight, again, but this is unlikely due to what seems like a very intentional camera angle from the back of the statue.  The fact that it's in the MC trailer and not Locke's might hint at some sort of personal reflection that Chief is doing as he walks forward, gazing at HIMSELF.  The dialogue in the opening of the MC trailer could be applied to Locke, but I think it's more intended to be interpreted as Chief talking to himself, which makes sense as he walks towards the Statue.

The colors play an interesting role in differentiation.  Chief's trailer is undeniably more menacing, more likely due to the dark muddy red sunset backdrop that matches his visor, where Lock's scenery shows the light blue mid day of his visor.  The stormy weather in MC's trailer could, again, point to inward turmoil. 

Locke throws down the DMR and pulls out a pistol, where Chief just mounts the AR on his back and draws his pistol.  This shows that Locke's entire mission was to get Chief, when he stands in front of he sees no need to keep the rifle so he dispatches of it, because it's unnecessary at that point. Chief mounts his AR on his back before drawing his pistol.  Showing that his objective isn't to kill Locke, but Locke is just an obstacle in his way.

Then there's the obvious stuff; burning Infinity and whatnot.

Or maybe I'm just looking into this too much.

i am mastr ch33f roflcoptr loloollololollolololololololol sprint.

Your English teachers must have loved you.

I thought about that too. Like MC was mocking him. He was looking at the statue while addressing Locke but also talking about himself too asking was it worth doing all of that. "Was everything you've compromised, everything you've worked for worth it?" Translation: I've saved the galaxy. What have you done?

I thought about that too. Like MC was mocking him. He was looking at the statue while addressing Locke but also talking about himself too asking was it worth doing all of that. "Was everything you've compromised, everything you've worked for worth it?" Translation: I've saved the galaxy. What have you done?

"I killed most my squad and all of another by impulsively trying to be a hero on a broken Halo ring."  :trash:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After viewing the two trailers, all I can say is color me interested. This story could actually be good. 

The bolded is key in my opinion. If you listen to the MCs tone, it sounds like Locke really screwed his plan up some and caused some collateral damage when he "compromised". What could he have compromised though?

based on these two trailers, I think the truth will lie somewhere in between. There is always two sides to the story, but rarely ever is it an exact match one way or another. Super excited for E3 to see our first real glimpses at the campaign.

Welp, all it took was a couple trailers for the hype train to start? 

Impressive 343, but you aint gonna get me to hop on board!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm sure when release time gets close there will be several reminders of the MCC disaster. I'll be on the hype train, but I'm going to watch H5 streams before I think about buying it.

Who came up with that date?! 

Putting trust in the own brand is a good thing but releasing so close to CoD and Battlefront?!

The trailers are great though!

I'm gunna buy it, mostly for the campaign. I'm here to have fun, and the whole boycotting thing kinda ruins that. Buying Halo 5 isn't going to tell them that releasing broken games is okay. They already know they fucked up; sales took a nose dive off a cliff after the initial purchasing, the PR they've had from this has been terrible and they've even had people admitting it such as Frankie on NeoGAF.

When I'm thinking of buying a game I really don't care who made it. I don't care if they released a broken game in the past, or if their past games suck. Awful devs have turned around to make fantastic games, great devs have also gone on to make crap games.

I judge games entirely by their own merits, not by the people who made them. I agree with not pre ordering games, especially now with digital being so prevalent. However if Halo 5 turns out to work perfectly fine I'll be buying it.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Alright, long day of work. Back to the keyboard grind :prayers:

Must have accidentally cleared my notifications when you responded. I'll do so now.

Responding in order:

1. Unsightly to your eyes, not everyone's. Plenty of people like it, plenty of people don't, and some people don't mind either way.

So to sum up the message of your post: "That's just your opinion man".

You asked for someone to explain why they don't like smartscope, so I did. Not sure why the whole subjective nature of it is worth mentioning. 343 could make every weapon in the game a different type of sausage, and they could make Spartans look like walking daffodils. But whether or not it would be a good visual change would be entirely subjective because personal enjoyment of a visual change depends on the individual. It goes without saying.

You were originally speaking like there's no possible good reason to dislike smartscope and that it's just "nostalgia", and then I gave you reasons. That's all there is to it; whether or not it's based on opinion doesn't factor into the discussion.

Oh and by the way, the thing about smartscope making Halo less visually like Halo and more visually like the common modern shooter... That's actually not an opinion. That's literally what has happened. Whether or not you like that happening to Halo is the subjective part.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'll buy it, but I dont play anything else, so it be nice too rage at another halo again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That Locke trailer had me kinda pissed

The MC trailer tho? Woo wee.

Whats spartan ops?

Im pretty sure its the sequel to spartan assault.