CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'd agree that they both serve the same exact purpose and they should just buff the regular Sword

Because the sword isn't already insanely overpowered in a Halo with sprint. Prophet's Bane is just like Default Reach+Sword all over again.

I like the idea of Legendary Weapons. Would love to see a Fist of Rukt hammer and the CE pistol come back as them.

Oossh CE Pistol as a legendary weapon would be sick as fuck

Because the sword isn't already insanely overpowered in a Halo with sprint. Prophet's Bane is just like Default Reach+Sword all over again.

The sword was god awful in Halo 4 to the point it wasn't even featured in v5 if I recall correctly. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think we're talking about diffrent things all together.

I don't think having useless weapons is the way to go! I agree that any weapon should have its role and its niche where its usefull!

What I meant was, having multiple weapons of the same "class" doing the same job isn't necessary a bad thing!

Let's say you have a good working mechanic for an AR, I think it is not a bad thing to introduce not just a human AR but also a covenant version and maybe even a second human AR model that is working almost exactly like the stadard model but looks diffrent!

Sure it would be "useless" from a certain point of view to have 3 models doing the same thing but on the other hand it would be a little like having diffrent skins for weapons and that would add a more appealing layer to non-competitive player (I think)

So let's say we had 3 "skins" for the AR/BR (classic, reach, new design/ classic, H4/5, new design) that would work exactly the same and a player could choose what version to spawn with (not like loadouts , but if you're playing BR starts you will spawn with your BR skin), would that still be a bad thing? (I know that is not possible thanks to smart scope utilizing guns model..just hypothetically speaking)

I hope a made my point clear and understandable, english is not my first language and my grammar might be a little rusty..

Either way it's pointless and doesn't actually do anything better for the game. Just another gimmick.

1000 pages in and we can finally agree that ground pound isn't a  big deal, in context, right? right? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1000 pages in and we can finally agree that ground pound isn't a  big deal, in context, right? right? 

If they really managed to fix jump crouching without ground pounding then I'm fine with it

6PM Eastern and still nothing new with the Tumblr. Seems like it will be 9PM Eastern like last week.

If they really managed to fix jump crouching without ground pounding then I'm fine with it

which they've claimed to be working on.

Something seems off when we are F5ing a Halo Tumblr page with a CoD million dollar tourney going on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6PM Eastern and still nothing new with the Tumblr. Seems like it will be 9PM Eastern like last week.

The countdown is linked to your computer and not a specific countdown. 

The countdown is linked to your computer and not a specific countdown. 

Which I find to be ridiculous. Another thing 343 and M$ can't figure out how to make things simple.

Yeah because that totally never happened on Midship /s

1:24:25

Mason, I truly do hate you sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So do you think smartscope improves upon the situation you linked in that video?

Nope don't really think it has much of a affect on the situation. The "who can re-zoom first" battle you described has always been in Halo, is a great way to out-class someone and is no different in Halo 5. 

Mason, I truly do hate you sometimes.

Aha get rekt kid  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nope don't really think it has much of a affect on the situation. The "who can re-zoom first" battle you described has always been in Halo, is a great way to out-class someone and is no different in Halo 5.

My argument is that the importance of scoping has increased significantly due to both gun traits and increased map size, while the overall quality of the scope system has dropped due to the ADS animation delay and the ability to zoom using the left trigger.

I'm worried that we're going to see re-scope fights more often (from increased incentives to scope and the large maps making long range fights more likely), and the overall quality of these fights will be worse. I think the old system makes you feel more "linked with the weapon" than the new one. The old system delivers its functionality almost instantaneously and with minimal intrusion to the HUD, while the new one degrades these attributes for the sake of eye candy and familiarity with other shooters.

When I say clear cut, I mean each weapon has a classification and there is a very low amount of weapons to begin with. Balance issues shouldn't be a big deal, (in fact, they have yet to be since CE because of this. Sandbox weapons have never once overrode the utility or power weapons, which, theoretically, are all that is necessary for a functional Halo game. The issue is that, since Halo 2, there is virtually no reason to use most of the sandbox weapons outside of being forced to start with them). And no Halo game yet has ever had too many weapons (just too many useless weapons). There is simply no cause for 343i to begin making weapons with the design of making them all subtly different simply because there aren't enough weapons to necessitate that design choice. Just because 3 of the installments (Reach really doesn't count. Reach cut back on weapons, and added new ones with their own distinct gameplay advantages, but it still has the Plasma Rifle, Spiker, Needler, and Repeater as useless weapons, which makes it bad, but not horrible) couldn't figure out what a dynamic weapon was, does not mean that the sandbox was flooded by any means. Halo simply lost creativity after CE (and then they gained a little back for the intro of the GL and CR, and then lost it again with the loss of the GL). Like, really. we aren't at the point in time where it's justifiable to begin making a bunch of weapons that aren't different. The amount of weapons in the game simply doesn't need it.

The balance issues present since Halo 2 aren't a result of having too many weapons and a relative few dominating the rest. The balance issues present since Halo 2 are there because of the higher KT's, the lack of dynamic mechanics attached to many of the weapons, the aftermath of the destruction caused by dual-wielding, and a general application of laziness. We don't need subtle niches (except perhaps in the utility weapon department), because there is ample opportunity to utilize Halo's construction to make every weapon unique and balanced.

Good post.

I don't disagree that the sandbox could be a lot more distinct and relevant but at the same time I don't think that detracts from the point. UT is known for having a very unique set of weapons that encourage diverse interesting play, but that doesn't mean it can't have two different snipers with subtle differences. I'm almost certain we'll see the reemergence of both of them within their newest title because of their intentions to create revenue from a mod / cosmetic workshop.

There is an elegance to having an extremely stripped back sandbox similar to that of a classic arena shooter but honestly at this stage it is a pipedream that doesn't reflect what Halo is and has been for the last 10 years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The sword was god awful in Halo 4 to the point it wasn't even featured in v5 if I recall correctly.

Sword was never featured in any MLG or Throwdown variants.

Good post.

I don't disagree that the sandbox could be a lot more distinct and relevant but at the same time I don't think that detracts from the point. UT is known for having a very unique set of weapons that encourage diverse interesting play, but that doesn't mean it can't have two different snipers with subtle differences. I'm almost certain we'll see the reemergence of both of them within their newest title because of their intentions to create revenue from a mod / cosmetic workshop.

There is an elegance to having an extremely stripped back sandbox similar to that of a classic arena shooter but honestly at this stage it is a pipedream that doesn't reflect what Halo is and has been for the last 10 years.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't have weapons that are similar to each other and yet subtly different. The two different Snipers (I am NOT counting, nor wilI ever, count the Laser Pointer Binary Rifle as a Sniper Rifle. That thing is an abomination that should be destroyed) and two different "Rockets" (honestly, I prefer the Halo CE PC Fuel Rod over the recent one because I happen to like the overheat system quite a bit) showcase how this is still a plausible measure.

What I'm suggesting is that we, first, need to establish a lineup of sandbox weapons that are effective by their own merit. I'm not suggesting that they be viable starting weapons, either (the only weapons that deserve to be true starting weapons are utility weapons. The AR is fine as a CQC starting weapon, but it must be a complement to a utility weapon). But having weapons with mechanics like plasma freeze, EMP, damage over time, explosives, projectiles, tracking, blinding, radar jamming, wall bouncing, ice freezing, electrocuting, overheating, single shot, and many more serve to add depth to the game. Halo has become increasingly lacking of these dynamics (and, honestly, sometimes it seems like they're trying, but don't quite accomplish what they could) and adding in unique entries into the pool of available weaponry should take precedent before they think of how to make them subtly different for more specific scenarios.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Good post.

The ironic thing is when people talk about Quake/UT like they are these ancient FPS with just really tight fundamentals and ultimately stripped down bare-bones experiences. In reality, they are more complex and diverse Sandbox and gameplay wise than any modern FPS that has come after them. Modern shooters may have 1000 different types of the same hit-scan dominant weapon type, but in competitive play(where it really matters if your a serious gamer) all that is an illusion of choice and I typically see the dominance of one(maybe two?) OP hit-scan AR-type weapons. If you watch a Quake or UT duel/clan play there is constant cycling of weapons and overall more diversity in the tactics that are used.  If modern FPS really did offer more diversity and were more complex(as the young'ins claim) then why has Quake 3:Arena yet to be mastered 16+years later while no new modern FPS has yet to offer a comparable skill ceiling and room for mastery?

Like in UT/Quake you are constantly switching from one weapon to the next depending on the situation and learning when to use each weapon(Hit-scan,projectile, utility) is a significant part of the learning curve, I dont find that to ever be the case in any recent shooters I have played. The only thing really simplified about Arena FPS is the technical aspects compared to modern FPS, there is alot of misunderstanding about the Arena FPS genre I feel that is created by those who dont really play it or are recalling their experiences from 10+years ago when they were young. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

What kind of logic is this? The AR being able to zoom has nothing to do with what we prefer as our fav. go-to weapon, it's the fact that the gun becomes more accurate with the zoom feature.....it's stupid. It's a cqc weapon that became a mid-range gun that could compete with rifles during the beta, that is why we have issued with it.

?.. Issues in what playlist playlist? Social Slayer?? Who gives a fuck about the ARs? The only ones that do are the only ones who should be playing the social playlists anyways. I think Having a radar is broken.... Who cares, because I play HCS all the time! I mean, just look at it as a new weapon. Why aren't you complaining about the Silenced SMG in H2A? Maybe because you don't play maps that include it. Well, its the same thing in H5. I didn't have 1 problem with the AR when they updated the Beta to BR starts. There was only about one AR on map.

My argument is that the importance of scoping has increased significantly due to both gun traits and increased map size, while the overall quality of the scope system has dropped due to the ADS animation delay and the ability to zoom using the left trigger.

I'm worried that we're going to see re-scope fights more often (from increased incentives to scope and the large maps making long range fights more likely), and the overall quality of these fights will be worse. I think the old system makes you feel more "linked with the weapon" than the new one. The old system delivers its functionality almost instantaneously and with minimal intrusion to the HUD, while the new one degrades these attributes for the sake of eye candy and familiarity with other shooters.

For automatics (especially the SMG) you're definitely right Hip fire SMG spread vs Smart Scope SMG spread is like the size of a quarter vs a dime. So this is be a problem in AR starts but then again AR starts is Ebola no matter what game you're playing (Except for CE obviously).

But the difference between hip-fire and smart scope BR spread is so small that there really is no difference to old Halo games.

I was curious so I made this from a video of a dude shooting a wall:

C3Vb82r.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4