CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I nearly forgot about the Snake and Eagle teams. Were they ever used past H1?

32d221d7764a833070e582a789d5e2c1.png   :kappa:

Other than aesthetics and the occasional tightening of spread, it is nothing even close to ADS.

And please tell me, what are these old problems?

the majority of the disdain with ADS is not based on how it affects gameplay (or even aesthetics) instead the source of the anger comes from it being not "halo", or more specifically being from COD.

personally I don't think ADS is all that big of a deal, in fact I would say it does more positive than negative, but even if I were to nitpick I still wouldn't put ADS anywhere close to my biggest gripes with halo 5, I think it'll end up like killcams where people complained nonstop about it but later was hardly ever mentioned.

Nope, tell me.

Well I am not going to list all the shit that was added after Halo CE and discuss that with you tbh. If you read the forums over the last weeks you should know what is wrong with the game but I guess you are someone who would support everything they do.

You will be like "sprint is balanced. thrusters are great and blah blah"

I bet you would still buy the game if it had no descope loadouts perks and scorestreaks.

Let's not kid ourselfs you would have had excuses for everything they could come up with.

Some people here say they love classic Halo but yet they are okay with all these usless and/or game breaking changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

the majority of the disdain with ADS is not based on how it affects gameplay (or even aesthetics) instead the source of the anger comes from it being not "halo", or more specifically being from COD.

personally I don't think ADS is all that big of a deal, in fact I would say it does more positive than negative, but even if I were to nitpick I still wouldn't put ADS anywhere close to my biggest gripes with halo 5, I think it'll end up like killcams where people complained nonstop about it but later was hardly ever mentioned.

I agree. I can see why most people are coming from that perspective.

Personally, I hate the "It's not Halo" argument. It's a pathetic excuse to defend your nostalgia. If a feature works in the game (and/or doesn't affect and damage it), it is fine.

Personally, I had two issues with Smart Scope: one, the spread reduction and headshot multipliers for automatics were far too strong (this has been changed since Beta), and two, some weapons had unappealing scopes that obstructed my view. Rockets, DMR, and Sniper were examples of that. However, on majority of the other weapons such as BR, AR, Pistol, I thought Smart Scope was a perfectly welcome addition. It didn't feel like ADS at all to me and it was more appealing to look at, so I enjoyed it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Well I am not going to list all the shit that was added after Halo CE and discuss that with you tbh. If you read the forums over the last weeks you should know what is wrong with the game but I guess you are someone who would support everything they do.

I bet you would still buy the game if it had no descope loadouts perks and scorestreaks.

Let's not kid ourselfs you would have had excuses for everything they could come up with.

Some people here say they love classic Halo but yet they are okay with all these usless and/or game breaking changes.

Everyone who has ever seen me post should know that I'm on the pro-CE conservative side.

But even I can admit that responses like this, full of ad hominems and without any real substance, is bad. Like, even making a general blanket statement would be better.

I understand as much as anyone that, after years and years of arguing and talking about how the franchise has degenerated and pointing out reasons as to why, it gets annoying when you have to repeat yourself for the hundred thousandth time, but I don't believe that permits a breakdown of communication like this. And, yeah, it's frustrating. I've mostly avoided getting into far too deep in argument anymore (as it relates to gameplay. I'll happily tell anyone that Halo 4's story was bad and why) over the last few years (partially because of more important shit) because I'm tired of pointing out the same shit over and over again. But making a bad name for yourself and your position doesn't really help matters.

• Upvote (+1) 3

First off, don't try to categorize me or target me as any of those things in specific. Because I can, and will, list off a ton of things that I believe are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE about Halo 5, but I am not someone who will make excuses or defend repulsive additions. I asked you to try and defend your points as I did mine (in the post below yours), but instead you decided to blanket statement your argument and attempt to label me as a person instead.

As for buying the game, I'd do it for the Campaign but I wouldn't dare touch a (core) Halo game's multiplayer with killstreaks, custom loadouts, or perks ever again.  :halo:

So, once again, I invite you to discuss what you think is wrong with the game (Smart Scope).

Don't just assume when someone says something positive about halo 5 that its ecause they're stupid or because they aren't compassionate, I can't speak for others but I can tell you that I think far less of recent titles (reach, 4, 5) and even of the entire series then most people here do. For example I would consider armor customization a useless aspect of halo, the reason being that everyone is either red or blue, I would much rather we have a customizable scope than customizable armor but apparently I'm wrong and your right, because CE.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind armor customization if 343i didn't use Lore as an excuse to shoehorn useless tweaks.

Now I can't even enjoy having a "signature look" because all this other crap that was in Halo 4.

I agree with you Bluejay I just prefer if superficial aspects could stay superficial.

Other than aesthetics and the occasional tightening of spread, it is nothing even close to ADS.

It looks the same, controls the same, provides the same or greater advantages...it's a movement penalty and descope system away from being ripped directly from CoD.

Halo shouldn't be an "L-trigger in every fight" style of game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

It looks the same, controls the same, provides the same or greater advantages...it's a movement penalty and descope system away from being ripped directly from CoD.

Movement penalty?

tumblr_mc317ybUMw1qlmu8mo1_500.gif

Jokes Aside:

No movement penalty.

Does not provide the same advantages.

Doesn't look the same on a lot of weapons (Snipe, AR)

It isn't an L-Trigger every fight situation. For one thing, there is descope, and plus the zooming and aim assist behavior acts just as it did in other Halo's. You wouldn't zoom for a close range BR fight in Halo 2, and you don't do it in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only difference between ADS and Smart Scope is the lack of a movement penalty and descope. Other than that, I don't see how they aren't the same.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So instead of pressing L you would rather click right stick?

The only difference between ADS and Smart Scope is the lack of a movement penalty and descope. Other than that, I don't see how they aren't the same.

Smart Scope speed is close to instantaneous, hip fire is still accurate. Honestly if you didn't take the time to shoot at a wall you wouldn't even know the spread reduction was there compared to COD. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mw3_hud.jpg

Notice the crosshairs on the HUD. Ridiculous amounts of spread that increases the more the gun is fired. In addition, when ADS'ing in CoD, your screen won't zoom (very much) unless you are using a long range scope or attachment. Throw in the movement penalty, flinch, no descope, longer aiming time, and you are looking at a much different situation.

The argument here isn't how ADS and Smart Scope are similar, its the fact that CoD and Halo's hip fire are dramatically different. Since Halo already has very accurate unzoomed gameplay, the 'ADS' or Smart Scope change isn't as drastic. Majority of gunfights in Halo 5 still were unzoomed. Players who approached the game with that 'Hold L to Fight' style of gameplay quickly learned that they needed to hip fire like normal players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Smart Scope speed is close to instantaneous, hip fire is still accurate. Honestly if you didn't take the time to shoot at a wall you wouldn't even know the spread reduction was there compared to COD. 

I dunno, I used the quick draw handle all the time in Blops 2. That brought the sights up on my rifles a lot faster than it does in Halo 5.

Laser sight SMGs were pretty accurate, too.

that's like saying the only difference between sprint and strafe is that you can't shoot while sprinting, I mean you can't just overlook some of the most glaring issues of ADS and then say its the exact same thing, but obviously smartscope is basically the same as ADS.

One thing that was the EXACT same thing from COD was weapon skins, and it didn't matter, weapons skins were another level of customization which was a good thing for people who cared about their appearance , it mattered not where it came from.

Mw3_hud.jpg

Notice the crosshairs on the HUD. Ridiculous amounts of spread that increases the more the gun is fired. In addition, when ADS'ing in CoD, your screen won't zoom (very much) unless you are using a long range scope or attachment. Throw in the movement penalty, flinch, no descope, longer aiming time, and you are looking at a much different situation.

The argument here isn't how ADS and Smart Scope are similar, its the fact that CoD and Halo's hip fire are dramatically different. Since Halo already has very accurate unzoomed gameplay, the 'ADS' or Smart Scope change isn't as drastic. Majority of gunfights in Halo 5 still were unzoomed. Players who approached the game with that 'Hold L to Fight' style of gameplay quickly learned that they needed to hip fire like normal players.

CSGO has maintained its traditional no zoom gameplay from years past. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it is now the biggest FPS of all time, no? Highest viewership, most tournaments, highest pay outs, etc.

The zoom of past Halo's wasn't broken. Why do they want to change the whole system now? It baffles my mind that Halo peaked at popularity during Halo 3 and has gone downhill every game after. Why the hell are they further changing things? Wouldn't it be logical to go back to PROVEN gameplay?

If 343 just called this shit "aim down sights" instead of smart scope you wouldn't be arguing it.

We can sit here all day and argue opinions, which it seems like you want to do, but it's all bullshit. Fuck your opinion and fuck my opinion.

Fact: Halo peaked at Halo 3 and grew every year from Halo CE until Halo 3. Halo declined since Reach and reached an all time low at Halo 4.

Traditional zoom was proven to work. Traditional gameplay was proven to work. Now they want to change the fucking zoom system? After changing the movement system? Fuck that man.

Halo was 3 main things that made it stand out and reach popularity: movement(no sprint), zooming (no ads), and weapon control. 66% of Halo has been changed. IT WASNT BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE

It hurts my heart seeing CSGO reach such sucess with no sprint and no ADS while Halo is moving further and further away from that.

The zoom of past Halo's wasn't broken. Why do they want to change the whole system now? It baffles my mind that Halo peaked at popularity during Halo 3 and has gone downhill every game after. Why the hell are they further changing things? Wouldn't it be logical to go back to PROVEN gameplay?

I don't consider this a new system. I consider it a new cosmetic look to zooming with a few tweaks. If the BR had radical expanding spread with wide crosshairs, the Sniper no longer had a precise circle for No Scopes, etc., then I would be appalled because obviously that isn't Halo. A slightly obstructed view and some spread reduction on automatics is hardly a large change. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

We can sit here all day and argue opinions, which it seems like you want to do, but it's all bullshit. Fuck your opinion and fuck my opinion.

Nothing wrong with friendly discussion?

Fact: Halo peaked at Halo 3 and grew every year from Halo CE until Halo 3. Halo declined since Reach and reached an all time low at Halo 4.

I agree that Halo 1-3 were the best games of the franchise, but other factors were involved in Halo's decline. Gameplay being the major flaw but there was other stuff.

Traditional zoom was proven to work. Traditional gameplay was proven to work. Now they want to change the fucking zoom system? After changing the movement system? Fuck that man.

As I said, nothing is really being changed about the zoom system aside from aesthetics...