CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Am I reading this correctly? Pretty sure selling used games is how Gamestop makes almost all of their profit. Their whole business model is about buying games low and reselling them high. The devs don't see any of that money on the second go-round. That's why MS almost did that watermarked game crap prior to XB1's release, but everyone lost their mind and they changed it.

I can confirm, this is true. Gamestop's make very little money for each game sold new, but they bank on selling warranties, subscriptions, and used stuff with each transaction as well to actually turn a profit. This isn't selling games, but they pretty much lose money on selling systems, which is why when you buy one they usually suggest controllers, live, other accessories, warranties, and games to go with it.

At least this is true in Canada, I can't imagine it being different in the States.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they at least do something innovative and fun in the campaign mode--and I mean ACTUALLY innovative to FPS games, not "well it's new to Halo so derp" innovative--then I'll still buy the game. Probably pre-owned, but still get it. If it's another "Press X to win" game like Halo 4 then...

Well, let's just say that Microsoft better make sure Black Tusk is seriously doing justice to what will take over the "most popular franchise" crown on Xbox.

Am I reading this correctly? Pretty sure selling used games is how Gamestop makes almost all of their profit. Their whole business model is about buying games low and reselling them high. The devs don't see any of that money on the second go-round. That's why MS almost did that watermarked game crap prior to XB1's release, but everyone lost their mind and they changed it.

As in the publisher used to see zero percent profit from the sale of the used game. So Gamestop used to see the full profit. I just find it hard to believe after all these years publishers/Gamestop aren't in it together at this point

So myself and some of the other staff members were brainstorming some ideas for Halo 5 in game items (micro transactions) and I came up on with one that I want to see what other people think of it. People are either going to like it or absolute hate it so hear me out when I explain it.

So everyone already has talked about weapon skins and armor skins - and even possibly the logos or banners with logos of the teams on the map (similar to Dota 2 banners) so let's say you bought the EG pack for $2 and on the maps - there are certain spots that have EG's colors and logos or something similar.

So my idea: Team Plasma Grenade Pack

So let's say these were a real thing and you buy the Denial eSports team plasma grenade pack for $2. If you buy the pack and apply it to your plasma grenades - your plasma grenades would now be Orange instead of the usual purple. Upon hitting the ground or hitting someone, the grenade would do it's typical timed glow (so in this case from Orange to let's say a bright white light sort of glow). The explosion would be Orange, with Orange particles - and possibly even have the logo of the team be the burn the grenade leaves behind on the ground or surface after exploding. So let's say for a team like EG - the grenades would be greenish-blue in color, have a green/blue explosion & particles, then burn an EG logo into the ground after exploding.

Again - just an idea I came up with. The way I see it is it could work or be complete aids - but I want to hear from you guys what you think as a way of stepping outside of the typical armor, weapon, or map skins idea. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

So myself and some of the other staff members were brainstorming some ideas for Halo 5 in game items (micro transactions) and I came up on with one that I want to see what other people think of it. People are either going to like it or absolute hate it so hear me out when I explain it.

So everyone already has talked about weapon skins and armor skins - and even possibly the logos or banners with logos of the teams on the map (similar to Dota 2 banners) so let's say you bought the EG pack for $2 and on the maps - there are certain spots that have EG's colors and logos or something similar.

So let's say these were a real thing and you buy the Denial eSports team plasma grenade pack for $2. If you buy the pack and apply it to your plasma grenades - your plasma grenades would now be Orange instead of the usual purple. Upon hitting the ground or hitting someone, the grenade would do it's typical timed glow (so in this case from Orange to let's say a bright white light sort of glow). The explosion would be Orange, with Orange particles - and possibly even have the logo of the team be the burn the grenade leaves behind on the ground or surface after exploding. So let's say for a team like EG - the grenades would be greenish-blue in color, have a green/blue explosion & particles, then burn an EG logo into the ground after exploding.

Again - just an idea I came up with. The way I see it is it could work or be complete aids - but I want to hear from you guys what you think as a way of stepping outside of the typical armor, weapon, or map skins idea.

As long as some colours weren't blinding or anything that sounds fine.

Honestly, I think any cosmetic micro transactions would be fine as long as you can disable being able to see others. Kinda like how Forza allows you to disable custom paint jobs.

The biggest selling point for physical games opposed to digital these days is that I like to have a collection of game boxes, even though it is kind of a waste of space. Steelbook cases are nice too.

You actually save the environment too, apparently more efficient to go out and buy it than to download it,

I think things like explosions need to be readily noticeable. Each of Halo's grenades has always had a distinct color when firing.

It would be like if the PP shot blue bolts instead of green. If something can't be instantly recognized, it's a bad addition.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If they at least do something innovative and fun in the campaign mode--and I mean ACTUALLY innovative to FPS games, not "well it's new to Halo so derp" innovative--then I'll still buy the game. Probably pre-owned, but still get it. If it's another "Press X to win" game like Halo 4 then...

Well, let's just say that Microsoft better make sure Black Tusk is seriously doing justice to what will take over the "most popular franchise" crown on Xbox.

SP wise halo has almost never been innovative, frankly I would just like to have a SP that was good (like CE or reach) at the moment, they need to try and make the campaign fun again, H4 bored me to tears.

snip

I'd like to see each top team have a specific armor set, so it would essentially be their "jersey". The team's maybe could work with 343 to design the armor and if you're a fan of the team you would have the option of buying the "Evil Geniuses Pack" or whatever which the proceeds would go to the team itself and to future tournaments price pool. The pack could include the armor, the teams logo as an emblem, and some unique weapon skins that members of the team might use during tournaments. How sick would it be if each team was known for their specific armor sets like football teams are known for their jerseys? 

@@Sal1ent at launch of Halo 5 will there be a larger range of symbols used for the ranks?  Will the symbol for Gold 1 be different from Gold 2?

I'm not buying Halo 5 unless it comes out as an amazing game and my financial situation changes. I just don't have the money to buy an Xbox One for the campaign section of ONE game. Halo was the only game that could make me buy a console, but that's changed. It takes a game with an incredible multiplayer to do that, as multiplayer is the thing you play over and over and over again. I'll be able to play the campaign for free anyway because there are plenty of people I know who have Xbox Ones and buy every AAA game going.

I hope Infinity is right and that we do all end up buying Halo 5, because that would probably mean the game turned out better than it was originally going to be, and I want Halo to be good.

And I just saw that a video was posted from someone mocking people for being "scared of change". I'm not even going to bother watching that because I know it will piss me off to the extreme. There are a lot of idiots in this world.

• Upvote (+1) 2

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCKKKK. I accidentally negged you. So sorry. I actually really like the idea. Urghh I'm not gona be able to sleep tonight now.

@@Sal1ent at launch of Halo 5 will there be a larger range of symbols used for the ranks?  Will the symbol for Gold 1 be different from Gold 2?

Hopefully they are going to change them, Pro and Semi-Pro symbols also have a very vapid design.

IMO Halo 5 will have the biggest skill gap since CE, even if the game is stripped of most of its abilities for competitive play.

#meta

• Downvote (-1) 4

It's funny how 343 is so hell-bent on making their game as accessible as possible. Meanwhile on Twitch:

1. LoL

2. Bloodborne

3. CS:GO

4. Hearthstone

5. WoW

6. Dota 2

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's funny how 343 is so hell-bent on making their game as accessible as possible. Meanwhile on Twitch:

1. LoL

2. Bloodborne

3. CS:GO

4. Hearthstone

5. WoW

6. Dota 2

Are you saying that many of these games aren't accessible?
  • Upvote (+1) 1