Sign in to follow this  
Proximity

Unreal Tournament Discussion

you bet. people are speculating it will be multiplat and f2p. i can see character models and weapon skins being a huge cash cow for Epic if they take that route.

you bet. people are speculating it will be multiplat and f2p. i can see character models and weapon skins being a huge cash cow for Epic if they take that route.

Yeah epic has always been kind of on the edge when it came to F2P it seemed, as for multiplat that's likely, haven't seen any real gameplay yet but overall I'm semi-hyped :)

Fortnigt is most likely going to be F2P (judging by the questions they asked to get in the beta), just throwing that out there. Either way, a new UT is exciting. Hopefully it will stay true to the series and doesn't get the CoD treatment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

These cod kids don't know about that UT life.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Did this already happen? Did I miss it?

These cod kids don't know about that UT life.

the looks on their faces when they don't have weapon attachments or classes....

• Upvote (+1) 1

the looks on their faces when they don't have weapon attachments or classes....

"What do you mean I can't spawn with my favorite power weapon!?"

• Upvote (+1) 7

Did this already happen? Did I miss it?

Yay? Nay?

YES! UT fan for life, UT4 on UE4 would be so epic! Cant wait for new UT CTF/DM/onslaught/insta-gib oh man this is awesome!  :) #MMMONSTERKILL

• Upvote (+1) 2

Damn I really need a comp.  Used to lan UT in highschool a bunch.  Was one of the nerds that set it all up in the comp lab so we could play on our 45min lunches.

My birthday is coming up (I expect a gift from all of you btw). Maybe I should ask from some computer parts. If this is true, my PC needs to be ready.

Excellent news indeed, but let's not jump the gun yet.  Wait for more information to come out.  Considering no arena shooter for the past 5-6 years have been financially successful.  The new UT may even not be a true arena shooter and if it goes down the path of f2p, then it most likely won't support mods.  We don't want or need a new UT, if it's not going to be a real UT where both it's a full fledged arena shooter and gives us the engine to allow modders full ability to do whatever they want, then the new UT will not be worth it.  We need more information before we can say or claim it's the rebirth of the arena shooter and/or the rebirth of the UT franchise.

Quake Live, Painkiller, Shootmania, Nexiuiz etc.  All of them failed and the vast majority of the problems were either little to no marketing, or casual gamers quitting after either getting bored or tired of losing all the time by better players.  Arena shooters have gotten a bad rep for many years now by being "too" hard.

• Upvote (+1) 3

nope, the reveal's this thursday

Yeah I figured it out when I looked at the date of the tweet. Thanks for answering though.

Excellent news indeed, but let's not jump the gun yet.  Wait for more information to come out.  Considering no arena shooter for the past 5-6 years have been financially successful.  The new UT may even not be a true arena shooter and if it goes down the path of f2p, then it most likely won't support mods.  We don't want or need a new UT, if it's not going to be a real UT where both it's a full fledged arena shooter and gives us the engine to allow modders full ability to do whatever they want, then the new UT will not be worth it.  We need more information before we can say or claim it's the rebirth of the arena shooter and/or the rebirth of the UT franchise.

Quake Live, Painkiller, Shootmania, Nexiuiz etc.  All of them failed and the vast majority of the problems were either little to no marketing, or casual gamers quitting after either getting bored or tired of losing all the time by better players.  Arena shooters have gotten a bad rep for many years now by being "too" hard.

I mean, when a game comes out and it's called Unreal Tournament, it doesn't matter how good or bad the game is. It's still "a new Unreal Tournament game" lol. Also, nobody's getting that hyperbolic about it. I get your point, though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

For some reason I remember hearing about this a while back (not sure if this was just hinted at for the first time ever, in which case I'd be completely wrong) and they said it was PC only. Or maybe that was a new project Cliffy B. said he was working on and that was PC only. 

I really want H2A more than anything, but a new Arena Shooter for consoles would be fantastic. (I don't have a PC)

For some reason I remember hearing about this a while back (not sure if this was just hinted at for the first time ever, in which case I'd be completely wrong) and they said it was PC only. Or maybe that was a new project Cliffy B. said he was working on and that was PC only. 

I really want H2A more than anything, but a new Arena Shooter for consoles would be fantastic. (I don't have a PC)

Invest in a pc ;)

A new arena shooter is definitely needed. Halo is crap now because it kept chasing COD's tail. The dynamics of UT would prove to be too much on the console, its best thats its played on the PC.

Invest in a pc ;)

A new arena shooter is definitely needed. Halo is crap now because it kept chasing COD's tail. The dynamics of UT would prove to be too much on the console, its best thats its played on the PC.

Eh, I really don't game that much anymore. I mean, I do, but not anywhere to the extent I used to. I'm almost 24 now, have a full time job, girlfriend (which takes up a ton of time unfortunately). So, basically I just game for story games right now. Not going to spend 1k plus on a PC for something I may not even really enjoy.