Infinity

Halo 5 Menu U.I. - Fan Concept

I think the background should be a giant Earth, or a picture of Spartans & Elites fighting like in Reach. Would be much cooler.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Get it" in terms of competitive gaming, Menu's and HUD not so much.

Out of all the predictions/speculations you've made coach this is the one I'm most skeptical about, if H5/6 end up being competitive beasts I promise to worship you from that day on :P

To be fair though UI is an extremely insignifigant part of the overall package and I imagine given H4's lack of polish they didn't put it at the top of their lists, we'll just have to see where they go from here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Out of all the predictions/speculations you've made coach this is the one I'm most skeptical about, if H5/6 end up being competitive beasts I promise to worship you from that day on :P

To be fair though UI is an extremely insignifigant part of the overall package and I imagine given H4's lack of polish they didn't put it at the top of their lists, we'll just have to see where they go from here.

I'll keep that in mind  :ghost: People tend to forget that Halo4 didn't even have a "red X" at launch. One of the most basic thing in any halo game. When they finally put it into the game it was already 5+months post launch and they made it White. That is just one example off the top of my head. I have extremely high expectations for 343 and their next game that they make. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't hate it. Obviously it could use improvements, but 8v8 on Guardian? I don't want to see that even if it's just a design concept.

• Upvote (+1) 3

NeoGAF user Chettler has created a concept for the Halo 5 Menu UI. Check some of his pictures out here:

CydzEut.png?1

I could really care less about the appearance of the players...I would much rather the names and ranks be the most prominent features on the page. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll keep that in mind :ghost: People tend to forget that Halo4 didn't even have a "red X" at launch. One of the most basic thing in any halo game. When they finally put it into the game it was already 5+months post launch and they made it White. That is just one example off the top of my head. I have extremely high expectations for 343 and their next game that they make.

Yeah 343i made halo 4 go from being well... unplayable to being bearable, if they had created a better game from the start halo 4 could've ended up amazing, sadly it was too late and despite their best efforts it was already dead, if they can manage to make a halo game that is at least decent at launch I think we'll be good, hopefully with the recent hires and all the lessons they've learned throughout halo 4's lifespan H5 will be good, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Halo 4 UI? 

Excuse me?

uhhm no the one that is at the top of the page lol.. The one that this article is about.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I like the look, but not the white background. Forza 3 had a white UI, it blinded me every time I put the game in. Still better than Halo 4 though.

why didnt you like Halo 4s menu?  Personal Preference?  I actually really liked the change, except for the frame lag in places.

I really like these ideas, but the text for the online lobbies are too small and their text color isnt standing out enough.  Its overall a new and fresh Idea, clean but the text aint large enough throughout.

It would be nice if you could multi task matchmaking/theatre while searching for a game and when the game is found automatically go to the voting screen. It would be easy with a UI similar to this(using bumpers to navigate).

why didnt you like Halo 4s menu? Personal Preference? I actually really liked the change, except for the frame lag in places.

It was a huge step down compared to Halo: Reach's UI.

The biggest was having to turn your head justo see gamertags in the lobby.

They essentially made the active roster useless by hiding it and require you to press X to look at it.

I'll probably edit this later on when I'm home to list my biggest gripes with it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It was a huge step down compared to Halo: Reach's UI.

The biggest was having to turn your head justo see gamertags in the lobby.

They essentially made the active roster useless by hiding it and require you to press X to look at it.

I'll probably edit this later on when I'm home to list my biggest gripes with it.

Huh. Okay. I see where you stand, and although I really dont care about pressing X, it does get annoying to do often. I personally thought Reachs UI was great with the concept art and the new menu angles, but Halo 4s was simply a fresh way to see the UI, which I liked. But actually the one for a fan made Halo5 menu I like a lot more than Halo 4s. haha. Still...I like Halo 4s menu UI....it has its own sci fi feel to it, well, except for the menu music. Boy, most people hate it and I have to say..its irritating to listen to really quickly. 

why didnt you like Halo 4s menu?  Personal Preference?  I actually really liked the change, except for the frame lag in places.

So you liked it because of sake of change? Cmon. The Halo 4 UI is awful, there was no need to change the lobby system and UI in general.

Im getting pissed at games that dont have a simple lobby system like the old Halo's had. Its my standard that i expect in MP games.

I dont expect a pointless and confusing Pokemon Cards UI. Change for the sake of change, a thing i never understood with every new Halo. 

Halo 1-3 changes were okey for the most part it still felt and played like Halo and if you didnt like it you got a lot of various playlists that had this and that deactivated etc...

KD shouldn't be viewable in game. It makes players extremely selfish.

Somehow, if it weren't visible, I don't think it'd ever stop me from jet pack sniping in complete safety. And I think I can say the same for other K/D whores.

Somehow, if it weren't visible, I don't think it'd ever stop me from jet pack sniping in complete safety. And I think I can say the same for other K/D whores.

Real K/D whores use camo :P
  • Upvote (+1) 2

It's easy to get a good KD and there are other means to doing so without being that scumy haha. Just saying W/L should be more prevalent over K/D. Id rather have teammates that want to win than teammates that just sit back with a sniper and really don't aid the team.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So you liked it because of sake of change? Cmon. The Halo 4 UI is awful, there was no need to change the lobby system and UI in general.

Im getting pissed at games that dont have a simple lobby system like the old Halo's had. Its my standard that i expect in MP games.

I dont expect a pointless and confusing Pokemon Cards UI. Change for the sake of change, a thing i never understood with every new Halo. 

Halo 1-3 changes were okey for the most part it still felt and played like Halo and if you didnt like it you got a lot of various playlists that had this and that deactivated etc...

yeahh...well I like Change. Unlike MANY, MANY gamers, I dont like the same game every iteration. I liked the UI for Halo CE, liked the change for Halo 2 and how Bungie kept Halo 3 and Reach/ODST mostly similar to it, but I felt tired of looking at the same menu type every game. Why not make a new UI? No problem with that...

I liked the Pokemon style cards, but they didnt have the right information on them that defined each player. some of it was fine, but a lot might have been fixed.

If you want the same menu over and over and over again, then fine, but I think that is a way of saying you just want the same thing each iteration. Change, some change, is necessary to keep games fresh. Not all change is a good thing though. 

yeahh...well I like Change. Unlike MANY, MANY gamers, I dont like the same game every iteration. I liked the UI for Halo CE, liked the change for Halo 2 and how Bungie kept Halo 3 and Reach/ODST mostly similar to it, but I felt tired of looking at the same menu type every game. Why not make a new UI? No problem with that...

I liked the Pokemon style cards, but they didnt have the right information on them that defined each player. some of it was fine, but a lot might have been fixed.

If you want the same menu over and over and over again, then fine, but I think that is a way of saying you just want the same thing each iteration. Change, some change, is necessary to keep games fresh. Not all change is a good thing though. 

It it isn't broken, don't fix it. The Halo 4 UI changed for the sake of change. Reach's worked PERFECT. I don't get bored of a game because of its UI, I get bored of a game because of its gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why try to fix what's not broken?

Hm when i look at CoD, people like that it stays the same and plays the same. And the game has success with that. Halo on the other changed with every game. The changes from Ce to 2 to 3 felt natural it still played the same but it got worse after Halo 3. Halo 3 was the last good Halo to me.

Reach still had some Halo soul in it but the gameplay wasnt right to me.

Call of Duty adapted the Halo ui with CoD4 if i remember that correctly. And it never changed since then. Of course they improved it and added new stuff. The UI since Black Ops 1 is basicly a Copy of Reachs ui.

If the UI works and looks simple (like it did before), there is no need to change it into a complicated ugly mess that sometimes struggles to hold a constant framerate. I never experienced a game that drops framerate by simply browsing in the Menus lol.

And dont get me started on 4. Halo 4 was even worse and that game didnt have a soul. So many concepts got borrowed from the newest military shooters. And people dont want that. A game still can feel fresh when it still has the old gameplay that people felt in Love with. Add new cool stuff that wont fuck with the gameplay. Add weapons that dont make maps and gametypes unplayable etc etc.

Halo never needed this drastic changes in my Opinion. And now we stuck with a game that doesnt know what it wants to be.

I dont know about you but i'm seriosly worried about the Future of Halo after two awful games in a row.

Hm when i look at CoD, people like that it stays the same and plays the same. And the game has success with that. Halo on the other changed with every game. The changes from Ce to 2 to 3 felt natural it still played the same but it got worse after Halo 3. Halo 3 was the last good Halo to me.

Reach still had some Halo soul in it but the gameplay wasnt right to me.

Call of Duty adapted the Halo ui with CoD4 if i remember that correctly. And it never changed since then. Of course they improved it and added new stuff. The UI since Black Ops 1 is basicly a Copy of Reachs ui.

If the UI works and looks simple (like it did before), there is no need to change it into a complicated ugly mess that sometimes struggles to hold a constant framerate. I never experienced a game that drops framerate by simply browsing in the Menus lol.

And dont get me started on 4. Halo 4 was even worse and that game didnt have a soul. So many concepts got borrowed from the newest military shooters. And people dont want that. A game still can feel fresh when it still has the old gameplay that people felt in Love with. Add new cool stuff that wont fuck with the gameplay. Add weapons that dont make maps and gametypes unplayable etc etc.

Halo never needed this drastic changes in my Opinion. And now we stuck with a game that doesnt know what it wants to be.

I dont know about you but i'm seriosly worried about the Future of Halo after two awful games in a row.

I seriously disagree with several of your ideas, but that isnt for me to get overly mad about....Reach and H4 I dont consider "awful games". They had problems, but they were pretty fun to play nonetheless. I HATE how CoD never changes and offers something new with every iteration. It pisses me off. Thats why I dont play it anymore. That series needs to die fast.

I dont know if CoD 4's UI was inspired by Halo 3, but I liked the UI for it. Just I wouldnt even dare to compare the two different series. And if you think that Halo 4s UI is a complicated mess, then I am seriously worried about how you can possibly have a difficult time navigating it...it only has framerate problems when there is lag and sometimes when you go into the loadout lobby.

you are right though...the changes from CE to H2 to H3 felt natural..yes. And the heavier changes from Halo 3 to Halo Reach and Halo 4 werent necessarily good (SCREW flinch and no descope! HORRIBLE decisions). Same with their UIs and how they functioned. But I personally think its time to change how we see the Halo games UI to something of a crossover with older titles and something new...which Is why i really like this fan made set of menu pictures for Halo 5.

KD shouldn't be viewable in game. It makes players extremely selfish.

Agree'd, I would much prefer to only see a players win loss ratio on the player card, and have the K/D stats recorded on a website, like Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1