Virulent Venom

Why Do You Enjoy Competitive Shooters?

Come on... all of you... would you really hate losing to someone that is better than you? Or would you sit back in admiration and say Good Game?

It all depends on the person.  If they are crappy with a condesending attitute, it's annoying to lose to them.  On the other hand if they are humble and pleasent, I definitely will hold them in high regard.  This almost goes without saying though right?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Meh. Halo is the only shooter I like playing competitively. Honestly at this point, it's probably how much time I've played it and how much I enjoy it compared to other shooters. Same goes for other games. I have to genuinely enjoy them before I invest time to be better than someone if that makes sense. 

Also. I would've totally played yu-gi-oh competitively before synchro summons and XYZ summons. Not worth picking it up now since I'm at least 5 years behind. Same goes for pokemon but don't like tiered games really, and too many mechanics makes it too hard to use my favorite Pokemon.

Come on... all of you... would you really hate losing to someone that is better than you? Or would you sit back in admiration and say Good Game?

Both. Losing means something on my end could have been done better. It's a source of frustration at myself which I can channel into doing something about it like going over the films and identifying specific mistakes in order to keep them in mine and try to avoid them next time.

That doesn't mean that I would respect my opponent any less or not say GG if I had my mic in/wasn't in party chat.

Admiration? I guess if it was a super compelling game. GGs should just be given as the standard unless your opponent was a complete douche.

Well, I'm a fan of competitive arena shooters (Think UT Franchise, Doom, Original Halo series) and not much of the modern shooters like Call of Duty, Titanfall. I do like Counter Strike and watch it when I can, but I think the style of CS Franchise is so unique it's practically it's own genre of competitive shooter. I think there is a dichotomy between a competitive shooter and a shooter with competitive play, in the sense that not every competitive shooter has to have mechanics like spring or a CTF mode, but there has to be vitality to expand it's life rather it be a good scene that hosts tournaments, a ranked structure, and good net play. 

Over the past few years, I've drifted from competitive shooters and they are pretty much non-existent in the rotation of games I play now, that belonging to mostly adventure/action games on my console and probably just League of Legends (and to a lesser extent Hearthstone) for my competitive kicks. I just think the overall genre of shooters has some soul searching to do, with what they want to be in terms of direction and if they want to follow Call of Duty or not.

With Titanfall being a decent success, though maybe not as strong as people expected and the new Call of Duty looming, I don't think anyone knows what developers think about [serious] competition and the main demographic of the shooting genre. Especially now that it feels so watered down and spread out so that everyone can pick up and play, I don't think the driving force is let's make a good competitive shooter, as maybe it's let's make a game that will sale.

The whole thing just makes me not want to play shooters anymore, unfortunately. :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love competitive shooters, specifically Halo, because when I get discouraged it makes me want to play even more and get better. If there is no failure, the game gets repetitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because I wanted to be the very best...that no one ever was...

Then I heard about Ogre 2. :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it all started with Smash for me, rather than Halo -- that's just before it came out before Halo did -- you'll see the correlation when I'm done explaining.

Smash is that kind of game where, in a similar manner to Halo, can be REALLY fun at the most casual level because the game can be adjusted with factors that decide whether the match you're about to get into is serious or not. It's the ideal game for screwing around with friends but also to be super competitive at. When a lot of people can relate to a game like that, it makes the stories you have about it that much better and motivates you (at least it does for me) to be the best at it. Halo sparked that for me when I first started playing online and had a skill measurement that indirectly pitted me against everyone in the entire world at once.

Both are also different from the average competitive game in the sense that it is accessible for all, even at the lowest levels, have a simple enough general goal (kill people, etc.) but have so many different levels of execution and almost no ceiling or limit to how you can do things, despite being so simple at the core. It makes even the newbs stand in awe at how the top players roll and it's always a good feeling when you're one of the said top players, dominating the other top players and impressing all your friends (even though they don't understand all that goes into the game; it's nothing short of impressive nonetheless). Once you know the feeling, you want to go back to it, and strive to improve from there.

There's also the fact that despite being a video game, it's extremely tedious and difficult to play consistently at the very best of your abilities for an extended period of time. Calling out, staying focused to hit your best shot and keeping your hand-eye coordination on point for hours is ridiculously draining, and it's very easy to release the effort without meaning to and start losing games, or entire series in tournaments. That's not even talking about the actual in-game mind games and tactics that go into winning a single match, and hitting the most ridiculous shots of your life when it means losing or winning the game. It's a mental and physical challenge more than some people might realize, and it's definitely an amazing feeling when you excel at it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

i'm extremely competitive and i enjoy the thrill of competition. I also love practicing and watching films to get better....I live for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cuz its intense. But not cod. That shit is in tents............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................cuz they are camperz lel

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I enjoy competitive because it makes me better. Knowing that every time I leave the competitive playlist I'm just that much smarter about respawn times or forcing spawns is really cool to me. I actually enjoyed getting my ass kicked when I jumped into the competitive playlists in 3 and Reach because even though I was getting bitch slapped I knew and noticed I was slowly getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When it came to Halo, it was because I could out play 1-2 players and that would make me feel beast and good at the game as well as with the teamwork it took to win a match. A combination of the two I guess is what I enjoy out of a competitive fps. Being able to hold or be better than 1-2 players then using the teamwork with your team to win the desired objective, whether it be Slayer, CTF, Oddball or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Typically I've noticed that competitive or even just challenging games in general despite pissing you off at first (that skillgap :) ) will drive you to play over and over again whereas with more casual oriented type of games the moment you become bored or uninterested you just stop playing, so that's another reason why I like competitive games I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What sort of reward? Do you mean, rewarded by winning the match? And would it matter who you were beating? If there were no ranks, but you could win almost all of your matches, would you enjoy it?

When I say rewarded, I mean if I make a good play, I want to win that encounter without the game's mechanics getting in the way. A perfect example is when you're using a sniper rifle in Battlefield 4, and you start getting shot at. You turn, you aim down sights, and you put your crosshair on his brain and pull the trigger. Because the game uses suppression, your perfect reaction means nothing because suppression made your shot fly in a random direction. Basically, if I play perfectly, I want perfect results.

As for who I'm playing, yes, it would matter in the long term. Shadowrun was an amazing game, but it offered nothing outside of gameplay to keep you going. There was no progression rank and no skill rank. It was just anybody plays anybody, ready, go play. That's it. I need a goal to play for. Progression and unlocks are fun, but the real meaty one that gets people to CARE about the game is visible skill ranks. That's what makes people try. That's what makes kids daydream during geometry class about new strats. You don't get that in Call of Duty or Battlefield because nothing is ever at stake, and it just throws you into any old game with any old players, and nothing ever feels like it MATTERS.

You need both good gameplay and good incentive to keep playing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be honest I mostly just enjoy competitive Halo when it comes to shooters. Just cause I prefer console games and there's no other good shooters for the consoles. I think CoD is boring as hell and Titanfall looks even more casual than CoD.

Counter Strike is a great game, but I'm not much of a PC gamer. Same with Quake and Unreal, but again, I don't really game on the PC.

But too answer the question, I'm a competitive person. If I can find something I like and make it competitive than I'm down. Sports, board games, video games. But the thing is it can't just be any game. If it's not balanced and the game is mostly random then I'm not really into it. Ex. I really like Risk, there's legit strategy to the game. Yeah there's probability, but you can do something about it to put it more into your favour. A game snakes and ladders is all, but pure luck, there's nothing you can do about the out come.

It also needs to challenging. If your options are limited and they're easy to do the game or whatever it is your doing will get dull pretty fast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me it's outskilling/playing people mentally. That's why games of skill have always been my favorite. I played sports but quit in about 10th grade. Halo then became my sport (it was well on it's way before that) and as I got better I wanted to win. Unfortunately I never had the funds to go to but like 2 events and one i didn't have a team and the other my team fell apart mid series (still think I played the best of the 4 of us minus the first event jitters I guess). Besides that I only went to a couple of locals and got stomped cause I went with friends. Playing with friends was fun but I think it ultimately held me back.

But that's why I love games like Halo, cod (4/blops), Yu-gi-oh, Magic, etc. Just another place where skill and smarts are in, I think, equal measure. You don't win or lose because you're stronger or faster than the other person you out think them which is the most rewarding imo.

Those great games where teams are really close are always the best win or lose really. I hate when things are stacked like meta in card games that's why I like draft settings in card games (sealed packs) you get what you get and have to do what you have to to win.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cuz its intense. But not cod. That shit is in tents............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................cuz they are camperz lel

But even that feeling of being in a 1v1 in snd and winnning is soooooo rewarding.

I play competitively in order to experience those awesome moments. Going on a lift and pulling off a ridiculous noscope on some guy on another lift. Playing against the best player in the world and having a thirty second strafing battle with instakill weapons. Going 49-49 against the same guy, losing at the tensest moment, and seeing him *compliment your playstyle after the game.

I care about ranks, but not in the way you might think. The reason they matter so much in random lobbies is not because you can brag and feel proud of your virtual achievements. It's so everyone plays their hardest to win or catch second. Some people do that naturally, others need a little incentive.

And when you know everyone is playing their hardest, that the game is fair and competitive, those awesome moments become even more special.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For the rush of a clutch play (Last minute flag cap, getting a multikill that closes out a win, 1v4 SnD clutch, etc)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty much this ^ the adrenaline rush you get from slapping someone, making a big play anything and the fact you are doing it so you can win something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm a competitive person. I play to win. I like winning. Winning is fun. Losing is no fun.

Same ^

It definitely makes me sad reading all these wonderful posts on their love of competitive gaming because I know a lot of you haven't had a competitive game to love in a while. I always suggest people get a number of various older under-appreciated shooters, but all I can think of in reading some of these responses is Shadowrun. I keep saying it but maybe some of you that had posted may be convinced to get it. This game is still alive with public matches and competitive 4v4's. I'm about to play in a 2v2 tournament next month. I consider myself to be pretty good at the game, yet I still don't have a chance to beat some of the other teams in this tournament.

The skill gap is huge, the learning curve is steep, but if you haven't tried it, you're missing out on one of the best competitive shooting experiences out there. Theres so many small "glitches" in the game that add to the depth of the meta, and I guarantee you that if you picked up the game today, two years from now you'll still be learning new things, and improving skill wise. You guys want to out-play someone? This game gives you all the tools needed to be able to out-play multiple people at once. There are a handful of people out there that are single handedly able to make that type of impact.

I'd just write way too big of a post if I tried to explain the awesomeness of Shadowrun.. Those who are interested in progression systems or ranks, sorry. This one isn't for you. However, if you miss the ability to dominate and destroy players in a game that's difficult, rewarding, and arguably the most consistent and competitive shooter on the 360 and can play on that drive alone, please go spend the best $5 of your life.

• Upvote (+1) 1

real talk, that new team slayer playlist on halo 4 gives me those sweaty tryhard games once you get up in the 30s. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like competitive games because I often find noncompetitive games to be shallow, boring, empty experiences. What I strive for are those moments I feel like I have out gunned, out smarted, out done my opponents in some way. Or the moments I impress myself. I get zero satisfaction from getting a 4 shot with a weapon I feel has too much aim assist, I get zero satisfaction from getting a multikill with a rocket launcher that I feel has too large a blast radius and too fast a projectile speed, a rocket launcher that was delivered directly to my feet, that the enemy had no idea that I had. 

My most satisfying kill in Halo 4 was during a game on Simplex. I challenged a player to a BR dual, he backed down after the 3rd shot, throwing plasma grenade on the ground as he did so to stop me from chasing. Instead of chasing I threw my own plasma grenade, not at him but towards the other plasma grenade such that it deflected and Instasploded around a corner, killing the guy. The great thing was that it was deliberate and it was the first time despite playing Halo since CE I have ever killed someone like that. Using someone else's grenade to my advantage. Those are the moments I look for. The problem is satisfying kills/ wins are becoming fewer and far between. I want to take on 2 players at the same time and win, I want maps with interesting non linear flow that can be used to flank people in ways they did not expect. I want to win matches because I organised with my team mates to counter a game strategy the enemy team is using against us...

On top of that, striving to get better, draws me back again and again. I don't mind losing if it is a lesson. I like ranks because it helps me visualize my progress. Getting a 50 is something to aim for. Participation ranks are worthless to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1