CyReN

E3 Discussion

Now that all the conferences are over

Microsoft - It was all about games but there were no big surprises. I am excited about Sea of Thieves but it's hard to care too much about it when it's releasing in 2018.

Bethesda - lol

Sony - The format was very similar to Microsoft's so it was all about games. I'm more of a multiplayer fan so many of Sony's games don't interest me much though Spider-Man looks great but there were too many QTE's and scripted scenes in the demo.

EA - It was an okay showing that was saved by Star Wars: Battlefront II. I enjoyed the entire match they showed from beginning to end. Anthem is well worth keeping an eye on for more details.

Nintendo - Metroid Prime 4 is a nice surprise and Mario Odysee looks like a blast to play though I'll likely never buy a Switch so it's hard for me to be interested in whatever they show.

Ubisoft (Winner!) - They, by far, had the best showing. Skull & Bones looks fantastic. Assassin's Creed: Origins is a step in the right direction and Far Cry 5 looks promising. Then they ended it with a Beyond Good & Evil 2 premier. Rock solid press conference!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Now that all the conferences are over

Microsoft - It was all about games but there were no big surprises. I am excited about Sea of Thieves but it's hard to care too much about it when it's releasing in 2018.

Bethesda - lol

Sony - The format was very similar to Microsoft's so it was all about games. I'm more of a multiplayer fan so many of Sony's games don't interest me much though Spider-Man looks great but there were too many QTE's and scripted scenes in the demo.

EA - It was an okay showing that was saved by Star Wars: Battlefront II. I enjoyed the entire match they showed from beginning to end. Anthem is well worth keeping an eye on for more details.

Nintendo - Metroid Prime 4 is a nice surprise and Mario Odysee looks like a blast to play though I'll likely never buy a Switch so it's hard for me to be interested in whatever they show.

Ubisoft (Winner!) - They, by far, had the best showing. Skull & Bones looks fantastic. Assassin's Creed: Origins is a step in the right direction and Far Cry 5 looks promising. Then they ended it with a Beyond Good & Evil 2 premier. Rock solid press conference!

I feel that Microsoft won, every conference except Microsoft either had terrible issues or maximum cringe, only thing from Sony that was really good was spodormon. battlefront 2 looks great, beyond good and evil 2 looks great as well but 

Original Xbox backwards compatibility in 4k was a HUGE surprise, it was the best announcement at E3 this year because that was the one thing i wanted most, now people can play all of the amazing original Xbox games that haven't been played for a very long time, and they showed 42 games

EA - Typical EA meh.  BF2 is what the last one should have been.

Ubisoft - Pretty good. Mario x Rabbids seems interesting and Far Cry 5 looks nice.

Bethesda - Good except for this paid mods shit. Excited for Wolfenstein.

MS - Good but no Halo/Gears and basically nothing that's only going to be on the XB1. Still have no reason to turn on my Xbox one right now. Also the Scorpio name is meh. OG Xbox backwards compat is cool but not sure I'll use it. H2 was mainly all I ever needed back then so I don't have many discs.

Sony- Basically MS but better, hoping the new Monster Hunter is handled okay by western devs. Several things didn't get shown I expected to see though and too much VR.

Nintendo - Pretty good but the showcase should have been longer. Glad to see Metroid and Mario looks good. Really hoping FE Warriors has more characters though.

Also I'm pissed that the Age of Empires remake is on the Windows store and probably Win10 only. MS needs to stop holding games hostage behind Windows 10.

So I got to talk to both id studio heads, the bald guy in the video in the quake champions thread here I had about a 5 minute discussion with and he seemed pretty stuck in his ways about the classes and other nonsense. I tried explaining my reasoning but he just kept smiling at me and saying "just try it".

Which I did, and I wrecked the devs lol.

Went over to the Bethesda VR booth and while my co-worker was in there doing doom vr I struck up a conversation with Marty Stratton (other studio head over the Doom projects at id). That conversation actually turned into 20 minutes or so and I could tell he actually liked what I had to say because he pulled me aside and we talked in a private room away from everyone. He asked why I didn't like Doom's mp, what I thought about the level design, and I explained my whole background blah blah end of story he actually asked me for my name and number which was really cool. He's seriously the most down to earth guy ever.

Cod ww2 I think will be the best cod to ever come out. The game is really good and has great maps to back it up.

Made a looooot of connections yesterday.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I quite enjoyed Microsoft's conference. They won, in my opinion. Anthem, Metro Exodus, and a few others look good. Except for Xbox Backwards compatibility for OG Xbox, nothing absolutely huge stood out. 

EA - meh. Battlefront II was the only good part. Andrew Wilson doesn't recognize when they show nearly the same games every year.

Bethesday - decent, but still lackluster. Todd Howard really needs to stop rereleasing Skyrim. Wolfenstein looks pretty good. The CG trailer for Evil Within was nice. Won't play that though.

Sony - the worse of them all. Just a repeat of last year's PSX, but with no Last of Us Part II. Uncharted TLL looks pretty decent. I'm particularly excited for Horizon Zero Dawn's story DLC.

Ubisoft - Wow. Didn't expect them to be that good. Pretty darn good conference. I want more AC Origins...might buy this one.

I quite enjoyed Microsoft's conference. They won, in my opinion. Anthem, Metro Exodus, and a few others look good. Except for Xbox Backwards compatibility for OG Xbox, nothing absolutely huge stood out. 

EA - meh. Battlefront II was the only good part. Andrew Wilson doesn't recognize when they show nearly the same games every year.

Bethesday - decent, but still lackluster. Todd Howard really needs to stop rereleasing Skyrim. Wolfenstein looks pretty good. The CG trailer for Evil Within was nice. Won't play that though.

Sony - the worse of them all. Just a repeat of last year's PSX, but with no Last of Us Part II. Uncharted TLL looks pretty decent. I'm particularly excited for Horizon Zero Dawn's story DLC.

Ubisoft - Wow. Didn't expect them to be that good. Pretty darn good conference. I want more AC Origins...might buy this one.

MS and Sony were basically the same I thought. The only problem with Sony is they didn't show several things people expected, like a new DMC or the FF7 Remake.

MS and Sony were basically the same I thought. The only problem with Sony is they didn't show several things people expected, like a new DMC or the FF7 Remake.

Or The Last of Us Part II.

The last time we had a release of anything related to Perfect Dark, it was the 2010 HD XBLA remaster (it's not a remake - there's a difference) of the original N64 game. Perfect Dark Zero was released on November 2005, but we haven't had a new PD game in almost 13 years. The GBC game was obscure, so I highly doubt people will remember it. It's a shame that the only good game in the series is the N64 game, which came out almost 18 years ago. The only things that held it back were the framerate and the N64 controller. You can play the remaster, and it removes these issues, but 4J studios made the animations too snappy to truly have the game run at 60fps. I should also note that while it's nice to have dual analog sticks for moving and aiming, I miss the easily-achieved speed boost of holding two buttons at a diagonal angle. The remaster also has audio problems, mainly concerning the soundtrack. Listen to the N64 version of Maian Tears, then listen to the one in the XBLA remaster. I don't want to delve in too much about the problems I had with the XBLA remaster, since that's not the reason why I started this discussion.

The main idea that came to my mind, regarding the rumors of Coalition "working" on a new Perfect Dark game (devs of Gears of War), was that Coalition's game design doesn't fit Perfect Dark's First-Person perspective, objective-based gameplay (these rumors popped up a few months ago, I've only discovered them recently). Almost two weeks ago, Rate Ltd. sent out a tweet on Twitter with a pair of Perfect Dark-themed shorts for the summer, and there are articles speculating that we might get some news on the series during E3. I'm not getting my hopes up, but if we do get some news, I hope the rumors of Coalition being involved are false. I have nothing against them, but they gravitate towards making Third-Person Shooters with a cover-based gameplay style. The last time Perfect Dark did cover-based mechanics, it flopped miserably.

Another reason I made this thread is because Perfect Dark doesn't get much attention, aside from @@FarSight XR~20 and yours truly. Halo could learn a lot from Perfect Dark, when it comes to difficulty, content, modes, etc. 343i should also take notes because they obviously aren't listening to us, anytime soon.

So, what do you guys think? Does anyone think they might be teasing on a new Perfect Dark game, or are they pulling our strings?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I should also note that while it's nice to have dual analog sticks for moving and aiming, I miss the easily-achieved speed boost of holding two buttons at a diagonal angle.

Straferunning works on XBLA with Legacy controls. Though the quick select menu and sniper zoom are broken on that scheme, so...yeah.

Anyhow, the main source for the existence of a new Perfect Dark game comes from a guy who found a bunch of keywords in an internal Microsoft database. He originally referred to "Ms. Dark", but later clarified that he was extrapolating from only the word "Dark". This could also refer to a short story called "Dark Tide" that Microsoft holds the rights for, as the keywords don't explicitly refer to "Dark" as a shooter. It does have some relation to Gears of War developer The Coalition, but it could be a very distant one:

https://sanvada.com/2018/01/06/xbox-api-leak-suggest-microsoft-working-slew-games/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-partners-current-and-future-landscape.1061/page-76#post-2989546

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-partners-current-and-future-landscape.1061/page-178#post-4655343

If it is Perfect Dark, Microsoft will find a way to screw it up. Change Joanna / the art style / the music again, maybe make it a third-person stealth game ala Splinter Cell, or gritty like Gears of War. This is their way.

Actually, at this point I think they've been messing stuff up on purpose as a carrot-on-stick / chasing the dragon tactic to make people keep paying in. This can apply to new Windows / Xbox versions as well - fix one thing, but remove a feature at the same time.

Straferunning works on XBLA with Legacy controls. Though the quick select menu and sniper zoom are broken on that scheme, so...yeah.

Anyhow, the main source for the existence of a new Perfect Dark game comes from a guy who found a bunch of keywords in an internal Microsoft database. He originally referred to "Ms. Dark", but later clarified that he was extrapolating from only the word "Dark". This could also refer to a short story called "Dark Tide" that Microsoft holds the rights for, as the keywords don't explicitly refer to "Dark" as a shooter. It does have some relation to Gears of War developer The Coalition, but it could be a very distant one:

https://sanvada.com/2018/01/06/xbox-api-leak-suggest-microsoft-working-slew-games/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-partners-current-and-future-landscape.1061/page-76#post-2989546

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-partners-current-and-future-landscape.1061/page-178#post-4655343

If it is Perfect Dark, Microsoft will find a way to screw it up. Change Joanna / the art style / the music again, maybe make it a third-person stealth game ala Splinter Cell, or gritty like Gears of War. This is their way.

Actually, at this point I think they've been messing stuff up on purpose as a carrot-on-stick / chasing the dragon tactic to make people keep paying in. This can apply to new Windows / Xbox versions as well - fix one thing, but remove a feature at the same time.

I tried using Legacy Controls once, but never bothered to get accustomed to them.

Thanks for providing the links, and while Microsoft's soulless player base support, pigheaded business practices, lack of attention towards the IPs that they own, and corporate greed appalls me, we still have the power to speak up about this. Let the people who are actually developing the game make the decisions, and listen to fans and consumers.

As for Perfect Dark. I would love to see something happen to the series, but I'm still skeptical about how it will turn out.  

Some interesting things in this video.

Interesting information, but not something that we don't already know. I would like a Perfect Dark sequel, but I don't want excessive amounts of edge and seriousness because it seemed like Perfect Dark: Core was going for that direction. Perfect Dark never took itself too seriously, and people don't remember the game being edgy. What made Perfect Dark stand out was how dynamic, varied, and fun it was.

we still have the power to speak up about this. Let the people who are actually developing the game make the decisions, and listen to fans and consumers.

:laughing:

This has been Microsoft's attitude since forever:

:laughing:

This has been Microsoft's attitude since forever:

It's all the reason why people have called them out on it. Even if it is their attitude, they can't deny consumer and fan demands, because even Microsoft knows that the relationship between the customer and the company is a finite resource. Microsoft did remove most, if not all, of the restrictions on the Xbox One when it was first announced in 2013.

Microsoft did remove most, if not all, of the restrictions on the Xbox One when it was first announced in 2013.

That's because everybody was watching when the Xbone got announced. It's easier to get away with that crap with individual games, especially if they're not AAA blockbusters.

Will Microsoft fuck up a new Perfect Dark game? Probably.

Will I still be stupidly fucking excited about a new Perfect Dark game? More than I can possibly express.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's because everybody was watching when the Xbone got announced. It's easier to get away with that crap with individual games, especially if they're not AAA blockbusters.

Yes, that's true. However, most of that negative response were from people who were planning on buying the system before the announcement. I'm not trying to paint Microsoft in a good light, but Microsoft doesn't have complete control over the games they publish. I don't think Microsoft cares about what the fans want as long as they aren't the ones developing/porting the games, and you can't blame Microsoft for the way Perfect Dark XBLA turned out. 4J Studios are the ones who made the decision to redesign everything, altering the music, etc.

Then again, the fact that Microsoft doesn't care is the reason why Microsoft is a very loathed company in the gaming industry, and maybe I'm just looking into too much from just one rumor and a tweet on Twitter, but damn if I'm not desperate for something like Perfect Dark.

Will Microsoft fuck up a new Perfect Dark game? Probably.

Will I still be stupidly fucking excited about a new Perfect Dark game? More than I can possibly express.

Again, I'm a bit skeptical about this. It's only just the rumor that it being developed, right now, but there has to be a reason why one of the members at Rare made that tweet - it could be hinting at something.

If a new PD game does get announced, I hope it's from an FPS studio who knows what an FPS is supposed, and respects the original Perfect Dark, and I'm not an TPS company whose games are solely centered around cover-based gameplay.

you can't blame Microsoft for the way Perfect Dark XBLA turned out. 4J Studios are the ones who made the decision to redesign everything, altering the music, etc.

MS selected 4J to develop, approved the changes, and were the ones who decided to only release one half-assed patch.

Also, 343 Industries basically IS Microsoft (just listen to the way their executives speak), and BOY have THEY made some fantastic decisions, eh?

MS selected 4J to develop, approved the changes, and were the ones who decided to only release one half-assed patch.

Also, 343 Industries basically IS Microsoft (just listen to the way their executives speak), and BOY have THEY made some fantastic decisions, eh?

While Microsoft did make all of these decisions. And while the XBLA port of PD has audible issues, geometry issues, a slightly gimped MP experience, and a redesign art style that doesn't look as aesthetically good as the N64 version, I still like the improvements in the framerate (it's a lot more consistent, let's just leave it at that), dual-analog control, achievements, crowns, and the Xbox Live capabilities - such as leaderboards and online gameplay (albeit buggy, because the game wasn't designed with that concept in mind). Of course, I'd still rather play the N64 version, because I tend to play games on the hardware they were originally designed for.

Isn't 343i a division of Microsoft?

Isn't 343i a division of Microsoft?

Rare is owned outright by Microsoft, but they have their own vibe.

343, on the other hand, walks and talks like Microsoft proper. When I say they basically are MS, I mean it.

If this is a thing I’ll gst really excited, then probably let down. (: