CyReN

E3 Discussion

Rocket League's matchmaking is cross-platform between PC(Both Steam & Win10 store, I believe Win10 isn't necessary) and XBONE. It's all in the hands of the devs.

I thought it wasn't possible to create a lobby with different platform players and start matchmaking in Rocket League...

The fact that it's free already means it wasn't doing that great of job does it not? They wouldn't make an exclusive free already if it was selling well. And I don't hear anyone talking about it either.

The fact is just because in or whoever gave scores higher doesn't mean they had better games. They both had shallow libraries.

I'm a fighting game fan. And killer instinct is okay. Sony dominates msft when it comes to fighting games. They pretty much have all fighting games. Doa, tekken 7 and ki are the only.fighting games on the xbox one

Halo's dead. It'll never be the same. All my friends who I used to play Halo with has pretty much give up on Halo. Except maybe 2 people. But that's because they still have this dream of becoming mlg pros lol

Not gona lie tho. I saw some clips of the campaign and it looks pretty decent. But honestly id rather just replay Halo:CE

I haven't boughten a single exclusive for the xbox one. MCC came with the bundle

I don't care if it's free, what kind of negative is that?? It got solid reviews, and is super fun.

What the fuck? "It's free so it's shit".

I'm not gonna debate anymore after "halo is dead". Let me know of an exclusive on xbox which sold as much.

The good ones will, Crackdown is all i need.

the good games?

highly doubt it... no telling what the development issues are like for doing a pc/console compatible game... especially cross plat mp.

I don't care if it's free, what kind of negative is that?? It got solid reviews, and is super fun.

What the fuck? "It's free so it's shit".

I'm not gonna debate anymore after "halo is dead". Let me know of an exclusive on xbox which sold as much.

I never said it was a bad thing. Remember when I said it's free with Gold so that's good?

You still used ryse as an example. Which would be like using 1886 as example

I haven't really been following Ps4 exclusives to be honest. So bloodborne and second son would be the only exclusives I'd own(probably killzone too) if I bought a Ps4 asap up until sf5 came out. Even then Im waiting to buy sf5. My friend bought it on steam and he shares with me so I've been playing it that way

Halo's dead. I could care less about sale numbers. Reach and halo 4 sell well too. Still shitty halo games

really curious, all you people saying you're gonna switch to pc and consoles are worthless... what else do you do on your console besides game? is your pc in your living room?

I know everyone has their own preferences but personally, i still see the need for consoles.

at least for my console, i use netflix, rent movies, play bluray discs, dvd discs, watch hbo go content, amazon prime movies, and then games, both digital and disc.

I dont have a smart tv, and frankly, even if i did, id still use the xbox to access netflix, etc. smart tvs dont have disc trays.

On the pc side of things, i use that for gaming, internet, computer needs like word, excel, Adobe creative suite, email, etc. rarely ever play movies on my pc.

Just surprises me how easy people say they will just go 100% pc... it's not like every xbox game coming out in the future is going to be play anywhere, the developer has to want to do that.

Well for me personally I just have a custom built desk that I made a few years ago that houses my monitors, PC, up to 5 consoles or doubles as a book case, a cup holder... etc. Its also positioned in a way that I can go lay down and watch a movie or w/e so it does everything. The whole concept of a living room TV that I game on is totally dead to me basically lol. I remember being younger and everything being sort of split up and around the house but I don't think I could ever swap back to that as far as my own personal entertainment goes but I can understand how people would prefer to sit back in the living room to watch movies or play games and keep the office space more for work in a side room or bedroom. That whole setup that I have is partially the reason I'm so neutral to all types of gaming and instead pick and choose exclusives if I have to but prefer to play most games on my Desktop. When they're all right next to each other on the same screens and the only real difference is a massive performance boost via my desktop its not a hard decision. Especially when you factor in all of the other things I can do with my desktop as I game. I honestly don't really spend any time in my living room unless its with other people now that I think about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well for me personally I just have a custom built desk that I made a few years ago that houses my monitors, PC, up to 5 consoles or doubles as a book case, a cup holder... etc. Its also positioned in a way that I can go lay down and watch a movie or w/e so it does everything. The whole concept of a living room TV that I game on is totally dead to me basically lol. I remember being younger and everything being sort of split up and around the house but I don't think I could ever swap back to that as far as my own personal entertainment goes but I can understand how people would prefer to sit back in the living room to watch movies or play games and keep the office space more for work in a side room or bedroom. That whole setup that I have is partially the reason I'm so neutral to all types of gaming and instead pick and choose exclusives if I have to but prefer to play most games on my Desktop. When they're all right next to each other on the same screens and the only real difference is a massive performance boost via my desktop its not a hard decision. Especially when you factor in all of the other things I can do with my desktop as I game. I honestly don't really spend any time in my living room unless its with other people now that I think about it.

nice. im. gonna say you're a special case... lol.

Well the desk is a bit of overkill but the concept of people having larger desks that they use as a general entertainment center is pretty common now or at least a lot more common than it was before. I think it has a lot to do with people having more use/contact with desktops and such for entertainment than they did in previous generations. Its pretty easy to setup too if you feel like making your own its not like you'd need to actually know how to build the entire desk in most cases 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If paying full price up front for smart phones was the only option that industry would look radically different.

So you're saying that some games will be scorpio exclusive and some will just be up scaled xb1 games? How is that pro consumer? If I'm an xb1 owner I'm now going to be missing out on those exclusive scorpio games and the games I do get will not be fully optimised for xb1 (dev time split between scorpio and xb1). If I'm a scorpio user I just bought a new console to play only a tiny handful of games built specifically for that machine and some up scaled versions of xb1 games?

Seems like a lose lose. And for what? Backwards compatibility?

I really fail to see the logic in your problem with this. Say they both do what you want, a new generation of hardware that is completely different from the previous one, devs would be forced to develop games for the new one and the players would still have to make the choice to upgrade or not. A 360 owner missed out on all the X1 games by not buying the X1? No? Have you not gone through different console generations other than the Xbox 360/PS3 to X1/PS4? 

Literally every single aspect of the new Scorpio and Neo is preferable and objectively better than the old way. Every single concern I've heard from you makes no sense other than if there are never new consoles, ever. It's time for new consoles anyway, they are old as shit and run like shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another thing about Scorpio and Xbox One is that its being released in a similar time frame that the transition from Xbox to 360 occurred but only in half the time of 360 to Xbox One. The performance leap is probably going to be similar to the one we saw going from 360 to Xbox One or at least it potentially could be depending on where they go with the processor or it could only be a half step if they decide not to beef that up to the extent they did the GPU. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10418/microsoft-teases-project-scorpio-for-2017-8-cores-6-teraflops-backwards-compatible-with-xbox-zen-or-jaguar

That has a nice little table to compare with. It also might be worth pointing out that when the 360 and PS3 launched they were comparatively much more powerful when judged against PC than XB1 and PS4 were. Scorpio and Neo are getting back on track with that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watch to get a better grasp at what they are doing now. If you still don't see the obvious benefits idk what to tell you. 

Around the 11 min mark he starts to talk about MS and their new system. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I never said it was a bad thing. Remember when I said it's free with Gold so that's good?

You still used ryse as an example. Which would be like using 1886 as example

I haven't really been following Ps4 exclusives to be honest. So bloodborne and second son would be the only exclusives I'd own(probably killzone too) if I bought a Ps4 asap up until sf5 came out. Even then Im waiting to buy sf5. My friend bought it on steam and he shares with me so I've been playing it that way

Halo's dead. I could care less about sale numbers. Reach and halo 4 sell well too. Still shitty halo games

Halo is dead, sold 5 million with a 25% attach rate, it's dead guys! I don't think there's a single Sony exclusive which sells like that.

Also I'm just saying about Ryse, if you compare the respective games, xbox exclusives did better. Sunset to infamous, forza to drive club, Ryse to order (in terms of critics success).

If paying full price up front for smart phones was the only option that industry would look radically different.

So you're saying that some games will be scorpio exclusive and some will just be up scaled xb1 games? How is that pro consumer? If I'm an xb1 owner I'm now going to be missing out on those exclusive scorpio games and the games I do get will not be fully optimised for xb1 (dev time split between scorpio and xb1). If I'm a scorpio user I just bought a new console to play only a tiny handful of games built specifically for that machine and some up scaled versions of xb1 games?

Seems like a lose lose. And for what? Backwards compatibility?

You're really pulling out the mental gymnastics to justify a system that has been speeding towards obsolescence ever since personal computers of comparable and greater power became extremely affordable for consumers and steam revolutionized the distribution of games. You're worried about getting poorly optimized XB1 games? Oh, you mean like what we get now, because the system is under-powered? Or do you mean like we got for a good deal of the 360's lifespan, as I already mentioned? How exactly do you think that providing people with the OPTION to play it on superior PC and superior console hardware introduces this problem, when the real issue is outdated consoles? "Up-scaled" sure is a quaint word to describe potentially much better performance, higher resolutions, better post-processing, better textures, etc. They could very easily establish preset settings specific to each SKU and, to be frank, the bulk of the significant optimization on all of the consoles will be the same, because the CORE ARCHITECTURE is the same. You don't find that "up-scaling" valuable? OK. Then play the shittier, ancient console version as per usual and nothing has changed.

Do you also think that first party developers being stuck catering solely to outdated hardware is a good thing? Say what you will about the quality of H4 as a game, but it's very clear that it was a few steps short of making the 360 explode, because the system was 7 years old at the time. With the outdated console model you are defending, there is no option for console players to get a better experience and PC players have to buy a separate system in order to play exclusives that were blatantly pared down to achieved barely acceptable performance. Outside of a port to a future system, that's what you're stuck with. Meanwhile, with the new model, existing owners can still play their 720p 24fps late-generation ports and all of those additional options exist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo is dead, sold 5 million with a 25% attach rate, it's dead guys! I don't think there's a single Sony exclusive which sells like that.

Also I'm just saying about Ryse, if you compare the respective games, xbox exclusives did better. Sunset to infamous, forza to drive club, Ryse to order (in terms of critics success).

Again. I cold care less about the sales numbers. The game play is dead. Murder miners has a lower population. I'd rather play that than halo 5. Halo is going in th wrong director. Halo is dead. Sales isn't gonna help it's mediocre game play and large maps

I don't think you realize that I care about depth/replay value and quality/value than anything else when it comes to purchasing a game

Again. I cold care less about the sales numbers. The game play is dead. Murder miners has a lower population. I'd rather play that than halo 5. Halo is going in th wrong director. Halo is dead. Sales isn't gonna help it's mediocre game play and large maps

I don't think you realize that I care about depth and quality/value than anything else when it comes to purchasing a game

So stop saying stupid polarising moronic statements if it has no basis in reality except your own mind.

If you don't like it okay, idc, say it's dead to you.

So stop saying stupid polarising moronic statements if it has no basis in reality except your own mind.

If you don't like it okay, idc, say it's dead to you.

It's not my own mind. Plenty of people stopped playing halo because of the direction it's goin. None of my homies play anymore

I don't think you realize that I care about depth/replay value and quality/value than anything else when it comes to purchasing a game

So you made the argument that games arent free so you choose what games you buy. So running with that theory you'd rather throw 60$ on a game with a really good 10 hour campaign and very little replay value than a game with a decent 10 hour campaign plus a solid multiplayer title that supports esports that you can play for 2 plus years??

I really fail to see the logic in your problem with this. Say they both do what you want, a new generation of hardware that is completely different from the previous one, devs would be forced to develop games for the new one and the players would still have to make the choice to upgrade or not. A 360 owner missed out on all the X1 games by not buying the X1? No? Have you not gone through different console generations other than the Xbox 360/PS3 to X1/PS4? 

Literally every single aspect of the new Scorpio and Neo is preferable and objectively better than the old way. Every single concern I've heard from you makes no sense other than if there are never new consoles, ever. It's time for new consoles anyway, they are old as shit and run like shit. 

With a hard generational gap people are forced to upgrade. But because of that everyone who does upgrade wins. They get a console whose games are built just for it. If you don't upgrade, well then that's your choice but the next gen should not be held back in order to appease you.

Why would I buy a new console if most of the games for it are being tethered back to the old console? I don't want a new console that is being held back by XB1. Scorpio doesn't look worth a purchase and it's going to make xb1 a worse place to be as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You're really pulling out the mental gymnastics to justify a system that has been speeding towards obsolescence ever since personal computers of comparable and greater power became extremely affordable for consumers and steam revolutionized the distribution of games. You're worried about getting poorly optimized XB1 games? Oh, you mean like what we get now, because the system is under-powered? Or do you mean like we got for a good deal of the 360's lifespan, as I already mentioned? How exactly do you think that providing people with the OPTION to play it on superior PC and superior console hardware introduces this problem, when the real issue is outdated consoles? "Up-scaled" sure is a quaint word to describe potentially much better performance, higher resolutions, better post-processing, better textures, etc. They could very easily establish preset settings specific to each SKU and, to be frank, the bulk of the significant optimization on all of the consoles will be the same, because the CORE ARCHITECTURE is the same. You don't find that "up-scaling" valuable? OK. Then play the shittier, ancient console version as per usual and nothing has changed.

Do you also think that first party developers being stuck catering solely to outdated hardware is a good thing? Say what you will about the quality of H4 as a game, but it's very clear that it was a few steps short of making the 360 explode, because the system was 7 years old at the time. With the outdated console model you are defending, there is no option for console players to get a better experience and PC players have to buy a separate system in order to play exclusives that were blatantly pared down to achieved barely acceptable performance. Outside of a port to a future system, that's what you're stuck with. Meanwhile, with the new model, existing owners can still play their 720p 24fps late-generation ports and all of those additional options exist.

You're not understanding what im saying.

Im saying I want the scorpio to be disconnected from XB1. I don't want XB1 to hold back scorpio. I don't want devs who are making games for it to have to spend valuable time and resources worrying about the XB1 version. Tying the scorpio to the XB1 will make scorpio games worse.

If im throwing down 400, 500,600+ bucks on a console I don't want it playing the same games as XB1. I want scorpio games to be unimaginable on an XB1. If it can't do that, why even bother making it? Wait until that console is doable.

So I have to buy a 4k tv to experience the benefits of Scorpio? Think I will stick with the standard Xbox One then

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e3-2016-scorpio-wont-benefit-those-without-a-4k-tv-says-xbox-boss

In an interview with Eurogamer, Spencer said those who don't have a 4K display should instead buy an Xbox One S, "because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see." ... "Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you," he said.

So I have to buy a 4k tv to experience the benefits of Scorpio? Think I will stick with the standard Xbox One then

Are the benefits only for 4k?

nvm, your edit answered my question

Are the benefits only for 4k?

Edited my original post with link and quotes. Sounds like it

With a hard generational gap people are forced to upgrade. But because of that everyone who does upgrade wins. They get a console whose games are built just for it. If you don't upgrade, well then that's your choice but the next gen should not be held back in order to appease you.

Why would I buy a new console if most of the games for it are being tethered back to the old console? I don't want a new console that is being held back by XB1.

News flash, X1 games were held back by the 360 for a long time because devs want to cater the larger audience base too. 

You buy the new console if you want a better experience, how is that hard to understand? You'll see more people buy this new console than you would if it was a whole new system with completely different architecture. Your arguments make literally no sense at all. 

It's not my own mind. Plenty of people stopped playing halo because of the direction it's goin. None of my homies play anymore

Ah okay, your friends stopped, halo is dad guys!!!!!!

So you made the argument that games arent free so you choose what games you buy. So running with that theory you'd rather throw 60$ on a game with a really good 10 hour campaign and very little replay value than a game with a decent 10 hour campaign plus a solid multiplayer title that supports esports that you can play for 2 plus years??

When did I say that and how did you come to that conclusion?