RyanW

Going Back To Halo 3's Social Ranking System

22 members have voted

1. 1. How would you want the Social Ranking System in the next Halo to be like?

• Halo 3
    • Halo Reach/4's Progression/Currency
    • Both(Ranking up for a win and getting currency for cosmetics)
    • Other(Explain)

I don't really see much of an issue with tying some aesthetic stuff to what's essentially time played. Just have a few other things connected to the other systems also. Best of both worlds.

Do you want people to "progress" just for playing the game rather than having an incentive to improve and not be a burden on their team?

Did you not read the entire post?

If a halo 3 style ranking system was too return I believe the best way would be to have both ranked and social playlists and a large focus on unlockable armour skins and other cosmetic stuff which can be unlocked through commendations and ranks. For example to unlock a BR skin you would need a 50 in team slayer in ranked or 1500 XP Social Slayer, this would increase the longevity of the game while also giving an incentive to play ranked to get a 50.

Did you not read the entire post?

Yes.

You want players to be like "Skill 49, Lt. Colonel G3, SR-109"?

Having two progression system makes it redundant and confusing, (especially the one what's literally 100% based on time spent on the game). I don't see the point in having two, when one is a meaningless metric that can be found on the website... I think in-game too, but I haven't looked at H4's service record in so long. I'm almost sure it does show time spent on the game though.

I just don't see why you would want to make people feel rewarded for being able to turn their Xbox on and searching Matchmaking, without even having to worry about winning. This is a competitive game, as in two men enter, the better one leaves. The modern gaming mindset where "everyone is a winner" should not be a thing here.

Commendations are fine and something neat to go for, and there's nothing wrong with using them to unlock cosmetics... but that's all it should be.

EXP sets apart people who want to win and those who don't care to, while still making sub-average players progress, granted that they're not doing so bad that the rest of their team can't even carry them. That's the kind of progression system that is fitting for a competitive shooter such as Halo.

And reminder to all that competitive != necessarily e-sports.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yes! Thank you! This is the kind of answer I wanted, not "Idk I don't like it so no." That's all I see on these forums. People giving opinions, but not explaining why they have X opinion.

I added in a poll with a few general ideas being talked about in the thread. Nothing really deep. I just want to see everyone's opinion on the matter even if they don't vote.

Social Ranking System, but like the regular Ranks in Reach (Noble, Eclipse, etc) I played countless hours of that game just grinding to get enough CR to rank up, or to get that cool looking armor (Which both were lacking in Halo 4, numbers are not cool social ranks)

I'd love to see it back but it needs to have one change (I might be alone in this but hey, we'll see.)

The ability to see the Most Valuable Player (MVP) was available to see in the post-game stats. The issue with MVP was that if you received it while you were on the losing team, you got nothing for your efforts.

It was brought up a while back in 08, 09 and 2010:

If you lose the game, but you are the MVP, you should receive 1XP.

If you win the game and you receive MVP, you should receive 2XP.

I miss MVP

Halo 3 exp system, but with tiered accommodations like Halo Reach

1-50

No progression/credit system

Armor unlocked through specific challenges or achievements, Quality > Quantity in armor

Elites playable, but only in social playlists

-----

Also, the ranked free-for-all playlist should be like MLG FFA. Lone Wolves was a terrible competitive playlist.