Sign in to follow this  
MetaNigh7

A Letter to Game Devs: Embrace The Competitive Scene

I honestly agree 100%! The competitiveness of a game determines its longevity. I hope Gears can come back and I also hope the Halo can come back as well.  

Gears was incredible. I put hundreds of hours into 3 especially because it was so difficult to be good. Hoping Black Tusk and other developers see the writing on the wall. Being a good game that is also hard to be good at is not a bad thing.

Great post, I really do miss Gears, Although I got destroyed every time I went on but having that one clutch moment every now and then made up for it. I use to love watching Cream on twitch the guy was a beast, I really hope this is a turning point for game devs, they need to understand why there game was successful in the first place.

Great post, I really do miss Gears, Although I got destroyed every time I went on but having that one clutch moment every now and then made up for it. I use to love watching Cream on twitch the guy was a beast, I really hope this is a turning point for game devs, they need to understand why there game was successful in the first place.

^^^This!!!

Tired of seeing devs offer crutch tools to new players so they can avoid the time and practice it takes to master a game and kill good players.

I'm not that great at Halo, but I love it and I respect the skill gap. It creates an incentive to get better. When I finally learned to outstrafe players as compared to just shooting everyone in the back a little thought crept into my head:

"Wow...I'm starting to get the hang of this"

Great feeling. Lots of self-gratification and because it took time to get better, I appreciate the game that much more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2, GoW, RB6 Vegas, SSB, even Shadowrun those were the best days of MLG for shooters   :)

Some legit teams in that era.

Gamers at the highest level of competition break down game to such small and isolated portions so that they can master it.

Developers are  those who piece it together. The more complex, the harder it is to unravel and the more you can learn everyday.

Learning is what brings gamers back to the game, trying to master every part. I think that's what drives competition in video games. 

When developers half-ass it, or add less counter play and other nonsense, the top players know and easily abuse mechanics which make the game less fun.

Balance is key! So is developer love and player interaction with the creators.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This was a good read, nice post. I'm fiending for a new good GoW game.

Very good read and very true that the competitive community is what makes the games have longevity.  Up rep for you. :)

I used to compete in gow1/3 some of the best times ive had in gaming. My jersey is still on my wall :D

League of Legends, Star Craft 2 and DOTA 2 players are held as celebrities in South Korea.

No they arent. Hate people saying this.

+rep for good post.