Awaloa, Hawaiian for "burial grounds of the chiefs", is a 4v4 map set on an island in Erosion's under ground lake.

Version 11

Download version 11 here

Here are some version 10 / version 11 pics.

Awaloa10-Courtyard_zps275e1ecc.png
Courtyard

Awaloa10-Center-Interior_zpsc4ecf4c4.png
Interior

Awaloa10-Balcony_zps01210f26.png
Balcony

Awaloa10-Bluebase_zps0d06d249.png

Blue base

Awaloa10-InitialSpawns-LOS_zps623551dd.p
Initial spawns see each other at a distance

Version 8

Download version 8 here

I took some advice from the previous version and made the following changes.

1. Rebuilt the map from scratch and 20% shorter bridge.

2. Rebuilt the bases with steps of elevation to encourage pressing into enemy bases.

3. Added additional structure to the top of the bridge for cover.

4. Added additional weapons on either end of each base (shotgun and needler)

5. Added sword to rock planter in court yard

I suspect that this map has turned out to play Extraction better than any other objective game type.

Version 6

Awaloa boasts a Narrows-esq appearing bridge and underpass coupled with an ancient temple wall and court yard. The map is fully symmetrical in layout to support CTF and Ricochet. Slayer, KOTH, and Extraction utilize dynamic spawning.

This map is my second Halo 4 map specifically centered around segmenting the map using a wall like structure in a Power House -esq curved format. Site lines from any point of the top of the wall (from any point on the map really) covers less than 50% of the playable area.
Design goals

• 2LP rendering support
  • Narrows-esq two level bridge structure & Power House style circular wall
  • Unique play on skins to make the holes in the bridge look and play interestingly
  • Gently sloping ground surface, a side affect of terra-forming using the coli walls
  • Clean architectural designs both inside and out
  • Segmenting and mid level elevation within the court yard
  • Non direct paths to the top of the wall via the rocks along the edge of the map
  • Some KOTH and Extraction sites protected from above, but also out of sight from above
  • Small map spawning centered around the under bridge interior

Initial Ordnance: [email protected]
Weapons on Map: 2xSnipers(1spare)@90s,[email protected],[email protected]@30s, [email protected], [email protected]
Budget: ~4k/10k
More Details

• Static spawning for CTF and Ricochet
  • Dynamic spawning for all other game types
  • Significantly optimized for 2LP -- minor degradation in less than 10% of all doubled perspectives*
  • OD only for Overshield to reduce rendering degradation.
  • Ricochet zones are elevated off the floor to reduce death scores
  • Ricochet zones are hidden behind base wall to make ball toss from top of bridge impossible.
  • Interior of the under bridge provides elevated sections to strafe from
  • Ricochet and Oddball ball spawns are along center line, while KOTH and Extraction sites are scattered across the map
  • Play area will be defined by safe boundary to eliminate exploits of hiding off map edge**
  • Hard kill boundaries will surround the map a short distance off shore to reset the Rico ball**
  • This map will be hardened against exploits as it nears its final design**

* Doubled perspectives is where both controllers are orientated to the same perspective, which amplifies the poor performance. To put the 2LP performance of Awaloa version 8 into perspective, the only other forge map in the playlists today (that I know of) that performs as well or better is Meta Raid and possibly Hekau.

** To be implemented still.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Dem curves...

I'll try to get a game on this map in one of my custom lobbies. Looks interesting.

hmm hmm how is the gameplay on it?

It looks really really interesting...

Hey dude sorry I'm just now getting back to you.  We really thought the map was cool, honestly.  I really love the design elements and sight lines.  The main problem I see is that the map itself is WAY too big for 4v4.  If this were to be used for 6v6 or 8v8 I'd say it's perfect, but 4v4 wouldn't work.....it's just way too big.

You need a 2 items spawning on either side of the centre line of the map to focus more movement to those areas.

The "top mid" of the map probably needs some cover to make it a more viable option for players.

Id be worried about screen lag on some of the long sightlines.

Bases seem rather open.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey dude sorry I'm just now getting back to you.  We really thought the map was cool, honestly.  I really love the design elements and sight lines.  The main problem I see is that the map itself is WAY too big for 4v4.  If this were to be used for 6v6 or 8v8 I'd say it's perfect, but 4v4 wouldn't work.....it's just way too big.

So I rebuilt Awaloa from the ground up to have a bridge length about 20% shorter than before. The difference can be seen in the courtyard as well.

You need a 2 items spawning on either side of the centre line of the map to focus more movement to those areas.

The "top mid" of the map probably needs some cover to make it a more viable option for players.

Id be worried about screen lag on some of the long sightlines.

Bases seem rather open.

I added shotguns and needlers on both ends of the map. I have a sword in the court yard in the top of the rock planter, as well as the OS on the ground on the court yard. I replaced the ROD with a railgun OD. I have struggled not to add snipers because I am trying not to flood this map with power weapons.

I added a small structure at the top that I think will work for cover in a variety of directions.

I reduced rendering performance problems as a result of shortening the map.

The bases were reworked, not to make them less open, but to lower them and raise up structures at the front of the bases. This combination I believe will encourage pushes into the bases since most of the bases are now no longer in line of site of the wall or bridge top.  The bases also have some interesting geometry and architecture that I think sort of resembles Halo 2 designs (tell me if you agree or not).

Running around on it with my son, we both think it has turned out to potentially be a strong Extraction map and KOTH map, with CTF possibly being decent and Ricochet somewhere in between.

So I rebuilt Awaloa from the ground up to have a bridge length about 20% shorter than before. The difference can be seen in the courtyard as well.

I added shotguns and needlers on both ends of the map. I have a sword in the court yard in the top of the rock planter, as well as the OS on the ground on the court yard. I replaced the ROD with a railgun OD. I have struggled not to add snipers because I am trying not to flood this map with power weapons.

I added a small structure at the top that I think will work for cover in a variety of directions.

I reduced rendering performance problems as a result of shortening the map.

The bases were reworked, not to make them less open, but to lower them and raise up structures at the front of the bases. This combination I believe will encourage pushes into the bases since most of the bases are now no longer in line of site of the wall or bridge top.  The bases also have some interesting geometry and architecture that I think sort of resembles Halo 2 designs (tell me if you agree or not).

Running around on it with my son, we both think it has turned out to potentially be a strong Extraction map and KOTH map, with CTF possibly being decent and Ricochet somewhere in between.

I'll gladly retest your map again.  I should be on this Friday, the 29th, from 9am Eastern until about 5pm Eastern.

I'll gladly retest your map again.  I should be on this Friday, the 29th, from 9am Eastern until about 5pm Eastern.

I live in Hawaii, so that is really early. But I may go into the office late that morning and try to get on around 7am my time. I will message you if I can steal the time.

But if I don't make it I would really appreciate it if you could ask the people who do play the map a few questions that would help me out a lot...

1. Was the base geometry adequate cover that you felt spawning in the base was safe? And in turn did you feel that it encouraged pushing into the enemy base rather than remain on high ground looking down into the entrances?

2. Was the under bridge inviting from each entrance?

3. Were the number and types of power weapons generally balanced for the map size and party size? Or were they too few or not powerful enough?

These are key questions that have plagued me from the beginning and I would really like to know if I am on the right track with each of these. These are really the "rough cut" concepts I am still trying to iron out.

Also, I did more work on this map and I am now at version 9 or 10 (I honestly don't recall, its been a long weekend). If it isn't on my FS by now I will try to get it up there this week for you to use. It is the one I would prefer you test as the bases were worked on even more.

Sounds good man.  Hit me up if you do jump on, and if not I'll look at your FS and download the most recent version available.

Updated the map to make the bases more protective of the spawns and movement within the bases, and to encourage pushing into the bases rather than hold high ground. Bases have several ways out and several ways in. Jetpacks may be an issue in base defense, so this map may play CTF best with legendary CTF only. Extraction may be the strongest game type for this map.

This isn't a bad map by any means, and it's a major step up from your previous works. I really enjoy the smooth curving stone aesthetic and over all theme of the map. Unfortunately it severely lacks structural cover to break up sight lines and segregate sections of the map, which in combination with the major choke point towards the central bridge, significantly deteriorates the competitive merit of the map.

It actually reminds me of earlier versions of Select, which suffered from the same issues I just stated in Reach. Might I suggest you take a look at the Reach and H4 versions to see how I tackled such problems myself?

Keep up the good work.

I haven't played it yet, but just based on the screenshots, I'd say one thing that concerns me is that bottom middle area (inside the crescent) is WAY too open. I can imagine that nobody would be going through there at all, as they'd likely not make it back out the other side.

Aside from that, I absolutely love the general design & shape of the map. It's not often you find a map with curves, let alone one that isn't ultimately shaped like a square or rectangle in general.

Great work :)

@@Fyrecide - you may want to at least forge through it. The under bridge has five paths in and out: the two on either end, the once in the center that leads to the court yard, and two on the other side, one near each end. I know the pic may not make that clear however.

In light of MCC I don't see this map evolving any further. It's just a concept map at this point.

@@Fyrecide - you may want to at least forge through it. The under bridge has five paths in and out: the two on either end, the once in the center that leads to the court yard, and two on the other side, one near each end. I know the pic may not make that clear however.

In light of MCC I don't see this map evolving any further. It's just a concept map at this point.

I get that much; it's not a stop-gap area. What I'm saying is due to the large area at the top of the ring (it goes all the way around the parameter), if the opposing team has even ONE person up there, any teammate that goes bottom-mid is going to get wrecked simply because there are almost no blocked sight-lines to bottom-mid from ring 2 (aka top parameter of mid). The only cover down there is the rock thing in the center which is really only effective against attackers who are also bottom-mid with you.

It's literally like shooting fish in a barrel down there, lol.

But it wouldn't take much to make it more balanced while still maintaining the power-position aspect of ring 2.

It's literally like shooting fish in a barrel down there, lol.

But it wouldn't take much to make it more balanced while still maintaining the power-position aspect of ring 2.

I was playing with raising the rock planter so that it towered more and broke sight lines from the wall top and I may make that change this weekend.

Cut the internet drama, take it to PMs if you must indulge yourselves but de-railing the thread with it isnt acceptable.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was playing with raising the rock planter so that it towered more and broke sight lines from the wall top and I may make that change this weekend.

Good start, although I'd think about maybe enclosing that area but leaving 1 or 2 "skylight" windows to peer down from, which would also give you another "walkable" area, which you could then add some blocks or something for cover (so that it's not just a giant flat roof area, lol).

Let me know if you make any changes / updates to it. I'd love to see how it progresses if you do!