Sign in to follow this  
ZipCity117

How H5 can be successful without undoing everything in H4 (x-post)

This is an x-post of mine from r/halo. This might be a better place:

Note: I'm assuming that we won't be able to play as Elites in Halo 5.

What does everyone get mad about in Halo 4? Boltshot, camo, stickies, plasma pistol, personal ordnance. Here's how Halo 5 can improve on 4 without going back to Halo 3:

1) Loadout weapons that are only UNSC: DMR, BR, AR, SMG(explained later) & Pistol. Frags.

2) Armor abilities that you load out with: Regen, Hologram, or Thruster Pack. These armor abilities take some skill to use and are balanced. No camo, no prom. vision, no jetpack.

3) Armor abilities on map: All the other armor abilities could spawn in certain places so you have to fight for them.

4) Covenant/Promethean loadout weapons on map at certain places: CC, SR, PP, LR, BS. Same goes for grenades.

5) Dual-wieldable secondaries: Pistol, SMG, Plasma Rifle (different than Storm Rifle), Spiker (if Brutes return). These secondaries would be weaker than primaries when there's only one. You load out with one pistol or one SMG. You can pick up the others on the map.

6) Put power-ups on map.

7) Put power-weapons on map.

8) Keep Personal Ordnance, except limit it to: an additional secondary , primary ammo, and grenades.

9) No random drops on the map (fixed with recent update).

10) Fewer playlists with more gametype options.

11) Descope instead of flinch.

12) Take away sprint; increase movement speed and make maps smaller.

13) Make more small maps!

14) In-game ranked for certain playlists.

15) Profit.

Discuss!

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would rather have single use, Halo 3 style Equipment than Armor Abilities.

Equipment stays true to arena style play while still allowing for new abilities to be introduced into the game.

• Upvote (+1) 8

What does everyone get mad about in Halo 4? Boltshot, camo, stickies, plasma pistol, personal ordnance. Here's how Halo 5 can improve on 4 without going back to Halo 3:

1) Loadout weapons that are only UNSC: DMR, BR, AR, SMG(explained later) & Pistol. Frags.

2) Armor abilities that you load out with: Regen, Hologram, or Thruster Pack. These armor abilities take some skill to use and are balanced. No camo, no prom. vision, no jetpack.

3) Armor abilities on map: All the other armor abilities could spawn in certain places so you have to fight for them.

4) Covenant/Promethean loadout weapons on map at certain places: CC, SR, PP, LR, BS. Same goes for grenades.

5) Dual-wieldable secondaries: Pistol, SMG, Plasma Rifle (different than Storm Rifle), Spiker (if Brutes return). These secondaries would be weaker than primaries when there's only one. You load out with one pistol or one SMG. You can pick up the others on the map.

6) Put power-ups on map.

8) Keep Personal Ordnance, except limit it to: an additional secondary , primary ammo, and grenades.

15) Profit.

Discuss!

Sounds like a good game, it could be great if loadouts were made extinct, and u didnt start with ANY armor abilities, but instead had to pick them up on the map like h3 equipment. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The sandbox just needs balance and a tweaking of some mechanics for a less training-wheel style experience. You'd be surprised just how much of a simple solution, would drastically change the game and how it's played.

I would say no loadouts and no spawning with AA's. These two things have not added in

a positive way to Halo since they were introduced in my opinion.

Other than that great post.

All valid points OP, as long as there is in-game ranks I don't give a fuck how bad the game is.

I replied to you on r/Halo but I'll post it here for everyone else to see also.

1 and 2) Loadouts should include Primaries (what H4 had), Pistol Secondary only, Grenade choice, and AA choice (Auto Sentry, Thrust, Hologram, Regen, and I actually think PV isn't that bad)

3 and 4) Obviously Yes

5) Nah, Dual Wielding is kind of silly. Sort of a waste of time. There fun and cool looking but don't really add that much too gameplay (unless they were the OP Halo 2 style)

6/7) Yup

8) is kind of pointless, there really is no point to it. Just remove it all together, PODs were a cool idea but were executed poorly.

9) Yup

10) Disagree, the amount of playlists Halo 4 has right now is perfect. Replace Infinity Slayer with Team Slayer and add CTF to BTB and its good

11, 12) Yup

13) 6 Small Maps, 6 Large, and 2 Medium that work for 4v4 and 8v8 (Standoff/Last Resort sized)

14) Yes, and to prevent boosting/selling accounts, reset ranks every 3 months

15) yup.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Make it where players can't sprint unless they have full shields. Same thing with all AA's. Also make sprint an AA again.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Make it where players can't sprint unless they have full shields. Same thing with all AA's. Also make sprint an AA again.

No AA use without full shields? That sorta ruins abilities like Hardlight and Regen.

• Downvote (-1) 1

6) Put power-ups on map.

15) Profit.

Discuss!

I agree with all of this, but would like to add a point involving BTB. Vehicles play little to no role now, the wraith is underused on maps and things like hogs are useless (The new update helped make them more viable.) Give the vehicles area to roam freely and become the power items they are. Adding back an UNSC flying vehicle would help tremendously and so would the removal of stickies and plasma pistols (which OP mentioned.)

Halo 5 can win me over if it brings back the well needed vehicle domination.

look i've said this since Halo Reach came out to make Halo successful again WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL Halo 1, 2, and 3 Mechanics. That's what Call of duty has done kept the same mechanics throughout all of Call of duty and look at how successful they are. NUFF SAID! 

No sprint, no personal loadouts, weapons on map, armour abilities on map, 10+ small/medium arena style maps at launch (even bring back some classics), in game 1-50 ranking system (where you actually get matched in your skill range).  Success.

This doesn't undo everything, it just does the new additions differently - new weapons and armour abilities still have their place (on the map).

Remake Halo 2 is all they need to do. Instead of trying to be like CoD/Crysis.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No AA use without full shields? That sorta ruins abilities like Hardlight and Regen.

I guess there could be a few exceptions then :3

People like you bring down the community to an extent. 

I'm agreeing with everyone in this thread wtf

No sprint

No flinch

Descoping

4SK Br

If they're going to have AA's have them as ordnance as we do in AGL settings

Timed power weapon spawns on map, no power weapons in ordnance

Visible 1-50 rank system

Multiple GOOD medium sized maps at launch. 

If they do all that they have a chance.

I really really hope that after all the progress we've made with halo 4, they don't just come out with halo 5 and nerf everything. I hope that they have looked at their numbers and realised that the game isn't as popular anymore, and there's a reason for that.

I also think that the graphics in halo 4 were a step in the wrong direction. Halo 3 graphics were far nicer on the eyes and the maps had more personality. Halo 4 just seems to be very drab colour schemes and lifeless maps. 

There's no reason why they couldn't have better/more advanced graphics (especially with the xbox one), and still have vibrant and dynamic colour schemes. Honestly when I play halo 4, the game itself just feels dead. It's hard to describe but it isn't aesthetically pleasing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thread Name is Completely Opposite of the actual information inside the thread...just saying

You explained a good Halo game in the information

wheres as the thread title explains improving a shitty halo game

• Downvote (-1) 2

yeah i wouldnt mind those settings. they could implement that into halo 4 right now and itd be great Lol

I know how to make Halo 5 work without taking everything away from Halo 4.
1) Make everything toggle-able, allow us to toggle off more recent changes in order to make classic settings on the fly. That way there is always a way to play the settings you enjoy.
2) Give us all the custom options you could possibly think of. I want a custom power up! I want precision editing! I want to drop the flag! I want a none throwable Ball! I want real Neutral Bomb! the list goes on.
3) Social and Ranked playlists. Where social can have all those lame Inf, slayer settings and Ranked can have the more Classic/Competitive settings.
I mean there could be some Inf. Slayer options in some of the ranked playlists but have a lower chance at getting them, kinda like in Halo 3 where if you vetoed in Team slayer you were getting BRs. This time it will be Classic settings and at the lower weighted end will be inf. settings.
4) In game ranks, this is a no brainer.

There really is no point to taking things out of Halo except for Sprint because it will dictate how on disk/DLC maps are made and if sprint is in it then we will get the same crap we got in Halo 4. Just add back in all the settings that were removed (H2/H3 stuff) and give us the custom options to make anything our hearts desire. Damn it! I want juggernaut, vip, and OS/Camo/Custom powerups back!   

• Downvote (-1) 1

Stopped reading at 2.)

If Halo is to succeed, we need to get rid of loadouts and AA's for good. 

There is absolutely nothing about Halo 4 that another Halo game 1) didn't do better, or 2) didn't do WAY fucking better.

What they need to do is to create a good solid game, rather than a half assed one.

• Downvote (-1) 1