CyReN

Marty O'Donnell Fired by Bungie [UPDATE]

Under a final ruling issued today from a court-appointed arbitrator, Bungie must honor its agreements with O’Donnell that gave him the right to hold a considerable share of stock in the company. And the filing contains for the first time the ordeal that O’Donnell went through as he quarreled with Bungie over issues of creative freedom and stock ownership in the company that he cofounded. The court papers reveal a rare, unseen story of the making of Destiny, and the internal struggles that happened between Activision, the publisher, and Bungie, the developer of the game that is now played by millions.

Source: Venture Beat

OLD:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

One does not simply terminated Marty. I guess Destiny's just lost its feeling with Marty gone.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Isn't that illegal? Getting fired or terminated without a reason, or without being told the reason?

Also, to be honest, why do I have the feeling he's coming to Microsoft? Not specifically 343, but another title/game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can't believe this.

Isn't that illegal? Getting fired or terminated without a reason, or without being told the reason?

As far as I know if they pay him what the law says he can be fired without a reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't believe this.

As far as I know if they pay him what the law says he can be fired without a reason.

It all depends what his contract states, which we will never know. I doubt Bungie would part ways with someone like Marty for no reason. There is always a reason.

What just happened. This isn't possible.

I'm in denial. There isn't something called a Bungie game without Marty O'Donnell. 

Halo Marty? Please?

I say we have everyone spam Halowaypoint, Bravo, or whoever we can. If H5 is still in development, this :goat:  needs to be on board. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Holy shit this is a huge surprise. Please hire this GOAT of a composer, 343. #BringMartyhome

wow! is all i can say his music is so iconic he's been with Bungie for like 15+ years and just like that fired can't believe it.  

Halo might be saved.

But I'm baffled about this. In my book, he's the greatest composer in the video game industry by a long shot. He conveys feeling very well within songs and that's something extremely rare. I don't mean just the usual song that gets you pumped, but all sorts of emotions.

Bungie's hurting themselves with this, but there has to be a valid reason... this makes no sense.

inb4 MS paid Bungie to terminate him

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How stupid is Bungie exactly?

He made their games so much better.

Maybe I'm being ignorant here because I don't know the exact reasons behind it....but come on...

• Upvote (+1) 2

HOLY SHIT.

WHAT THE FUCK. 

BUNGIE. WHYYYYYYYY.

THE FUCK IS THIS, LATE APRIL FOOLS?

You're 16 days late on the April Fools, Bungie.

It's got to be a joke, right?

Right?

• Upvote (+1) 3

He was literally the one constant in every halo game. The quality of gameplay/maps/weapon sandbox/etc all fluctuated between games (worse each iteration imo). But you could always count on the musical score in each Halo game to be absolutely fantastic.

I mad.

• Upvote (+1) 6

But I'm baffled about this. In my book, he's the greatest composer in the video game industry by a long shot. He conveys feeling very well within songs and that's something extremely rare. I don't mean just the usual song that gets you pumped, but all sorts of emotions.

Nobuo Uematsu. If you're familiar with the first 10 or so Final Fantasy's you'll understand.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Depends on Washington state laws. Every state is different. I know that in Louisiana, a company fire an employee without cause, though an employee can leave a company instantly without cause as well. That's probably the case in Washington if Bungie was able to do this.