YoshinJaa

Repopulate Halo 2 Vista

FAQ's (updated 10/18/2014):

I can't connect to a server or I am getting disconnected in-game after some time?

This is especially for those who have used an alternate installation guide or 'crack' previously as well H2 Shark's Activate function, but may also affect players with a purchased key. As of Oct. 7th, H2 Shark now has the 'PCID Changer' in Settings. Open H2 Shark and go to Settings, and then click on Reset PCID. 

My rank is showing up below my gamertag, but others have it set correctly?

Go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\H2PC\H2Launcher\Files and delete rank.sppf. Restart H2 Shark as Administrator (right-click on the Shark icon). If you are unable to locate AppData folder, you will need to make it visible:

• Windows Vista/7: Press the ALT key on your keyboard. Go to Tools > Folder Options, scroll down and select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply.
  • Windows 8: Click on the View tab in the upper section of the explorer window. Check Hidden Items

I do recall moving the game folder somewhere else, but H2 Shark won't open?

Shark scans the registry for the halo 2 installation folder, if it cannot find it, it won't open.

Either reinstall the game. or manually navigate to this place in the registry and specify where your game install is.

32 bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\1.0\

64 bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\1.0\

Create a string value and name it GameInstallDir, then right click modify and put in your installation location. Without the halo2.exe

Example: GameInstallDir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\" 

Any way to fix the in-game lag or stuttering game play I am seeing?

This is primarily a vsync or FPS not locked issue. Majority of players seem to be having this same issue, so I will provide some tips on how to adjust it. Enabling vsync may not always fix the issue outright, you may need to also adjust other video settings like:

• Lowering your resolution to 720 or less
  • Switching from full screen to windowed mode
  • Disabling Anti-aliasing
  • Reducing Level of Detail to low or medium

As of H2 Shark beta 3.2, you can limit the framerate to 60FPS by simply doing the following:

1. Open H2 Shark and go to Settings
  2. Click on Advanced Video
  3. Click on the top switch to Enable Advanced Video Settings. FPS Limiter will turn on and will set to 60FPS.
  4. Click Save and then Cancel

Make sure to check for graphics card driver updates as well through your graphics card support website!

Nvidia: 

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx (you can use option 2 "Graphic Drivers" to automatically detect)

You can either use Nvidia Control Panel by right-clicking on the destkop and selecting the option in 3D settings to enable Vsync/Frame Rate Control, or you can also use Nvidia inspector to force 60FPS. Nvidia Inspector can be found here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html Open up the program and then go to the Profiles page (wrench and screwdriver icon). Select Halo 2 from the drop down list at the top. Afterwards, scroll down to the Commons section and set Frame Rate Limiter to 60FPS. Apply Changes at the top of the window afterwards.

AMD:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download (you can use the autodetect feature if unsure what kind of card you have)

Use RadeonPro to force set the FPS to 60 http://www.radeonpro.info/download/.Once installed, click the Add Profile button at the top of the window. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\halo2.exe and click open. Go to the Tweaks tab. Set Vsync Control to Always On, check Triple Buffering, and Dynamic Framerate Control and set Keep up to 60 FPS. If you are on Windows 7 or Vista, you can also check Disable Aero to improve the game's performance. Once finished, close out of the program and start the game.

Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx (you can use the Driver Update Utility to auto-detect for you)

Right click on the desktop and select Graphic Properties. Afterwards, select 3D Settings from the left-pane. Once you are in the 3D settings, check Custom Settings and then slide the vsync tab to Always On (or farthest right). Also, checking Application Optimal Setting may help as well. 

If you are on Windows 7 or 8, set the compatibility mode for both halo2.exe and startup.exe in your game directory(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2) to Windows Vista Service Pack 2. If your video card supports per-application/game settings,enable Always On vsync. Be aware though that other games on your computer may experience graphical oddities if you cannot set vsync on per-application. Another thing to try is to set the game in Windowed mode. Adjust your Resolution accordingly until it seems to have reduced most if not all the game lag. 

Use Fraps or a FPS counter to ensure the game is at a steady 50-60FPS: http://www.fraps.com/

Also, check out this article pertaining for various target line parameters like support for multiple monitors or forcing windowed mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830487

I am getting ERROR 0x8007065B after signing into my gamertag?

1. Navigate to either C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ for 64bit or C:\Windows\System32\ for a 32 bit computer.
  2. Copy and paste the xlive.dll and the xlive.dll.cat files from their to the root installation folder of your Halo 2 Vista.

3. Relaunch the game so it'll load the xlive.dll file.

Signing In to my Windows Live/Microsoft Account Says Invalid E-Mail or Password and I am sure it is correct?

Make sure you can sign in at http://xbox.com if you are able to log into your account, verify if your account is on hold or temporarily blocked (like lack of payment)

If your account has 2-step verification enabled, you will need to either disable it or use another account without 2-step as Games for Windows Live does not support 2-step verification (system was not updated to support the new proofs).

For anyone running Halo 2 Vista on WIndows 7 or WIndows 8 encountering "System Cannot Find the Specified Path" or "Live Gaming on Windows Failed to Initialize"

• Complete the installation steps above. Afterwards, download the following program here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5df4fd6c0c2f4c4e&id=5DF4FD6C0C2F4C4E%212756&ithint=file,.exe&authkey=!ACY0fhHdEgH0Yyc
  • Once it has finished downloading, browse to the file (most likely in "Downloads" folder). Right click on the file and select "Run as Administrator" You must have to Administrative privileges to run the application.
  • Once it has finished, H2V on Win7/8 should run. I personally noticed it ran better after running the fix, however it is not 100% necessary to use this. Try the game before patching it with this. 

I cannot connect to others! What can I do?

If you are unable to join other players, try to do the following:

• Use a dedicated server. Make sure that you can see the server's ping and median ping before connecting. If your friend can see it too, then this method could be a decent resolution. 
  • Check your NAT (Network Address Translation). Open is the most optimal connection. If you can connect to others but not certain people, ask them what their NAT is. If they are Moderate or Strict, they may have trouble connecting to games and this might affect Private chat. You could set up a DMZ (demilitarized zone) or use the Port Forwarding guide above to improve the connection. Setting a Static IP on your computer may also improve it and make sure that UPnP is enabled if your router supports it. Consult your router's manual or your ISP for more information.
  • You could also use a person that you know you both can connect to, to host lobbies, though since H2V supports dedicated servers, this would be the better solution most cases.

How do I stream my gameplay of Halo 2 Vista?

Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is really good with PC games and is free! https://obsproject.com/

Once you download and install it, make sure to run OBS as an Administrator (right click on the Open Broadcaster Software > Run As Administrator).Make sure to have Halo 2 open and signed in to Live. Once OBS opens, right click in the sources box and click Add > Game Capture, and then select Halo 2. Configure the other OBS settings like Broadcaster Settings and Audio.

How do you setup a dedicated server?

Simply check my text and video guide here: http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/6152-how-to-setup-a-halo-2-vista-dedicated-server/

Does Halo 2 Vista support Custom Maps?

Of course! This is one of the pluses of having a map editor available for this game. You can also share custom maps with others in your game lobby as the leader, by simply selecting your custom map from the custom maps tab when you are selecting the map to play (when you see Midship press to the right, a list of custom maps appear). Once they are done downloading, everyone can play. It is a really nifty feature! Want to play Derelict or Tombstone? Even Chill Out or Damnation? Check out custom maps here: http://h2v.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=6&sid=10

To install custom maps go to Documents/My Games/Halo 2/Maps and extract the .map file there. 

Port Forwarding Guide

To reduce clutter, this guide has been placed into spoiler tags. Simply press the Show button to read the Port Forwarding Guide.

This port forwarding guide is needed to improve the connectivity of joining and hosting games. You will need access to your router or modem in order to port forward. This guide is a universal guide, meaning it does not target any specific router or modem. You will need to read into how to access your router/modem web administration tool found in your router/modem's instruction manual or website. For a list of guides, please visit http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/:

• Click Start, type in "cmd" in the search box and hit Enter.
  • Once you are in Command Prompt, type "ipconfig"
  • Search for the adapter you are connected to your router/modem with. This means if you are connected to the internet wirelessly, look for an adapter with "Wi-fi" or "Wireless" in its name, or if you are hardwired, look for "Ethernet." Also, note what is listed under the IPv4 address section, as most cases which ever is connected to your router will have "192.168.xx.xx" which is the computer's private IP address. In the same adapter listing, note your Default Gateway, in most cases will be 192.168.1.1 but may be different according to how your network is setup. The Default Gateway is your router or modem. Write down both the IPv4 address and the Default Gateway you will need these in a moment.
  • Open up your web browser and type in your Default Gateway address into the url/address bar. You should be greeted with an Authentication Required message that is also prompting you for your username and password. By default, most routers/modems use "username: admin" "password: admin" or "password: password." Consult your manual or the person in charge of your network for this information.
  • Once you have entered the user/password of your router or modem, locate an option that will likely be named "Virtual Servers," "Port Forwarding," "Forwarding Rules." Refer to your router/modem's instruction manual to locate the option where to port forward.
  • Once you are in the port forward section, you will likely need to create a new forward rule (this is how you add a new port forward entry). Most of the time you will need to designate a name for the rule, and you may have to create multiple rules if your router does not list multiple port entries for one rule.

You will need to enter the following ports needed (by the way, this will not change your NAT) In most cases, for each entry, it will ask you what external host you want to forward these ports to. Enter the IPv4 address you wrote down earlier here. You may have to repeat having to type in the IPv4 address of your computer depending on how your router or modem lists it.

Ports needed for Games for Windows Live
3074 TCP and UDP
53 TCP and UDP
80 TCP
443 TCP
88 UDP

Example port forward configurations:
Name: GFWL
Inbound Port: 3074
Outbound Port: 3074
Type: Both
External Host: 192.168.xx.xx (your computer's IPv4 address)

Inbound Port: 53
Outbound Port: 53
Type: Both
External Host: 192.168.xx.xx (your computer IPv4 address)

Inbound Port: 80
Outbound Port: 80
Type: TCP

Inbound Port: 88
Outbound Port: 88
Type: UDP

Inbound Port: 443
Outbound Port: 443
Type: TCP

Once you have entered all the ports, restart your router or modem. Once your router or modem has rebooted and you have internet access again, repeat step 1-3 and verify if your IPv4 address has changed after reboot. If not, go to this website to and type in each port number listed above in order to determine if these ports are now open/reachable over the internet http://www.canyouseeme.org/

If your IPv4 address did change, edit out the forwarding rules to the new IPv4 by repeating steps 4 and 5. Once edited with the new host address, do not restart your router or modem, proceed to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and check if ports are open.

If your ports are not reachable on the website, recheck your forwarding rules. If the forwarding rules look good, you may have an issue with your ISP or Firewall. Disable all Firewalls on your computer first and try again. If that does not still work, contact your Internet Service Provider.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 Vista Customs List (last updated 10/29/2014):
If you mention your gamertag or wanting to connect with others for private matches/server games, I will add your name here. This is @@SUDDOTH2 original thread, it was merged here so it has been integrated into this post. 

• SUDDOTH 2
  • YoshinJaaa
  • WatchThisPlay
  • xZenArcade
  • obby5
  • iBus7er
  • iL Havok ii
  • BadEthanbX14
  • VivaciousJazzy
  • Opinion
  • ZANKI0H
  • Wzrd in War
  • Irish DTX
  • RICEaholic
  • Embossable
  • stoolB
  • th VeNoMz
  • YungMasta Cloud
  • II Twitchie II
  • Zejik
  • xSICx SM0K3 - the (0) is a zero
  • Kiko Mia
  • Saber NY
  • Acklete
  • Hoss Sauced
  • Champloo Who
  • sShotDowN x
  • Ninjafaces
  • LowGi
  • TBRNER
  • Psychodork
  • Da Infamous NY
  • Omenz 117
  • Jellyfissh
  • DtK Algorithm
  • The Oji
  • Bradvillain
  • OG EnlightN
  • GrooviusMax
  • Antix wapes
  • beardedvictory
  • a MarcusQuintus
  • zetren zeldora
  • SupaEpik
  • GunSmok3d PLOWS

shiiit i'll d/l some free halo

where's the link

H2V gives controllers a huge advantage, and mouse controls are as awful as default H2 aiming.

Starting the upload now. The OP will be edited with a link and instructions once its done. The installation process is a little tedious but it will not take long as long as you follow the instructions. 

EDIT: 38-split files are linked in the OP.

OP updated with instructions and download links. I was having difficulties uploading one large file, so I am splitting it into 100MB files. The link for that will be available later today. PM or post here if you running into issues. Enjoy! 

too hard to figure out tried 10000x. managed to get it working 3x but i got a new computer and reformatted and now i can't get it to work even tho i have a working legit key that i bought >.>

The game accepts my key but then the multiplayer won't ever highlight so i can't choose it

And the experience on h2 xbc is better. if you want to do bigteambattle there are tons of games on xlink

too hard to figure out tried 10000x. managed to get it working 3x but i got a new computer and reformatted and now i can't get it to work even tho i have a working legit key that i bought >.>

The game accepts my key but then the multiplayer won't ever highlight so i can't choose it

And the experience on h2 xbc is better. if you want to do bigteambattle there are tons of games on xlink

The process isn't easy but with a little time and effort, it can be easily done. 

Also, the OP has a link to download the game files in a 38-split folder.  

Also, the OP has a link to download the game files in a 38-split folder.  

Is the torrent from Piratebay seem legit? Lots of comments about it not working for Windows 7 64 bit and it not responding or installing...

Sorry if it is.. your guide you posted seems legit though... will try later anyway. Thanks YoshinJaa!

Wouldn't it be easier to just get on Halo 2 xbc? Either way glad to see people hopping back on Halo 2.

Is the torrent from Piratebay seem legit? Lots of comments about it not working for Windows 7 64 bit and it not responding or installing...

Sorry if it is.. your guide you posted seems legit though... will try later anyway. Thanks YoshinJaa!

I installed H2V from that torrent on a friend's WIndows 7 Pro 64-bit machine and got it running without additional steps. Make sure that you install to "C:\Program FIles (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2."

Wouldn't it be easier to just get on Halo 2 xbc? Either way glad to see people hopping back on Halo 2.

Many people have mentioned that. Yes, it would be easier to play on xbc, only needing to install xbc and run an ethernet cord and you are basically done. However, H2V is essentially H2 enhanced. Not only running on HD, for those that do not have a capture card could easily use Fraps or Xsplit to record/stream gameplay since it is a PC game. Also, the map editor (quite similar to forge) is a nice touch. I've been playing Guardian and Octagon lately, and its nice to be able play those maps on H2. There is a lot of custom content at your disposal. Dedicated server support is also a plus, being that it is a feature that many, including myself, want in the upcoming Halo titles. 

There's a little bit more pros to add to it (read the OP features), the cons are virtually the same (I don't think you can super bounce in this game) as it was in Xbox H2. 

For those that did download and are playing, what time do you normally get on? I am trying to get in touch with those competitive players that play this game. 

If I could get this working correctly on my Surface I'd play a lot more. Unfortunately I get some bad input with the 360 controller and have many graphical issues.

H2V gives controllers a huge advantage, and mouse controls are as awful as default H2 aiming.

I thought it was the other way around. Maybe I'm just bad.

I thought it was the other way around. Maybe I'm just bad.

Aim assist in Halo 2 is nothing but an advantage.

Aim assist in Halo 2 is nothing but an advantage.

I mean I did notice it was real easy to aim in H2V with the controller, I just thought it was even easier with the mouse

I would play but I havent touched it in over a year because my controller broke :(

Do you have another controller? My gf plays using an Dualshock 3  :kappa:

I mean I did notice it was real easy to aim in H2V with the controller, I just thought it was even easier with the mouse

Both have their advantages. Aiming overall does seem easier. Easier to doubleshot with controller imo, but I hear it could be easier with the keyboard especially when you set your R and X buttons right beside each other.

Thanks for the guide OP. Followed it to a Tee and it worked perfectly. Anyone who wants to play add Lottogasm on Windows Live!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the guide OP. Followed it to a Tee and it worked perfectly. Anyone who wants to play add Lottogasm on Windows Live!

Glad to hear! Add me YoshinJaaa I will be on later tonight around 830-9PM est

• Upvote (+1) 1

Glad to hear! Add me YoshinJaaa I will be on later tonight around 830-9PM est

added. although ill be leaving for wings at 930, ill be back later and playing if youre still on

I ordered Halo 2 Vista from Amazon around a week ago and got it in the mail yesterday. Everything goes smooth until I try to enter my product key for GFWL.

When I was trying to login to GFWL, it wouldn't let me because it kept saying my product key was INVALID. I was so confused because my Halo 2 game was brand new, factory-sealed. Long story short, yesterday I was on the phone for a total of ~4 hours with 3 different agents from that incompetent CS department. Wasn't able to get a new product key so I just decided to calm down and wait till tomorrow.

Thankfully, 4 times the charm, the guy I spoke to during noon helped me and got me a new product key. Took him a few minutes, but the wait was worth it.

So I login successfully, and the Halo 2 PC servers are close to complete death. They're even less populated than the Halo: CE PC servers. Does this have something to do with Halo 2 PC being a Vista exclusive and being a bitch to install/run? o.O