Sign in to follow this  
LouKangKus

Do you think gamers today are too soft?

How do you define soft? What would it take, in your mind, for a gamer to be soft?

someone who would rather ruin someone else's experience instead of trying to get better.

Now I will say gamers nowadays are very lazy. IMO laziness do not always mean soft.

someone who would rather ruin someone else's experience instead of trying to get better.

Now I will say gamers nowadays are very lazy. IMO laziness do not always mean soft.

That's a troll.

Being soft is when you cave under adversity and avoid doing things that are difficult because you can't handle it, despite the rewards for your effort.

There is so much "everyone is a winner", progression even in losses, low-stakes hand-holding that developers do for today's audience.  Nobody wants to get their little feelies hurt because they weren't as good as their opponent, so the developers do everything in their power to make the actual competition part of the game almost irrelevant.  They don't match like-skill.  They don't make each game feel like an actual match, because you can join in progress and leave at any time, and it keeps the same players and just shuffles the teams after each game.  You still earn all the same rewards in a loss as you do a win.  All of the emphasis of the game is placed on individual cumulative stats, not wins and losses.  The outcome of the game is pretty much irrelevant, so as not to hurt the loser's feelings.  Ever notice how games don't slow down towards the end in a close game of Team Deathmatch?  It's because nobody gives a shit.

So when they're faced with situations that are difficult, or that it really matters that they win, they shy away from it and stay in the kiddy pool of pubs and just collect their XP, because trying is scary.  That's being soft.  I don't know what else you would call it.  It's soft.

Don't solely blame the gamers, also blame the developers of the games.

I do. And then people defend those devs still.

That's a troll.

Being soft is when you cave under adversity and avoid doing things that are difficult because you can't handle it, despite the rewards for your effort.

There is so much "everyone is a winner", progression even in losses, low-stakes hand-holding that developers do for today's audience. Nobody wants to get their little feelies hurt because they weren't as good as their opponent, so the developers do everything in their power to make the actual competition part of the game almost irrelevant. They don't match like-skill. They don't make each game feel like an actual match, because you can join in progress and leave at any time, and it keeps the same players and just shuffles the teams after each game. You still earn all the same rewards in a loss as you do a win. All of the emphasis of the game is placed on individual cumulative stats, not wins and losses. The outcome of the game is pretty much irrelevant, so as not to hurt the loser's feelings. Ever notice how games don't slow down towards the end in a close game of Team Deathmatch? It's because nobody gives a shit.

So when they're faced with situations that are difficult, or that it really matters that they win, they shy away from it and stay in the kiddy pool of pubs and just collect their XP, because trying is scary. That's being soft. I don't know what else you would call it. It's soft.

I had a long reply but I know it wouldn't change your opinion so lets agree to disagree.

I had a long reply but I know it wouldn't change your opinion so lets agree to disagree.

We can do that if you want. I am interested in your viewpoint though.

I'd say there are more gamers that aren't up for a challenge than compared to the NES era. Those hardcore gamers are still there, but now there are mom gamers and such where they don't have the time to actually get into a game so they play Wii Sports which is a very simple game to play and understand.

Dark Souls is notorious for being a difficult game yet Dark Souls 2 sold 1 million copies in 24 hours or in a weekend or something. So there are gamers out there who still enjoy a challenge, there's just more of other type of gamers now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Look at the growth of speedrunning, that's certainly a form of "hardcore" gaming. Relentlessly pouring hours into a game to optimize your time.

I think the video game world is so much bigger now, you just notice these folks more often.

The soft games that are being developed are not indicative of players going soft. It's developers assuming players have gone soft.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The soft games that are being developed are not indicative of players going soft. It's developers assuming players have gone soft.

The ironic thing is the "soft" games you speak of is mostly a shooter problem, hence why many former Halo pros and competitive shooter players have temporarily switched to other genres or still favor decade old shooters(Ryanoob in dota 2, tons of others playing LoL, some reverting to H1 like Ogre 2,ect..)

While gaming as a whole has become more accessible(not necessarily a bad thing) the real problem is devs are intentionally dumbing down their games now(mostly in the shooter genre) and favoring RNG elements so new players are not scared away. What devs like Blizzard and Valve realize that others dont, or lack the skill to execute, is you can make a game more accessible without "dumbing it down".

Advertising the community through e-sports or otherwise and giving power to the players, results in longer-lasting communities and are essential for franchise longevity. Building a game for the "two-week audience" is how you end up killing franchises. Unless you think the skill-gap of the game is too punishing(not a problem with proper skill MM+healthy population) the real problem lies in the lack of genuine accessibility in the game's design. You dont have to take the "Spartan Wheelchair" route in order to make a game more accessible, and have it appeal to new audiences in other words.