Moa

Halo PC is shutting down on May 31st, 2014

halo-ce-hold-me.gif

"This is it baby, hold me."

- Sgt. Johnson, Halo: CE Legendary Ending

“Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.

If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.”

More info: http://teambeyond.net/halo-pc-shutting/

• Upvote (+1) 8

There will still be private servers. This really isn't too big of a deal.

The server they are shutting down is the one that registers all private servers and helps you select them, unless you know the exact IP address of every server you want to play on there will be no multiplayer. personally im not to crushed because the servers were all 8v8 Blood gulch and other dumb mods anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This also affects Unreal Tournament 3 since they use gamespy for their servers.  *sighs*  I already posted this on the UT forums and told everyone that they better write down all the server IP addresses of their favorite servers including my own before that date.  

So many games are being affected by this.

Goodbye Battlefront 2 Online ;(

• Upvote (+1) 2

The server they are shutting down is the one that registers all private servers and helps you select them, unless you know the exact IP address of every server you want to play on there will be no multiplayer. personally im not to crushed because the servers were all 8v8 Blood gulch and other dumb mods anyway.

There are a few 2v2 and higher slayer servers that are still populated. 100ish ping, but it is something.

There are a few 2v2 and higher slayer servers that are still populated. 100ish ping, but it is something.

To make the game have the same competitive value as xbox halo it would require a pregame lobby or one of the players to be in control of the server for restarting purposes. not being able to succesfully

start a timer to be in sync with the game is unnacceptable.

To make the game have the same competitive value as xbox halo it would require a pregame lobby or one of the players to be in control of the server for restarting purposes. not being able to succesfully

CE PC competitive has done fine for years without it. Everyone in the serve, check. Then just restart the map. Comp games on pc have done fine without it.

There's an option for the player running the server to reset the map. I'm not sure if there is a similar option for dedis.

I got some bit of good news. http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/3/5579254/gamespy-technology-shutdown-date-multiplayer-server-hosting-matchmaking
This link states that some developers and publishers including Epic Games for UT are taking measures to phase out gamespy's requirement for online gaming.  Good news for us UT3 players at least.  Hopefully MS will eventually confirm it will be doing the same.