Teapot

Beach Lan 3 - Top tiered H1 LAN (VODs Now On YouTube!)

I can personally attest to this.  He did the same for me.  In fact, he sought me out.  He PM'd me on the MLG forums back in the spring of 08.  We were going to Ohio University at the time, and I was an MLG ref.  Shibby (who was also at OU at that time) told him about me, and he invited me over to his house to LAN with him, Shibby, and his roommates.  He teamed with me and single handedly improved my CE game 1000% over the course of about 3 sessions at his place.  And my God was it fun.  I was getting smashed on, but I was learning so much that it was totally worth it.  I have nothing but good things to say about the guy.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I demand a tournament be played on 1 of the days.

If I was there Id make it happen.

Maybe its because I'm on the West Coast where there's a lot less h1 players, but whenever I hosted LANs we were extremely welcoming to noobs simply because we wanted more people to LAN with.  We couldn't afford to be elitists or stand offish, we were shocked that people even wanted to play even though they were gonna get demolished.  

And in game we didn't baby them, we still were competitive and played our hardest, but you can still coach them while playing or in between games and explain the reasoning behind certain plays. Maybe because one of my occupations is being a coach, I understand that if a player doesn't understand WHY they make a decision, just telling them to do it won't resonate with them.  You have to give reasoning.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Maybe its because I'm on the West Coast where there's a lot less h1 players, but whenever I hosted LANs we were extremely welcoming to noobs simply because we wanted more people to LAN with.  We couldn't afford to be elitists or stand offish, we were shocked that people even wanted to play even though they were gonna get demolished.  

And in game we didn't baby them, we still were competitive and played our hardest, but you can still coach them while playing or in between games and explain the reasoning behind certain plays. Maybe because one of my occupations is being a coach, I understand that if a player doesn't understand WHY they make a decision, just telling them to do it won't resonate with them.  You have to give reasoning.

This man knows what's up.

We plan to do a random tiered tournament, where players are assigned tiers 1-4, then 1s and 4s, and 2s and 3s are matched randomly.  We are also probably going to do a tournament where you pick your own partner.  My main concern is getting the "horsemen games" (top 4 players: Harris, Ogre2, Legend, and Skillz) played and capped.

Man I wish og1 could come back and play 2s with og2 against these people. Would love to see if anyone could beat them.

Hey, everyone!  I just discovered this website and thread and now that I've read it, I'd like to respond to a few things.  First of all, thanks for this discussion and the attention for my Beach LAN event.  

Secondly, I'd like to comment on the issue of bullies and/or the existence of a "toxic" community.  There are no doubt a few "bad eggs" who are particularly brutal and mean-spirited, but I wouldn't say they are in any way representative.  I estimate there are 4 of 5 of these guys.  More people need to speak up when they they cross the line and I make a point to do so.  Another thing that must be understood is that a lot us know each other very well.  For better or for worse, this results in us saying a lot of mean things to each other which is meant to be humorous, as opposed to nasty.  Unfortunately, sometimes "new guys" get this same treatment and misinterpret it.  

As far as training/tolerating new, less experienced, and/or less skilled players, I confess I do not have tons of patience.  As I see it, everyone should know certain elementary things.  Consider spawn points.  This is a very basic, yet crucial part of H1 and there is no excuse for not knowing them 100%.  Go around the maps on split screen, kill the spawner and mark the spawns with a rocket blast.  I learned them on the new map Downrush in about 10 minutes.  At a high level, the game is too complex to come to a LAN if you haven't taken any time on your own to learn the basics.  Nade tricks are another thing.  I have tons of gameplays posted on my youtube account (jwm03g) and I'm not the only one.  If you don't know how to blow down camo on Dammy, don't expect a lot of understanding from me.  You are to blame when your laziness and ignorance causes annoyance in others.  Being good at Halo is just like anything, you have to put time into it to be good. 

Another thing is that I generally do not get mad at failures to execute, as in, for example, when my noob partner misses 12 shots on a guy with no shield.  However, I go nuts when noobs are disobedient.  If an elite tells you not to port and you do, it will likely make him mad.  If he tells you to look left and you look right, you can expect to hear about it.  

Lastly, I'd like to invite you all to "the halo chat."  Three years ago, I sent out a mass facebook message inviting certain players to the first Beach LAN.  This chat has been going steady ever since with hundreds of thousands of messages with about 90 people contributing.  It is my understand that the chat has had the unintended consequence of killing some of the forum websites.  If any of you would like to be included, add me on FB: John Warren McKnight.  

You'll appreciate this, found in my archives of stuff:

I3djHjT.png

8 years ago, jeez. I still remember being impressed by that triple stick in dammy.

In a way it kind of sucks that people need to spend hours and hours playing by themselves, memorizing a dozen or so obscure nade points and over 100 spawn points across five maps (and positions for forced and randoms) before they are even capable of not getting yelled at, but at the same time I understand. I know all that stuff and its frustrating to play with someone who doesn't, but if they're already there and on your team yelling at them is just going to make them stop caring and not want to improve.

That said, it's a high-level event and expecting some level of competency is okay. But the reaction is very important no matter what and yelling or deriding people just never has a good effect.

• Upvote (+1) 3

After everyones posts I'm actually considering the drive...

There might be one spot left. Jump on it son.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In a way it kind of sucks that people need to spend hours and hours playing by themselves, memorizing a dozen or so obscure nade points and over 100 spawn points across five maps (and positions for forced and randoms) before they are even capable of not getting yelled at, but at the same time I understand. I know all that stuff and its frustrating to play with someone who doesn't, but if they're already there and on your team yelling at them is just going to make them stop caring and not want to improve.

I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.  I don't think it sucks that people can spend some time on their own learning a few basic things.  In contrast to the basics, most of the higher level stuff can only be learned in-game and against good competition.  So if a guy can become a much better player just by running around the maps on his own, that's good news for him.  I have put in that time and don't think it unreasonable to expect that others put in a little as well.  Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting that a player memorize "obscure nade points," but they should know the basic ones.  Also, without even making a conscious effort, they no doubt already know many of the spawn points, so it's not too tough to learn the rest of them.

Also, there are no spots left for BL3.  I think the count is at 42 now, which is just silly.  You're all invited to the next one.

Man I wish og1 could come back and play 2s with og2 against these people. Would love to see if anyone could beat them.

Dude I agree! It would be awesome to see them get some practice in and shake the rust off, and see the results of games against other top 2 man teams. I would personally like to see it just to see how the games would go because the way the game is played has progressed so much since the old days.

I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.  I don't think it sucks that people can spend some time on their own learning a few basic things.  In contrast to the basics, most of the higher level stuff can only be learned in-game and against good competition.  So if a guy can become a much better player just by running around the maps on his own, that's good news for him.  I have put in that time and don't think it unreasonable to expect that others put in a little as well.  Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting that a player memorize "obscure nade points," but they should know the basic ones.  Also, without even making a conscious effort, they no doubt already know many of the spawn points, so it's not too tough to learn the rest of them.

Also, there are no spots left for BL3.  I think the count is at 42 now, which is just silly.  You're all invited to the next one.

Oh I agree its awesome that you can do so much on your own I just think that they probably should just not play against people so many levels above them until they're ready. If for whatever reason they do end up in those games they're going to go -20 and make their partner frustrated so rather than take that frustration out on them with anger you can just teach and tell them to sit until they know what they need to know.

When I said obscure nade points I just meant that there is no red X to mark where that reticle needs to be. Nading camo from at least 2-3 spots, nading rocks back in chillly and nading snipe from red and blue in hh are definitely basics but its something you have to do a lot to remember exactly where to put the reticle and doing it wrong wastes precious time. That's really what I meant when I said obscure; it was worded poorly, I apologize.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why did the website go up to 48 slots?

Why did the website go up to 48 slots?

The number of slots does not necessarily represent the cap.  When I capped it, there were 40 slots, but already more than 40 people coming.  Also, there were a few players I said OK to because they are only coming for a day or two.  So I added another column to put all the names up.

Bump.

A few of the lads going are doing their best to make the stream as spectator friendly as possible, including multiple POV, timers, weapon timer guides, possibly web cams too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea props to Droid for bringing the stream setup and making a good layout (don't have the layout on me to show) but as of now it's being talked of to use 4 player screens or 2 players.  4 player screens will at least be used for the 4 Horsemen matches

Ogre2 seems pretty sure he'll be streaming as well. So stoked for non-stop CE action all week leading up to PAX!

Yea og2 is probably gonna use droids shit to stream

And cujjer said he might mess around with commentary when he isn't playing. Dunno about others

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea props to Droid for bringing the stream setup and making a good layout (don't have the layout on me to show) but as of now it's being talked of to use 4 player screens or 2 players.  4 player screens will at least be used for the 4 Horsemen matches

last I heard patch wasn't going :(

Looks like OG2 and a few others players are already at the Beach.  Stream should be fun as hell to watch

• Upvote (+1) 1