Teapot

Beach Lan 3 - Top tiered H1 LAN (VODs Now On YouTube!)

Also, you should make a thread purely for small LANs/tourneys that dont really warrant their own thread.

Is this only for top tier players?

I would legit think of going if it was otherwise...even if I'd just get stomped on all week.

Is this only for top tier players?

I would legit think of going if it was otherwise...even if I'd just get stomped on all week.

It's not just for top tier players, but I suggest reaching out to him before signing up regardless. If I go, I'll be getting stomped hard every single game. I know my randoms, my nade points, can time like the rest of them and even have a solid pistol but even I can't hold my own weight against most of these names. For some reason I can on derelict and battle creek, which must take less teamwork or something.

In fact, I would imagine they'd like a mixed group of players, especially those willing to learn. That's why I always got invited to the lans by me that had really good players. Although I wasn't up to par, they knew I took every game as a learning experience and that I was actively trying to improve. (I still haven't reached my skill cap imo)

Where are you located?

@@Cursed Lemon - sooo does this get your approval?

that is my go to youtube account next to jeenyus for h1 content....can't wait to see the gameplay from the Lan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not just for top tier players, but I suggest reaching out to him before signing up regardless. If I go, I'll be getting stomped hard every single game. I know my randoms, my nade points, can time like the rest of them and even have a solid pistol but even I can't hold my own weight against most of these names. For some reason I can on derelict and battle creek, which must take less teamwork or something.

In fact, I would imagine they'd like a mixed group of players, especially those willing to learn. That's why I always got invited to the lans by me that had really good players. Although I wasn't up to par, they knew I took every game as a learning experience and that I was actively trying to improve. (I still haven't reached my skill cap imo)

Where are you located?

@@Cursed Lemon - sooo does this get your approval?

Yea I know none of that. Just what little I've seen on youtube. I mean I'd have some time to learn and get my shot as best as I can playing wtih some friends. I just feel like this would be a crazy fun experience. I'm willing to learn as well.

I'm in Bowling Green Ohio finishing up school and will be home near Cleveland during the summer.

Here's an updated roster for the Beach LAN 3. I figured it would be a nice time to bump this with only one month to go.

Look out for community member @@Cujjer at the LAN. I wish I was able to go, but I traveled too much this year and am going back to Colorado the 2nd week of September. I can only hope that this continues to be a tradition, and I can maybe go down with Gazzo next year.

RSVP List:

1. McDick
  2. PhatBastrd
  3. Bonesaw
  4. Prime
  5. Words
  6. Harris
  7. Devilman
  8. Poonmaster

1.   Anomaly
  2. Gazzo
  3. Doughboy
  4. Jownz
  5. J2epTiLe
  6. Legend
  7. Cujjer
  8. C2

1. Dr. Montage
  2. Magus
  3. Mighty
  4. Hug0
  5. Poopy
  6. Trix
  7. Kush
  8. Donny

1. Killer
  2. [FS] VicToR
  3. Skillz
  4. Finny
  • Upvote (+1) 2

9674878_orig.jpg

(Yes.)

To be fair, the list wasn't as strong back then as it is now, but I was also basing that off of Beach LAN 2's attendance lol.

It sucks though.. I really really wanted to go to this two years in a row now. I must be crazy to pay $300 for hotel and whatever the price of a plane ticket is now to get yelled at for a week straight while probably forming an ulcer from the stress. Then again, they just don't make games that are good enough endure any elitism while improving.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair, the list wasn't as strong back then as it is now, but I was also basing that off of Beach LAN 2's attendance lol.

It sucks though.. I really really wanted to go to this two years in a row now. I must be crazy to pay $300 for hotel and whatever the price of a plane ticket is now to get yelled at for a week straight while probably forming an ulcer from the stress. Then again, they just don't make games that are good enough endure any elitism while improving.

While I have my criticisms over the Halo 1 atmosphere when it comes to newbies, a lifetime of sitting on a hockey bench has made me practically invulnerable to chirping, so I'd love to be able to make a go of it at something like this. Unfortunately I am busy the whole month of August...with absolutely nothing having happened in July and nothing on the books in September. :[ Tragic. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I have my criticisms over the Halo 1 atmosphere when it comes to newbies, a lifetime of sitting on a hockey bench has made me practically invulnerable to chirping, so I'd love to be able to make a go of it at something like this. Unfortunately I am busy the whole month of August...with absolutely nothing having happened in July and nothing on the books in September. :[ Tragic. 

I stayed clear of the last discussion on the H1 community but I'll brush over it now. I think it's unfortunate that certain players choose to act the way they do, especially against or with new players. Specifically with, but there's such a good group of people out there who are willing to teach and help players learn everything they know. I think Patch and Harris's reputations stick out farther and are more known than the random players who are more friendly, which is sad.

I play dead competitive games almost exclusively. Every community as a whole is honestly rather shitty. Lots of elitism and almost emphasis on helping create new players to compete in these matches. However, I seem to have a completely different outlook than most. I get made fun of for "babying" new players, telling them they better than they are, and have people tell me my way of teaching won't help anyone improve like they should. They feel the best way for these guys to improve is to get beat down hard until they learn how to fight back.

It makes no sense to me but thats how I view the Halo CE elitists. They have over a decade of experience, but they can freak out on their partner for not knowing to random the health pack on CO who has been playing for only a year. You're getting mad at someone who has 10% of your experience, in which that 10% is most likely up against players whose skill is so low, it really doesn't prepare you for anything. It's the same way in Monday Night Combat and Shadowrun. We've figured it out after 4+ years for Monday Night Combat, and 7 years for Shadowrun. I consistently have to yell at these elitists who scream at the top of their lungs when a player with 2 weeks to 2 months under his belt loses focus.

Regardless, a player needs to have thick skin despite the community if they want to improve in any game. However for these LANs, it shouldn't matter unless they're money matches. Also, this has probably been the best possible Halo CE LAN to go to the last few years. I know Ogre 2 had his, but these take the cake for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, I'm glad someone else agrees with me that there is, in fact, a toxic element to the H1 community. Whether or not it's the majority (which as it stands right now would probably add up to a grand total of 25 people) is impossible to say, but I've been maintaining that the influx of new blood with the release of MCC will do wonders to opening up people to the game, as they'll be able to learn on their own terms which I think is important, if not necessary. 

It's also a bad thing to only have one locus of activity for H1, because if you're dissatisfied with the way things are like I am, there's literally nowhere else you can go. It doesn't help that XBC is just a terrible medium. 

Things will only get better from here on out. That's the important thing. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, I'm glad someone else agrees with me that there is, in fact, a toxic element to the H1 community. Whether or not it's the majority (which as it stands right now would probably add up to a grand total of 25 people) is impossible to say, but I've been maintaining that the influx of new blood with the release of MCC will do wonders to opening up people to the game, as they'll be able to learn on their own terms which I think is important, if not necessary. 

It's also a bad thing to only have one locus of activity for H1, because if you're dissatisfied with the way things are like I am, there's literally nowhere else you can go. It doesn't help that XBC is just a terrible medium. 

*disclaimer* - you'll rarely get a few sentences out of me...

I stand strongly by my philosophy on how to teach others and get them to improve, but like I said I'm a minority within various communities that feel their way of leading by example is the best way to teach. I repeat this because the difference between the two opinions seem extreme to me. So I'm absolutely not shocked if the Halo CE community as whole does not feel as it is toxic. I'm not involved with the Halo CE community as much as I was two years ago, or in 07-09, so things can change. However, when I call out specific people for their elitism and rage towards new players, they either flat out deny it even though it happened 5 seconds ago, or they defend their rage based of that players performance. I understand being upset, but you either have a brain and realize that if you want someone to improve you need to show them how, or you demoralize them to the point where they don't feel like improving or even trying for that matter. Even if they enjoy competitive gaming, they don't enjoy these competitive verbal beat-downs.

I'm going off on a rant here cause it's what I've dealt with for the last few years, with one person specifically being the worst I've ever heard. Flat out makes numerous specific death wishes onto players and their families because he's so caught up in his rage in the moment. While the CE community might now be like that exactly, I do notice the similarities in how criticism is given, especially in games where a teammates decision and performance helps to open doors for you.

Back on topic a bit, but I too think we can only improve the community at this point. The usual cases won't change, so I think it'd be a good idea to start pushing figureheads in the community that are a bit more professional or friendly. I think the more we dismiss the elitism from top players, (like literally brush and laugh at it) and feature things like Missigno's tutorials, other players guides ETC. I know for sure that I'll be creating an Adopt A Noob thread that's been done before, and I'm sure with players like TSP, Cujjer, Akademik, etc these players would be more than willing to give some help. I'm not talking about lessons, but I think a lot of the middle tiered players (no offense to anyone that isn't top tiered) will be more beneficial in helping the community grow than anything. I agree with the XBC comment too. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some people like being king of their tiny island oasis, is what it ultimately comes down to I think. 

For the record, I've always associated the H1 "scene", specifically, with this kind of behavior, rather than broadstroking across everyone who still plays H1. 

You, cT, Bonesaw, Jeenyus, Missingno, and a few others I know are exceptionally well-mannered and probably very fun to play with (if I ever got the chance to play anymore). But most of the time there's this core of guys with a giant chip on their shoulder than run a lot of the get-togethers and just ruin everything for everyone except themselves...which I feel is why, for all our grandstanding about how fucking outstanding H1 is, we never got anyone new interested.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In person everyone gets a long at lans, with the h1 community its been like that forever since 2002 days on forums. But majority are real friendly in person and I have never seen any clear disrespect to another person. Its more just friends busting each others balls, now on forums and xbc yeah h1 community are bad lol.

In the 10 plus years ive been involved with h1 community so many talk about fighting at a lan over xbc or forums but in person has never happened once. Well except form mlg clap getting into an altercation with gst strong back in 2004 haha.

There is an elites-ism with halo1 top players that's undeniable but I have never seen it at and event or lan and I have laned with every top player in past 10 years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ill try and make a big write up after the lan hopefully with pictures.

Whenever a player i did not recognise would join a room on xbc even if they stated they did not time i would always offer advise and give them a chance to play and everytime the experience is the same, they will play 1 maybe 2 games then quit. You wanna know how many of those players i spent my time to help came back and played on another occasion? not one. Me being nice, teaching new people and just being generally encouraging doesnt change the fact that halo 1 is hard. Being nice to someone doesnt change the fact that off host XBC is one of the most difficult learning environments in gaming nor does it help someones self esteem after you offer to switch hosts and they still get outpistoled by someone on 70 ping.

A player that is going to end up sticking with the game will not be stopped due to the attitude of a couple of the players in the game. Im not going to waste my time anymore helping people who will not help themselves. My time is wasted and in the end i just get burned.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whenever a player i did not recognise would join a room on xbc even if they stated they did not time i would always offer advise and give them a chance to play and everytime the experience is the same, they will play 1 maybe 2 games then quit. You wanna know how many of those players i spent my time to help came back and played on another occasion? not one. Me being nice, teaching new people and just being generally encouraging doesnt change the fact that halo 1 is hard. Being nice to someone doesnt change the fact that off host XBC is one of the most difficult learning environments in gaming nor does it help someones self esteem after you offer to switch hosts and they still get outpistoled by someone on 70 ping.

A player that is going to end up sticking with the game will not be stopped due to the attitude of a couple of the players in the game. Im not going to waste my time anymore helping people who will not help themselves. My time is wasted and in the end i just get burned.

That'd be awesome. I wish there was a stronger forum presence for the Halo CE community, and I hope they can stream some of these games. I know McDick records the majority of it though so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

edit:

The rest though is debatable and I guess situation. I'll do my best to explain. I agree that the players you are teaching really have to want to learn, but I don't see how it's possible to think that a player will never give up on a game he loves due to the attitudes of the minority. When you have a small community, that minority really isn't that much of a minority anymore. I also understand players need to have thick skin and not take anything personally if they want to improve. I've been lucky enough to receive about a dozen of those players throughout the 4 years I've introduced people to MNC. I've introduced tons more, but almost all have left the game completely, and almost all of them can attribute it directly to the community and usually it's the same 3 people. I'd say one person had raged hard enough to make 20+ people quit the game. A game they enjoyed because it's fun, deep, versatile, original, competitive, and can be funny. However, like CE, your characters success greatly comes from having teammates that know what they're supposed to be doing. Once competitive communities are tiny, I think their attitude plays a large factor in getting any possible growth within a dead game. Which honestly, is what we're all striving for, and if you're not, I think it's fair to say you're more interested in being a god a great game than you are interested in playing for the love of the game or community.

I think that's why Shadowrun had varied in terms of competitive success over the last couple years. Lots of elitism there, and a rather hostile community, which is fine in tournament settings and within a community that already knows each other. However, that attitude turned anyone else away willing to learn. Once it died down, a pub player had created a site and tried to expand. He did a good job of bringing attention to Shadowrun, but wasn't great at the game and didn't offer much for new players. Then a group of like 6-8 players decided to revive the game themselves. Word spread and they had a mixture of like 14 kids to rotate into private matches, but nobody was a good community leader, and there was still no effort to expand. Finally another top player returned to revive it himself. Reaxtion comes in after the group of 14 had all moved on, and managed to make the biggest come back for the game since. We had a full Shadowrun Private Match list, had two lobbies of privates going at the same time, had some tournaments, and even had a couple streams up at the same time. Why? That guy is a true leader. Not just community but team-wise too. Having a figurehead like that can absolutely effect your community, while having players make death wishes to people will also effect the community. I just don't see how community attitude doesn't come into play.

After talking to CL, I realized the MNC and CE community are sorta similar, but also have differences. I think the differences reflect why I tend to "baby" new players. You need 4 people to play 2v2s, we need 12 people to do 6v6s. With an already small community, if you have 12 on and we have 12 on, you can most likely play for a while, sub out players or play a completely different team and keep it fresh. For MNC, there's a number of things wrong with the menu and custom options for the game that make it a bitch to set up and maintain, so games take forever, series take forever, and when one person leaves, we have to wait forever to find a replacement. We wouldn't if the community wasn't driven off by poor attitudes, or if the numbers were there to the point where making someone rage quit didn't effect the community.

Can someone tell me how to use spoilers on this site? We're discussing things in the CE community which lead me to compare similar communities and it's pretty off topic. I'd rather not delete the posts but want to also keep the clutter out.

It's probably like this [spoiler) [/spoiler)

Replace the ) with ]

test

Thank you.  The attitudes of top tier players is not the reason new people do not enjoy Halo CE.  I'd say a good majority of people who play Halo started with Halo CE, but were either very young or just never got into the competitive side of things due to the lack of online play, XBC aside, as well as other factors.  Then Halo 2 comes out, with XBL, with the ranking system, and that's where most people really fell in love with Halo.  That's where the competitive scene took off in a more public domain.  So when people come back to Halo CE they're expecting the game they played with their neighbors 13 years ago.  They've never heard of timing, or nade tricks, or ever bothered to learn spawns.  They try to apply their knowledge of Halo which usually stems from Halo 2 and beyond and quickly find out that line of play doesn't work as well in CE.  So they get frustrated and quit, why bother right?  If they really want to learn the game they're not going to quit because some random name on XBC booted them from their lobby because they said "What's timing?" when they joined the lobby.

If people really want to learn the game, I promise you, there are many many players that would be more than willing to help you, just don't waste their time, because believe it or not, we want our community to grow!  Because we know the game we're playing is the most skillful and purest Halo game (objectively) there is and we want nothing more than for other people to see that.  I shouldn't be speaking for everyone, but I think its safe to say.  It's okay to get frustrated, it's okay to not know how to do something, but don't just write the game off because you're no good at it.  If you love Halo I promise you, you won't find a more timeless experience than Halo CE 2v2 on LAN.

Dude, FS victor on the RSVP list? I know that post was a while ago, but you wouldn't happen to know if he still talks to Hali would you? I haven't talked to Hali since the days of MySpace

Dude, FS victor on the RSVP list? I know that post was a while ago, but you wouldn't happen to know if he still talks to Hali would you? I haven't talked to Hali since the days of MySpace

Off topic sorry but you wrecked me (Pablo D) in the anniversary classic playlist the other day. Hey :p

#creepin

Like the Halo 2 Hali that beat Strongside and Ogre 2 in his first top 8 appearance at Anaheim 06?

Exactly where I've stood since 2003 till now. People will literally ignore you face to face because they don't want to tell you how they went instant camo. 

Fuck elitists. I'm not driving 7 hours to be surrounded by them.

Shadowrun...

...You need 4 people to play 2v2s, we need 12 people to do 6v6s.

Has Shadowrun moved onto 6v6 instead of 4v4?  I'd always thought that 6v6 was the best way to play and it always annoyed me that the Halo community thought that 4v4 was the best option "just because."