CyReN

Destiny Discussion

Shouldn't have dismantled it >.< it was one of the exotics that bungie specifically mentioned needing a buff

Yeah read that.  They didn't announce that until after I dismantled it.  Whatever.

Ghosts is down too. Asshole DDoSers.

ok that explains it. Thought my xbox was just being dumb. hopefully it will be back up in a bit

I am lucky to have come across this thread. I am no longer tempted to get Destiny.

The game is great but just so many things that could be done better -.-

The game is great but just so many things that could be done better -.-

Every aspect of the game is 10/10 but... <- insert massive flaw here that somewhat ruins it and drags it all down to 6-8/10 at best. Best way to describe nearly everything in the game.

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/70895980/0/0

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2hqmkb/how_destinys_content_completely_changed_over_the/

Here is a forum post on Bungie that is trending where a supposed Bungie employee who won't identify himself was answering questions on an AMA on Reddit. Cliffs are in the OP on the bungie link. I can't say if this is true but his responses seem to be respectful and honest.

I'm not sure what happened with the development of this game but I know for a fact this wasn't the game we were supposed to be getting. There must have been more to it then they originally wanted.

Edited: Updated OP with reddit link as well

A lot of good info there.

Yeah I enjoyed the read a lot. Most of it seems to hold true when you think about how the game was released. 

I refuse to believe this was the product Bungie wanted shipped out. Something went wrong and it went wrong badly during development.

Once you sign a contract, you are now under the umbrella of Activision, and if I had to make a guess as to what happened, I would say that Activision read the original script, and decided it needed to be "expanded". In other words, it needed to be broken into pieces in order to place more of it on DLC for purchase. It's very possible that Staten did not agree with this, while the rest of Bungie wanted to make this game, and that led to Staten's departure and the ultimate rewrites that we see today.

I would bet money says that the parts of this story that are "missing" will resurface in the DLC packs coming out.

This guy on reddit put it perfectly, I find it hard to believe Staten would of left for any other reason mid-development if it wasn't because there was major conflict over the direction of the story internally or if Activision wanted to "break up" segments of the story to sell for DLC and change it to make it "more accessible" to your average action shooter fan. Then it seems once he left, Bungie was forced to abid by Activision's plan for the story and they were forced to change the story all together and cut alot of the lore, characters, factions, and missions that were originally planned.

It REALLY pains me that I was right in thinking they were originally planning for a much grander and more epic MMO-type Space-fantasy FPS, and alot of those MMO elements and social interaction mechanics were cut due to this fiasco. I totally believed in the original vision for the game we saw in the 2013 Vidoc, it must be very hard for some Bungie devs to see their vision butchered like that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel I should note that DeeJ the community manager for Bungie claimed this was a troll.

I feel I should note that DeeJ the community manager for Bungie claimed this was a troll.

Yea I saw that. I don't believe DeeJ at all.

Bungie won't admit to any of this until Destiny 2 is about to come out. Then they'll put a positive spin on it like "we just couldn't fit all of our expansive ideas into just a single game!" Or some bullshit like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This guy on reddit put it perfectly, I find it hard to believe Staten would of left for any other reason mid-development if it wasn't because there was major conflict over the direction of the story internally or if Activision wanted to "break up" segments of the story to sell for DLC and change it to make it "more accessible" to your average action shooter fan. Then it seems once he left, Bungie was forced to abid by Activision's plan for the story and they were forced to change the story all together and cut alot of the lore, characters, factions, and missions that were originally planned.

It REALLY pains me that I was right in thinking they were originally planning for a much grander and more epic MMO-type Space-fantasy FPS, and alot of those MMO elements and social interaction mechanics were cut due to this fiasco. I totally believed in the original vision for the game we saw in the 2013 Vidoc, it must be very hard for some Bungie devs to see their vision butchered like that.

Yeah man it actually made me a little sad reading everything. I feel like Bungie just didn't get the thumbs up to execute and create the game they really wanted.

Feel bad for Bungie, first it was Microsoft, then it's this shit.

I can't imagine how epic the original vision could've been.

But of course..money always comes first....

Feel bad for Bungie, first it was Microsoft, then it's this shit.

I can't imagine how epic the original vision could've been.

But of course..money always comes first....

First it was Microsoft? The way I remember it is that Bungie decided to leave Microsoft once their contract was over which was to put out one last Halo game. Halo: Reach was all Bungie's idea. And it fucking sucked. 

To me, Bungie has lost everything that once made them the best game developer. This is the second time in a row now that they've fucked over their fans big time. And I don't care if Activision put pressure on them. Bungie signed with them. It was Bungie's choice. They had 5 years to develop this game. 5 years! And from what circumstantial evidence has been gathered, it was the last year of their development that fell apart after Joe Staten left. That's completely unacceptable. So personally I don't feel bad for Bungie at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is the second time in a row now that they've fucked over their fans big time.

4th (or even 5th) depending on who you ask.

Anyway, it's not entirely fair to push all the blame on to the developers in a situation like this - without a big publisher big games simply don't happen. The only way it ever really works out for both parties is if the developer and publisher are the same entity such as with Epic.

I would take that with a grain of salt, of course they dont want this kind of info to be believed 

k well my roommate decided he's getting an xbox one + destiny, so I guess I'll be giving this game a fair chance lol

Destiny really ought to track (I guess show) your wins and losses and your overall win/loss percentage. I mean, come on, even Reach did that.

First it was Microsoft? The way I remember it is that Bungie decided to leave Microsoft once their contract was over which was to put out one last Halo game. Halo: Reach was all Bungie's idea. And it fucking sucked. 

To me, Bungie has lost everything that once made them the best game developer. This is the second time in a row now that they've fucked over their fans big time. And I don't care if Activision put pressure on them. Bungie signed with them. It was Bungie's choice. They had 5 years to develop this game. 5 years! And from what circumstantial evidence has been gathered, it was the last year of their development that fell apart after Joe Staten left. That's completely unacceptable. So personally I don't feel bad for Bungie at all. 

The only people who should be feeling bad are the consumers. We are not playing the game we thought we were getting. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The reward system at the end of Crucible matches is really starting to piss me off. Played skirmish and went 28-4 and lost, my two teammates both got rare engrams and one got an exotic hand cannon, for going 3-15. SERIOUSLY COME ON BUNGIE