CyReN

Destiny Discussion

Haven't seen much activity in here, so...

First impressions?

@@Moa is probably 12 hours in so after another 12 hours and then he goes to sleep and wakes up he'll give you the lowdown

Lol I'm gonna try to play a bit this week and weekend

Still don't like the weapon system and I hate this "You only get to use Dawnblade right now" nonsense, but otherwise D2 is a solid improvement over D1 in pretty much every other area.

Only played a few missions and adventures last night but I'm liking it so far. More story in the first few missions/cut scenes than you get out of the entire original D1 campaign. The weapon tuning feels significantly improved from the beta, at least in PvE as I didn't play any beta PvP.

The new directory system is light years better than D1. Even shows you where and when public events will be occurring.

I did have some flashbacks to the horrors of the MCC launch with the "something went wrong" message that displayed for the first 5 minutes of attempting to launch the game, followed by almost 10 minutes of waiting in their server queue. But once I got in everything ran smoothly and there were no issues that I noticed game/connectivity wise.

Only played a few missions and adventures last night but I'm liking it so far. More story in the first few missions/cut scenes than you get out of the entire original D1 campaign. The weapon tuning feels significantly improved from the beta, at least in PvE as I didn't play any beta PvP.

The new directory system is light years better than D1. Even shows you where and when public events will be occurring.

I did have some flashbacks to the horrors of the MCC launch with the "something went wrong" message that displayed for the first 5 minutes of attempting to launch the game, followed by almost 10 minutes of waiting in their server queue. But once I got in everything ran smoothly and there were no issues that I noticed game/connectivity wise.

I'm just impressed Bungie actually implemented a login queue system with clear messaging. So many console games overlook doing so and then then fans have a bad launch day experience. 

Looking for people to run around with, just started playing after work so I'm only level 6 or 7. GT: Detenn

@@Moa is probably 12 hours in so after another 12 hours and then he goes to sleep and wakes up he'll give you the lowdown

Lol I'm gonna try to play a bit this week and weekend

I played about 13 hours straight, slept for three hours and I've been playing ever since.

I'm fucking addicted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just finished the campaign! Great campaign! Can't wait for the Heroic version. Gonna grind some more tomorrow and hit 300LL.

Has anyone else not received their Kill Tracker, Coldheart, or any of the preorder DLC? I've reached Level 20, and completed the campaign. I've tried re downloading, but that didn't work either.

How is the multiplayer? Same cheap, gimmicky gameplay as the first?

Slow. All the abilities are weak and on slow recharge. Weapons are weaker too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, that part sounds good to me.

Eh pick your poison. Destiny 1 you were strong, you could take on an entire team. But the abilities were obnoxious.

D2 tried to get rid of everything obnoxious or nerfed them into the ground. Blink, shoulder charge is worthless, grenades are pretty bad, guns across the board are weak, no special weapons (2 primaries), and heavy ammo only to one person.

You either are strong and put up with annoying shit or play another team shot game. I personally prefer d1

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh pick your poison. Destiny 1 you were strong, you could take on an entire team. But the abilities were obnoxious.

D2 tried to get rid of everything obnoxious or nerfed them into the ground. Blink, shoulder charge is worthless, grenades are pretty bad, guns across the board are weak, no special weapons (2 primaries), and heavy ammo only to one person.

You either are strong and put up with annoying shit or play another team shot game. I personally prefer d1

There's actually quite a bit of rock paper scissors with the gun play too. Its very dependent on exactly how far someone is away. The aim assist/recoil/damage drop off is a BIG fucking deal in this game. Also idc what anyone says spraying someone down with an AR swapping to SMG spraying two more down and using the hunter evade to auto reload and killing their last teammate is hilarious because it feels like you have infinite ammo.

How is the multiplayer? Same cheap, gimmicky gameplay as the first?

Mediocre. It's like going from CE to vanilla Reach. Everything feels like it's designed to promote team-shooting to the extreme and the skill cap on an individual player is pretty hard. Granted, I haven't found any decent gear/weapons yet, so that might change, but as is, it sucks.

I was hoping that by nerfing the cheap gimmicks, that D2 would be more competitive, with the focus being on gunplay, but I guess not? It'd be great to have a new shooter to play without gimmicks and just being able to have shootouts with your opponents, similar to classic Halo.

Scout rifles FTW... was playing a match on Midtown last night and got a quick Triple kill at range. It's super hard to take on multiple opponents though... seems like any decent multi-kills are entirely situational and dependent on team pushes.

As you guys have said, rock-paper-scissors gun-play in MP... every time you win a 1v1 it's like you're 1-2 shots from death. Kind of annoying in that regard...

As for the story/campaign though, I don't really play many video games besides Halo, and a few racing and sports games on occasion. I've dabbled with Siege and played my fair share of D1... but D2 so far, it's probably the most fun I've had with a Campaign mode since the OG Halo trilogy. It's hard to explain why, but the presentation just feels so much better this time around and the game actually has a plot. Gorgeous graphics and locales... the gameplay is obviously great. I played a solid 6-8 hours straight last night.

Bungie's still got it... the game is addicting. Just my brief impressions and/or "review" so far...

Supremacy is the worst gametype still. LOL

I think the greatest downfall of D2 right now in PvP is that holding hands and just running around all over each other as a team is WAY too strong. Its even worse because the only thing that can stop you is an ult or rockets for the most part and the game points out to you when absolutely anyone has any of the above. Grenades and guns need to do more damage and nades specifically need to charge even faster. If they want it to be teamshot oriented sure that's fine but people shouldn't be rewarded for literally standing on top of each other. The only reason that doesn't work well in Halo all the time is the availability of grenades.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I prefer Destiny 2's PvP over Destiny 1's PvP, and don't really see a problem with it.

tenor.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1