Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Overwatch Discussion

This game needs an aim smoothing toggle like doom has.

Fantastic game all around outside sluggish console aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Actually in the right hands she can do pretty well at objective work.  If you watch the top PC teams play KOTH they all use two tracers.  Personally I did a lot of objective work with her, sure she can't tank it all by herself... But she can get in and out, cause some havoc, and in overtime she can get in the hill quickly to stall for reinforcements. 

Pretty much any class can counter her.  I don't have much problem with Winston, but Hanzo, Widowmaker, Mei, and Soldier all give me trouble.

I don't have a problem with winston personally, but when I play winston i kill a lot of tracers because I can leap and cut them off. I use tracer for obj and back line disruption. That is what she seems to be designed for. That being getting in and out of shit storms and confusing people.

How do people feel about having some slight variations between console and PC? I'm not opposed to the idea but I do think it should stay the same. Monday Night Combat ended up having some differences between the two in terms of character balance. The sniper in that game is incredibly hard to use and by default has I believe 8 bullets in it. On PC, since people don't miss they had to limit it to 4 bullets which I believe helped. Kinda not the best example.

Anyway, I'd be fine with some tweaks. Apparently Torbjorn's turret will do extra damage when a mercy is healing Torb.. interesting mechanic but I don't think that is needed and wonder if it's intentional. I'd rather mercy have to physically buff the turret itself. I'd be fine with Tracer's blink ability having a slightly longer cool down. Even just one second for each blink. I know it's a squishy class already but I find it's a little too easy to get away from people and then it takes no time to get those blinks back up.

I'd like to see some nerfs to McCrees ultimate. Keep it powerful and keep the auto aim but I'd like to see the time limit reduced, despite it already being fast. I'd rather see something of that power and ease to require excellent timing. I think Hanzo's ultimate should deal significantly less damage if it travels through walls. To be honest, I'm not sure if this already happens but it doesn't feel like it. I've seen Hanzo get multikills from within the spawn by firing the ult in the direction of the payload. I dislike Solider's ultimate just because it's an easy lock on feature, but I don't know how I'd change it personally. I main pharah and think the class is pretty decently balanced, but I'd be fine with weakening the characters ultimate.

I'd have to think about some buffs for the characters. Right now all I can think of is I'd like to see symmetras projectiles do more damage considering how slow they are. Maybe buff the shield she gives allies by 25 points but that's not too important.

I really enjoyed the balance of this game, I just had some issues with ultimates that I found to be annoying.

This game needs an aim smoothing toggle like doom has.

Fantastic game all around outside sluggish console aiming.

this. hopefully it was just a beta issue

this. hopefully it was just a beta issue

It was 100% intentional and it isn't changing. I love the game and all but I wish Blizzard didn't go as far down the "accessibility" route as much as they did. Until Blizzard makes a playlist without ults, I don't see this game being taken seriously in terms of competitive merit. Also, popularity =/= merit. I'll play and enjoy the game but Blizzard needs to get a little more guts with design decisions if they want Overwatch to get the esports recognition they want.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was 100% intentional and it isn't changing. I love the game and all but I wish Blizzard didn't go as far down the "accessibility" route as much as they did. Until Blizzard makes a playlist without ults, I don't see this game being taken seriously in terms of competitive merit. Also, popularity =/= merit. I'll play and enjoy the game but Blizzard needs to get a little more guts with design decisions if they want Overwatch to get the esports recognition they want.

Meh, people are lining up to play this game competitive. Fnatic, nV, Cloud9 already have teams ready for launch with leagues getting ready to support. Hearthstone, League and Call of Duty are all in the top lineup of esports, I see no problem with Overwatch fitting in with developer support and a few choice decisions on how the gametypes are played out.

Meh, people are lining up to play this game competitive. Fnatic, nV, Cloud9 already have teams ready for launch with leagues getting ready to support. Hearthstone, League and Call of Duty are all in the top lineup of esports, I see no problem with Overwatch fitting in with developer support and a few choice decisions on how the gametypes are played out.

Like I said, popularity =/= competitive merit. Of course they're lining up to play this game because they know they'll be money in it. I never said that wasn't going to happen. I'm still going to play and enjoy Overwatch but I just wish Blizzard would make a few different design choices and Overwatch can go much farther in terms of esports recognition.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like I said, popularity =/= competitive merit. Of course they're lining up to play this game because they know they'll be money in it. I never said that wasn't going to happen. I'm still going to play and enjoy Overwatch but I just wish Blizzard would make a few different design choices and Overwatch can go much farther in terms of esports recognition.

I honestly don't see where this recognition is coming from. The comp popularity will come and stay, not even in spite of ults, the game is designed with all this janky dragon firing, wall hacking, auto aiming shit in mind. It's fun as fuck they're obviously not going to change that.

Some characters wouldn't seem to be nearly as usable without their ults.  Almost as if their entire character is about getting the ult and then dominating in spurts.   But maybe that's just me and my experience with certain characters I suck at.

I honestly don't see where this recognition is coming from. The comp popularity will come and stay, not even in spite of ults, the game is designed with all this janky dragon firing, wall hacking, auto aiming shit in mind. It's fun as fuck they're obviously not going to change that.

The lack of recongination is the exact thing I'm talking about. And of course the competitive will come and go, it's how long it lasts is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Blizzard is going to do this just that if they did, who knows how competitively great it could be.

All ults have counters and the better the players, the harder they become to use effectively. 

There's really nothing wrong with them. McCree's ult, for example, is laughably easy to avoid. It's the passive ults that are going to flourish in competitive play, such as wall hack. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The lack of recongination is the exact thing I'm talking about. And of course the competitive will come and go, it's how long it lasts is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Blizzard is going to do this just that if they did, who knows how competitively great it could be.

I'm sure they will refine the game and change some things, I just don't see them changing the core of the game to appease a small subset of what is likely to be a large competitive population. I get what you're saying, if you go by the letter of the law there are quite a few mechanics that are textbook 'anti-competitive'; RNG bullet spread, arrow bullet magnetism, multiple wallhacks, theatrical seemingly overpowered ults etc. However, having said that I don't see these at the current time damaging the scale or longevity of competitive scene for the game because a) it's fun as fuck and b) it's hyped as fuck.

It's the same thing with CSGO, if you talk to most people who play the game to any decent level they'll tell you how first bullet RNG is bad for the game or how the overpowered pistol meta makes parts of the game a cluster fuck. Then ask them;

Q "How long have you played on the game then?"

A "A few years, thousands of hours..."

Q "You want to play right now?"

A "Absolutely"

The competitive community will be around as long as the general population is around, I think Blizzard is ready to keep this hype train rolling with cosmetics / new additions / game improvements learning from the other big esports. Just saw this morning TSM is already looking for players to pick up, the game is picking up momentum before it's even out and has all the tools necessary to capitalize on it. The only potential roadblock they could stumble on IMO is finding the right structure to gametypes so they work in a way that is both entertaining to play and also entertaining to watch. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

May, or may have not swapped my days at work so i can have a good full 2 days gaming Overwatch on release. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pharah mains/players, how do you guys play her?

Usually you're going to want to post up on something and just bomb people at/around the objective. If there is a good widowmaker you do not want to be flying around like an idiot. Outside of that though you're pretty free to harass and float around killing the other team. Use your E to move yourself out of bad spots if/when they take interest in you. A lot of people make the mistake of just flying out in the open but being near cover or some type of escape is super important. Good players will light you up just flying around. Using your E to push yourself back and into cover quickly is a great thing to start teaching yourself. Its basically like thrust. I pretty much only play Pharah/Widowmaker/Mei now and nothing is easier to snipe than Pharah flying, Reaper using his teleport, and McCree using his ult.  

Usually you're going to want to post up on something and just bomb people at/around the objective. If there is a good widowmaker you do not want to be flying around like an idiot. Outside of that though you're pretty free to harass and float around killing the other team. Use your E to move yourself out of bad spots if/when they take interest in you. A lot of people make the mistake of just flying out in the open but being near cover or some type of escape is super important. Good players will light you up just flying around. Using your E to push yourself back and into cover quickly is a great thing to start teaching yourself. Its basically like thrust. I pretty much only play Pharah/Widowmaker/Mei now and nothing is easier to snipe than Pharah flying, Reaper using his teleport, and McCree using his ult.  

Thats basically how I played her, maybe a tad more defensive and rocket spammy but that was because I had to due to running the game at 10fps on my potato lol but I played her like a good player uses jetpack in Reach/H4 for the most part. Posting up somewhere, taking advantage of LoS/angles, controlling space, being a nuisance. There was certainly a few times where I'd fly in aggressively with priority targets in mind but it was basically as a distraction to open up a weakpoint for my team to take advantage of.