Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Overwatch Discussion

Honestly, this game is so full of stupid bullshit, it's unreal.

​Genji has a standard ability that can reflect almost anything at the press of a button, with no skill or timing required. Meanwhile, McCree's mostly shit dodge roll has the same cool down time. Logic.

Mei is obnoxious in every way imaginable. Chain freeze, ridiculously generous SNIPER alt fire, armor lock/regen field get out of jail free card, insta-freeze ult with a blast radius a mile wide.

I mostly like Roadhog, because he's one of the more impactful characters (in a game mostly about team composition, team shot, and breaking stalemates with nukes), and yet his shotgun is RNG-based. Half the time, you don't even kill the squishy fucking healing characters you're SUPPOSED to be picking off because it seemingly just decides that the pellets need to spread AROUND them. Outplayed.

​The advantage of shooting skill-oriented characters is marginal and you might as well just use Call of Duty 76, who can spray and pray, run away, heal himself, and turn on an aim bot for his ult.

​Hanzo's standard fire is beyond generous, but if you can't hit with that, just use scatter arrow. He has a wall-hack as a standard ability (lol Widowmaker) and his ultimate has no clip enabled.

Reinhardt and Mercy are pointless, mind-numbingly boring characters that add nothing interesting to the game at all.

Bastion literally exists solely to sit in a corner and surprise melt you from half-way across the map, which seems to be only really useful for pub-stomping.

The list continues.

For the first few weeks I hated the game, because I approached it like I would approach any FPS. Trying to out-shoot people, flank them, call out and overall relying on skills I acquired playing Halo/TF/BF/CS. If course I got rekt at any opportunity

But only once I realized that OW isn't really an FPS but more an ability simulator like LoL in 1st person I started having fun. You have to play with other people you know and coordinate pushes to do anything in this game. People hate on Halos post H2 for the stale teamshot meta, well in Overwatch you literally can't to jack shit without a teammate holding your hand. If you can't acept that OW isn't the game for you. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

How dare I have issues with the greatest, most perfectly balanced MOBA shooter of all time?!

How dare you talk about Reinhardt like that. 

Might be the most important character in the game across all ranks and if you duo que with someone that will play Ana, the most effective as well.

You've missed my point entirely in favor of trying to "correct" me. I understand the Reinhardt is on literally fucking every decent team. That is the problem. The meta is uninteresting enough without a character so ridiculously effective at his role that you basically HAVE to pick him. And then on top of that, his very nature slows down team fights even more (as one would expect with the ability to absorb shitloads of damage with a giant shield) and he is boring as all hell the play. I pity Reinhardt mains. The game overall would be more interesting without him. Same with Mercy and her completely moronic "free team fight reset" ultimate.

Not to mention all the other flaws in your breakdown.

This statement would be much less amusing if your rebuttals were good. Instead, most of them don't even directly address what I said.

A great McCree absolutely dumps on a great soldier because of his ability to quickly kill people.

Ahahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha. McCree has EXACTLY one real advantage over Soldier: his weapon can output a bit more damage in ideal circumstances and with good aim. He has vastly worse mobility (mediocre dodge roll with 8 second cool down lmfao), he can't self heal, his flash bang sucks, his alternate fire is trash compared to helix rocket, and his ultimate is pretty much the worst in the game. But yeah, if you hit all of your shots with one of the least forgiving weapons in the game (that Blizzard keeps nerfing), he can do more DPS. Astounding.

Roadhog is completely consistent after the changes to his hook and even before there was ways to consistently one shot the same heros, it just took practice.

I didn't say anything about his hook. I was talking about his SHOTGUN.

Mei is easily countered by even a sliver of teamwork and really is only good on 2 CP maps.

This doesn't address what I said at all and is basically a glorified "git gud." If she was so easy to counter, she wouldn't be used at high levels at all. And I know you aren't playing at high levels.

Bastion has a rework coming out soon.

And the relevance of this to the generally shittiness of Bastion from beta and launch until now is...? Right. Nothing. He doesn't become a well designed character by virtue of upcoming changes that have not been outlined in any way.

And those are just quick and easy rebuttals to half the things you said.

lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

For the first few weeks I hated the game, because I approached it like I would approach any FPS. Trying to out-shoot people, flank them, call out and overall relying on skills I acquired playing Halo/TF/BF/CS. If course I got rekt at any opportunity

But only once I realized that OW isn't really an FPS but more an ability simulator like LoL in 1st person I started having fun. You have to play with other people you know and coordinate pushes to do anything in this game. People hate on Halos post H2 for the stale teamshot meta, well in Overwatch you literally can't to jack shit without a teammate holding your hand. If you can't acept that OW isn't the game for you.

I am aware of this, which is why my critique didn't extend to the simplistic map design or the hold forward, hand-holding nature of team pushes (bunch up as a team and shock and awe your way through the next chokepoint, preferably with ults). And I can deal with the general lack of individual impact to a point (as a casual game). What ends up pissing me off is the absolutely baffling design and balance decisions relating to the characters themselves. When you have a standard ability on an 8 second cool-down that is better than a good number of ultimate abilities (in part because it can literally REFLECT THEM), that is a problem. All this on a character that double jumps and sword dashes all over the place like an idiot. Meanwhile, McCree, a character that would naturally appeal to an Halo CE fan, has nothing but decent damage output (with drop-off to make sure that one skill-oriented advantage isn't TOO good) and a mediocre ability set. This shit is baffling to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How dare I have issues with the greatest, most perfectly balanced MOBA shooter of all time?!

Oh the game has issues, but I thought the issues you had were silly. 

You've missed my point entirely in favor of trying to "correct" me. I understand the Reinhardt is on literally fucking every decent team. That is the problem. The meta is uninteresting enough without a character so ridiculously effective at his role that you basically HAVE to pick him. And then on top of that, his very nature slows down team fights even more (as one would expect with the ability to absorb shitloads of damage with a giant shield) and he is boring as all hell the play. I pity Reinhardt mains. The game overall would be more interesting without him. Same with Mercy and her completely moronic "free team fight reset" ultimate.

He is really only a must pick on CP and Payload after the recent set of nerfs. Already seeing the rise of zarya and even winston on control in the most recent tournaments. And isn't him being a boring character is something I completely disagree with. He has one of the most rewarding ultimates in the game and has one or the better engagement tools with charge. Not to mention hitting a meaty fire strike is a great feeling. 

Complaining about mercy of all characters. Are you playing the same game? She is the worst healer in the game right now. Her rez is the only thing that makes her even half useful. 

This statement would be much less amusing if your rebuttals were good. Instead, most of them don't even directly address what I said.

That's because a lot of what you said didn't make sense within the meta and with current issues the game is facing. 

Ahahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha. McCree has EXACTLY one real advantage over Soldier: his weapon can output a bit more damage in ideal circumstances and with good aim. He has vastly worse mobility (mediocre dodge roll with 8 second cool down lmfao), he can't self heal, his flash bang sucks, his alternate fire is trash compared to helix rocket, and his ultimate is pretty much the worst in the game. But yeah, if you hit all of your shots with one of the least forgiving weapons in the game (that Blizzard keeps nerfing), he can do more DPS. Astounding.

And with a dps all he needs to be able to do is get fast picks which he is better at doing than soldier. Just look at the recent performance from grimreality. He made McCree look much better than any soldier that appeared in that tournament. Now if you want to talk about his abilities, flashbang is one of the best CQ abilities in the game and makes McCree so good as a pick for dealing with flankers like gengi and Tracer. He is much better at that than soldier. He's also the second best tank buster behind reaper. Dodgeroll cool down is too high, but that's because it reloads his clip. They need to rework that because if you cut the time there he quickly gets out of control again. 

I didn't say anything about his hook. I was talking about his SHOTGUN.

And his shotgun seemed inconsistent because of how hook worked early on. M1 of course is a random spray. It is a shotgun for fucks sake for super close quarters, but M2 is very effective at the designated range, so maybe I don't get your complaint. He is one of the most OP heroes at intermediate levels right now because of his consistency to one shot. 

This doesn't address what I said at all and is basically a glorified "git gud." If she was so easy to counter, she wouldn't be used at high levels at all. And I know you aren't playing at high levels.

She is hardly used at the high level and when she is it is for nothing more than area denial. That doesn't scream OP in anyway. Her M1 becomes useless against good players, so she is relegated to actually having to hit M2 which is a slower moving projectile. Her ult is a great stalling tactic/area denial, but needs teamwork to be capitalized on. 

And the relevance of this to the generally shittiness of Bastion from beta and launch until now is...? Right. Nothing. He doesn't become a well designed character by virtue of upcoming changes that have not been outlined in any way.

Bastion at one point in the Beta was one of the best characters in the game... The changes have been outlined. They are going to make him stronger in recon (less spread/more bullets). Improving self heal so it doesn't interrupt while moving or taking damage. Increasing health in tank mode, but increasing spread/removing crits so he busts tanks/shields a little better. Hopefully some more self sustain and a better recon allows him to be a little bit better outside of a 3/4 comp that supports his use.

What class based shooters do you enjoy arg?

I'm reading your complaints but I don't know what you propose to change to improve a game that to me seems rather intention in design besides a few balance changes they've made. The whole hand holding teamwork isn't something I find ideal in team based shooters but how the game plays out at a high team level is rather structured and decently balanced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What class based shooters do you enjoy arg?

I'm reading your complaints but I don't know what you propose to change to improve a game that to me seems rather intention in design besides a few balance changes they've made. The whole hand holding teamwork isn't something I find ideal in team based shooters but how the game plays out at a high team level is rather structured and decently balanced.

Especially now that Ana isn't so oppressive and dive comps are back. 

I've just gotten into it on XB1.  I'm nearly a 25, so I am excited to play with people that will focus more on a team comp than everyone being an attacking hero.

Screw Genji though.  I absolutely hate going against that tard.

I hate placement matches.

Was 3400ish last season, had really bad placements an im now in 2600 running solo healer Mercy.... Kill me. My best characters are Tracer, Sombra, Mercy, so im not in the best place right now in the meta. 

On a plus note, i can really tell that the new Mercy buff makes a difference. 

I was gonna write a long post detailing all the things I dislike about the balance changes this update and the game's balance in general, especially Bastion's ludicrous buffs, but screw it, I'll just quote this post I saw on reddit instead:

"I'm just sad that they clearly learned fucking nothing from the Triple Tank Meta, AKA the NOBODY DIES BECAUSE EVERYONE OUTHEALS THE DAMAGE Meta."

So, yeah. Not exactly thrilled at the prospect of another tank right now.

The aiming on console is still ass. Input lag, square-shaped deadzones, and a choice between two awful, clumsy options for the sensitivity curves in dual-zone and exponential ramp make precision heroes like McCree and Widowmaker difficult to aim for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion. And I like how they said they were going to balance consoles separately from PC, so they nerfed Torb and Symmetra's turrets on consoles that one time, and then they never did anything else differently from PC after that, and now they've buffed the turrets again. lol

Speaking from the PC side of things it's kinda of was at the best place in terms of balance that it has been since the game released before there was any real stigma about certain heroes. Every character is viable on at least one map or side of a gametype, even Junkrat gets a chance to prove himself and even the slightest glimpse back into the pro meta. I don't know how badly bastion / horsewoman will fuck things up but towards the end of last season it seemed that there was a lot more variety of viability of different compositions or at the very minimum people were willing to let you try something without threatening to straight up throw.

How bow dat Anna nerf??  They annihilated her.   :salt:

I'm pumped for the Winston buff.  I've been playing him a lot. He's just fun to play with. 

Is there a go to place to learn in depth about the game? or specific people to watch to get a good jump start at improving?

Is there a go to place to learn in depth about the game? or specific people to watch to get a good jump start at improving?

I've been out of the loop all year cuz of uni but here's some:

Competitive Overwatch subreddit for discussions about meta, advice, tips and esports

Overwatch University for a fuckload of guides and shit

There's a tourney or a league or something in Korea and most pros been competing there so they haven't been streaming as much as they used to. There's a couple of great non-prof players streaming consistently of the top of my head tho:

aimbotcalvin - dps/flex and ana sometimes

xQc - Tank

korea - he may play whatever he has to but mostly dps

ryujehong - ana main, last i saw he was streaming a lot (stream in korean tho)

iddqd - actual pro streaming a lot, dps

Lassiz - great zarya main

tvique - another pro

You can watch a_seagull whenever the hell he streams, he talks about what he does and his mistakes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How bow dat Anna nerf??  They annihilated her.   :salt:

I'm pumped for the Winston buff.  I've been playing him a lot. He's just fun to play with. 

I'm looking forward to Winston, he did need just slightly edging just to make him a good pick not 'balanced'.

Ana nerf just means more pharah which is a shame. She's already difficult to deal with as it is ;c

Been playing the game for a month and a half now. I come from a halo background so all i want is a team to communicate with. Add me for quick play or competitive. I can play dps or tank. Currently in the 2900s. Gt: Cangri

How many of you still play OW?

I do all the time.  Can't get enough of it. 

edit: threw some clips together:

• Upvote (+1) 1

i havent gotten to play since orisa came out. has anyone gotten a chance to try her out? thoughts?

Anyone playing OW (xb1)?? Post GTs so I can add you all and play! Im currently 3030ish.

My GT: Cangri

I just switched to PC, from being top 500 every season on Xbox.

I fucking suck with a keyboard, but I like a challenge.

i havent gotten to play since orisa came out. has anyone gotten a chance to try her out? thoughts?

She is kinda weird to play with. Kind of like a Reind that has to be way more conservative.  Once you place you shield, your kinda stuck there which is kinda annoying because she can get melted without it. The Reind/Orrisa/Winston/Bastion Meta is ridiculous. Shields galore.

I just switched to PC, from being top 500 every season on Xbox.

I fucking suck with a keyboard, but I like a challenge.

Lol, I wouldn't expect to get top 500 on PC ANYtime soon.  Much more competitive than on console.

Have you placed season 4?

• Upvote (+1) 1