Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Overwatch Discussion

Running Bastion might be the most OP thing I've done in a video game.

Against low skill players yes, because you need to change heroes to counter him.

Also of course you play Overwatch on PC, where you get 60+ fps and where Tornbjorn is not OP asf^^

pc-master-hacks-race.jpg

5-5 landed in plat, horrible set of placement games. Matched two to4's battling it out for my final game, couldn't have gone worse.

Solo Q at 2k is FUCKING.HELL

Wish MMR took individual skill a bit more into consideration, there were even placement matches where I carried, went 6-4 and got placed in 2.4k

FeelsFuckingBadMan.

Eurgh

Any disagreements? Only person I know is GoldenBoy, as a caster his personality fits nicely for the type of game OW is.

OGN are creating an overwatch league with Korean plus invited ibternational teams

http://www.espn.co.uk/esports/story/_/id/17558894/ogn-launch-overwatch-league-doa-montecristo-cast

Any disagreements? Only person I know is GoldenBoy, as a caster his personality fits nicely for the type of game OW is.

The analysts are spot on, 2 of the best for overwatch its just the caster that I'm a little worried about. Overwatch is crazy fast during team fights. its hard sometimes for experienced overwatch specific casters to keep up with.

Depends on how much Mr X and Goldenboy know, if they lean too heavily on 'entertainment' they could get chewed out. Anders and Semmler are the premier CSGO casters (they'll be there already for the CSGO E-League which is probably why they're doing it), I feel they'll put in enough prep work that it'll work well and if not the twitch chat will be so concerned with shouting "WE CSGO NOW" that they won't care either way.

Could very easily see ZP and Huk team up with a caster for a few games, I expect all the casters to grill them about the specifics of the game.

kyiog.png

Just noticed I'm #4 overall in eliminations/minute with Reaper :D

I just noticed yesterday I have 644 games as Mercy, an I have 588 gold medals. I prefer playing tracer these days though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is Overwatch on Xbox complete cancer?

Better question: Why do I still play it?

Yeah, i have Overwatch on pc, an play it every now and again, but i keep going back to xbox Overwatch for some reason

This crept up.

https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

letsgoooooooooooooooooooooooooo AZK Rapha on Liquid <3

Yeah, Liquid were one of my favorites due to Dahang being on there and playing support, then when they added the new guys i went full liquid.

This crept up.

https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

letsgoooooooooooooooooooooooooo AZK Rapha on Liquid <3

He just pub-stomping until QC comes out  :kappa:

Still blows my mind how OW has seemingly become a legitimate e-sport overnight meanwhile QW:TF and TF2(better comp FPS) struggled for more than a decade to receive recognition and everyone was like "LOL TF2's not a e-sport it haz hats!" yet OW is apparently. TF2 has Scout, Sniper, and Soldier with 100x higher skill ceilings and QW:TF is not even a comparison honestly. Overwatch is just a streamlined version of TF2(which is a noobier QW:TF) but OW fanboys will never accept the truth. You can't even rocket jump (well) in Overwatch yet everyone and their mother is praising this game like its the second coming when its clearly not. Thats the power of the blizz fanbase for you, over-hyping mediocre stream-lined games from Blizz since 2010 the bar has certainly been lowered folks. I honestly tried watching 5 mins of OW and I honestly felt like I was watching a JRPG anime tv show IMO. Wow... what a way we have come since Q3A. Thank god for UT and the new Quake coming up or I might have hopped on the bandwagon too! Its like people have forgotten legitimate comp FPS actually exist.

• Downvote (-1) 1

He just pub-stomping until QC comes out  :kappa:

Still blows my mind how OW has seemingly become a legitimate e-sport overnight meanwhile QW:TF and TF2(better comp FPS) struggled for more than a decade to receive recognition and everyone was like "LOL TF2's not a e-sport it haz hats!" yet OW is apparently. TF2 has Scout, Sniper, and Soldier with 100x higher skill ceilings and QW:TF is not even a comparison honestly. Overwatch is just a streamlined version of TF2(which is a noobier QW:TF) but OW fanboys will never accept the truth. You can't even rocket jump (well) in Overwatch yet everyone and their mother is praising this game like its the second coming when its clearly not. Thats the power of the blizz fanbase for you, over-hyping mediocre stream-lined games from Blizz since 2010 the bar has certainly been lowered folks. I honestly tried watching 5 mins of OW and I honestly felt like I was watching a JRPG anime tv show IMO. Wow... what a way we have come since Q3A. Thank god for UT and the new Quake coming up or I might have hopped on the bandwagon too! Its like people have forgotten legitimate comp FPS actually exist.

It's legitimized insofar as there's industry backing but I think the general consensus acknowledges it isn't a world beater in terms of it's competitive merit as a game. That being said, it's not entirely awful, it takes all the pieces from different games and doesn't trying to pretend it's not sitting in it's own FPS niche of being extremely team based / meta dependent with a reliance on execution. I really don't see a problem with it's popularity, as though people should automatically gravitate to the single most mechanically competitive game.

Quake snobs really are the worst. Quake is FAR from being the perfect FPS people make it out to be.

Cons:

Bland weapon play: LG, Rockets, Rail dominant game (compared to UT's creative weapon dynamics such as the shock combo)

No headshot hitbox: In before 'Quake doesn't need headshot hitbox, it is already skillful enough!' Tell that to the Quake-OW crossovers who are getting out-aimed by other non-quake players)

Movement: Quake's saving grace really is strafe jumping, but the movement in individual battles is sub-standard. Lack of wall dodging/jumping, double dodging ala UT lowers the skill ceiling in these battles. Traversing around the map with strafe jumping is skillful and fast, but also linear and predictable. UT, again, has much more erratic movement which increases the skill gap in individual battles but lacks the traversal of Quake's strafe jumping

I could go on, but the idea that Quake is this super elite, mega skillfull 10/10 FPS because it one of the first arena FPS games ever realised is laughable. It's a solid 8.5/10, but the game does have some obvious flaws. It is nowhere near Tribes in the skill gap department (probably the hardest FPS game with the highest skill ceiling) and I'd even rank it below UT and Warsow (purely down to how dull the individual combat and standard strafing is).

It's really not even much better than OW in the skill ceiling department (I was shocked to see players like Strenx getting outaimed by non-quakers) and IMO, OW is the more fun game with its own innovations. Tracer is one of the coolest, most original playstyles in a while. Lack of splash damage on Pharah also makes rocket play much harder than in Quake. But of course, Quakers will refuse to acknowledge this despite rockets being incredibly easy to use in Quake.

These 'OW sucks, Quake is GOAT' comparisons are silly. OW is very much its own game with its own innovative features and dynamics, similar to Shadowrun in that regard.

Edit: I'd just like to add that I LOVE all arena FPS games, including Quake, but I just can't stand the snobbish attitude of the Quake community where any game that isn't a direct Quake clone = BAD. Your game really is far from perfect. Get over it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

rant

Edit: I'd just like to add that I LOVE all arena FPS games, including Quake, but I just can't stand the snobbish attitude of the Quake community where any game that isn't a direct Quake clone = BAD. Your game really is far from perfect. Get over it.

I was not even comparing it to Quake, I was comparing it to the game it most closely resembles in TF. There is no skill department in which OW even comes within a light-year of Quake or UT ask anybody who has played both games or Quake pros playing OW right now for that matter. OW doesn't even compare to QW:TF as I mentioned. OW is practically a running joke on ESR and in our community. You're comments about UT being more skillful than Quake are also hilarious, I play UT and even I know that is not the case. If you love all arena FPS games why dont you play one, hence not Overwatch. It's a team-based FPS with a class/hero system inspired by MOBAs. If it comes down to OW vs Quake/UT(which it looks like it will) I am sorry but there is no comparison.

Dr. Junkenstein is so much fun.  I really hope they turn it into a permanent gametype and support all the maps.  I would play the F*#$ out of it. 

Anyone else having fun the the new PVE mode?

Anyone have any idea what the actual fuck is going on with this Sombra thing. Morse code leading to a website with a phone number with a woman speaking in Spanish. WUTUF

So thanks to my sister dragging me back into Overwatch, I have developed an unhealthy level of love for it again.

SoloQ is still a nightmare, but at the same time, I learn a lot with each match, and just having that avenue of improvement in front of me reminds a heckuva lot of my days in the 20s on Halo 2. Being able to be competitive and have an absolute blast each match has cemented it in my rotation of games for a good long time to come.