Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Overwatch Discussion

The skill isnt really about aiming. Its about Team Composition and positioning. Its a glorified rock, paper, scissors, game but it does have higher meta in competitive play.

So basically it's team fortress 2?

very similar, yes.

it will absolutely last on the pc. how big the population will be is another question. i doubt it will be as big as league, but it isn't going to be "dead".

may be on par with csgo, give or take.

No. It's basically overwatch.

Please never try and compare this game to H5 again.

If you want to decide, go watch some pros on twitch or watch some games from pro tournaments.

Will it even last on the PC side being that it's a pure objective game?  Would you describe this game skill wise along the lines of h5 (any noob can pick it up and get kills) or halo CE (good luck getting many kills if your teammate sucks and you are a noob)

I just have zero interest playing a game that has a garbage skill curve and this game sounds like it's made for kids so that they can have fun and get some kills (like halo 5) instead of the hardcore gamer that likes games with excellent skill curves.

Just trying to decide if I should pick this up.  Battleborn is an absolute joke.

There is definitely a skill gap, however some characters have a low skill ceiling and being good with them comes down to map awareness and positioning. If you are playing matchmaking solo, you are going to have a real hard time hard carrying 5 noobs. Playing in a group is infinitely better than playing solo in this game. There is already a decent competitive scene on PC, there have been multiple small tournaments that have pulled 40,000+ concurrent viewers on twitch, and there is a $100,000 gamescom tournament already scheduled.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Synthet1X pretty much nailed it. You can't carry to the same extent as other games but there absolutely is a skill gap.

It is both insanely fun and frustrating.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mercy is a great example. Most of the skill comes from knowledge and awareness. You can for sure tell the difference between a mediocre Mercy and a great one. As an example, the former usually still goes for kills. It's knowing where you should be to heal everyone and have open routes to everyone. Where you can escape to should you need too. It's like i spend nearly the whole match looking at my own teammates, knowing where i should be positioned. and looking for flanks. It's knowing when to damage boost, and when to heal, when you should let teammates die, when to res. This is one of the only games where my shockingly bad aim can be offset my knowledge and awareness. It honestly has a little bit for everyone, that's why this game is so great

• Upvote (+1) 2

12k Healing as Lucio and a torbjorn with 22 kills gets epic.. That is why nobody plays heals. It's boring (imo) and nobody gives you credit for helping them out. They just ask for heals while being pushed up too far. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Will it even last on the PC side being that it's a pure objective game?  Would you describe this game skill wise along the lines of h5 (any noob can pick it up and get kills) or halo CE (good luck getting many kills if your teammate sucks and you are a noob)

I just have zero interest playing a game that has a garbage skill curve and this game sounds like it's made for kids so that they can have fun and get some kills (like halo 5) instead of the hardcore gamer that likes games with excellent skill curves.

Just trying to decide if I should pick this up.  Battleborn is an absolute joke.

Well it's better than Halo 5, and Blizzard is listening to their community. To say it's made for kids is silly though. It's a great fun and pretty competitive shooter. I believe the devs will push the game forward and make the competitive side great. It's not going to last on console, because console. But it will last on PC. I've played this game every day now since launch. I haven't played a game this much since the days of Halo 3 and MW2 for me. Competitive releases at the end of this month. And the devs are listening so it's in good hands. If I were a pro, I'd rather jump on this game than continue playing something like Halo 5. It's having a 10k tournament (Or had, not sure if it happened yet). And a bigger like 100k tournament (these tournaments are hosted from outside sources, not like Microsoft with Halo 5). in a few months. Battleborn is a joke, and a bad joke compared to OW. You either pay the 40 dollars or you don't. It's a good game. There is skill curve also. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The transparency between the developers and the players is absolutely incredible.

I know! Just like 343i :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Mercy is a great example. Most of the skill comes from knowledge and awareness. You can for sure tell the difference between a mediocre Mercy and a great one. As an example, the former usually still goes for kills. It's knowing where you should be to heal everyone and have open routes to everyone. Where you can escape to should you need too. It's like i spend nearly the whole match looking at my own teammates, knowing where i should be positioned. and looking for flanks. It's knowing when to damage boost, and when to heal, when you should let teammates die, when to res. This is one of the only games where my shockingly bad aim can be offset my knowledge and awareness. It honestly has a little bit for everyone, that's why this game is so great

this post matches my sentiments exactly

The transparency between the developers and the players is absolutely incredible.

1. Hopefully there's party restrictions.

2. I hope join in progress is disabled for ranked. You can make quits count as 2-3x the loss if you quit out and your team loses or something, to discourage the behavior.

3. Hopefully they've taken into account boosting with lower rated players to get easier matches to rank up. Like H2 boosting, Iron boosting in Reach, Bronze boosting in H5.

12k Healing as Lucio and a torbjorn with 22 kills gets epic.. That is why nobody plays heals. It's boring (imo) and nobody gives you credit for helping them out. They just ask for heals while being pushed up too far. 

Lucio doesn't get as much credit as Mercy. I think this is due in part to the fact that when Mercy heals you, you know Mercy is healing you, where as Lucios healing is passive. Speaking for myself, I've never had so many compliments in a video game before, rather strange. 

1. Hopefully there's party restrictions.

2. I hope join in progress is disabled for ranked. You can make quits count as 2-3x the loss if you quit out and your team loses or something, to discourage the behavior.

3. Hopefully they've taken into account boosting with lower rated players to get easier matches to rank up. Like H2 boosting, Iron boosting in Reach, Bronze boosting in H5.

It will probably be like quick play, in that it will match groups with groups of similar size, so you could have 1/2/3/4 solo ques on your team as well. Like he said in the vid tho, you will know who's in a group together. As for the boasting, in the beta competitive, you could only search with people ranked closely to yours. I kinda hope they carry this over

Anyone here have good Pharah tips? I know some of you guys played the oldschool Arena FPS so I figured someone might have a really cool tip that others don't know. I'm trying to get competitively good with all of the DPS heroes (I want to be the DPS/flanker/frontline whatever, Cliche but it's just my playstyle). I started playing her after watching a pro play her on Kings Row on a tournament. I'm not bad with her, but I mean there is always room for improvement. 

Anyone here have good Pharah tips? I know some of you guys played the oldschool Arena FPS so I figured someone might have a really cool tip that others don't know. I'm trying to get competitively good with all of the DPS heroes (I want to be the DPS/flanker/frontline whatever, Cliche but it's just my playstyle). I started playing her after watching a pro play her on Kings Row on a tournament. I'm not bad with her, but I mean there is always room for improvement. 

Pharah is pretty straight forward with her abilities and slaying power. If you watched a pro play her than I'm sure you picked up a bunch of the basics, like using the RB bomb to "rocket jump" in situations. It can be easy to get picked off in the air if you don't have a pocket mercy so I often save my blasts to push myself backwards or reach an area faster. Besides that there are numerous areas on maps where players have pass by in order to reach the OBJ. You can often push players off in those spots.

Stay in the air as much as possible and tap A as needed to hover as long as possible rather than drain your jet pack in one jump. Anticipate their movement and lead them a bit just like you would in Quake.

As far as tips go, you'll have the easiest time isolating the proper class a Pharah. I feel I often contribute so much to my team on Pharah just by being able to isolate and kill the mercy to prevent them from getting a clutch rez. If possible always get the healer down first but don't ignore some of the DPS characters like McCree or Reaper that can really mess up your front line and tanks.

Not sure how much you've watched or played so these can seem rather basic. Also just focus on staying grouped up and organized with the team rather than venturing off and doing your own thing. Pharah is one of the easier classes imo to get caught up in playing selfishly.

Any zenyatta players? love the character but seems to be super weak. 

Apparently its better on PC after Widow was nerfed. Zen seems like a good character but it just doesn't seem to do anything better by having her in the comp compared to other healers in the long run.

I play a lot of winston and we usually run a double winston since one winston isn't enough to get the job done. However one of my favorite winston games so far has been when I had a good Zen on my team. While that discord orb helps melt takes, it also completely devastates the squishy classes that Winston is supposed to jump on. He targeted Mercy/Widow/Genji/McCree and I was able to be incredibly aggressive off his orbs. I'll have to mess around with that some more with a good team. Lucios speed boost and beat drop is too good, but I'd like to see what a Mercy and Zen can do with a good winston. Discord orb + Damage Boost = OP?

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you can learn how to move with Pharah using a combination of jump jet, concussive blast,  and rocket boosting, everything else will come together. 

Leading shots is important, but I think knowing who to target is more important. You can deal easy damage to tanks without really putting yourself in harms way, but more importantly with the nerf to widow you can really put a lot of pressure on their back line. 

Just tough to play Pharah in solo que. She is infinitely better with a decent Mercy at her side. 

Any zenyatta players? love the character but seems to be super weak. 

I used him a bunch pre-Widowmaker nerf. I like how he plays, but he has some obvious faults. Usually when I play him, he's not the primary healer and I usually like to pair him with a Lucio to help out with his terrible speed. He's less of a healer and more of a glass cannon with the option to heal teammates. Pairing his discord orb with headshots does a disgusting amount of damage. I should also say that I only really use him on offense, and I'd rather have Mercy or Symmetra on defense due to how the spawns work on CP maps.

If you can learn how to move with Pharah using a combination of jump jet, concussive blast,  and rocket boosting, everything else will come together. 

Leading shots is important, but I think knowing who to target is more important. You can deal easy damage to tanks without really putting yourself in harms way, but more importantly with the nerf to widow you can really put a lot of pressure on their back line. 

Just tough to play Pharah in solo que. She is infinitely better with a decent Mercy at her side. 

In overwatch you have to lead your shots really? so its projectile based not hitscan?.

In overwatch you have to lead your shots really? so its projectile based not hitscan?.

Both, most heroes have hitscan weapons but the ones like Pharah, Zenyatta, Hanzo and Roadhog's right click are projectile.

Have y'all heard the theories about Sombra being the next Hero.  Possibly another female sniper support. 

Video explaining the conspiracy:

Both, most heroes have hitscan weapons but the ones like Pharah, Zenyatta, Hanzo and Roadhog's right click are projectile.

I know you listed a few, but theres quite a bit more. 

Some other projectile weapons/abilities are Lucio's RT, Symmettra's LT, D.Va's Pistol, Solider's Rockets, Zarya's LT, Genji, Junkrat, Mei's LT, Torbjorns' RT, Reinhardts RT. Possibly Mercy's pistol but I haven't used it since the beta and forget.

Theres some hitscan stuff too but a lot of projectile. A ton of these weapons/abilities are rewarding when you land some clean shots. Torb across the map, Lucio hitting a pharah in the sky, Lining up a long distance symmettra shot etc.

Also if you didn't know theres headshot incentive/damage in this game.