CyReN

RTX Halo 4 Tournament Discussion

I'm so confused haha. There is an H4 tourney going on and people are upset about the settings? From what I read on IG's website, I agree the settings are kind of lame, but H4 is pretty much a community wasteland. We should be happy that we are getting a tourney, because honestly if I was IG I wouldnt pick up H4.

The tweet said S1 settings are done, and for Doju to send in his resume to help.

I just deciphered Proverb English and it looks like Iron Gaming will be using a Council for gametypes with Doju, Proverb, GN, and IG from my understanding.

You know its getting bad when Cyren wants Doju in :P

But in all seriousness, proverb has a team around him who knows their stuff, but V1 didnt end up the way all of us (and me included) wanted it to be. Blame the backlash from players going to the Toledo lan (top players) who were too linear minded to not want Ark/Landfall, and it was decided just to go with the safe option.  Its only one of the smaller LANS, so let them have their basic shite settings for now, and hopefully for V2 people, such as myself, get more influence, and more importantly, more time to get shit sorted.

Dont ask for just me, its always best to work in a team to stop bias creeping into settings. For example me and Salot had a chat about settings today, we see alot in common, and alot different, which is a good thing (even if I dont get his hate for Landfall #thrownunderthebus), Proverb comes from that player background, and knows alot of the active players too, so that can be good feedback.....sometimes.

To play devils advocate, Proverb is new to all this, and the attention it gets, and our opinions are hella different to that of those top top players, something he didnt expect. He's not a bad kid or anything, just needs some guidance, and he was the one wanting to give asyms more a chance than ever before, but that never happened due to the reason I mentioned. Give it time, he'l learn, and V2 will certainly be different from the generic Halo we have been used to.

I'l be on later to test Onslaught flag.

The only reason that I was upset with the settings was because of how fast it all went down. There just wasn't adequate time for everyone to play the settings and see the flaws in the spawns, map movement, and weapon locations.

I am not saying that there were any problems but it wouldn't surprise me in the least because of how "nerdy" a lot of the top players are and many people try to break maps as much as they can anyways.

With that being said I would like to be able to represent some of the players that are actually competing at these events and listen to the conversations on maps choices and game types while providing constructive criticism after playing many custom games and team scrims with the map and game type choices. Am I a good forger or map designer? Hell no but I do know how a map, a least to a certain extent, should be played and if there are flaws.

I don't mean to be forward but I don't see any other players, that are actually going to compete at these tournaments, posting very much on these topics and since that is the case I would like to help.

I am all for change because I am getting bored of the same old maps BUT they need to be tested thoroughly before anyone decides to put them in for a tournament.

I am all for change because I am getting bored of the same old maps BUT they need to be tested thoroughly before anyone decides to put them in for a tournament.

the people who make them have tested them thoroughly already.

Ryse Gaming: RG, Zadias, Unviolent, ???? Coach: UncleSudd

Ryse to go undefeated throughout 2014 from coach hype alone. :walshy:  #UncleSudd 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't let us down Doju, be our saviour!! Also if you do indeed get highly involved in the settings then please write something out with the thoughtprocess behind the map/gametype selection. Like why certain maps/gametypes are picked over others and why certain changes were made to the weaponlayout and such. 

#SaviourDoju2014

the people who make them have tested them thoroughly already.

Playing them with top players is different then playing with casual players and if they have been tested with very good people then I have not heard of that yet.

Let me find out exactly how this worked and I'll let you guys know. Truly I'm video production manager. I'm in the business of teaching people how to direct and run cameras and develop production setups. Something that's been quite a learning curve since moving from traditional sports to esports. Occasionally I take some photos too.

I'll find out how this went down and let you guys know.

We appreciate your humility and honesty, really. This is the kind of thing that, albeit small, helps mend relationships. 

I would strongly encourage that the person in charge of these decisions be the one explaining the rational behind it, not you. That, or have one person serve as a liaison, not 2-3 different representatives. 

Playing them with top players is different then playing with casual players and if they have been tested with very good people then I have not heard of that yet.

why is none top players labeled as "casual" and why are "casual" players automatically bad? casual doesn't define skill level only interest in the game. we've also had this argument before the problem is these "top players" won't give the maps any thorough testing unless we actually put them in the settings.

why is none top players labeled as "casual" and why are "casual" players automatically bad? casual doesn't define skill level only interest in the game. we've also had this argument before the problem is these "top players" won't give the maps any thorough testing unless we actually put them in the settings.

I never said casual players are bad at all and I am just saying top competitive players usually have a different mind sets and look at maps differently. You need more than just one set of opinions.

I never said casual players are bad at all and I am just saying top competitive players usually have a different mind sets and look at maps differently. You need more than just one set of opinions.

why are you automatically assuming maps are tested by people who have only  a passing interest in halo? they're tested by competitive players who also have an interest in the forge community. you're also assuming that the people testing and forging don't understand how things play out at a high level.

you don't need to be a top player to understand how things work, yes they'll have a different mindset but that doesn't mean we should be using them as authority figures when most likely they'll just be looking at maps in a way that best suits them and not the map as a whole which isn't something helpful when it comes to picking or fixing maps due to personal bias.

• Upvote (+1) 4

why are you automatically assuming maps are tested by people who have only  a passing interest in halo? they're tested by competitive players who also have an interest in the forge community. you're also assuming that the people testing and forging don't understand how things play out at a high level.

you don't need to be a top player to understand how things work, yes they'll have a different mindset but that doesn't mean we should be using them as authority figures when most likely they'll just be looking at maps in a way that best suits them and not the map as a whole which isn't something helpful when it comes to picking or fixing maps due to personal bias.

That doesn't matter... the people that actually compete should have a voice in the settings and not be completely out of the dark. That is not fair to us at all and you can't deny that. Sure some players are hard headed but not all are.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That doesn't matter... the people that actually compete should have a voice in the settings and not be completely out of the dark. That is not fair to us at all and you can't deny that. Sure some players are hard headed but not all are.

i'm not saying people who compete shouldn't have a voice i'm saying the top players shouldn't be authority figures.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i'm not saying people who compete shouldn't have a voice i'm saying the top players shouldn't be authority figures

When did I say that we had to be authority figures?? Also who would be?

It should be a combination of different authority figures and some should be from the competitive side too

When did I say that we had to be authority figures?? Also who would be?

It should be a combination of different authority figures and some should be from the competitive side too

But what happens when we have top players voicing really bad opinions? For example, ogre 2 saying "no bloom=no skill," or Ryanoob saying "all asymmetric maps are bad for competitive play."

Should we take their opinions seriously just because they're making money from playing the game?

• Upvote (+1) 1

But what happens when we have top players voicing really bad opinions? For example, ogre 2 saying "no bloom=no skill," or Ryanoob saying "all asymmetric maps are bad for competitive play."

Should we take their opinions seriously just because they're making money from playing the game?

kinda goes against the same people in here saying what halo needs don't you think? Its the fact that what i see is more of fighting instead of coming together as a community to make our community better.

What i have seen in the past few weeks is agruments. Why does our community just stand around fighting with each other while our community draws further and further apart? The funny thing is that you guys think one person can save halo or our community.

Yes it starts with one voice,but if the voice falls over deaf ears then the voice is void.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why does our community just stand around fighting with each other while our community draws further and further apart? .

Maybe because the game isn't worthy of coming together for?

Maybe because the game isn't worthy of coming together for?

Then why complain? Despite if its worth it or not we need to stay strong and together in these dark times.