CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Well legendaryshotz, we're not playing Mario Kart here, are we? Halo is a violent and intense game that is best represented by realistic graphics, not cartoony ones like 343's. Just feels so unauthentic.

Well legendaryshotz, we're not playing Mario Kart here, are we? Halo is a violent and intense game that is best represented by realistic graphics, not cartoony ones like 343's. Just feels so unauthentic.

Nothing screams realistic more than a bunch of aliens fighting humans.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's too bad that Halo Reach will be the last good looking Halo game. Can't believe 343 stuck with the cartoon look after Halo 4's massive failure.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

in this downtime someone should if it hasn't been done already give us game modes and rule sets for all the games so we can get some customs rolling without being lost in the set up screen.

I think most people didn't appreciate Reach's graphics because of all the ugly forge world maps. It's too bad they never made the game DLC required. But if you look the amount of detail that went into the original maps as well as armor, weapons, and vehicles...it easily blows Halo 3 out of the water graphically speaking. Graphics kept improving from each game...Halo 1 through Reach. I'd take Halo 2's graphics over Halo 4 to be honest. 343's Halo graphics look like the game plays...gimmicky.

For me, textures does not always equal better graphics. Art style is a huge thing for me. Halo 3 is the last halo that looks like Halo to me. Halo 1 and 2 look great, and 3 simply perfected that formula. As others have said, simply being able to recognise armour, even across the map, shows how right they got it. Simplistic, good looking, fun, colourful... none of those words spring to mind for Reach. As soon as I started the campaign on that game I had a bitter taste in my mouth. Grey and gritty? Those are not the qualities that made me fall in love with Halo... even the medals in Reach I think are a steaming pile of shit; another attempt to attract CoD gamers in a lame visual way.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Doesn't matter.

Cartoony graphics can work really well. It may not be everyone's taste, however it's rediculous to say an FPS cannot have them. I mean look at borderlands 2. It has cartoony graphics to the max and I personally think it had one of the best artstyles in the industry.

It's so boring going realistic. No creativity. We already have a realistic artystle called reality.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I had a game where I searched with a TO3 and all of us bounced to our own individual game where we were the only person in the game. I was going to wait for the clock to just run out so I'd get a win :) but I got impatient and upon hitting start to quit found I could end the game myself just like it was a custom.

Another game we searched with TO3 and we matched up and had 10 people total. We played the ascension remake and it made the teams 6 vs 4 and split us up. I was by myself on the to4 and spawned banshee the entire game....

Another game I searched with a TO2 and I was party leader. He found a game without me and he just left and started that game and I continued to search lol.....

This game is doing some interesting things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EagleBurn, brightness doesn't equate to good graphics. What makes Reach's graphics the best Halo graphics are the great detail and realism. 343's Halo graphics are just ugly, undetailed, ultra bright and cartoonish.

I haven't been on the Halo interwebz in quite some time, probably since the H2 days, but is this the consensus of the community? IMO, H1-H3 have the "realest" graphics. Halo Reach was a fucking cartoon. Breakdown:

Halo 1-3 metal: shiny and metallic

Halo Reach metal: metal looks like the fucking joker purple

Halo 1-3 grenades: very realistic, HCE being the most realistic

Halo Reach grenades: They have fucking trails of fire after being thrown

Halo 1-3 spartan: stands up tall, looks like a badass, has that distinct Halo character model

Halo Reach spartan: equivalent to the fucking hunchback of notre dame. He runs like he's constipated animal

Halo 1-3 scenery: engines are beautiful and distinct, everything looks HD

Halo Reach scenery: Looks like a bunch of paint thrown on a wall and on plastic player models

Everything post H3 has been trash visually except for H4's campaign. 343 cannot make a unique Halo multiplayer map in an outdoor setting that doesn't look like it's fucking 8PM with contrasting dark shaded areas and bright, well lit areas. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Something tells me this game is currently 100% peer to peer. The connection has not been consisted once, ranging from what seems to be 50 ping to 100.

Yeah I refuse to believe these MM games are on dedis.

Well Goodypasture, Terminator 2 ins't a realistic movie, but it's not a cartoon, now is it? I guess if something isn't realistic, then God-forbid it have a realistic look to it. Have fun with your cartoon graphics while I play real Halo.

• Downvote (-1) 6

So quick update for anyone who may remember & even remotely care:

I didn't have to wait till December to get an XBOX ONE after all :) Despite universal pay-cuts at work, among other things, I was able to work it out so that I got one last night, and for only $170 out of pocket, too! I got the Assassin's Creed $349 bundle (without Kinect) and got around $185 or so for one of my XBOX 360's + the 4 games that Best Buy could take / trade-in / were worth something. So... yay! Moving forward...

Here's my general take on some MCC things that haven't really been highlighted from what I've seen (and some brief things that have been):

Forge

Forge is pretty damned good. My only complaints thus far are that the textures for the block pieces are pretty ugly. They're simple, which is great, but they neither match the "natural" pieces (rocks or cliffs, et cetera) or the other structure pieces (inclines, walls, and so on). At least not on "Skyward" or "Nebula" anyway.

I, like many Forgers I'm sure, tend to lean toward more angular / structural builds rather than natural-landscape builds. Obviously I'll be experimenting with the latter a lot more now, but the fact that it pretty much means I either 1) can't use block pieces because they don't go at all with the rest of the pieces, or 2) will have to live with making a map that just looks disjointed (visually speaking) will pretty much keep me from really exploring it more than I otherwise could.

I also am kind of bummed that one of my new favourite pieces (from Halo 4) not only didn't get "fixed" but didn't even return: the Dominion "Base Shield" item. I had really gotten good at using it as a visual cue for lighted pathways and such without it being too loud or obnoxious, and had even started building a map back in September that visually relied on it quite a bit, and now I have to find some sort of alternative that will ultimately not look nearly as good :/ I'll try out Forge in H4, too, even though I know anything I make will not ever be used in any sort of significant way; I'll at least have a rudimentary "blueprint" of sorts. I have a map that I started in September in H4 that, if I can't pull off the same kind of visual cues/tricks, I may just create in H4's Forge and let it rest there and make a purely functional version in H2A later.

Thankfully, we now have 30+ lights to work with, and they're insanely bright! Too bright in some cases, but that's a good problem to have; better than them not being nearly light enough, anyway. I'm really hoping that some DLC / TU comes with skins that are more tailored to the skybox environments, especially for the block pieces. That sandpaper-looking texture is just... awful.

H2A: Multiplayer

It's great, except for the obvious server issues. I like the on-map Camo & OS; even the LOOK of them is amazing. And there's a similar, bad-ass looking green "Speed Boost" one as well, which I always thought was a good addition and should stay in as an OS/Camo-type power-up.

It's weird to play, especially with the new controller. I'm definitely not used to it yet at all (read: I'm terrible at the game; need much practice). But the 1080p / 60fps is simply amazing.

CE: Campaign

Great as it always was, but now even better with the instant-switch graphics instead of the delay. Resolution and frame bump are fantastic, can't wait to try it on my gaming monitors instead of my laggy-ass big-screen though.

CE: Multiplayer

Only played one 1v1 with a friend, but it was definitely some of the most fun I've had in a Halo game in a long, long time :) Could use some refining, but all-in-all, it was extremely fun and pleasing.

H2C/A: Campaign

OMG. It's absolutely beautiful. Butter-smooth, cutscenes rock, plays amazingly... I can't say enough about it, they did a wonderful job. Double-shotting definitely takes getting used to (e.g. re-programming muscle memory) because you have to do it much quicker, it seems, especially if you YY right afterward; YY'ing has to be done VERY fast. I don't know if that's directly because of the frame rate or if it's the controller responsiveness, or both.

H2C: Multiplayer

Seemed laggy to me for the one game I played. It was rough. But it still weirdly felt satisfying. It's likely just due to the servers not working at all like they should, so I'm not that upset; it'll get fixed (eventually). Otherwise, it felt great; like seeing an old friend :)

H3: Campaign/Multiplayer

This is where I was surprised: the improvements to frame rate and resolution (or one or the other) have DEFINITELY improved the feeling like the BR (really any weapon) feels sluggish and like it weighs 1,000 pounds. It feels much more responsive. Shot registration seems about the same, maybe a bit better, but again, can't really judge that accurately until servers are working properly and at full-steam.

H4: Campaign/Multiplayer

Didn't play multiplayer, but the campaign looks AWE-MAZING. I mean, it always did, but now even more so. The improvements (lighting & resolution) make it absolutely gorgeous, and it plays just as smoothly as it looks too. It truly could pass as an XBOX ONE first-gen game to me, aside from some textures being a little bit low-res compared to some actual XBOX ONE games. Still very impressed and looking forward to grinding through the campaign at least. Multiplayer? Eh. Maybe for SWAT.

That's all for now. I only played for a few hours, and most of the time was spent figuring shit out lol. But most of you already have it, so you know. This was more just for people who either 1) had it but hadn't tried everything yet (and maybe were mildly curious about them), and/or 2) people who haven't bought the game/XBOX ONE yet and likewise may be curious.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well Goodypasture, Terminator 2 ins't a realistic movie, but it's not a cartoon, now is it? I guess if something isn't realistic, then God-forbid it have a realistic look to it. Have fun with your cartoon graphics while I play real Halo.

I was more poking fun at the realistic term. Please tell me real halo = halo reach. Because that would be just fantastic.

Yeah I refuse to believe these MM games are on dedis.

A ping from the range of 50-100 is perfectly possible with dedicated servers... It all depends where the server is located. Every game you play will be on a different server what means the ping will be little different each game.

When I play counterstrike my ping usaly range from 15-100 depending on if I am connected to a server in Germany or to one in russia.

The game is running on dedicated servers else the game would have played different for me. much laggier

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was about to go into MM and got a message saying, "downloading latest content please wait." dose this mean we got an update?!

On the dashboard it says that my game is done downloading, but then when I try to access multiplayer, it tells me the Halo 5 beta portion is frozen at 50.5%. Do I really need to reinstall this and wait a couple more days and pray to the Gods it works? On top of that, I have no interest in the Halo 5 beta as it looks like Halo...cartoony and gimmicky. I just want to play some real Halo.

Halo 5 looks cartoony?

LOLWUT?

I'd argue that aside from the map that looks like a spare set from Jeopardy!, Halo 5 looked graphically amazing and much less "cartoony" than any other Halo to date.

Also, I don't understand: you say you're not interested in H5 because it "looks like Halo", and then go on to say, "I just want to play some real Halo". Pretty sure "real Halo" also looks (and always has) "like Halo", so... 

2sbp.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the problem with Halo Reach and Halo 4 graphics is mainly the player models, they're tiny, like a load of smurfs running around. Not to mention for some unknown reason Halo 4 player models didn't look right when moving, the bottom half of their bodies would move and top half wouldn't, didn't look right to me. That's just my opinion though.

Real Halo? As in crouching in BTB all day with rockets and tanks against ******* on a terrible Invasion map that looks ugly as fuck? K

• Upvote (+1) 6