CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

My mind is blown!

Wow. You know people will think that guy has a modded controller. That was impressive.

TBH I could do it very consistently in a custom game by myself, but I would choke when trying to do it to a real player lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You'd think they would be able to make theater work. Is this really next gen? Shame :/

It's never nice to have features not fully realised but if we're all honest Theater ranks low on the list of priorities in a project like this.

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://teambeyond.net/halo-master-chief-collection-theater-details/

It's great we have theater, however not being able to create film clips and put them in our our file shares will be a bit annoying, I record and stream when I play anyway and I know that the xb1 has a built in recording device, I still think not having clips in our file share will take a little away from the game though.

Opinions?

IMO it's pointless having a fileshare. That feature has been succeeded by Xbox Game DVR. You get your whole game captured in-game, and you can share it easily, upload it or store it with an inbuilt Xbox One feature. I can't complain about that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Like I said,I get why people are upset, but were you guys really going to go over to each other's house to play online games on the same screen consistently? Or were you going to LAN this inferior version of CE just because of 60fps? Especially when you need an internet connection to LAN? I just underestimated what split screen MCC meant to you guys. Plus the tournament game of this collection seems to be H2A so far.

Yes, and proper H1 with online capabilities would have a tournament scene. I expected the fov and think the scene would adapt to that but fucked up timers, that's too far. Can anyone enlighten me as to how the PC timers behave?

If you're having a problem just don't buy the game and console. That's a lot better for everyone else instead of being sarcastic assholes

And I may do that, I haven't bitched once because that's not my style but I think it's fucking bullshit and appreciate the guys taking the time to bitch.

Your post is just bitching about bitching which is stupid so just let the people who are (rightfully) upset be upset and mind your own business.

In the meantime I'm reconsidering my desire to own this console/play this game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why would we go to a different game? there is not a single game in the world that plays remotely close to halo 1.

this, I don't need a game in my life but I love Halo 1 and want it there.

I can't remember, does proximity voice work after you've killed someone? Because if it does, saying "Xbox, record that" right after destroying someone would be the worst put-down possible.

• Upvote (+1) 4

IMO it's pointless having a fileshare. That feature has been succeeded by Xbox Game DVR. You get your whole game captured in-game, and you can share it easily, upload it or store it with an inbuilt Xbox One feature. I can't complain about that.

The issue is the Xbox's game DVR compresses video to an undesirable quality level.  Also for working on content it ruins recording different angles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand why quality would suffer from recording on the Xbox One? Because MS doesn't want users to spend forever uploading footage? If it went down to 30fps, I could understand that, but if someone wants to spend 30 minutes uploading a 1080p video to YouTube, let them. There's no reason why we shouldn't have that option.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it sounds rude, but it is true at the end of the day. Any old school player can get dropped in a middle of a halo 3 game and hold their own. If you flip that around and throw a halo 3 guy in a halo 1 game, they probably won't get more than a couple kills.

^^ I know that sounds like a dickhead thing to say, but the sad part is that it's true.

As someone who has been around since 02, I can honestly tell you that the CE guys just wanted to keep halo, HALO. Like others have said, anything after CE is not halo, it's just some sci fi shooter. Not saying the games are bad, but its like comparing Checkers and Chess. The later halos are so dumbed down, that it is hard for anyone who actually cares about the series to see it go in that direction.

Im not trying to be sarcastic, but the CE guys know best when it comes to what halo needs.

QFT

You are completely missing the point. That would be okay if the game DVR provided the same basic functionality as theatre first did back in 2007, 7 years ago.

Instead, we can just take 720p video with limited quality at a fixed (1st person) angle. Theatre allowed you to take a clip of any longer film, and share it with your friends so they could watch the clip back from any angle, and record in native quality. There are so many uses with that, and editing/montaging is one of the most prevalent. People like me who edit videos now have a headache ahead of them if they decide to work with anyone else's clips. It's especially dicky considering they didn't mention theatre much earlier so everyone just assumed it would stay the same - 'halo exactly as you remember it'.

It's great you're just dandy with the game DVR, but spare a thought for everyone this fucks over. I didn't play CE (although I definitely will at least a bit with MCC) but I still have sympathy for everyone pissed off at the CE oversights, for instance.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's never nice to have features not fully realised but if we're all honest Theater ranks low on the list of priorities in a project like this.

True, it's not the worst Halo news we've ever had. It's just a bit disappointing 'cause I kind of expected that it was going to be there. I really hope Halo 5 has theater running for everything.

The issue is the Xbox's game DVR compresses video to an undesirable quality level.  Also for working on content it ruins recording different angles.

Angles can still be recorded, you just can't save them to view later, you have to view the full film and re-record the angle onto your capture device.

Angles can still be recorded, you just can't save them to view later, you have to view the full film and re-record the angle onto your capture device.

This will add SO many hours of work  :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do montage makers get paid? If so the rates are about to go up for all the extra work that will have to go into it now

• Upvote (+1) 1

You'd think they would be able to make theater work. Is this really next gen? Shame :/

giphy.gif

my concerns "is the game good? yup, ok plays game"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do montage makers get paid? If so the rates are about to go up for all the extra work that will have to go into it now

why is that? we had to record our own shit back in the good ole days anyways

Depends on the editor and who the montage is for.

Now I have an opinion.

• No theater for campaign (and I presume SPOPs as well) is an objective step backwards. Some seriously cool screenshots can be made in there, since the environments are generally more detailed due to there being less action than a multiplayer match. Here's a favorite of mine, you can't get this in multiplayer. http://halo.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=105201079
  • There is, technically, the ability to record any length you want in multiplayer theater built into the Xbox itself. "Xbox, record that", Game DVR, or Twitch stream. Unfortunately, Twitch streaming is dependent on your upload speed, whereas the prior two are rendered in acceptable quality by Xbox servers. If you're like me, you can play shooters on dedicated servers just fine, but trying to stream to Twitch with a lame upload speed is going to give horrible video quality. Fortunately, I'd imagine there will not be many times where one needs to record something over five minutes, without a full match replay being acceptable. The inconvenience will arise occasionally though, and with Twitch being that solution, it may not work. They jumped the gun a little too quickly, but I completely understand why they did what they did. The ability to record is platform side now, why waste dev time adding in a redundant feature set?
  • Speaking of redundant features, why did they even include the ability to screenshot? Theater could have simply been a free roam camera playback of a game. Xbox IS getting screenshot support, after all. Admittedly, the place where clips and likely screenshots will be put, are rather out of the way from simply clicking on someone's file share.
  • I'm kind of glad this gimps montage makers. I have a strong dislike for fancy shmancy camera work that waste time. I watch montages to see some ass getting kicked, and gimmicky time wasters like zooming in on a sniper bullet doesn't impress me any further, it only makes me yawn.
  • But on the other hand, same gimping can also apply to machinima makers. I love machinima, so that's just unfortunate. At least it will hardly hurt RoosterTeeth though, I doubt they've ever relied on the proprietary capturing solutions of the game anyway.

Also. I'm a bit late to the party on that splitscreen fiasco. Let me just say that me and my bro had to give up coach co op in H4 because of the awful frame rates and FoV. It's next gen now, with the ORIGINAL game. WHY is it still a horrible FoV, when the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL game had a better FoV? Throw me a bone here, what the hell? I literally don't even care about the 'competitive aspect' of splitscreen H:CE, rolling MM in splitscreen was our shit for years. That small of FoV is just not enough for us.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1