CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I wonder, if CE had a Doubles playlist, would it be possible to play "online split screen" where you could always see your teammate's screen even when he wasn't playing with you locally?

Edit: I agree with whoever brought this idea up first.

this would be incredible

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's look at it in a real life combat scenario - marines/team mates on the battlefield are "yelling" at each other all the time. "Sniper on the bridge!", "Grenade!" etc etc. Soldiers on the battlefield don't have the privilege of having a FOV of their fellow comrades POV, so they rely on effective verbal communcation to work together as a unit. It requires skill and it is very difficult in a hectic/action packed environment.

They have to do that because they don't yet have technology from the year 2554 brah.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I won't deny that there is a skill and room to improve in player communication, but why force that issue? And like I said before, Halo 1 players still talk. 

If we had a 30 degree field of view then you'd REALLY have to communicate, right? The point is, chopping off one hand to make the other work harder is just silly. We should be striving to empower the players to be as fast and as deadly as possible, not conform to some people's entirely subjective opinion on what are the "right" type of skills for Halo.

Take 2 imaginary players of equal skill. They will OBJECTIVELY be a more formidable team on 1 screen. The total game knowledge is transferred from one player to another, without delay.

In addition, you can collect multiple streams of information simultaneously, i.e. you're in a fight, on death screen you can see that if you take 2 steps left you can grab rockets without actively looking for them, and potentially see where the 2nd enemy is coming from, AND know how long you have till you spawn your partner.

I can gather all of that info at the same time; it would take my partner a few seconds to spit all that out. I'm not saying there's no skill in prioritizing callouts and such, I'm saying it's needlessly cumbersome for a game as FAST as Halo 1.

I'm not going to argue that splitscreen isn't the more efficient way to play.  It obviously is.  But over the last 9 years, I have really grown to appreciate the role communication plays in competitive Halo, in terms of separating bad from good and good from great.  I feel like one's ability to accurately give his teammates necessary and timely information should mean the difference between success and failure.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of one player to a screen.  I guess part of me is really curious to see what high level CE would look like if you had to rely on your partner to give you that type of nuanced information.  I can't help but imagine a "Best Dead Teammate" MLG Pro Choice Award. haha

• Upvote (+1) 3

also you guys are forgetting that splitscreen is still in the game. it's still greater fov for halo2 and 3, probably 4.

All these arguments about seeing another player's screen is mute because of that. Those aren't Halo1 fov arguments, they're arguments for splitscreen to be taken out of halo as a whole.

And to that, I politely say fuck you. I love playing halo with my friends.

If 343 would change it so 108* fov would be the single and splitscreen fov, then I'm all for it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Reading some of this I almost think people forgot that you can still see your teams screens at lans. To this day. In any Halo. Its just on the monitor next to yours. Screen watching never really stopped being a thing

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So hey, guys. Guysssssss.

This page just went up for MCC and well fuck...

"Film clips cannot be permanently saved or shared in The Master Chief Collection. We recommend you use the Xbox One's amazing Game DVR and video streaming functionality to capture these experiences. Only multiplayer matches are recorded in The Master Chief Collection."

WHAT THE FUCK.

• Upvote (+1) 4

"Film clips cannot be permanently saved or shared in The Master Chief Collection. We recommend you use the Xbox One's amazing Game DVR and video streaming functionality to capture these experiences. Only multiplayer matches are recorded in The Master Chief Collection."

WHAT THE FUCK.

What the fuck? Is this real? mind = blown if so

Hopefully the dvr update is really smooth. Recording clips without a kinect was always kind of a hassle 

WHAT THE FUCK.

wait. so I can't make a film clip in halo3 and upload it to my fileshare?

also there is no campaign theater for halo3 campaign?

"Film clips cannot be permanently saved or shared in The Master Chief Collection. We recommend you use the Xbox One's amazing Game DVR and video streaming functionality to capture these experiences. Only multiplayer matches are recorded in The Master Chief Collection."

Welp, Abandon Thread.

Angel_Beats_Escape_GIF_by_zakaru13.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not going to argue that splitscreen isn't the more efficient way to play.  It obviously is.  But over the last 9 years, I have really grown to appreciate the role communication plays in competitive Halo, in terms of separating bad from good and good from great.  I feel like one's ability to accurately give his teammates necessary and timely information should mean the difference between success and failure.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of one player to a screen.  I guess part of me is really curious to see what high level CE would look like if you had to rely on your partner to give you that type of nuanced information.  I can't help but imagine a "Best Dead Teammate" MLG Pro Choice Award. haha

But would you intentionally cripple an established method of play to promote another? Would you abolish split screen to promote communication?

I appreciate solid team communication as well. I also appreciate killing the other team fast as FUCK. 

You said yourself, split is more efficient. The game is first to 50 kills within the confines of the rules. You CAN split screen. If you don't you are holding your team's potential back.

• Upvote (+1) 5

WHAT THE FUCK.

Right I am fighting Major Nelson fuck this shit

• Upvote (+1) 1

What the fuck? Is this real? mind = blown if so

Hopefully the dvr update is really smooth. Recording clips without a kinect was always kind of a hassle 

I recorded a ton of clips using the kinect. Worked well most of the time unless I tried telling it to record that after i just got done screaming loudly at the pwnage I beset upon the noobs. 

Having used the new double tap to record feature it is silky smooth and i would prefer using that unless the situation is so tense I can't afford the couple seconds to do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

WHAT THE FUCK.

Annoying but understandable. The XB1's built-in systems make clips redundant and a waste of effort to implement, especially for the sake of two and a half games, two of which will be played by exactly nobody. It's mainly going to be H2A that's effected. Shame, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I wonder, if CE had a Doubles playlist, would it be possible to play "online split screen" where you could always see your teammate's screen even when he wasn't playing with you locally?

Edit: I agree with whoever brought this idea up first.

I've been marinating on the idea of "virtual split screen" in a 2v2 environment where you're spectating your teammate online in the second screen.  There's a lot of awesome stuff you can do if a game is designed around this mechanic.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Annoying but understandable. The XB1's built-in systems make clips redundant and a waste of effort to implement, especially for the sake of two and a half games, two of which will be played by exactly nobody. It's mainly going to be H2A that's effected. Shame, though.

yes, nobody ever shared clips in halo3. never.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I recorded a ton of clips using the kinect. Worked well most of the time unless I tried telling it to record that after i just got done screaming loudly at the pwnage I beset upon the noobs. 

Having used the new double tap to record feature it is silky smooth and i would prefer using that unless the situation is so tense I can't afford the couple seconds to do it.

Yeah I haven't used my xbone since they released a couple of the UI updates. Before without a kinect you had to swap over to the app hit record and then it would sit there working on it for awhile taking up part of your screen. It took almost a minute if you were trying to go quickly. It would be pretty terrifying if it had stayed that way

Best one ever

Prophet Birthday Party

Every smack to the Prophet of Regret’s face is accompanied by epic Steve Vai guitar licks and lightning bolts.

• Upvote (+1) 3