CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Anddddddddd we're still talking about it. Wasn't this all said about 30 pages ago?

WE'RE STILL ANGRY! WE'RE YELLING!!!!

Knowing that teammates are spawning is just basic awareness that fullscreen players should have, too.

You can have basic awareness of these things on fullscreen. Fullscreen players will not be issuing 'jump on zero' randoms or making quick spawn related movements with even a fraction of the effectiveness that splitscreen players will.

Knowing EXACTLY when your teammate is going to spawn often means the difference between you living and having the desired effect, or dying. As I'm sure you're aware, you can die in less than a second in h1. You can't afford to be hanging around an area because you know your partner is spawning "soon". You have to know exactly.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You can have basic awareness of these things on fullscreen. Fullscreen players will not be issuing 'jump on zero' randoms or making quick spawn related movements with even a fraction of the effectiveness that splitscreen players will.

Knowing EXACTLY when your teammate is going to spawn often means the difference between you living and having the desired effect, or dying. As I'm sure you're aware, you can die in less than a second in h1. You can't afford to be hanging around an area because you know your partner is spawning "soon". You have to know exactly.

My point is basically that years of fullscreen makes you pay attention to exactly when your teammate dies, it makes you start that mental countdown from 5 to get those jumping randoms, but it can't make you see through walls to land a perfect grenade - that can only happen on splitscreen.

I'm not arguing against the benefits of splitscreen, I'm just saying the "see enemies around corners" argument is more compelling than the "perfect spawn time" argument.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should have just added a timer widget, and an indicator of your teammate's deaths. It wouldn't be as perfect as watching what they're doing at all times, but it's better than nothing.

Warlock in H2 had no OS. Just Camo top mid. You're probably thinking of Wizard though

Hahahahaha! Wow, I'm such a fail! That means... Ultra-Mega-OP-Classic-Warlord?  :kappa:

My point is basically that years of fullscreen makes you pay attention to exactly when your teammate dies, it makes you start that mental countdown from 5 to get those jumping randoms, but it can't make you see through walls to land a perfect grenade - that can only happen on splitscreen.

I'm not arguing against the benefits of splitscreen, I'm just saying the "see enemies around corners" argument is more compelling than the "perfect spawn time" argument.

LOL @ you knowing EXACTLY when your teammate dies on full screen. Who are you?! You're a GOD

• Upvote (+1) 3

LOL @ you knowing EXACTLY when your teammate dies on full screen. Who are you?! You're a GOD

welcome to sound whoring
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I hate posts like this. It's passive aggressive nonsense. You're basically just saying "deal with it".

I don't understand how other people can't wrap their heads around this issue. Split screen is important for a shit ton of people because THAT IS HOW YOU PLAY HALO CE. That's how it's been played for over a decade. And not because it was the only option available. It's just significantly better to play that way.

It's people like you that don't care about this kind of shit that gives developers like 343 the idea that they can make these kind of changes. It's frustrating.

My only point was this-

people are making it sound that CE is ruined because of the FOV/split screen issue.  I acknowledged that the issue sucks (why change it in the first place?), but i firmly believe the most skilled team will still win. I do not think it is a deal breaker. I am just happy CE has xbox live and that halo is back.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Where is that picture of Halo 2's FOV that has been edited to showcase what it would look like if the developers fucked with their game? Could someone make that for Halo 3 as well? This site contains more competitive players than other halo related sites, and there's still a huge group here that don't understand why we're upset.

I'd like to be able to show those pictures to people who simply lol don't care about the issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

but i firmly believe the most skilled team will still win.

You could use that logic to justify Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My only point was this-

people are making it sound that CE is ruined because of the FOV/split screen issue.  I acknowledged that the issue sucks (why change it in the first place?), but i firmly believe the most skilled team will still win. I do not think it is a deal breaker. I am just happy CE has xbox live and that halo is back.  

The reduced split FOV issue lowers the skill gap of the game so the most skilled team will still win but with less skill required. Your argument is shit and doesn't address any of the last 20+ pages of points that have been made by the people you're telling to let it go. Stop being lazy while believing you're somehow contributing to the discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where is that picture of Halo 2's FOV that has been edited to showcase what it would look like if the developers fucked with their game? Could someone make that for Halo 3 as well? This site contains more competitive players than other halo related sites, and there's still a huge group here that don't understand why we're upset.

I'd like to be able to show those pictures to people who simply lol don't care about the issue.

I don't think I've seen that picture, though I'd definitely like to.

Here are a few things that may come in handy, in addition to the pics already posted in this thread.

AhEdr.png

FOV Images

• Upvote (+1) 3

Really? You can hear everytime a teammate dies on HH?

Sounds like you need to step up your game and invest in a pair of Gunnar glasses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sound whoring all day.

If you can't hear people spawning across midship, you ain't playing the game right. (or dying across HH in you CE guys case)

this sound thing is stupid anyway. Your partner can just TELL you he's dead, that's not the problem. The problem is that he'd have to give you a countdown out loud EVERY TIME HE DIES. Maybe 41 times in one game if he's Mantrain. That's in addition to relaying any information he's seeing on his death screen.

"fuck I'm dead. 5....4....a guy's about to port, 3.... no wait he's not, 2, no yes he did, 1, his partner has rockets, oh shit I already spawned... wow, thanks for the nice spawn bro... 5..."

And don't tell me you wouldn't need a countdown or you'd do it all in your head. That's nonsense. You have to make literally split second decisions every single game based on spawning. Of course, if you're playing people that suck, maybe you don't. But we're talking high level here.

• Upvote (+1) 6

this sound thing is stupid anyway. Your partner can just TELL you he's dead, that's not the problem. The problem is that he'd have to give you a countdown out loud EVERY TIME HE DIES. Maybe 41 times in one game if he's Mantrain. That's in addition to relaying any information he's seeing on his death screen.

"fuck I'm dead. 5....4....a guy's about to port, 3.... no wait he's not, 2, no yes he did, 1, his partner has rockets, oh shit I already spawned... wow, thanks for the nice spawn bro... 5..."

And don't tell me you wouldn't need a countdown or you'd do it all in your head. That's nonsense. You have to make literally split second decisions every single game based on spawning. Of course, if you're playing people that suck, maybe you don't. But we're talking high level here.

Idk if that was directed at all toward my comment but I was just trying to be funny to the people who know me. I agree with you 100%, I love splitscreen Halo 1 more than anything. 

If it were up to me, even if I was playing online, if I could still be in splitscreen but have my teammates screen below mine like a spectator, I would. That would be such a cool feature. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Idk if that was directed at all toward my comment but I was just trying to be funny to the people who know me. I agree with you 100%, I love splitscreen Halo 1 more than anything. 

If it were up to me, even if I was playing online, if I could still be in splitscreen but have my teammates screen below mine like a spectator, I would. That would be such a cool feature. 

nope. and I agree with your feature wish

and to elaborate a little bit, I think they could do that fairly easily with their theater code. since theater is just a recreation based positions and inputs, they could do the same thing in real time and display it on your screen. All positions and inputs are already being sent to everybody anyway, obviously. Shit would be sick

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to try to make an argument that accepts the change in FoV for H1. Please don't take this as the "H4 or H3 OMG TIZ KID HAZ NO CLUZ WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT" post. Just try to listen to me for a minute.

So as I've read over the past couple pages is that split screen has been a very huge factor in competitive H1 gameplay due to the ability to see your teammates screen which includes their respawn, weapon pickups, etc. Others have commented on how callouts could suffice but H1 players have retorted that seeing your teammates screen is much faster. I absolutely agree that seeing your 1 teammates screen is definitely faster, but isn't there some skill in being able to relay your location and status to your teammate? Don't you think that same logic could be used for H2 and on? Why isn't that such a demand in H1? I get that because of the limitations split screen was the obvious choice at the current time period I really do. But seriously, of all people, I would of thought that H1 players were open to options pertaining to the advancement of competitive Halo. Personally, I see callouts and more teamwork (even though its only 2v2) as a better thing for competitive Halo. 

I am more than welcome to a reply about this and guarantee I will not neg you (If you care about that sort of thing)  

This is an excellent point.  Communication really ramped up once Halo went full screen.  Whenever I watch or have played with very good CE players, there is almost no communication.  There is certainly a skill gap in communication.  If you don't think it separates great teams from good ones, watch some Instinct gameplay from Reach, it was absurd.  Players barely needed to communicate in CE.  Now they will. The game just got a little harder.  I would hope that a playerbase that boasts the biggest skill gap would be able to appreciate this.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

and to elaborate a little bit, I think they could do that fairly easily with their theater code. since theater is just a recreation based positions and inputs, they could do the same thing in real time and display it on your screen. All positions and inputs are already being sent to everybody anyway, obviously. Shit would be sick

That would be pretty wild and quite a leap forward in allowing players more customization of their experience (something Halo devs have always been strict on keeping internal). It would show a much stronger bond with the community if they did that. Interesting. I'd be reminded of that Tekken chat someone posted here where the dev and the community hash out pretty much every little detail to craft the ultimate experience. Halo would be the greatest game ever if it had that level of interaction.

• Upvote (+1) 1