CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Many a forger have attempted a map with a floor under the water. If memory serves, Goat was one of them. The opaque water is a rather problematic implementation to that design. 

I've done it a lot as well. I usually use a colosseum wall, scoot it down until completely submersed, then duplicate and magnetize one immediately below that. It allows for about a foot or so of water (knee high or so) that way. Any lower and you die walking on it.

However, you can't see nades, weapons, etc. Therefore, I usually only used it for small trenches or something like that.

You know what would be sick? If they got more beaten up and weathered as you played more matches..... Just me? ok

No, not just you. I actually put that idea on my wishlist after Reach. I wanted both objects and player armour to degrade as you played. It's a pretty common thing in fighting games, for example. I think the next level of visuals is not about polygon counts, but is more realistic and dynamic environmental elements like bullet holes/scuff marks on armour, dust & smoke from grenades tarnishing the armour, etc.

I also wanted the same thing for maps/Forge, especially with regards to degrading wall pieces (not all of them, but a select group of objects from each object type maybe), environmental visual cues like steam sprays/bursts that you can place near pipe objects, fire objects that you can place on top of old, non-working Warthogs or inside rooms that look worn down, glowstick groups (like you see in campaign in Halo 3 sometimes) for visual cues especially for bases and long hallways and such, water objects (like 2-way shield doors) that when placed basically just act like a flat water surface giving the impression of a body of water (e.g. a river or pond or something, even a puddle).

They sound like little things, but when you put them all together, they can really make a difference visually. I think that is the way forward, not making maps that are super (read: overly) detailed with textures and such like Halo 4 (coughAdriftcough) with tons of objects adding too much visual noise. Just simple, elegant, effective effects that don't distract from gameplay.

Supposedly its been unofficially confirmed they will fix the FOV, but who knows boys.

Also IDK if I'm allowed to post this here, sorry if I'm not - but we are lanning Halo 1 right now and streaming - the serious games will be later tonight.

Me, Your Dog, SPUD, Yogi, Zefy, Finny, Scrubtwista and others will all be playing later. twitch.tv/xzefy

So the good kids will be showing up later?

Supposedly its been unofficially confirmed they will fix the FOV, but who knows boys.

Also IDK if I'm allowed to post this here, sorry if I'm not - but we are lanning Halo 1 right now and streaming - the serious games will be later tonight.

Me, Your Dog, SPUD, Yogi, Zefy, Finny, Scrubtwista and others will all be playing later.   twitch.tv/xzefy

Followed.

I really do hope the FOV and the weapon times end up being fixed.  Do you know anything about this confirmation?

And woah there's over 500 upvotes now, this is my first thread on reddit ever haha.

Any rumors on weapon/power up spawn times?

I feel like this is a much more pressing issue than FOV at the moment.  Most people will be playing MCC single screen and if spawn times are PC than it affects everyone and not just people who will be splitscreening.  

PC timing has been leaked.  

You mean it's been confirmed?

I don't know whether it's best to focus on timing of FOV at this moment.  Fixing timing is better for everyone, but FOV probably will stick if not fixed right away, while timing is something that people will keep fighting for IMO.

When you create a map why would you need it to be transparent? Serious question. There is a difference betwwen games. I do notice that.

In addition to what those above have mentioned (seeing weapons that are just underwater), transparent water also lets the player know how deep the water is in a certain area. In Halo 4 you can't tell the difference between an inch of water and the Mariana Trench. IIRC the water caused problems on The Ark bc players would run up to the boat for cover thinking the water was shallow and commit suicide.

There's literally no advantage to opaque over transparent other than performance (which, considering how much 343 have been touting "xbox one so great much power wow," shouldn't be a problem). And while the water in H2A forge being fully walkable means we no longer have to worry about suicides due to depth, it makes figuring out kill barriers at the edges of a map problematic and obviously stops any deep-water shenanigans or underwater maps (which were pretty cool - they made for some scary infection games).

• Upvote (+1) 2

W

Followed.

I really do hope the FOV and the weapon times end up being fixed.  Do you know anything about this confirmation?

And woah there's over 500 upvotes now, this is my first thread on reddit ever haha.

Grats Hitzel, that was a perfect post with images, well constructed, didn't ramble. I actually just upvoted it (i rarely upvote anything) then logged on beyond forums to see if you guys were talking about it. I was surprised to see you were the one that made that post lol.

Well done. 343 should really comment on this. If they don't comment it means that they can't fix it and they don't want blood in the water before the game comes out. If they can fix it, they should 100% comment that this is going to be fixed and then everyone will jump on the 343 hype train again.

I don't know whether it's best to focus on timing of FOV at this moment.  Fixing timing is better for everyone, but FOV probably will stick if not fixed right away, while timing is something that people will keep fighting for IMO.

Yeah its been confirmed. Maybe someone have a thread for FOV today then make a thread for spawn times.

I can see that, there's a lot of CE players who aren't on these forums or keeping up with all the updates and the first thing they'll notice is the timing is not the same and they'll fight for it. 

I'm sure both are relatively easy fixes that can be patched in an update, but it's best to get it patched before the game is released.

This is through word of mouth from a halo pro talking to someone close to the game development, supposedly if it isnt correct on launch it will be patched not long afterwards.

@@Patch Stay we can't all live in halo mecca like you bic boy.  Let me get a full commentary of the main event, c2/yd vs zeph/finny later

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is through word of mouth from a halo pro talking to someone close to the game development, supposedly if it isnt correct on launch it will be patched not long afterwards.

@@Patch Stay we can't all live in halo mecca like you bic boy.  Let me get a full commentary of the main event, c2/yd vs zeph/finny later

Csquared, did your "source" mention whether powerups/weapon timings will be Xbox or PC?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea Hitzel PC timers were confirmed by same guy who released the FOV picture.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Grats Hitzel, that was a perfect post with images, well constructed, didn't ramble. I actually just upvoted it (i rarely upvote anything) then logged on beyond forums to see if you guys were talking about it. I was surprised to see you were the one that made that post lol.

Well done. 343 should really comment on this. If they don't comment it means that they can't fix it and they don't want blood in the water before the game comes out. If they can fix it, they should 100% comment that this is going to be fixed and then everyone will jump on the 343 hype train again.

Pfft, did you forget what I'm capable of?  =P

---

@ I do plan on making a thread about the weapon times in the near future if no one else does, but I don't want to interfere with the exposure the FOV thread is getting right now so I'm going to wait.

• Upvote (+1) 5