CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Honestly,t he FoV thing cuts both ways a little bit - the fullscreen FoV is higher in CEA/MCC than it is in the original despite not being quite as wide as the splitscreen FoV on the first Xbox. For mostly online play that's not the worst compromise in the world despite the impact it will have on LAN.

I may be off on this, but as a player who is eager to learn a new style of Halo with H1 in the MCC I'm much more concerned about the possibility of the timers not being addressed. Forgive the use of this word, but I can see players adapting to a funky HUD and FoV being the lesser evil than being unable to properly adapt to drifting timers with any consistency. If the timers are not patched then I struggle to see how this offers anything meaningful at all for long time Halo 1 players, whereas I can't quite say the same for the FoV (despite it still being a perfectly valid concern - those splitscreen screencaps are awful) since it's actually an improvement for the majority of players who will primarily play fullscreen.

tl;dr: We should be much more concerned about the possibility of the PC timers being untouched.

I think that would be because all the people left on CE have been playing nothing but that for the past 12+ years, making them top tier at the game, whereas Halo 3 is a game where people new to the franchise can pick up on their (almost) current gen console and boot on Xbox Live and blend in with whoever is still active. CE is not as seamless to get into, so it gets almost no new players as of now (will change w/ MCC).

Point is, while I'm not debating that CE is a much more skillful game and has a deeper meta, pretending that an old school player can hop on Halo 3 and do good against top tier players of that game is borderline nonsense.

Haha, very funny sir, going from CE to Halo 3 might be one of the easiest things any good CE player can do, Ogre 2 for example, on the other hand.... ANY Halo 3 Pro that isnt Ogre 2 can go back to CE and will get demolished by even average CE players. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

tl;dr: We should be much more concerned about the possibility of the PC timers being untouched.

I could not agree more. If the powerups are spawning at random intervals instead of on the minutes that is a much bigger issue and splitscreen FoV is secondary. However the fact that the game is launching and we are hearing from people with early access that the powerups are spawning randomly like PC is quite disturbing to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I could not agree more. If the powerups are spawning at random intervals instead of on the minutes that is a much bigger issue and splitscreen FoV is secondary. However the fact that the game is launching and we are hearing from people with early access that the powerups are spawning randomly like PC is quite disturbing to me.

They don't spawn randomly, they just spawn at weird times.

fine, I ACCEPT it

LOL. I sure do know how to make myself look like an idiot. But I've come to grips with that over time and learned to except myself for who I really am. ;) I'm OK with it. I'm just a guy who's really freaking antsy to play CE online. And there's nothing wrong with that.

They don't spawn randomly, they just spawn at weird times.

Right, but some of the drift increments aren't exactly feasible to track and respond to as precisely as the original timers. Losing out on that precision results in the blunting of a fairly significant execution and knowledge based skill.

This is all over a FOV split screen discrepancy.

No, it also has to do with the different timings and map geometry- pretty huge parts if original CE.

Ymez2hc.gif

Let's all chill a bit. Look at what we have. This is all over a FOV split screen discrepancy in 1080p 60 fps Halo CE that we get to play with Halo 2 ranks over the internet on dedicated servers.

Best gift ever. Thx for the laugh!

mcc-ui-customization3-003df040692542b18d

Exhales dramatically

I'm going to spend a looooooooot of time in customization/unlocking tons of shit....

EDIT:

Are those colored 'bars' individual of the four games (and beta)?

There's a big difference between changing a hitscan weapon to projectiles and lowering the FOV in splitscreen.

They both drastically alter the way the game is played, the point is that if this happened in H2, there would be rioting in the streets, but since its CE which most have never even played at a competitive level its not a big deal to most. 

I invited 2 Hooter waitresses back to my place for some late night Black Ops 2 action. 

Did I have 2 xboxes? No. 

Did they both bring theirs? No.

Guess what made that drunk night a whole lot better? 

Split screen.

Yeah, shut up. It should never be taken out of console FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I invited 2 Hooter waitresses back to my place for some late night Black Ops 2 action. 

Did I have 2 xboxes? No. 

Split screen.

+1 sir.

Proof that Split Screen is still effective.

• Upvote (+1) 2

+1 sir.

Proof that Split Screen is still effective.

Dude, i could write a book on how split screen changed my life.

But I'll save that for another time.

Screen watching on split screen is something of a skill I thought back on goldeneye.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Screen watching on split screen is something of a skill I thought back on goldeneye.

I was top tier screen water. Only many years later did I put it to good use in 2v2's on CE and then FFA at MLG and then early round 4v4s.

Good

Fucking

Times

Haha, very funny sir, going from CE to Halo 3 might be one of the easiest things any good CE player can do, Ogre 2 for example, on the other hand.... ANY Halo 3 Pro that isnt Ogre 2 can go back to CE and will get demolished by even average CE players. 

OK, so far for this particular situation, the two examples provided to me were Patch & Ogre 2 as the "average of good CE players". Just because the odd few can do it, doesn't make it true for most, let alone ANY.

Now read this quote again.

Any old school player can get dropped in a middle of a halo 3 game and hold their own.

Point stands. I get that CE has a small community where everyone feels close to one another, but you can count the players on Ogre 2's level on one hand. They are not representative of the average good "old school player".

It's ONLY a matter of how good you are at learning and how experienced you are with different shooters' mechanics (assuming you can aim and think well) and how good your mindset is towards learning. The rest is history. If you took the same players, Patch & 2gre, and pretend Halo started with 3 and progressed towards CE, their ability to grasp the game mechanics in comparison to other players would stand out the same. They would just spend more time learning the more intricate meta that makes the CE learning curve longer and greater than the later games (nade spots, trick jumps, weapon mechanics, spawn mechanics, timing to mitigate fall damage, the do's and don'ts of glitches, etc.)

I just want to reiterate that I acknowledge that CE has a much steeper learning curve and leaves you less time to learn in the middle of a game, and is more skill-based than other Halo games. But pretending that Halo 3 is dumbed down to the point where ANY old school player would do good in their first game of it against what is considered the average good at it is bullshit.

Anyway, I'm kinda done with this. I don't wanna keep this going back and forth. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly, what's the bfd about split screen anyways? The only reason splitscreen was such a huge part of CE was the 4 box limit in system link, and just the nature of moving heavy ass CRT TV's. Yes, I understand that split screen gave you a wider field of view. But its not like the game plays bad with the full screen FOV. It'll still be fun. So your FOV will be a little smaller...it just really isn't that big of a deal. So will everyone else's. And when are you thinking your going to split screen anyways? Most of your games will be online in full screen. Everyone is gonna have their own gear at a LAN because monitors are easier to travel with than CRT TV's, and MCC CE will support up to 16 Xboxes. The FOV was literally the only reason to play split screen at this point. I just think we're at the point where people only split screen when the other guy on their TV doesn't have his own Xbox.

This really isn't something worth complaining about, and thats coming from a CE guy. Our impossible freaking dream is coming true. Lets not act like spoiled brats about it.

You clearly did not read any of the points I or anyone else made regarding playing halo 1 on splitscreen. Congratulations on getting everyone to agree with you though. :/

You're a Halo CE guy, huh? shame

• Upvote (+1) 4

Seems pretty lazy to me, I don't understand the reasoning behind it except for perhaps oversight on the favouritism of split screen in H1, although that would be making excuses. While I'm not exactly at anger levels close to some of the H1 names I recognise here, I don't see why we can't all agree that it's pretty damn stupid and unnecessary to not include a larger FoV for Split Screen.

If it WAS an oversight I hope it gets corrected, if it was intentional I hope a reason is provided and it still gets corrected. Although as cT said lately with Halo it's been about hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Did I have 2 xboxes? No. 

Split screen.

There are a lot better Multiplayer games you could have been playing. js