CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

So, I'm hearing about the potential remake of Reach/ODST and I would like to comment with: Not Reach, it's already free. ODST would be a nice addition.

Also, epic page number. :bravo:

Halo 3 was free awhile back. It shouldn't be in the collection.

/logic

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone know the music from the Halo 2 cinematic trailer?

I don't remember it from the Halo 2 soundtrack but it's absolutely stunning. I love Halo 4's soundtrack but if there's anything it feels like it was missing as a Halo soundtrack, it's music like that.

So I discovered something very interesting when it comes to super bouncing in h2c:

I originally thought that the change from 4:3 to 16:9 would be the only thing affecting super bouncing, but I recently played some h2 on my original xbox again and discovered something very interesting: As we all know NTSC runs at 60 hertz interlaced and Halo 2 runs on 30 fps. PAL has PAL 50, which runs at 50 hertz, and PAL 60, running on 60 hertz. Halo CE only supports PAL 50 so the game itself runs at 25 fps, making it feel slower than NTSC CE. When playing H2 on PAL 50 I couldn't super bounce at all, but as I changed it to PAL 60 I was able to do it every single time like I used to back in the day. So basically the frame-rate does affect superbouncing a lot, the only question is whether it is only on 25 fps that it doesn't work or if it needs to be at exactly 30. Thus superbouncing might either work exactly like it does in the original h2 (with some spots probably being slightly different due to the change from 4:3 to 16:9) or not at all because it needs 30 fps to work.

If you were an art style you would be Halo Reach or something, I don't fucking know where I'm going with this.

excuse me while I apply some burn cream

honestly the best thing about borderlands was its art style, I'm so sick and tired of the more realism=better BS that we keep seeing within the industry, frankly halo 4 was the most realistic halo yet and we saw how that ended up...

developers need to stop being lazy and need to focus more on making games feel unique and well... interesting.

I agree. I love Borderlands. I just don't think Halo should take that route. The colors in H4 I think were too vibrant... IDK if that's the right term for it, but whatever. 

So I discovered something very interesting when it comes to super bouncing in h2c:

I originally thought that the change from 4:3 to 16:9 would be the only thing affecting super bouncing, but I recently played some h2 on my original xbox again and discovered something very interesting: As we all know NTSC runs at 60 hertz interlaced and Halo 2 runs on 30 fps. PAL has PAL 50, which runs at 50 hertz, and PAL 60, running on 60 hertz. Halo CE only supports PAL 50 so the game itself runs at 25 fps, making it feel slower than NTSC CE. When playing H2 on PAL 50 I couldn't super bounce at all, but as I changed it to PAL 60 I was able to do it every single time like I used to back in the day. So basically the frame-rate does affect superbouncing a lot, the only question is whether it is only on 25 fps that it doesn't work or if it needs to be at exactly 30. Thus superbouncing might either work exactly like it does in the original h2 (with some spots probably being slightly different due to the change from 4:3 to 16:9) or not at all because it needs 30 fps to work.

That's odd. I knew the frame rate was a factor, but I thought it was due to the Spartan mesh "glitching" through the ground and the forces pushing the mesh back up with a high intensity which then launched the player in the air. My thoughts being that, I figured, the player mesh wouldn't move as far between frames, thus lowering the amount of force needed to push the player back above the surface, pretty much removing Super Jumping. But I could be wrong since it sounds like 25fps has a bit of a fix somehow. 

going for realism doesn't mean "no art style".  Even games based on things that exist in real life don't just scan environments into the game.or something.  Forza Horizon is incredibly realistic, but it still has a visual style that would set them apart from reality even if they had infinite hardware power backing them up.

With things based on science fiction, there's even more room for creativity: inventing designs for armor, environments, ships, stars, aliens.  art style is about the design and presentation of everything, not how realistic or not it appears.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Continuing the Mockingbird hype train...and I am 100% going to rebuild this in H2A if I buy MCC (read: If I buy an XBox One)

Base to Base view

izw5F0B.jpg

Base Overhead

wXSbHfK.jpg

Own tower to Enemy Base

SJHWTX5.jpg

I dunno why I feel so compelled to actually finish this map, but it's building itself quite well.  All the pieces fit like a glove.  Still have to finish red base and then do weapons and such.  Anyway, rest of the images here.

In theory, the map would play well for Flag (you have isolated sides of a base for spawning/running flag routes) or Bomb (multiple entry paths into a base where a player can push in while players are dead, segmented/large enough that respawners can't immediately stop a bomb) and possibly Slayer, though the layout doesn't really suit Slayer unless you go full asymmetrical spawns, and even then it's a bit too rectangular/not square enough for a Slayer Arena map.

It ultimately keeps the "midship" familiarity without being a Midship knockoff, since power positions are skewed diagonally and have SEVERAL sight lines they can't see, while also being more susceptible to nades than Midship/Onslaught towers.

It's not bad at all.

That first image reminds me of "Landfall" from Halo 4 a bit (from the open area near where Rockets spawn, looking toward the back/shaded part of the map where the lifts are).

Design wise, I'm all for it. Could use a bit of work as far as pieces go though. Now I understand that it's just a precurser build so I really shouldn't be nitpicking about the piece usage or aesthetics, but I really can't stand when maps have mismatched textures

That's me as well. Which is why my map builds go so slowly. I do dry-runs of fitting pieces together to make sure the map layout works (I also use graph paper to plan it out, using each square as representative of a 1x1 block piece as a reference), and then once I start the final build, I take ages just getting each part of the map looking as great as possible.

It sometimes hurts me because I end up running out of a particular piece or set of pieces (e.g. blocks, inclines, or walls) too early and have to make substitutions that I really don't want to, lol.

For example: I started a map a couple weeks ago. I've worked on it on 4 separate occasions / sittings. Each time, I spend about 4 or 5 hours, and I pretty much only define & refine an area that accounts for about 5% of the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm at a crossroad with H2A. While I wish H2C would be the competitive title for MCC, I'm fully aware H2A will be that game. I'm just happy that halo is back and a viable game will hopefully be competitive again. H2A actually looks fun; however, the issue obviously.. limited map pool. I'm worried that turning our competitve map pool into a bunch of forged maps mixed with sanc and lockout will drive away the casuals quickly and kill the game. Also, because there is no competitive league that has truly picked up MCC yet community forged maps will really only be good for customs. I mean in H3 it worked because MLG hosted every event and the forge maps were on a matchmaking playlist on the game. This might not be the case for H2A and I want to know your guys thoughts/solutions to this.

I'm a bit torn on the subject.  While remakes/spiritual successors can produce reliable gameplay, that reliability comes hand in hand with stale gameplay.  Also, the presence of familiar maps seems to deter players interest in trying original designs.

Regarding arena maps in particular...  It's like there's some type of mental block associated with them.  Even forgers, who tend to be a bit more on the creative side than average, often struggle to create something other than 2 base 2 tower with a bridge in the middle.  There's a ton of untapped potential there.

I wouldn't mind seeing something based loosely on Haven.  Scale it down.  Add verticality within each level, and try to blur the lines between the upper and lower levels (right now it's basically two flat levels that connect to each other).

• Upvote (+1) 1

yea....construct is a very poor example of a halo map that has vertical gameplay. The majority of fights happen on the streets, O3/C3 and gold.

And Library. Plenty of action in there

I have a feeling that 343 will release a couple of free forge maps in the game. Like they did with Reach. It'd be cool and hopefully there are badass community maps. Can't wait for nextgen ish forge. 

I have a feeling that 343 will release a couple of free forge maps in the game. Like they did with Reach. It'd be cool and hopefully there are badass community maps. Can't wait for nextgen ish forge. 

They've already announced 3 'Skybox' forge maps that will be included as part of H2A.  I'd be pretty surprised if they release any additional forge maps after the initial release.  Who know though...they're already doing much more than I expected with forge.

I'm remembering a map someone made a year or two back that was a small-medium map basically comprised of four separate square-ish rooms with different elevations in each. I remember it being one of the only original forged maps that impressed me. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? 

Carbonite?

• Upvote (+1) 2

They've already announced 3 'Skybox' forge maps that will be included as part of H2A. I'd be pretty surprised if they release any additional forge maps after the initial release. Who know though...they're already doing much more than I expected with forge.

I agree. 3 unique sky boxes, 100 disc maps, and 12 months to halo 5 I think we can rule out additional forge environments. What I like about Forge MCC/H2A is it reprents the starting point for Forge 5.

I hope they add merge into Forge MCCH3