CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

If were talking asymetrical, a map like Powerhouse (always loved it) or Guardian would be solid. Also Oasis from NBNS Reach was awesome.

Just trying to think outside of the box :) 

I just realized that my favourite maps of all time, Lockout, Hang 'em High and Zanzibar are all asymmetrical.

Technically an asym is twice the map that a sym is. They require far more strategy, have much more varied gameplay, and are less repetitive. For those reasons they are more enjoyable. Probably my favourite map for 4v4 is Guardian, specifically oddball, because you can strat talk that map all day and still be coming up with better ways to do things, whether its a new starting strat, new nade spots (so many more in asyms), a new setup, a new push etc. other maps can only provide so much; hold pink, pull their flag towards our base...yeah what else can you really do? Linear syms are so shallow compared to asyms, sucks that so many people are fanatical about being even.

So the point is, I'm not surprised at all that your favorite maps happened to be asyms

• Upvote (+1) 3

I went ahead and threw together a concept in Forge in about an hour -- note that this is just HALF the map (read: one base, one tower) thrown together as CONCEPT (read: Not finalized geometry because there's no point) and so sight lines, power weapons, geometry, etc. would still need major tweaking for a finished version.

Anyway, here's a link to some pictures: Mockingbird.

Finish the map!!

EDIT - Also if you add extraction cylinders to make a fancy logo on the wall everyone will shit their pants at how great you are

I went ahead and threw together a concept in Forge in about an hour 

Floor under bases is too open as is imo, should restrict the floor space/make it more interesting somehow instead of just the result of level 2 being made. Other than that looks really solid man, looking forward to the full thing :)

Basically we can use so far for gametypes with maps that are rotational through versions.  Just for the love of god don't forge the H2A weapons, spawn, anything leave them vanilla with the environmental elements.  An no forge remakes either!!!

Ascension - TS Potential Extraction & KoTH

Lockout - KoTH - Oddball - TS

Sanctuary - Bomb3 - CTF3 - TS

Asymmetrical Forge Map - Extraction - TS

Symmetrical Forge Map - Bomb5 - CTF5 - TS

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, does Halo 2 Anniversary look like a last gen (Xbox 360) game due to having to run with the old graphics and loads of other content on the same disc, or is it due to the whole diminishing returns thing? I'm wondering if Halo 5 will actually look next gen at all.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the quality of Halo 2As graphics, but I want a better idea of whether we can expect the same thing for Halo 5, or a noticeable increase.

Guys, does Halo 2 Anniversary look like a last gen (Xbox 360) game due to having to run with the old graphics and loads of other content on the same disc, or is it due to the whole diminishing returns thing? I'm wondering if Halo 5 will actually look next gen at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the quality of Halo 2As graphics, but I want a better idea of whether we can expect the same thing for Halo 5, or a noticeable increase.

Well it is more of a side project, not a fully fledged title like Halo 5: Guardians is going to be.

TO YOU it isn't. To Sally or Joe, they still have that sour taste of Halo 4 in their mouth and all the things listed reminds them of H4. So I ask you, how is H2A the best chance at Halo going mainstream when Halo 4 already ruined H2A for the average Joe/Sally?

Wrong.

Casuals didn't hate Halo 4, they loved it. The nature of that market, however, is that those same casual players will casually switch to a different game when their ADD kicks in, or some shiny new game debuts.

As for "hardcore", veteran, or pro players--whatever you like to call them--have largely praised Halo 2: Anniversary and were not bothered by the "sour taste of Halo 4".

You're just arguing to argue at this point.

EDIT: For clarification.

Wrong.

Casuals didn't hate Halo 4, they loved it. The nature of that market, however, is that those same casual players will casually switch to a different game when their ADD kicks in, or some shiny new game debuts.

As for "hardcore", veteran, or pro players--whatever you like to call them--have largely praised the game and were not bothered by the "sour taste of Halo 4".

Umm, what?

Umm, what?

Perhaps I didn't word it properly: I meant to say that they largely have praised Halo 2: Anniversary, and that the fact that it has a few minor similarities to Halo 4 hasn't bothered them that much.

The problem with most Forged maps is that a lot of people confuse "arena-style" with "Midship-style".

I for one have always tried to create unique maps that aren't just a variation of Midship or Wizard/Warlock. I typically make symmetrical maps, but do so with the intention of maintaining key aspects (e.g. red base, blue base, 2 "side-base" or "side-route" areas). And I've just recently started to get a lot more complex with the 2 non-red/blue base "sides" of my maps, making them both different from each other, and different from the 2 main red/blue bases.

It's a tough thing to do though, and even tougher to get it "right". Which I think explains why a lot of maps end up being very Midship-like: people follow what they know works.

I went ahead and threw together a concept in Forge in about an hour -- note that this is just HALF the map (read: one base, one tower) thrown together as CONCEPT (read: Not finalized geometry because there's no point) and so sight lines, power weapons, geometry, etc. would still need major tweaking for a finished version.

Looks like a great starting point, actually.

With some refinement, it could potentially be an amazing map, from what I can see just from the pictures anyway.

For the love of fucking god, if you're going to remake The Pit and Narrows then it better be for CTF only and not TS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I got excited from the front page showing h3 in 60 fps but bummed when it was the stuff from the campaign we've seen. Hope more stuff comes out today for ce and h3 multiplayer.

Wrong.

As for "hardcore", veteran, or pro players--whatever you like to call them--have largely praised Halo 2: Anniversary and were not bothered by the "sour taste of Halo 4".

EDIT: For clarification.

If the casuals had loved it so much they would have stayed, and the huge population drop we all know of wouldn't have happened. And I dont see tons of people switching away from the latest Call of Duty installment either just because Destiny or Titanfall or whatever comes out.

Floor under bases is too open as is imo, should restrict the floor space/make it more interesting somehow instead of just the result of level 2 being made. Other than that looks really solid man, looking forward to the full thing :)

Sight line adjustments and additional pathways always come after primary map geometry.  In contrast to most Forgers or map designers, I don't actually draft a sketch or whatever that Google program was of the map before I start putting it together.  I take a dynamic approach and adjust accordingly.

My main problem with that design as it is; it's too flat.  There's only a couple of half steps (Floor 2 to Tower, the ramps to the right of the base), no other height variation apart from literal levels of difference.

I'd also likely add a lift in the back of the low hall to go up to the back hallway upstairs; the back hallway and the low hallway both break the Rule of 3 (they only have one way out plus going back the way you came...two options.)

And I dunno if I'll ever actually make the full thing.  I don't have an XBox One -- and I'm still not convinced I want one.  I was just throwing together a general mock-up of the idea I want in H4 Forge to get the point across for what I meant by "a base with a ring around the top of the base and the objective on the ground floor"

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the casuals had loved it so much they would have stayed, and the huge population drop we all know of wouldn't have happened. And I dont see tons of people switching away from the latest Call of Duty installment either just because Destiny or Titanfall or whatever comes out.

Casuals don't stick with anything. They always flock to something new when they get bored with it and casuals get bored fast. They had their fun, they saw something else that peaked their interest so they moved on. As for not going over to other games, Titanfall was really boring and so similar to COD that people probably became bored with it even faster and moved to something else.

I think more causal player are going to go to Destiny here in the next month or so. The game has been out just over a week. They don't switch instantaneously. They switch when they get bored. Plus it's been given some bad ratings. I'd agree that it didn't live up to it's hype. I feel like I just beat the game last night and I didn't even get it on launch day. It's pretty bad and I'm not even going to touch the mess of PvP that the game has. I hear the Raids can take a long time and are pretty rough to complete, but that alone isn't going to keep people playing long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The difference there is that Call of Duty is a multiplatform title, for one thing.

And for another thing, there are a LOT more people playing Call of Duty that are vested in it, for various reasons (e.g. streaming / making money, competing, etc.) than there were/are for Halo at the moment. Halo isn't the top dog, so there's really no incentive to stick with it. Even when Halo 4 came out, Halo was still further down the list of the most popular FPS games (sad but true).

I have heard / seen from various sources that casual players absolutely love Halo 4, They don't have or are even aware of the same gripes & complaints that more competitive players & Halo veterans have of it, simply because it doesn't matter to them or the nature of their play style.

I think we need to answer what these maps would be used for and where? If we're not creating maps for competitive play, I don't see the point in using them.

Personally, I'd like to see maps made for fun with an objective that isn't competitive. For example, playing the jumping maps ( I can't remember what they were called ) on Narrows. You'd spawn under narrows and you had to jump your way across the map; games and maps like those were incredibley fun.

You could also make a map that excells at zombies, I haven't played zombies in a looong time.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Scythe may play well, but just looking at it I can't help wondering if it was thrown together and got promoted due to its segmentation. It is essentially two levels through out, boring to look at, and shows no design pattern whatsoever.

Midship is favored because (as it has been explained to me) due to the pros and pro wannabes understanding how to dominate on it so well - they got that map under their belt well - and they don't want to move on. We need to force them to move on by NOT offering a midship remake.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The difference there is that Call of Duty is a multiplatform title, for one thing.

And for another thing, there are a LOT more people playing Call of Duty that are vested in it, for various reasons (e.g. streaming / making money, competing, etc.) than there were/are for Halo at the moment. Halo isn't the top dog, so there's really no incentive to stick with it. Even when Halo 4 came out, Halo was still further down the list of the most popular FPS games (sad but true).

I have heard / seen from various sources that casual players absolutely love Halo 4, They don't have or are even aware of the same gripes & complaints that more competitive players & Halo veterans have of it, simply because it doesn't matter to them or the nature of their play style.

You were arguing that casuals will just switch to "the next shiny thing" but argue with "And for another thing, there are a LOT more people playing Call of Duty that are vested in it, for various reasons (e.g. streaming / making money, competing, etc.) than there were/are for Halo at the moment"

Those people are obviously not what anyone would call "casual" so they really dont matter for the point you are trying to make.

Besides, the competitive playlist in halo has been netting less than 1% of the total playerbase consistently during Reach/Halo 4 and to a lesser extent even Halo 3.

Which means that if  there is huge drop in population, it can only be because the average player doesn't like the game enough to stick with it.

This is not rocket science.

Plenty of people have complained about Halo 4, the "competitive" community and the "casual" community alike.

Reach had COD as competition through its entire lifespan and although it didnt do as well population wise as H3, it is nowhere near the barren wasteland that H4 matchmaking is now.

Heck H:R online count rivals H4s (not talking about the fact it is free at the moment), even though it is significantly older. I dont know about H3s because the 24h counter isnt as comparable to the concurrent one they use now, but I wouldnt be surprised if that has a similiar amount of players.

This is because most people agree that while Reach might have done plenty of things wrong, things took another significant turn for the worse with H4.

I would also really like some examples of what casual players "absolutely love about Halo 4". Halo 4s downfalls have been beaten to death, so I feel I dont really need to provide examples for what  I think is wrong with it.

PA1NTS I Believe.

Not sure of his exact gamertag, but that's correct

Scythe may play well, but just looking at it I can't help wondering if it was thrown together and got promoted due to its segmentation. It is essentially two levels through out, boring to look at, and shows no design pattern whatsoever.

I sort of agree here. Plus, this is more of a 2's map than a 4's.

Looks inspired by Complex from Goldeneye. I like it. Also, I've never sketched anything either. Might as well build now and correct later.

-

I sense people here would like to see vertical / room-based maps. There is hope after all.

Midship is favored because (as it has been explained to me) due to the pros and pro wannabes understanding how to dominate on it so well - they got that map under their belt well - and they don't want to move on. We need to force them to move on by NOT offering a midship remake.

Or people could simply just enjoy how fun it is the generally play the map in fours. Just saying

You were arguing that casuals will just switch to "the next shiny thing" but argue with "And for another thing, there are a LOT more people playing Call of Duty that are vested in it, for various reasons (e.g. streaming / making money, competing, etc.) than there were/are for Halo at the moment"

Those people are obviously not what anyone would call "casual"...

You're right, those people aren't. But a lot of the people that follow / watch them are. That's my point: CoD is multi-platform (wider audience already right there) and there are more people providing content for it (which appeals to the masses that aren't as skilled/don't have the means to stream/whatever).

In other words: CoD is more accessible, period. So you can't really comparatively place Halo next to it and hold it up to the same criteria.

Also, comparing Halo 4 (and to a degree, even Reach) to Halo 3 is apples and oranges for a completely different reason: Halo 2 and Halo 3 were earlier games in the franchise lifespan, so the "novelty", if you could call it that, of Halo was still relatively new. Not to mention, Halo 3 debuted at a time when there weren't nearly as many other options for console FPS fans. Today, there are an overwhelming number of options. More options means less monopoly of the market, and the bases are diluted significantly.

P.S. Go look at any Halo 4 YouTube video, or on any video game website's forums (non-competitive forums, unlike this site) and you'll find plenty of gamers praising Halo 4 for a variety of reasons: none of which have anything to do with competitive gameplay.