CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

When do we get to see more MCC info or game play from any of the games in MCC ?

They'll be talking about Halo CE this month, pretty soon actually. 

Lol, can't tell if you're being sarcastic or delusional. If CE is the most played/flagship title of MCC, I will film myself eating a sweaty dirty sock, post it here, and dedicate the video and my sig to you.  

Did a double take then.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With H2A around the corner and poised to be the choice of competitions (much in part to it being the shiny new game compared to the rest of TMCC), we should start thinking about how we're going to compensate for the lack of solid Arena styled maps shipping with it. Sure we could shoe horn sub-par maps like Accension into the 11-gametype framework, but is that really the best option? Given the many tallented forgers that are members of the community, how about we turn to them? There has always been a disparity in the relationship between forgers and  top-players as forgers more often than not are stubborn and want to push their designs in lieu of what the competitive community actually wants... So how do we address this?

Lets tell the forgers what we want.

In your comments please state the styles of maps, design traits and promoted playstyles you want to see forged around.

I'll lead by example with what I'd like, which of course coincides with my reputation for spiritual successors and what I'd like to forge right off the bat:

A Midship styled successor: The typical two--base-two-tower model, much akin to Onslaught and Simplex of the past, but more in line with the intricate design traits that made Midship so great. I'll take an accurate Midship remake over Ons/Simplex/Amp a thousand times over.

A Derelict styled successor: A fast paced open atrium map that forces players to constantly keep their head on the swivel. I'm thinking a combination of design elements from Derelict and Desolation.

A Construct styled successor: Vertical gameplay at its finest. Revolving around simultaneous control of multiple power positions to control the map.

And of coursee a Narrows styled successor: Elongated map with central choke points that players are funneled towards, albeit with better flanking and movement options than the original H3 map.

What do you guys want to see? Please describe in your posts below.

Cheers!

• Upvote (+1) 9

No more successors to a previous map, especially midship. Create NEW maps that take NEW strategies with NEW designs that offer players the opportunity to outplay their opponents in many ways.

Pretty much this. This would mean: Build some damn asymmetrical maps damnit!

• Upvote (+1) 7

Just saying, I haven't even payed for 1 game on my xbox one and still plan on getting Master Chief Collection for free :) thanks bing rewards and game sharing.

How did you get it for free?

New maps in general please.  I'm sick and tired of playing the same maps over and over throughout the Halo series.  To be quite frank, I'm tired of playing Pit, Midship, Chill out, and others I can't remember right now.  So please for the love of gaming, make new fucking maps.

Remake Sanctuary with no raised cars and no cover R3.

No. Changing maps is what killed Halo in the first placed, even if it's just as minor as this. We as a community need to play the game the way it was designed to be played. Except no radar

Downrush or riot!

Seriously - I don't think we need more than one Midship inspired map. More focus needs to be put on getting the best out of KotH and Oddball.

H2A also features Extraction - let's do it right this time and design maps that play best with 2 sites active at a time so we avoid it becoming a poor KotH knockoff again.

Then maybe 1 or 2 more symmetrical CTF maps of different styles would be nice. But we should try to avoid excessive Narrows-esque linearity and stay away from remakes in general (the one exception I can think of would be Warlock given that it's a 4 way symmetrical CTF map and doesn't look horrendous when Forged).

And for goodness sake lets see some more Rockets and Powerups in H2A; H2C's maps that were in use circa '07 were really lacking in these. Let's try to move competitive Halo away from being a BR & Sniper dominated space where Sniper multikills are the most common and impressive big plays. Yes, they're great, but the game's sandbox offers so much more to wow viewers and other players with, why keep diluting the size of necessary skillset to succeed?

EDIT: Akademik hit the nail on the head.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm remembering a map someone made a year or two back that was a small-medium map basically comprised of four separate square-ish rooms with different elevations in each. I remember it being one of the only original forged maps that impressed me. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1-2 small but different symmetrical maps that play like Midship/Amp/Onslaught - played for slayer and flag, bomb variants nothing else.

LOTS and LOTS of bigger asymmetrical maps with lots of imagination but careful to balance everything from each spawn. Lets accidentally create some GOAT gameplay. Need to get more oddball and king back in there.

I don't like seeing remakes exactly, but something inspired by construct and narrows would be good, something with 2+ vertical levels and something with a big open incline/middle open space being key points of such maps.

No. Changing maps is what killed Halo in the first placed, even if it's just as minor as this. We as a community need to play the game the way it was designed to be played. Except no radar

it was sarcasm breh

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm remembering a map someone made a year or two back that was a small-medium map basically comprised of four separate square-ish rooms with different elevations in each. I remember it being one of the only original forged maps that impressed me. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Scythe?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Scythe?

love this map....its so good...this is what happens when forgers aren't limited to what they should make for competitive settings....flourish forgers...flourish

• Upvote (+1) 3

I honestly love small, fast paced arena maps like Midship and Warlock. They work great for FFAs and for a variety of team gametypes. We definitely need a map like for 5 flag and other objectives. 

Awesome asymmetrical maps are always a plus, especially if they favor vertical gameplay over horizontal. The idea of Construct was always appealing to me because its one of the few modern Halo maps that featured vertical gameplay. Symmetrical maps that are more vertical can work too. 

Any original maps in general. I really don't want remakes. Forge should be advanced enough that people can focus on more original ideas. Its fine to take inspiration from old maps. For example, I never liked Narrows that much but I think a bridge like map could be cool thematically and be unique. An inspired version of Derelict as the OP mentioned would be pretty cool. It would need more access to the top floor (but not be a fuckup like Desolation). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Id want a warlock remake simply because I love the map and its easy to forge but yeah new maps would be nice. Honestly all these midship successor suck. They don't do it for me And this is comming from someone who loves midship

Also to add on I just want to say id like to see designs that accommodate for little powerups. As odd as that sounds sometimes I like to play gametypes that don't involve rockets and duel snipes. I love raw primary gun skill games where the maps are small enough for constant pushes without the need for powerups. It shows whos able to really control points maps with nothing. Too many of these maps and its a problem however.

Memento perhaps?

Memento perhaps?

Memento and Scyth I actually couldn't stand.

Here I was thinking there'd be a lot more posts about elements that people want in maps, instead it's just bickering between remakes and originality, with the latter party still not stating design elements they'd like to see...

• Upvote (+1) 1

design elements they'd like to see...

• Circuitous flow with intentional breaks to empower/weaken positions.

• Maps with differing levels of verticality eg: Prisoner vs Rat Race - both are interesting maps with elevation changes, but Prisoner has much more interactivity between the levels. Both styles of maps offer something different, and so are both valid.

• More focus on map control as a balancing act between controlling naturally powerful positions and putting that positioning at risk in order to contest powerups/weapons that appropriately counterbalance said positions.

• Logical spawn systems that support the map's geometry intelligently. By this I mean avoiding both ends of the safety spectrum - both excessively safe spawns and spawns that are particularly unfair to the spawners (Onslaught or Halo: Reach Sanctuary come to mind - they "worked" in that players learned how to play them, but I don't particularly think the gameplay loops they lead to are healthy for Halo's 4v4 metagame) should be avoided.

• Good implementation of skill based jumps.

• Don't be afraid to use teleporters.

Those are just a few things that I think are important for Halo maps aimed at 4v4 gameplay that come to mind while I'm at work. Overall though I want to see the Forgers' originality shine through; players are adaptive and as long as the maps aren't designed contrary to the game's mechanics and aren't so devoid of depth that players can learn them like the back of their hands in just a few games I don't see any reason for the community to attempt to direct or curb the vision of the people who make the maps.

If anything I think the onus is on the community to be more open-minded and less quick to cast unfavourable judgement on a map that doesn't immediately fall into the comfort zone of most players.

• Upvote (+1) 5