CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

On 9/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, TeeJaY said:

If they were to add BXR/BXB again they would need more risk involved. As far as I'm concerned there was no reason to not resort to BXR/BXB in close quarters 100% of the time in H2. The main reason they seemed inconsistent was because of the shitty melee registration.

It's also because almost no one aims their beatdown lunges.  

On 9/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, TeeJaY said:

If they were to add BXR/BXB again they would need more risk involved. As far as I'm concerned there was no reason to not resort to BXR/BXB in close quarters 100% of the time in H2. The main reason they seemed inconsistent was because of the shitty melee registration.

That's the point. People resorting to a regular beatdown and shot or regular shots then beatdown is slower and emphasizes how Halo has nothing to offer at that range. You want it to be resolved quickly and at least with one of those two combos the player who is better at executing wins quickly and you're back to fighting at ranges that actually work for Halo. Plus all of the crouching and everything that goes on has some depth to in in the games that a lunge can miss in

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

That's the point. People resorting to a regular beatdown and shot or regular shots then beatdown is slower and emphasizes how Halo has nothing to offer at that range. You want it to be resolved quickly and at least with one of those two combos the player who is better at executing wins quickly and you're back to fighting at ranges that actually work for Halo. Plus all of the crouching and everything that goes on has some depth to in in the games that a lunge can miss in

Adding melee combos just so melee battles can end .05 seconds quicker seems like a huge waste of potential. I'd rather they be skillful and risky maneuvers instead of the standard. But for that to work they would need to go the CE route and get rid of melee lunge completely, which would never happen anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Adding melee combos just so melee battles can end .05 seconds quicker seems like a huge waste of potential. I'd rather they be skillful and risky maneuvers instead of the standard. But for that to work they would need to go the CE route and get rid of melee lunge completely, which would never happen anyway.

They are more skillful than the regular melee battles as they are. Actual pro players miss BXRs or melee too slowly all the time in H2 and its not just MCC melees not registering. You can just miss a lunge or have someone duck below your melee in H2 if you don't aim it well enough especially when you jump but that's really beside the original point anyways. They don't really have a high bar to meet because the bar for melee range skill in Halo is lying on the floor so you don't really need a big brain strategy to make the bxr harder to use or anything to see improvement. Its simple existence is already better than H3 onward

I'm sure someone could try to come up with some much harder skill based way to do essentially what a BXR does but all that would really do is loop back around to people just swinging regular melees exposing how bad the game is up close. Coming up with ideas like that which actually work is really hard. A good recent example is the Infinite pistol where that thing was REALLY hard to use cross map. It was so skill based in fact that even the best players opted to not even try to cross map with it for the most part and instead tried to get closer to where they could actually aim. It was so difficult it actually made the game worse instead of more skill based

On 9/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, potetr said:

If you feel the same way:)

I think the system could be better but no, this is just what time does. You are forgetting what it was like before. the quitting in halo was MASSIVE. every single game ended 4v1 or 8v1-2. Now most games will end 4v3-4 or 8v4-8 or the new 8v0 or 4v0. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Riddler said:

I think the system could be better but no, this is just what time does. You are forgetting what it was like before. the quitting in halo was MASSIVE. every single game ended 4v1 or 8v1-2. Now most games will end 4v3-4 or 8v4-8 or the new 8v0 or 4v0. 

I didn't have that experience at all. Most games ended 4v4 or 4v3 in my experience. And even those instances of 1-2 remaining on a team, just quit and start over. I think that's fine. Atleast you wouldn't have to wait 5, 15 or 30 min to do so. I'll take quitting over being held hostage in a shitty gamemode, or against one remaining player who won't quit. Matchmaking failures also happen often: this system ends playsessions, unlike a bunch of people quitting. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:20 AM, Riddler said:

I love how this video I made in like 2005 found its way to YouTube and still gets posted around lol. Gotta love the Windows Movie Maker text boxes. I should do an HD remaster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

7 hours ago, Pyroteq said:

I love how this video I made in like 2005 found its way to YouTube and still gets posted around lol. Gotta love the Windows Movie Maker text boxes. I should do an HD remaster.

that was posted like 200 pages ago how did u find it lol.

The simplicity is what gets the point across. 

8 hours ago, potetr said:

I didn't have that experience at all. Most games ended 4v4 or 4v3 in my experience. And even those instances of 1-2 remaining on a team, just quit and start over. I think that's fine. Atleast you wouldn't have to wait 5, 15 or 30 min to do so. I'll take quitting over being held hostage in a shitty gamemode, or against one remaining player who won't quit. Matchmaking failures also happen often: this system ends playsessions, unlike a bunch of people quitting. 

it was mine and others' experiences which is why it got implemented in the first place. Quitting was brought up so often i'm sure it was one of the most common complaints for mcc. so 343 definitely saw it and that's an issue they felt like they could try to tackle. 

"just quit and find a new game" is easy to say. But quite literally, every mcc btb game ended 8v2 before the 50 kill mark or before we cap the 2nd flag. it's ridiculous. It makes the game not enjoyable at all when you can't even play a semblance of the game. I just want to play 8v8 on waterworks slayer and I definitely never got that pre-quit ban. My quality of games drastically improved. 

the veterans all know you can just quit and change accounts as well. but plenty will just stay in game rather than bother switching. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:00 PM, OG Nick said:

It's so hard to play Halo right now. CE is broken, H2 is so connection reliant being in Oregon is tough as hell, H3 admitadly works but it's still Halo 3, Halo 4 and Reach speak for themselves. 

I need a new fun game

Overwatch. But not on console.

• WutFace (+0) 2

15 hours ago, Riddler said:

it was mine and others' experiences which is why it got implemented in the first place. Quitting was brought up so often i'm sure it was one of the most common complaints for mcc. so 343 definitely saw it and that's an issue they felt like they could try to tackle. 

"just quit and find a new game" is easy to say. But quite literally, every mcc btb game ended 8v2 before the 50 kill mark or before we cap the 2nd flag. it's ridiculous. It makes the game not enjoyable at all when you can't even play a semblance of the game. I just want to play 8v8 on waterworks slayer and I definitely never got that pre-quit ban. My quality of games drastically improved. 

the veterans all know you can just quit and change accounts as well. but plenty will just stay in game rather than bother switching. 

Then I'm glad for you. I hope they adress the matchmaking failures somehow, and let you quit when the enemy team has one guy. And add join/rejoin in progress. That would help a lot.

I feel like sharing a story that's so frustrating it's almost funny.

Opened MCC the other day, started searching, found a match. Matchmaking fails. 5 min ban.

Wait it out because I really wanted to play some Halo.

The same thing happens again. Do something else for 15 min.

Search again. Team slayer on Edge. Fuck.

Three of enemy team quits right away. Understandable, it's a large donut, not a 4v4 map. 

Try to tell last guy he can quit without penalty, but 343 has turned chat off by default.

I can't quit as I'll get a 30 min ban, and I don't have time for that as I have to get up early.

Game goes on forever. Atleast the map is pretty. Finally only 30s left. 

As I try to noscope the one dude, the game freezes. I'm sent to menu and banned for 30 min. 

Atleast no one on my team quit.

Contacted a 343 community person on twitter, asking if these issues is something she can pass on to the right design team, politely. She immediatly blocks me. The day after the person retweets a gif of a dog eating watermelon.

• Fire (+1) 3

I'm 106 pages behind in the Infinite thread, with another flight starting in two days. I refuse to post in it until I'm caught up, because I'll lose my automatic bookmark that the site keeps. So, see you guys sometime in November maybe.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 4
  • WutFace (+0) 1

20 hours ago, T_ReV said:

Overwatch. But not on console.

Even disregarding all the stuff with Blizzard, I would never wish the experience of playing Overwatch on my worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Is it normal to get booted instantly on PC and just unable to play Multiplayer at all

1 hour ago, PolyG said:

Is it normal to get booted instantly on PC and just unable to play Multiplayer at all

you don't need to add "on pc"

but yes, it's been normal since 2014. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/30/2021 at 10:22 PM, Hard Way said:

I'm 106 pages behind in the Infinite thread, with another flight starting in two days. I refuse to post in it until I'm caught up, because I'll lose my automatic bookmark that the site keeps. So, see you guys sometime in November maybe.

There's some good shit amongst the usual good shit.

14 hours ago, Shekkles said:

There's some good shit amongst the usual good shit.

I was logging onto this site tonight to say fuck it, post something, and skip all that I missed. I’ll hold off for now.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

I was logging onto this site tonight to say fuck it, post something, and skip all that I missed. I’ll hold off for now.

Unprompted opinions regarding the new H3 maps and #settingz

Waterfall: Liquefied dog shit, completely unsalvageable.

Edge: Pudgy with a lot of extra, unnecessary real estate, but I think there's potential here. Gotta condense the action; with the exception of the flag rooms, delete all weapons and respawn points from the map's outer perimeter. The only reason to ever venture out there should be when trying for a long flank a la lily pads in Dammy or needles in HEH, and the likelihood of getting sniped while doing so should be an obvious deterrent. Since this map doesn't have any established meta and needs the help, go ahead and add skill jumps across the red/blue chasms and I think teleporters in each flag room going to/from one of the big rooms (indoor would probably be better) would be good.

Camo theoretically should be very valuable on this map considering how open it is, put that dead center. Snipers must be moved out of those upper cubby things, maybe stick them where the sentinel beams are now. Drop the rockets, the map is too open and horizontal for them to be all that useful.

Turf: We can finally forge Turf... I think there's some fun to be had on here with rockets. Obviously anyone down on the street will be toast, but I'm also imagining pegging people from below if they're up on those inner rooftops. Game types, though... the map was built for territories, might it work for KOTH?