CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

I've joined modded maps on the browser before (Xbox). Not sure how they were able to do it.

Modded forge variants, or modded maps? They're different things.

2 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Modded forge variants, or modded maps? They're different things.

Oh good point. The maps themselves weren't modded. One was on forge world and it had objects that were large as fuck (like a gigantic killball). Another one had custom text that would appear on screen depending where you stood. Why is that allowed and not maps? I don't know much about modding.

10 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

So the question is, are button glitches good for Halo, or were they merely necessary because the core gameplay was so dumbed down? 

CE has button glitches/unintended mechanics and they weren't a negative aspect. Don't even really have to talk about H2 to conclude that they add additional depth at no cost

The vast majority of our button glitches also occur exactly where we needed them to which is pretty lucky imo. Basic reloading and melees are probably the two least skilled parts of Halo from CE to H5 in general and almost every glitch was getting the correct timing to reload faster or increasing the pace/skill around combat in melee range

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine if, instead of nerfing the H2-H3 BR, Bungle built a sandbox around a double shot capable BR.  Embrace that shit with a bumper jumper style control scheme, Shoulder Reloader.  Make flames shoot out of a red hot barrel.  Loading screen tips, the whole nine.  Could have continued to redefine the genre.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

I have yet to see an implementation of button combos that doesn't make macros or modded controllers a rampant issue, especially nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1

You could also argue that they introduce a very unintuitive skill gap to the game. Similar to Spartan abilities in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only button combos I like are those that are in CE. I don't have a problem with them, but I think there are more straightforward ways to add mechanics to a game. 

I personally don't really see any issues with button combos as a mechanic. There is an entire genre based around them already. Anyone that wants to cheat is already going to be cheating now that the games are on PC. You can detect macros and the like and fight that battle but anyone that really wants to cheat will just hack for real with aim bots/seeing through walls etc. So preventing the average user from using a macro would actually be pretty easy as far as things like that go since those guys are only half heartedly trying to cheat. You'd stop most of them forever in your initial implementation and the rest of the time be battling the more hardcore type of cheating

The only reason they didn't seem straightforward is because they weren't intentional. If you advertised a game as a mix of fps and fighting game and showed off the button combos prominently it would look and feel authentic and expected. I actually have no idea how that isn't its own genre of FPS. It would be a lot more unique than the millionth class based team shooter and I think the premise actually sounds fun and exciting

• Like (+1) 3

I think people are forgetting one particular aspect of button combos which is that they are ergonomically unintuitive to the n'th degree. A shooter is different from a fighter in that the latter provides far more freedom of input, whereas with the former you have two thumbs glued to either analog stick for movement and index fingers stuck on the fire button and either grenades or jumping. It's even worse on PC where you don't get the luxury of having L3 and R3 conveniently under your thumbs without taking up another physical button. To do basically every button glitch in Halo history, you either have to move your thumb off of the aim stick or induce arthritis and learn to claw, both of which are stupid design flaws. Button combos shouldn't be deliberately implemented in a shooter until something like controller paddles are standardized on the equipment that the console ships with (and you don't have to buy a $150 paper weight like the Elite). PC players I don't know what to tell you except enjoy your mouse with a telephone dial pad on it.

• Like (+1) 3

button combos can be fun. but something like a doubleshot is just too game changing and is way too prone to macros. double meleeing with grenade in CE is something that works because it's not always best to double melee because it puts you at risks and uses resources. whereas in h2, there's no benefit to not double shotting with the br. 

I'd like to introduce better technical skills by simply making headshots do more damage. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Riddler said:

a doubleshot is…way too prone to macros

If only this mechanic were for a game with strict control of what apps and peripherals the player has access to.  

30 minutes ago, Riddler said:

making headshots do more damage. 

Pass.  Final headshot allows engagements to begin sloppy and fine tune as they go.  It allows engagements to evolve.  Final headshot accommodates the inherent imprecision of joysticks for the majority of the engagement while still testing them at the end.  

Balancing two killtimes per weapon is already difficult enough.  The more potential killtimes you add, the less significant the differences between them become.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think you could just add the BXB/BXR to every Halo game after H2 and they're instantly a better game. The YY reloads to cut off the animation early would also just be a flat upgrade. Its unfortunate that Halo developers hate the players and fun because those button combos in CE/2 were Halo's version of bunny hopping. Emergent gameplay that should've been officially supported instead of joked about and removed

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

The double shot was not "too game changing", it was a difficult glitch to consistently execute and aim at the same time that would almost certainly kill the user if they failed to do it correctly. There's maybe a couple hundred people who can consistently double shot. 

It's hilarious when the redditors are all "Button glitches make the game too sweaty". Motherfucker, you've never run into a guy who can RRX consistently in your entire life. At worst, you landed in a lobby with some kid and ate a couple BXRs. It's doubly hilarious when the redditors think that BXR/RRX/etc are too game breaking but absolutely love the energy sword (which is 10x stronger than either button glitch and takes 1/10th as much skill to use). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I think you could just add the BXB/BXR to every Halo game after H2 and they're instantly a better game. The YY reloads to cut off the animation early would also just be a flat upgrade. Its unfortunate that Halo developers hate the players and fun because those button combos in CE/2 were Halo's version of bunny hopping. Emergent gameplay that should've been officially supported instead of joked about and removed

honestly, pressing yy for faster zoom/reload is so simple yet so satisfying. 

• Like (+1) 5

It's so hard to play Halo right now. CE is broken, H2 is so connection reliant being in Oregon is tough as hell, H3 admitadly works but it's still Halo 3, Halo 4 and Reach speak for themselves. 

I need a new fun game

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

It's so hard to play Halo right now. CE is broken, H2 is so connection reliant being in Oregon is tough as hell, H3 admitadly works but it's still Halo 3, Halo 4 and Reach speak for themselves. 

I need a new fun game

CSGO

10 hours ago, OG Nick said:

I need a new fun game

H3 is the best option in MCC and is very connection reliant. If I get good server I do well if I don't get a good server I look like a noob. 

If they were to add BXR/BXB again they would need more risk involved. As far as I'm concerned there was no reason to not resort to BXR/BXB in close quarters 100% of the time in H2. The main reason they seemed inconsistent was because of the shitty melee registration.