CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Thought I didn't get an invite to the flight, but I just realized that the invite went to spam so I unfortunately didn't get a chance to check it out.

Oh well.

To those of you who've ran with me before it'll be obvious I haven't hopped on in the past 6-7 months, it's amazing what not playing/caring particularly hard about MCC does for your mental health

Recommend it once in a while. Just say no to MCC's bullshit and do something you'll find enjoyable, like a cold shower followed by a 2 hour nap.

Also yes, Halo 3 undeniably has the best overall visual design. High contrast, clean lighting, and very low visual clutter while still having detailed textures and looking absolutely fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Question: Which Halo has the best overall netcode and lag comp? 

This factors in both the consistency and the competitive nature of the netcode. For example, dropping shots is obviously horrible, but overly forgiving melees (AKA Reach, where it's practically impossible to not trade in melee fights) and shooting is also bad. 

Halo 3 would probably be at the absolute bottom for this. Horribad BR registration, the second easiest game to trade melees in, and a ridiculous level of lag comp assistance on the sniper rifle. 

19 hours ago, _Synapse said:

To those of you who've ran with me before it'll be obvious I haven't hopped on in the past 6-7 months, it's amazing what not playing/caring particularly hard about MCC does for your mental health

Recommend it once in a while. Just say no to MCC's bullshit and do something you'll find enjoyable, like a cold shower followed by a 2 hour nap.

Also yes, Halo 3 undeniably has the best overall visual design. High contrast, clean lighting, and very low visual clutter while still having detailed textures and looking absolutely fantastic. 

Hopping back on this week for the first time in a while, I'm quickly reminded of one of the biggest reasons I stopped playing last time. I keep getting banned from matchmaking for no reason. I thought it was because of maps not loading and getting kicked back to the main menu, which is a bad enough problem in its own right that's literally been happening since launch. But no, it's happening after I finish games. Sometimes multiple in a row. And the bans keep getting longer. Makes absolutely 0 sense, considering I've voluntarily quit maybe 1 game in the past 6 months. If the custom game browser that was promised years ago was out, I wouldn't even have to play matchmaking in the first place. This game is still all sorts of broken, and it's downright depressing sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Question: Which Halo has the best overall netcode and lag comp? 

Ive had less trouble on Halo 5 and Halo 2A than any other Halos when it comes to connection. Even on heavily delayed servers I could always fight back

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Ive had less trouble on Halo 5 and Halo 2A than any other Halos when it comes to connection. Even on heavily delayed servers I could always fight back

The secret is to just up the bullet mag to the extreme so when it doesn't reg you don't think you should have hit your shot anyway.

On h2a, i had 50% packet loss before and was still hitting shots... like 3seconds after my last one. They probably died so far behind the wall on their screen. Some client side detection going strong. 

I'd honestly vote for h2v when they used increased bullet speed. It really felt like I was host every game. 

• Like (+1) 3

If 343 is good at anything they are very competent on the net code side of things. H4, H2A, and H5 all had excellent hit detection from my experience. 

I wonder if they will ever work on the net code and hit detection issues for H3, CE and H2. I'd say it is still the main thing that holds back those games, but instead they focus on cosmetics and other secondary features. I don't really understand why getting the actual games themselves into their best possible state isn't the main priority. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NAK said:

don't really understand why getting the actual games themselves into their best possible state isn't the main priority. 

Because it’s not the rage, It might be really difficult or something like that. Changing the net code of the old games into something more modern I’d imagine isn’t easy. And in h1s case they used the original pc port netcode which is from 03 I believe. From my understanding you’d have the rewrite everything From scratch and taking the chance of it breaking something major just I’d imagine not something they care to risk.

I don't know how the fuck 343i managed to build such rep with MCC starting back in 2018. There's gotta have been a psyop somewhere. 

If not, then Halo fans are depressingly fucking oblivious about their own games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I don't know how the fuck 343i managed to build such rep with MCC starting back in 2018. There's gotta have been a psyop somewhere. 

If not, then Halo fans are depressingly fucking oblivious about their own games. 

There was never full-on widespread outrage for MCC. The gaming media outlets and their softball reviews/lack of investigative pieces were a big part of it. The whole multiplayer component was basically ignored while the value of having all the campaigns in one place and upgraded was played up.

Aside from that, it's possible that the core Halo playerbase had shrunk too much by the time MCC came around, meaning the bulk of the people talking about it were casuals who didn't care much about the multiplayer.

The rest of the goodwill is from the PC ports. 4K/unlocked FPS/wide FoV put on a good show for that crowd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FarSight XR~20 said:

There was never full-on widespread outrage for MCC. The gaming media outlets and their softball reviews/lack of investigative pieces were a big part of it. The whole multiplayer component was basically ignored while the value of having all the campaigns in one place and upgraded was played up.

When the game released in 2014 is a big part of that reaction. MCC as a game would have been torn apart in the current internet culture surrounding gaming and pop-culture in general, but it released during a time that was pre Star Wars sequels, Game of Thrones, and the countless other things since then that helped monetize and spread the idea that constantly shitting on something can be a lucrative business. 

Obviously that reaction would have been largely deserved in the MCC's case, but the game lucked out by releasing during a time it was able to get away with it. 

A large portion of Halo fans being older and having mostly moved on from the games also helped in that regard I'd imagine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I don't know if I consider people that didn't know how trash MCC was for years serious Halo fans

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NAK said:

When the game released in 2014 is a big part of that reaction. MCC as a game would have been torn apart in the current internet culture surrounding gaming and pop-culture in general, but it released during a time that was pre Star Wars sequels, Game of Thrones, and the countless other things since then that helped monetize and spread the idea that constantly shitting on something can be a lucrative business. 

Obviously that reaction would have been largely deserved in the MCC's case, but the game lucked out by releasing during a time it was able to get away with it. 

A large portion of Halo fans being older and having mostly moved on from the games also helped in that regard I'd imagine. 

Idk I'm pretty sure MCC was listed everywhere as being actual garbage to the point that (probably actually Microsoft's demand) 343 has worked to "correct" the mistake since then. That's why they came out and made a big deal about returning to MCC to fix it. I think the real fact of the matter is that MCC was at the time simply a console game for a series that has a big name and small player count. Basically its not that it released at a good time more so that it just isn't important enough to garner more attention than it did. Trash games are released daily check out steam and you'll realize that we never hear a word about them. I guess what I'm saying is that if you released a console only MCC today in 2021 the reaction would be the same imo. A lot of noise and build up before the letdown into moderately popular to complain about into being forgotten because who cares about Halo anyways in 2021. 

The big complaining culture as far as PC gaming has being going strong as a marketing tool for content creators for basically forever. Totalbiscuit would be a great example of it in the past. The trick for most of these guys has always been putting on the appearance of staying critical and reasonable but at some point just getting emotional (usually in a negative albeit funny way) that provides entertainment to go along with the review or whatever it is that they do

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was a lot of bad press eventually about MCC being the dumpster fire that it was but all of the pre-release coverage was glowing, and short post release coverage was overly forgiving.  And frankly most game reviewers aren't multiplayer-centric so they don't give a shit. Some quick googling shows that there is now a disclaimer at the bottom of the IGN review from 2014, where they gave it a 9/10 admitting they screwed up and initially gave it the 9 under the ASSUMPTION that the multiplayer would get ironed out. But they still didn't change the actual score....  The much better approach would have been to give it a 4.5, cutting the single player score in half (which it didn't deserve a 9 either but I digress) since multiplayer was totally broken and thats half the game at least.  But they want to retain access and not piss off the hand that feeds them, so of course they don't do that.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/nq6eex/lost_connection_to_a_lobby_while_loading_into_the/h0ago7o/?context=3

I argue in this Reddit post that there are alternative measures 343 could take to address high quit rates as opposed to just increasing quit penalties.

My suggestions are as follows:

• Subject teams to stricter SBMM parameters to have more balanced lobbies so that new players don't feel obligated to quit when their team is getting predictably crushed.
  • Evaluate the quit rates on a map/gametype basis. If everyone quits a certain combination, but stays in another, weigh the latter more heavily on a dynamic basis that updates based on if the quit rates change.
  • Make addressing instability a development priority. I appreciate new cosmetics and updates to CE's visuals as much as anyone else, but rectifying the instability that MCC remains subject to should be the main concern of the developers working on it. If two players are kicked out of a game because of system instability, then the remaining players on their team will intuitively be more likely to leave.

I think that Halo needs a very significant overhaul if you want to address the quitting issues. There are so many layers to the problem because they don't seem to care to work on it or don't want to prioritize correcting everything. We need to be able to reconnect to matches that are in progress if we disconnect in ranked gameplay. We need a forfeit or mercy rule to end games that are unbelievably out of hand. We need to punish people who quit intentionally but also not just destroy people who occasionally disconnect and definitely need to stop punishing people who's game crashes or freezes especially on console because that's almost entirely 343's fault. Being able to reconnect with no penalty over some reasonable window would fix this.

Once they address all of those things they have to stick to their guns and keep it that way because the biggest problem of them all is that the community that still plays has experienced a game/world where quitting out is acceptable and honestly a very regular experience. If you're losing a game your teammates bounce on MCC A LOT of the time so you have to correct that behavior which will take time. Instead of just punishing the people who quit I think they should also look into rewarding people who stay and try to make the game a better experience 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I still think an H3-like progression system where EXP is rewarded one-per-win and is lost via quitting would do a lot to mitigate people leaving matches. If it were up to me, quitting would result in minus 2 EXP, which would pretty much negate your last two wins, and of course could affect your overall rank if enough quits were accumulated. 

I also didn’t mind Reach’s quit probation system where if you quit out of enough matches over a 24-hour period, it would result in a 48-hour (or however long it lasted) probation where if you quit out of a match, you’d be banned from matchmaking for ten minutes, but only ever ten minutes and nothing more no matter how many times you quit. 

I think if you combined these two things with a vote-to-surrender option as well as the ability to rejoin a match after being disconnected, the quitting issue would more or less be solved. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1