CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

3 hours ago, Sitri said:

It would require work. They've promised so many other features that haven't been delivered yet.

Speaking of how long it takes them to implement things, how damn long does it take to make a damn server browser???? 

This should have been done ages ago, I mean wasn't the whole reason that Halo Online was even so popular in the first place because you could join a server of your choosing, on maps and gametypes created by the community, instead of being solely limited to the same tired old maps and gametypes we have played for years on end in MM.

How did a team of modders with no funding achieve what they did with Eldewrito and in the time span they did it in while 343 can't implemenet a simple server browser with unlimited Microsoft $$$ and multiple+ years of development. It's just such a huge missed opportunity and the fact they are adding a server browser now doesn't really matter at this point with MCC PC being dead in the water and Infinite right around the corner

If Infinite doesn't have a server browser and forge at launch with the year delay they have had then that will be a real mindfuck.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Someone come up with any conceivable reason why we don't have a "forfeit" function.

The real answer is that it would work well but it requires someone to actually do the work to implement the feature. After someone reviewed the likely cost in man hours for the feature it was deemed to not be as important as what they're actively working on and thus pushed back into the world of "cool ideas that we don't have time for". Obviously I don't work for 343 so something else could have happened but there is a 99.99% chance that this is what actually happened.

The same goes for the server browser and every other feature we've ever received from 343. Someone is managing the time of the developers and pointing their team in the direction it goes so the pace of fixes, updates and additions to the game are all being controlled by someone. They're not just showing up to work and doing whatever they feel like. They're working on meeting expectations for whatever was deemed important and then continuing to work on other priorities as they can. 

I personally think it would improve the experience for a lot of people who play but my read of the situation is that its probably not very simple to implement and its not a feature that will cause someone to buy the game so it'll just keep getting pushed back in favor of working on things that are easier to implement that improve the game or big enough to draw more attention to the game. It sucks that that is where it landed but that seems to be what is happening

7 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Someone come up with any conceivable reason why we don't have a "forfeit" function.

Before anyone dismisses my reason, note he said conceivable.

because CoD doesn’t have one

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I would love a forfeit option but also a reconnect option. Sometimes internet cuts or or PC's freeze or weird shit happens. Let me reconnect to the damn match.

There are plenty of ways to stop fuccboiwhale parties. Infinite will be free which means the playerbase will be quite high. If the ultra-sweats want to party up and play, the game is absolutely smart enough to narrow the people they play against right down. If you have a team of 8 with 984593859035 hours played, don't have them oppose my team of 4 casuals plus 4 randoms. Aside from being garbage, the biggest turn off in Warzone was the constant whale parties.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/14/2021 at 2:57 AM, Shekkles said:

Unfortunately this is unfixable in MCC due to playerbase size but in Infinite I hope we see it less if at all. The exact same issue happed in Warzone in Halo 5. The 12-whale parties would just storm through slapping 12 poor randoms.

This who mess could easily be fixed by implementing H5's soft party restrictions that Menke implemented before he left. It factors in party size + player skill and then MM finds either a same-size party of similar skill or pairs randoms/small stacks with higher skill to outweigh the party benefit. This would immediately deal with the party advantage.

An 8-man stack of such tryhards will probably search for a long time and rarely get a game with such system. That is a great thing, because if there's no fair match available then there shouldn't be a match at all.

Also there are additional incentives to go for the quick W instead of farming for 20 minutes:

• XP/CR bonus for winning quickly (if only XP in MCC wasnt completely worthless past lvl. 100)
  • Stop promoting K/D as a measure of skill everywhere
  • No more dumbass challenges that require getting tons of kills like Achilles
  • Bring back playlist XP ranks from H3
  • Make these people play ranked! Maybe their fragile ego can't handle facing people of equal skill, but as it is there just isn't enough reward for playing ranked.

Also I miss the "feature" where you could block people and no longer match them in MM. Yes it was abused in rank but that shit was a godsend for dealing with toxic tryhard stacks in social.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Basu said:

Excellent suggestions

I vote all of the above.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

After someone reviewed the likely cost in man hours for the feature it was deemed to not be as important as what they're actively working on and thus pushed back into the world of "cool ideas that we don't have time for".

Oh look it's the exact reason Halo never rebounded

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Oh look it's the exact reason Halo never rebounded

Yeah I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that every unsuccessful game wasn't working on the correct things lol. That process of deciding what to work on and what to not work on happens with every single game ever even in the very best games you lost some feature we probably never even heard about that would've been amazing 

11 hours ago, Basu said:

Make these people play ranked! Maybe their fragile ego can't handle facing people of equal skill, but as it is there just isn't enough reward for playing ranked.

This is also a major problem. Can't tell you how many times I am playing a social game, see someone who dominates or does really well (even when the game is competitive and well balanced) and then I look at their player profile after the match and their highest rank in any competitive playlist is 11 or sometimes they haven't played ranked at all.  

You are much more likely to get good games in competitive H3 Team slayer for instance than in social matchmaking anyways, that is probably why they don't want to do it though. Maybe something as simple getting more XP in ranked would help. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NAK said:

This is also a major problem. Can't tell you how many times I am playing a social game, see someone who dominates or does really well (even when the game is competitive and well balanced) and then I look at their player profile after the match and their highest rank in any competitive playlist is 11 or sometimes they haven't played ranked at all.  

You are much more likely to get good games in competitive H3 Team slayer for instance than in social matchmaking anyways, that is probably why they don't want to do it though. Maybe something as simple getting more XP in ranked would help. 

Exclusive skins for ranks. More XP and aesthetic bonuses. Make the sweat visible, but well earned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, TI Inspire said:

Checking the legacy Halo Tracker leaderboards and I think some old, highly ranked accounts on at least one leaderboard were removed.

I say this because I checked the Halo: Reach Plasma Rifle leaderboard because I remembered that I had memed my way into the top 10 of it years ago. Well... now I'm checking it again, and it shows me as #1.

edit: Apparently I'm #2 with the Spiker... I have 46 kills and #1 has 57. I don't know if should bother going for #1 xD.

edit2: Yeah, these leaderboards are busted, lots of accounts aren't showing in general, oh well.

A big shame. I loved going through the halotracker for halo 3. It was so disappointing for halo4 and mcc in that regard. 343 even promised it for mcc... 7 years later... still not here

1 hour ago, NAK said:

counterpoint. Why would I want to play broken h1-h3 and try to be competitive? Like there is some fun in playing these broken games but playing 200 games to get to rank 30 in 1 playlist is never going to happen for me. 

2 hours ago, Riddler said:

counterpoint. Why would I want to play broken h1-h3 and try to be competitive? Like there is some fun in playing these broken games but playing 200 games to get to rank 30 in 1 playlist is never going to happen for me. 

Because you end up having to play "competitively" in the social games anyways if you want to have fun half the time. The argument is harder depending on the game and how well it actually plays in MCC though. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Riddler said:

Absolutely valid point. It's not fixable in MCC. It is in Infinite though.

I would say that MCC H3 is actually better than OG H3. I'm not familiar enough with MCC H4 to say anything about that game but after the efforts they've focused almost exclusively on H3 I'm pretty comfortable saying that that game is now simply better than it ever was. MCC is basically Halo 3 anniversary but people don't know it because it wasn't marketed as such. 

If that wasn't what they were going for I don't really know what to tell them. It would take actual years of work on Halo CE and Halo 2 to turn that perception around now. Maybe its just that they succeeded with making Halo 3 a better game where they failed to find acceptable middle grounds and fixes for Halo CE and 2 because it was more modern and easier to work with or maybe they really did just put in mostly Halo 3 work I'm not sure

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3

10 hours ago, NAK said:

Heh, this could be me you're describing. I've played a little ranked on MCC, enough to be somewhere in the teens (<3 Reach Hardcore) but the search times and rank ups are both so slow. I wish the system was less grindy and just put you where you belong quickly like H5 did... 
But mostly I play Social H3 BTB one day a week with my IRL friend who just doesn't play shooters. He's typically getting less than 5 kills per game whereas I'm frequently dropping 35-50 kills, and the rest of the lobby is usually somewhere in between (I wouldn't even say I'm particularly good, the matchmaking is just strange and feels like the average player it finds should be a bit better?).
It's a weird problem to have - I've not really played Halo consistently for a few years now, but I played enough of it back in the day to still have the muscle memory and timers etc mostly memorised, and have mained Destiny 2 since so despite having low ranks and not a lot of current experience my generic FPS skills haven't atrophied at all.

On the other hand we matched against Naded last weekend. Matchmaking in this game just feels weird.

And on a slightly different topic, I really didn't care all that much for H3 back in the day after experiencing the consistency of ZBNS Reach and H5, but the various improvements it's had on MCC really make it a lot more enjoyable. Most of the sandbox still feels way too weak imo, but at least the BR feels like it works now.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NAK said:

I would also say this is me when I do play. It's not uncommon to have half of the teams kills in a slayer, all the flag caps, etc. I just don't want to grind ranked for Halo 3 because I barely enjoy it enough to turn it on in social unless I want faster games. Same goes for reach. Also I can't imagine the quitting problem is any better at low ranks. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, Snipe Three said:

I would say that MCC H3 is actually better than OG H3. I'm not familiar enough with MCC H4 to say anything about that game but after the efforts they've focused almost exclusively on H3 I'm pretty comfortable saying that that game is now simply better than it ever was. MCC is basically Halo 3 anniversary but people don't know it because it wasn't marketed as such. 

This made me think back on why they didn’t create an h3 anniversary title. The difference between hce and hce anniversary was the greatest in term of graphic detail, art, and animation.  H3 in comparison may not have yielded such a night and day difference to make the investment worthwhile.

I mean, they literally said that h3 still looked good. I think they could at most, give everything new textures and models but keep the engine basically the same. Maybe better lod as well.

H3 just doesn't need all that much changing to keep the player grounded in its world design.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Just give us BLUR cutscenes! :prayers:

I liked the Blur cutscenes for a bit (except for their shitty audio mixing) but changed my mind when I heard Marty O'donnell talk about it. He said that he did not like that 343 didn't respect design decisions Bungie made in 2004. One of those was not using pre-rendered cutscenes and instead using in-engine cutscenes. This decision was made so that you never have a "graphics jump" or an immersion break.

Additionally he offered 343 the sheet music for Halo 2 and they were specfically told not to contact him. All the music in Halo 2A campaign is made without the original sheet music, which is why some of the notes are off.

Whilst I think the blur cinematics are very visually appealing, I actually really like the Bungie decision not to use them to avoid a "graphics jump" or to break immersion from beautiful cutscene to downgraded normal graphics.

• Like (+1) 1

343s lack of respect for any of bungies work is honestly disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

343s lack of respect for any of bungies work is honestly disgusting. 

Bungies lack of respect for Hardy LeBel's work is honestly way more disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 3